Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:08:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Agent Carter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Agent Carter  (Read 31074 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 08:45:15 PM

That costs extra.   awesome, for real
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 07, 2015, 09:21:09 PM

This was renewed for a season 2.  I'm kinda glad about that, I liked the first season.  I just hope they do the same 8 episode deal, I don't know if the show would work for more than that.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 04:29:43 PM

The logline for Season 2: “Peggy must now journey from New York City to Los Angeles for her most dangerous assignment yet,” where she “discovers new friends, a new home… and perhaps even a new love.”

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 12:35:27 AM

So, this is on TV.

Still better than Agents.

Still not as good as Netflix.

They seem to be setting up to cover the creation and inflitration of Shield. Also making it about the black goo that showed up in Agents is a neat crossover.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:36:20 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 03:05:47 AM

Different black goo.  This ties into Doctor Strange.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 03:55:17 AM

Enjoy it while you can.  Apparently won't be getting a 3rd.

Heartbreak

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 08:55:42 AM

I think that coffin was nailed when Most Wanted got the light. I bet we see more Atwell in the future (in flashbacks to earlier years on SHIELD, in movie flashbacks, etc...), but this show is done. I hope we gather a MAOS episode somewhere that wraps up the loose ends they preserve at the end of this season, though... maybe even freeze Dottie like Winter Soldier was frozen so that she can go modern... 

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 11:49:41 AM

1 down one more to go  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 12:11:17 PM

Enjoy it while you can.  Apparently won't be getting a 3rd.

Heartbreak

Well at least we got 2, it was originally a 1 season thing.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 12:28:17 PM

If you're saying Agent Carter down, MAoS to go: MAoS and Most Wanted are going to be on the air in the next year. 1 liekly down, 2 still going.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 12:32:51 PM

If you're saying Agent Carter down, MAoS to go: MAoS and Most Wanted are going to be on the air in the next year. 1 liekly down, 2 still going.

I can dream.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 08, 2016, 01:17:09 PM

NaCl required, but there is a rumor going around that despite horrible ratings there will be a season 3.  I'd like to see it - and see it cover the start of SHIELD.  For the season 3 premiere, I'd take the short that was shot at the end of Cap I, expand it (fully reshot) into a full length episode and then run with it for a final season of the show.

Nerd Reactor Article

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:34 PM

I watched series one of Agent Carter, and it was fine enough in an unremarkable way, and I am only a few episodes behind on series 2, but if it gets renewed again with its consistently awful - and declining - audience ratings then the criteria are clearly not commercial.

I also watched the first two series of MAoS and it got poorer and poorer as it went on.  The "we are a family" thing that got pushed in a more and more puzzling manner, leading to the "oh they wanted us to think that that would be a huge betrayal" thing was never earned, just asserted. 

Basically I watched Daredevil, Fargo, Mr Robot and I simply could not make myself go back to watching the pap that Agents of Shield was serving up.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #48 on: March 17, 2016, 02:59:46 PM

I would agree that the network series, Carter and Shield, are much weaker than the Netflix series. Compared to the DC stuff (generic soap drama in spandex, for the most part) they aren't bad, but the failure to really connect to any other element of the MCU combined with network blandness spread all over them really makes them suffer by comparison to Netflix.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 17, 2016, 03:07:41 PM

I would agree that the network series, Carter and Shield, are much weaker than the Netflix series. Compared to the DC stuff (generic soap drama in spandex, for the most part) they aren't bad, but the failure to really connect to any other element of the MCU combined with network blandness spread all over them really makes them suffer by comparison to Netflix.

Agreed: compared to stuff like Arrow they are pretty decent, but even amongst superhero stuff the netflix offerings like Jessica Jones and Daredevil blow them away.

I watch about four hours of TV a week at most, but I had to ration myself with series 2 of Fargo or I could have watched it in a night or two.  I make myself watch Agent Carter because my wife likes it.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #50 on: March 17, 2016, 03:17:30 PM

To be fair,  Netflix is kicking network ass on nearly everything, but it's really stark on the MCU stuff. Only a handful of premium cable series are as good as most Netflix offerings, and nothing on broadcast or basic cable (excepting AMC) comes close.

JJ and DD were just some of the best TV ever, that's a pretty high bar to be measuring Carter and MAoS against.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 17, 2016, 08:21:35 PM

Carter and Shield is like Legends of Tomorrow without the fun or interesting characters. The problem with Legends is its plot and internal logic, Carter and Shield only has its plot and internal logic and fails miserably. Where as Legends was mostly inspired to cash in on the side characters fans wanted to see more of and to extend the cw superhero brand, carter and shield were the brain child of marketing execs being told to sell marvel tshirts.

I think the only credit the marvel network tv shows get is that there still on the air.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 07:46:17 PM

Well this is cancelled.  I was hoping for another season, or a short season, to show the founding of SHIELD.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 08:01:52 PM

Well she died and all..

why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 08:10:26 PM

Damnit. I thought 2nd season was much better than the first, and they left it on a damn cliffhanger of sorts.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 08:17:13 PM

Marvel's Most Wanted didn't get picked up either.  Which means no more Adrienne Palicki in tight clothing.  :(
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 08:26:54 PM

Fiancee is pissed, it's literally the only fictional show we watch.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 09:05:47 PM

Fiancee is pissed, it's literally the only fictional show we watch.

Well Hayley Atwell's other show did get picked up for series.  So if you like the actress she'll have something else.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 13, 2016, 10:30:08 AM

Damnit. I thought 2nd season was much better than the first, and they left it on a damn cliffhanger of sorts.

Funny how that goes. The second season's lighter tone wasn't so much to my liking, but my wife liked it a lot (I think it might have been a welcome change from my usual preference for grimdark Netflix offerings).

But I'll still miss it, even though it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for when I first began watching.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #59 on: May 13, 2016, 11:48:24 AM

I thought the chemistry between Jarvis and Carter, especially their comedic timing and tone, was what really made it an enjoyable watch. The Marvel tie-ins and adventure-y bits were just icing on the cake. Also, Hayley Atwell.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 01:27:24 PM

I read that Netflix might revive it.  There was a petition or some such.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 01:44:15 PM

A true rated R Agent Carter is what is always should have been for spy drama set in the pre-cold war era.  Concepts like sexism and racism were given lip service but never really had any bite to them, treated with kid gloves so to speak.  Unfortunately two seasons on a very pg network could have already poisoned the well, they can't exactly just go back and redo those seasons and changing the entire tone of the show would be weird too.   They could keep it exactly the same and bring it to netflix but it was never received that well in the first place.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18:49 PM

Concepts like sexism and racism were given lip service but never really had any bite to them, treated with kid gloves so to speak. 

This is why this lackluster show will never be taken seriously. Given an R rating and the first thing we want to see? The evils of being called sugar titts. Yes a show about a spy who literally one of the key holders of the fate of the free world, the most exciting aspect of her story is being called sugar titts. Gotta put some "respek" on her name.

Glad this crap got shitcanned.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 13, 2016, 04:02:36 PM

It's not what the show should be about but it's a symptom of why it was bad,  the whole show felt sanitized and watered down.  When you have a black scientist, in the 40's and the worst you get is "oh I thought you were the janitor"  it asks more of the audience on perhaps a subconscious level than people might immediately realize.  You know that italian gangster would be dropping the N bomb left and right, you know a lot worse than "sugar tits" would be happening and you know people would be smoking like chimneys. 

Network dramas only work when the characters seem real, Carter's world itself seemed unreal and when you add super science on top of that it all just falls apart.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 13, 2016, 04:15:32 PM

I thought the chemistry between Jarvis and Carter, especially their comedic timing and tone, was what really made it an enjoyable watch. The Marvel tie-ins and adventure-y bits were just icing on the cake. Also, Hayley Atwell.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I agree, definitely our favorite part of the show. The casting in general was quite strong, though the mobster part was an obvious miscast (made more obvious by the better acting happening around him).
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 06:54:43 PM

A true rated R Agent Carter is what is always should have been for spy drama set in the pre-cold war era.  Concepts like sexism and racism were given lip service but never really had any bite to them, treated with kid gloves so to speak.  Unfortunately two seasons on a very pg network could have already poisoned the well, they can't exactly just go back and redo those seasons and changing the entire tone of the show would be weird too.   They could keep it exactly the same and bring it to netflix but it was never received that well in the first place.

They wouldn't have to go hard R -- maybe amp it up just a shade south of Daredevil (I was going to say Jessica Jones, then I remembered the sex scenes). And just skip the timeline forward a few years to the fifties to make the change of tone less jarring.

But that's just wishful thinking -- I doubt Netflix or Amazon or AMC or whatever will pick it up. For one thing the budget to do a really good period piece is just too high unless the show is really raking in the viewers. And a good spy drama needs to keep jumping locations, which means more period set dressing, which costs more than I think anyone is willing to pay.

Shame really. I liked the young Howard Stark a lot, and was hoping to see him finally settle down and do his part in forming SHIELD.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 11:50:52 PM

The tone played off what was establisghed in Cap I.  Sanitized and optimistic.  No grit at all.  Although they could have made a Netlix-esque gritty period drama with her at the center, that was not the show they made.  It was a pop serial.  I love Atwell, but I felt like they never really had a great show here,  It was my least favorite Marvel show - still watchable,  but not great. 

I would not be surprised if ABC doesn't have any Marvel shows on the air in the fall of 2017.  However, I hope that what we're seeing is ABCrealizing that they don't need to have 3 versions of MAoS on the air when they could instead be putting a show together featuring a character that has their own comic book.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #67 on: May 14, 2016, 02:53:53 AM

One thing I'll say about Agent Carter is at least they did short seasons. Fuck I can't handle 20+ episode seasons any more, especially with villains that last throughout the season. I'm incredibly sick of Damien Darhk, Zoom, and Hive in their respective shows. The network tv model just needs to die off for good at this point.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #68 on: May 14, 2016, 07:25:03 AM

The 6 to 13 episode series, even the limited ones, have spoiled me, too, for the most part.  I guess when you have less episodes you can spend more money on each, afford better actors, etc. and it shows.  Also, the way some of the comic book series have gone dark and gritty makes it nearly impossible for me to watch the network ones.  Too fluffy now.  The only reason I occasionally watch the DC Adventure one is because of the two blokes from Prison Break and the main bad guy. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 16, 2016, 06:25:06 AM

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-save-agent-carter-bring-her-to-netflix

Even if you didn't like the show, sign to show your support for more Marvel stuff on tv in general :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Agent Carter  
Jump to: