Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 11:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 547737 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:03 PM

How to solve the problem that it is usually easier to gank someone for their resources than gather your own?

No inventory drop upon death solves that.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:46 PM

How to solve the problem that it is usually easier to gank someone for their resources than gather your own?

What is this some kind of casual bullshit game already? 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:57 PM

And .. don't be a little bitch?                                               awesome, for real

- Viin
WayAbvPar

Reply #423 on: January 29, 2015, 02:38:21 PM

Interesting server hierarchy. I wonder if there will be any bonuses for playing on the FFA server. And I still really, really, REALLY hate the art style. God it is fucking hideous.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: January 29, 2015, 03:03:05 PM

Darkfall fixed a lot SB's "crush" issues by making city locations fixed, and not completely destroyable. People could easily re-bind in chaos cities or in allies territory and then re-build damaged buildings later unless the enemy won it.

Darkfall had a lot of other issues, such as a heavy, korean-like grind, no skill caps which made "battle-mage" with every skill maxed basically the best class. Lack of flavour, lore, and commerce systems, meant the only thing to do was arena style fights. Then the devs had financial issues so updates to fix this were/are very slow.

But they did manage to make one hell of an engine, really great physics, the kind of stuff you could do with levitate style spells and other movement ones was ridiculous, tribes style skiing, or slingshoting/boosting yourself up thousands of feet of sheer cliff.

The grind really wrecked it though, people were macroing all night to boost a single spell 10-20 points (of 100), etc. All to get your perfect battle-mage character to fully enjoy the fast paced, very twitchy combat.  Why not just play games like quake live, war thunder, or warband instead? Lots gave up and did just that.

If you could combine the best elements of both games, that cut out the grind, prevented the unrecoverable 'crush' defeat, had a solid stable engine, and the game was balanced properly, rich in lore and non-combat things to do, it could be really successful. There's a lot of gamers all throughout the more twitch gaming world who would sign on for something like that, like they did on Darkfall/Shadowbane launches before the flawed games chased them off.
WayAbvPar

Reply #425 on: January 29, 2015, 03:30:23 PM

Agree with most of that. Lots to like in Darkfall, but it definitely needed some help. I loved the use-based skill gain and the multiple schools of magic, and the twitchy combat. Needed A LOT more players and some sort of economy for sure. Decent sized world with lots to explore, and a feeling of danger. But it was indeed hellishly grindy, especially for a new player vs vets.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #426 on: January 29, 2015, 03:47:42 PM

That is not a problem at all. That is one of the main points of a game of this kind. It is obviously not for everyone, which is fine isn't it?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: January 29, 2015, 04:21:21 PM

Yeah, that is sorta the reason for people to kill each other.

I am the .00000001428%
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:37 PM

why so serious?
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: January 29, 2015, 04:57:00 PM

Obviously, the lack of hat looting is why TF2 failed to catch on.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #430 on: January 29, 2015, 08:49:41 PM

Obviously, the lack of hat looting is why TF2 failed to catch on.

Did you actually just try to make that comparison?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: January 29, 2015, 08:52:39 PM

I think it's more fair than it seems because the reality is that fun combat sells itself.  That is true regardless of the genre.  What you want is to START with great, fun, engaging combat.  You should never feel like you're putting up with a garbage combat system because the full loot gameplay gives it "meaning."  If you want to add full loot on to a great combat system, then fine have that discussion.  But the fact remains that people will PvP for its own sake if you make it actually GOOD.  That should be the first order of business.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: January 29, 2015, 08:58:49 PM

What does that have anything to do with anything? You just said "make sure you make your game fun at it's core". Bravo. That can be applied to any single conversation about a game. His argument was "we don't need full loot pvp because this shooter fps game over here doesn't have it." Which is stupid.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:12 AM

Reading their comments on healing killed my interest for this title.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: January 30, 2015, 05:40:14 AM

What does that have anything to do with anything? You just said "make sure you make your game fun at it's core". Bravo. That can be applied to any single conversation about a game. His argument was "we don't need full loot pvp because this shooter fps game over here doesn't have it." Which is stupid.

No, his argument wasn't that.  His argument was that people will PvP even when full loot isn't involved if the combat is good.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: January 30, 2015, 05:42:26 AM

Do people stick around in PvE MMOs when the combat is good and the loot isn't?

EDIT to clarify. A good combat is always very important. But it has been proven before that it is not enough in MMOs, not to mention it's very hard to do in massively multiplayer games for obvious technical reasons. Comparing a 16v16 arena combat game like TF to an MMO makes no sense whatsoever. Even with good combat, the majority of people leave MMOs and start calling it "grindy" if they don't get rewarded for their performances. This is equally true in PvE and PvP. Unless you want to bring into the bogus comparison game stuff like Soul Calibur or Street Fighter. In that case, I give up and you win. This game should clearly ditch the resource looting and make combat a hybrid of Battlefield and Tekken. Moneyhats!  why so serious?

And his argument is still stupid because sure people have been killing each other in PvP over the past 10 years of "meaningless" MMOs anyway, MMOs where killing a player doesn't give you anything, or they do it in arena games since Doom and before. But clearly, this one game here is being made for those who prefer to have (game)reasons to kill each other in order to create diplomatic and social layers which have been missing since Shadowbane and EVE. So yes, resource and corpse looting will be the engine of this one M M O because that's a requested feature.  What does Team Fotress have to do with this? It's just nitpicking what Threash wrote and trying to pull it out of context for no good reason.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:03:47 AM by Falconeer »

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #436 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:28 AM

Has there ever been a PvE MMO with good combat?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: January 30, 2015, 06:10:15 AM

Even with good combat, the majority of people leave MMOs and start calling it "grindy" if they don't get rewarded for their performances.

That's because fighting AI over and over again is boring compared to fighting real people.  But I'll just make it simple and relate it back to this game.  Whether or not I play this game has exactly nothing to do with whether or not they choose to make it full loot.   The combat isn't the only consideration either, but it's way more important than whether I can take a guy's stuff.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #438 on: January 30, 2015, 06:29:20 AM

I only care about combat and crafting.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #439 on: January 30, 2015, 07:07:58 AM

Has there ever been a PvE MMO with good combat?
Yes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #440 on: January 30, 2015, 07:14:33 AM

Which one(s)?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: January 30, 2015, 07:59:31 AM

TERA.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: January 30, 2015, 08:06:39 AM

TERA was PVE? I certainly never played it that way.

And I quit because there wasn't an endgame, and there still isn't an endgame. It doesn't matter how fun the combat is if there's nothing to do.

See TERA, GW2, etc.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #443 on: January 30, 2015, 08:45:38 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: January 30, 2015, 08:50:08 AM

TERA was PVE? I certainly never played it that way.

And I quit because there wasn't an endgame, and there still isn't an endgame. It doesn't matter how fun the combat is if there's nothing to do.

See TERA, GW2, etc.

TERA, sadly, had more PvE content than PvP, despite what they advertised. It took them more than two years to release some meaningful PvP expansion. In the meantime, it was PvE with random ganking, like pretty much every other MMO out there if you roll on a PvP server. And the prsence of optional and meaningless guild vs guild wars isn't enough to describe it as a PvP game.

And yes, your last line better clarifies the point I tried to make a few posts above: good combat doesn't save MMOs but it totally makes Arena games like Team Fortress where it doesn't matter if there's an endgame or not. They are for different crowds and imply different goals.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #445 on: January 30, 2015, 08:50:42 AM

See I knew people would say that one. Which is a damn shame because while I've never played it, that game proved that you can have decent combat, but if you wrap it in completely unappealing package people will not play it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: January 30, 2015, 08:56:54 AM

Blade & Soul might have good combat. I am trying it right now and I'll report about it. But I have to say: it probably falls in the same identical package TERA did. In fact, NC sued Bluehole because as far as I know an ex NC soft employee made TERA out of stuff that was supposed to go into NC's next project, originally Lineage 3, then morphed into Blade & Soul. It shouldn't be surprising they are similar.

But since we are on topic, it's important to underline that the best combat in MMOs have been made in South Korea for the last 5 years. See also the upcoming Black Desert. One big difference with Western releases though could be tracked back to the fact that Korean MMOs seem to be mostly client-sided, which leaves lots of holes to hacking but allows to do beautiful responsive combat, while Western releases try to prevent hacking by doing running most of the stuff on the server, which of course slows things down.

I am not a technician though so I might be talking out of my ass. So far, I'd say the most impressive Western released combat in a MMORPG is Guild Wars 2 without a doubt. Neverwinter was too instanced to matter, and I don't think it was better than GW2 combat anyway.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:29 AM

Yeah, bringing up Neverwinter is interesting.  I think the Cryptic MMOs (Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter) all have underrated combat systems.  It isn't the best ever, but it definitely is above average.  It kept me playing Champions a lot longer than I otherwise would have, that is for sure.  Particularly because I could turn off targeting and map my main abilities to the mouse to make it feel a bit like a third person shooter.

I found Guild Wars 2 combat to be pretty boring, but maybe I am an outlier in that regard.  But at base, hotkey style abilities/combat just isn't my favorite and even well done combat like that isn't going to ever feel great to me.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: January 30, 2015, 09:13:58 AM

Neverwinter combat really is great fun. I loved my ranger, that ability where the longer you channel the cone of attack narrows, allowing you to hit a bunch of enemies or focus all your damage on one... good stuff, man.

Anyone that hasn't tried Neverwinter really should give it a shot. It's not a long term MMO-- I played for a couple weeks then quit. But I had actual fun in those weeks. And of course it's completely free and you really, really don't have to pay anything.

I should try Star Trek sometime soon. I hear good things.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: January 30, 2015, 09:16:33 AM

See also the upcoming Black Desert.

You should forget about Black Desert right now. I just looks good in videos.

http://black-desert.com/articles/the-naked-truth-about-black-desert-onlines-current-state-of-affairs-open-beta/
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: January 30, 2015, 09:36:03 AM

Random thoughts on last reveal:

- Mixed feelings about no tab target combat.  I really, really don't want to have to bunny hop and jump-spin in a circle constantly to do pvp.

- The seem to be going with a 1.0-0.0 EVE model for their tiers of worlds (although it isn't 100% clear to me that the "Eternal Kingdoms" will be completely safe, PvE strongholds).  If that is really what they are doing, I hope all the best crafting resources are in the FFA tier and the other low tiers- otherwise we really do have overpopulated Trammel and deserted Felucca all over again.

Also, the rate of armor decay (for the two example world tiers) seems high (20% and 30% decay on death).   I'm betting that you can repair to an extent, but not permanently.  This fits with the decision to not have "magic armor" loot drops- you don't have to be terrified of losing your armor, because you can always go buy basically the same type again.  

- Will each race be limited to one archetype?  If Dwarves can only be Forgemasters, Centaurs only Legionnaires, etc. that seems fairly limiting.  I know each archetype goes into "Promotion Classes"- maybe Promotion classes are shared between races even if base archetypes are not?

- Love the "light on in-combat healing" decision, but I hope "light" doesn't mean "none."  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:38:31 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: January 30, 2015, 09:44:11 AM

- Love the "light on in-combat healing" decision, but I hope "light" doesn't mean "none."  
I would have agreed before playing dragon age 3, but that game proved that limited healing (in favor of proactive damage shields) could force some compelling tactical gameplay choices. Reactive healing is boring; every MMO is saddled with that whack-a-mole crap.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #452 on: January 30, 2015, 10:40:07 AM

I also thought the Dragon Age model would suck, but it doesn't. Instead it makes you actually think about fights and use positioning that makes a difference.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #453 on: January 30, 2015, 10:53:18 AM

Ya, combat should be fun, but by how's standards? Twitching McRedbull and Mr. EmpireBuilder probably have different views of what is fun.

So play2crush isn't actually a thing with Crowfall. 100% consensual PvP isn't the answer anymore than 0% is. But at this game won't be DoA.

"Me am play gods"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:53 AM

No, his argument wasn't that.  His argument was that people will PvP even when full loot isn't involved if the combat is good.

So what? I don't see the point. People play games for different reasons and incentives. People play multiple games for different reasons. Some people play both Hearthstone and MTG. Some people play HOTS and LOL. What the fuck does that argument even mean.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: