Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total Warhammer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total Warhammer  (Read 50574 times)
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: December 22, 2016, 02:25:49 AM

Bought this as my first total war game because I cannot resist cheesy Warhammer stuff, and so far not been hugely grabbed by it. the real time battles seem more like massive brawls than anything - does more stuff unlock later on that turns it into something more complicated than just ploughing vast armies into each other head on?

(I'm playing Vampire counts, so don't yet have archers / artillery / cavalry...)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #141 on: December 22, 2016, 10:59:00 AM

VS have some of the best cavalry in the game (Blood Knights!), but otherwise they play exactly as you described.  For more skirmishing and tactics with the default races, you'll want to try the Empire next.  Greenskins are an interesting challenge, too, since you have to play more aggressively with your armies to avoid infighting and attrition losses.

If you picked up the King and the Warlord DLC, that includes a Greenskin subfaction that can only recruit goblins until you accomplish a difficult strategic objective, which is a great twist on the campaign.
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: December 28, 2016, 01:47:40 PM

i went by a GW store today and grabbed a handful of extra grombrindal/20% off codes - send me a pm and i'll send you one while i've got spares.  should stack with the sale (i think?)

edit: all gone, alas!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:55:52 PM by drogg »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: January 11, 2017, 07:06:38 AM

They just announced Grombrimdal will be available to everyone from 19th jan.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:28 AM

I've been waiting for a sale to pick this up, this month it's part of humble monthly (https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly) so $10.80 for new customers. There's no DLC included though, unless any is announced later in the month.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 06, 2017, 06:07:46 AM

Bretonnia free for everyone from 28th feb.

Cavalry are a lot more fun than things that aren't cavalry so should be good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #146 on: February 06, 2017, 08:41:24 AM

The Bretonnians are already in the game. Is this new Bret stuff?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #147 on: February 06, 2017, 09:08:30 AM

They aren't playable in the grand campaign yet, so that will be added as well as new units and probably a fair amount of balancing.  They should also be tweaking the AI for the Wood Elves so they aren't so aggressive anymore.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: February 10, 2017, 03:32:28 AM

I've been waiting for a sale to pick this up, this month it's part of humble monthly (https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly) so $10.80 for new customers. There's no DLC included though, unless any is announced later in the month.

Most of the DLC unlocks other races as player factions so you don't really need it to start with. Or at most you only need the one for the race you want to play first.

drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: March 31, 2017, 12:23:45 PM

sequel trailer dropped this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #150 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:28 PM

So not really so much as a sequel as it is a new campaign with 4 completely different races (High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and a 4th mystery race) sold as a completely new game as opposed to DLC for TWWH 1.

Every time CA does something right, they do something like that which really pisses me off. Though now that I read further, apparently owners of both 1 and 2 will get a combined massive campaign map that encompasses both maps from both games (the 2nd one is a new map). And they plan a trilogy of games like this.

K.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #151 on: March 31, 2017, 06:02:54 PM

Not sure how that sounds bad in any way.  That's pretty much my dream scenario.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:15:44 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #152 on: March 31, 2017, 09:45:53 PM

Well, you're basically paying another $60 for a game in the same engine/expansion pack.

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: April 01, 2017, 03:00:51 AM

Well, you're basically paying another $60 for a game in the same engine/expansion pack.
Sooooo, pretty much how the first four iterations of Blood Bowl worked?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #154 on: April 01, 2017, 11:34:03 AM

Touche.

I was kind of hoping that barring a new engine or significant improvement, they'd just keep releasing expansions as DLC for the thing, maybe in $30 pairs (which would end up being the same amount of money just dragged out over time) with a custom campaign. A straight up sequel seems overkill.

Of course, as much as I like the Warhammer game, I'd really love to see them redo Medieval Total War now that they learned how to not fuck up game development again.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: April 01, 2017, 12:20:18 PM

So not really so much as a sequel as it is a new campaign with 4 completely different races (High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and a 4th mystery race) sold as a completely new game as opposed to DLC for TWWH 1.

Every time CA does something right, they do something like that which really pisses me off. Though now that I read further, apparently owners of both 1 and 2 will get a combined massive campaign map that encompasses both maps from both games (the 2nd one is a new map). And they plan a trilogy of games like this.

K.

Uh, it's much better than four separate DLC.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: April 01, 2017, 12:21:05 PM

You are paying 60 bucks for 4 different DLC that go for 20 bucks each.

I am the .00000001428%
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #157 on: April 01, 2017, 05:09:43 PM

They asked $60 for a map and four playable races with Total Warhammer.

They're asking $60 for a map and four playable races with Total Warhammer 2.

If you thought the first game was worth the price they asked I don't see how you could consider the sequel to not be worth the same price.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #158 on: April 01, 2017, 08:39:31 PM

Hint: I didn't pay $60 for the first game and I bought all the DLC on sale. I am a cheap bastard.  why so serious?

Yeah, it's not that bad. I overreacted a little bit.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #159 on: April 02, 2017, 03:03:22 PM

I've also read some speculation that they'll be adding actual naval battles to the second game, so that's a pretty big overhaul.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: April 03, 2017, 03:09:37 AM

They came out and said they won't be.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: April 03, 2017, 08:19:05 AM

Good, they are boring in TW.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #162 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:51 AM

Oh, that's a shame.  The boat icons when moving armies by sea were great, I was looking forward to seeing the models in battle.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: May 12, 2017, 12:11:42 PM

Lizardmen "in-engine" trailer.

https://youtu.be/KfO-pdyNWvg

Looks good.

Been playing this again since they added more minor faction as playable in the campaign

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:19 AM

If you haven't played this much this year - it is now better.

Balance has been tweaked a fair bit and various factions now have alternate more interesting campaign starts. For example you can start as exiled dwarfs at the wrong end of the map or as goblins rather than Orcs.

Also they just announced you get Norse as a playable race if you buy total warhammer 2 as a preorder. Which is cool because chaos are a godawful faction to play and I'm rather hoping Norse will fix that.

Edit: I guess beastmen already did fix shit chaos. But it can be fixed twice if I say so.

Edit2: Norse game footage trailer

https://youtu.be/q8jFCMB-eHU
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:09:22 PM by eldaec »

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 20, 2017, 12:57:37 AM

Yeah, it's a pretty great game now, especially with the steel faith overhaul mod activated.

And you are right that Norscan needs some love, as they feel a wee bit like chaos light and not distinct enough. I have heard that they will also expand Norsca from 2 subfactions to maybe as much as 8. I don't know if it is true, but it would liven up the north. Could be interesting if Norsca factions had to compete for the favor of the chaos gods more directly.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total Warhammer  
Jump to: