Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 10:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 547733 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:15 PM

To me the style suggests mobile game.  Not sure why, but that was my first thought when I saw the character creator screen.
WayAbvPar

Reply #246 on: January 14, 2015, 03:33:11 PM

It's not wrong or right, it's a matter of personal taste. I *personally* DETEST & DESPISE what in the western hemisphere seems to be known as "cartoon style".

Preach on, my brotha. HATE HATE HATE that shit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #247 on: January 14, 2015, 03:50:35 PM

I'm ambivalent about the art style. It reminds me of a lot of MOBA's that have been coming out recently - especially TOME and STRIFE (you have to all caps MOBA game titles apparently). How it animates is crucial to that type of style, though. Janky animation will make it look even shittier.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #248 on: January 14, 2015, 04:03:30 PM

I might be wrong but I think that some of the icons on the right part of that screenshots are taken from Shadowbane too.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #249 on: January 14, 2015, 07:04:10 PM

All of the style elements are stolen from somewhere else.  Looks like Torchlight to me.

This might seem an odd question, but what is "cartoon style" called in non-western places?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: January 14, 2015, 08:46:18 PM

Screenshot looks fine to me.  In a hardcore pvp mmo, anything that produces a non slideshow is by definition great.  I didn't think the play2crush and "anything that doesn't show a perfect reflection of the entire zone in every puddle of water suxxx" venn diagrams had much overlap for that basic reason.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #251 on: January 14, 2015, 09:48:05 PM

Eh, that just looks like a millionth game copying the "WoW style". I'm all out of fucks and outrage to give. swamp poop
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: January 14, 2015, 10:06:46 PM

Fuck that style. They probably found the only way to drive me off a hardcore PvP MMO.

I'm actually quite the opposite.  That route tells me they aren't so wedded to "realism" that can't be achieved with a low budget anyway that they could actually have some sense as a development team.

Or maybe the game will just suck either way.  Yeah, it's probably this one.  I can't see a game called Crowfall doing well.
Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. Part of me even wants to believe that they intentionally chose the goofiest-ass name they could think of to go along with the art style. It's almost like they're self-aware.

I do really like that "Dash Count" is a primary stat.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: January 15, 2015, 02:10:44 AM

Cartoony style isn't particularly interesting but it allows you to make low resolution characters that doesn't look awful. While it might not be interesting while you grind sheep intestines and stare at your female characters bum all day but its important for mass battles when an immense number of players are on the screen at the same time. Its hard not to forget Aion when everyone turned invisible during the big scale abyss fights.

Gameplay and performance trumps graphics and aesthetics.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: January 15, 2015, 02:45:19 AM

In a hardcore pvp mmo, anything that produces a non slideshow is by definition great.

No MMO has been a slideshow even with lots of people on screen since... Age of Conan and Aion? 2008? That was SEVEN years ago. In recent times Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online or even Archeage proved that you don't need shitty graphics to have 100+ people on screen butchering each other. The "slideshow" excuse is old and belongs to ancient times. You should stop believing it.

Also, you can make simplified models without resorting to "cartoon" style. I am not an artist, the burden of creativity is on them, sorry, and clearly they are kind of short on it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: January 15, 2015, 02:53:32 AM

This might seem an odd question, but what is "cartoon style" called in non-western places?

I don't know? Crap?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #256 on: January 15, 2015, 03:10:00 AM

When the alternative is all too often the soulless crap of EQ2/Vanguard et al, I'll go for the WoW/Torchlight-inspired look every time.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: January 15, 2015, 07:04:01 AM

This coming from a guy in love with SMITE's graphics. Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: January 15, 2015, 07:07:59 AM

When the alternative is all too often the soulless crap of EQ2/Vanguard et al, I'll go for the WoW/Torchlight-inspired look every time.

Yeah, I 100% agree with this.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: January 15, 2015, 07:10:10 AM

This coming from a guy in love with SMITE's graphics. Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Not in love. I think it's good and on par when not better than similar and more popular games, and so are the animations. If you say "graphics and animations are terrible" (which is what you said) that calls for a reality check, especially since you are apparently questioning the quality and not the style.

EDIT: Also, thanks for mentioning SMITE which is one out of a possible million examples of how to make colourful and not-so-realistic graphics that don't have much in common neither with EQ2 and Vanguard nor with WoW and cartoons. There's a lot of in-betweens you know? It's sad when no one even tries anymore.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:14:14 AM by Falconeer »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:04 AM

Not in love. I think it's good and on par when not better than similar and more popular games, and so are the animations. If you say "graphics and animations are terrible" (which is what you said) that calls for a reality check, especially since you are apparently questioning the quality and not the style.

EDIT: Also, thanks for mentioning SMITE which is one out of a possible million examples of how to make colourful and not-so-realistic graphics that don't have much in common neither with EQ2 and Vanguard nor with WoW and cartoons. There's a lot of in-betweens you know? It's sad when no one even tries anymore.

Again it's opinion because i don't think those screens look like crap either.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:12 AM

In recent times Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online or even Archeage proved that you don't need shitty graphics to have 100+ people on screen butchering each other.

Dude, you couldn't SEE most of the people in GW2. They didn't fix that for the first year of release! I spent the first month of the game using area effect skills at the ground because the players wouldn't ever load.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: January 15, 2015, 08:47:59 AM

Yes, me too, and they fixed it and it has been fixed for two years now. "We have the technology!"

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:16 AM

Also, thanks for mentioning SMITE which is one out of a possible million examples of how to make colourful and not-so-realistic graphics that don't have much in common neither with EQ2 and Vanguard nor with WoW and cartoons. There's a lot of in-betweens you know? It's sad when no one even tries anymore.
Are you serious? Because I just had a quick look, and if I wasn't told beforehand that's supposed to be a different game, between the style, the UI, combat graphics and the out-of-game artwork you'd easily make me believe that's just some new WoW expansion (post their graphics update(s) in particular)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: January 15, 2015, 10:09:34 AM

SMITE looks a lot closer to WoW than that screenshot does.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #265 on: January 15, 2015, 11:02:55 AM

I dislike MMOs that chase the "realism" graphics because of logistical issues, and because it ends up looking really dated in the span of 5 years. At which point they have to waste time updating it. Also graphics whoooooooooooooooores.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:13 AM

I dislike MMOs that chase the "realism" graphics because of logistical issues, and because it ends up looking really dated in the span of 5 years. At which point they have to waste time updating it. Also graphics whoooooooooooooooores.  why so serious?
Well, WoW might've bought itself some 5 extra years with the cartoonish style but still ended up looking dated to the point they went through upgrades Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #267 on: January 15, 2015, 11:26:51 AM

10 years is fine. Nothing you design will last beyond that graphically without looking dated.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: January 15, 2015, 03:55:42 PM

More sizzle

Pictures of a couple more classes, plus their guild crests (or whatever they are) arranged in a "tree".

At least these guys had some art ready to go before they made their announcement  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #269 on: January 15, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

In a hardcore pvp mmo, anything that produces a non slideshow is by definition great.

No MMO has been a slideshow even with lots of people on screen since... Age of Conan and Aion? 2008? That was SEVEN years ago. In recent times Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online or even Archeage proved that you don't need shitty graphics to have 100+ people on screen butchering each other. The "slideshow" excuse is old and belongs to ancient times. You should stop believing it.

Culling may have been worse than slideshows, really.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: January 15, 2015, 04:45:26 PM

Besides culling no MMO since shadowbane has gone for the numbers of people in a battle that shadowbane had.  If those graphics are what it takes to put 500 people on screen then i will gladly take them.  Not that there is anything wrong with them anyways.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: January 15, 2015, 05:02:17 PM

Mass PvP like that is just zerg and boring.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: January 15, 2015, 05:06:01 PM

And yet it is still by far the best pvp game i've played, and i play everything.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: January 15, 2015, 05:20:03 PM

That's probably because no PvP MMO in the last decade has had any consequences to losing outside of points (if that).  That lack of weight to your actions makes all games weak.

Anyway mass PvP vs. Small scale PvP is a matter of taste. Both have their moments.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: January 16, 2015, 06:20:12 AM

Now this is hardkore  swamp poop

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #275 on: January 16, 2015, 10:26:47 PM

More sizzle

Pictures of a couple more classes, plus their guild crests (or whatever they are) arranged in a "tree".

At least these guys had some art ready to go before they made their announcement  why so serious?

Their game already looks better than Pantheon.  why so serious?

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #276 on: January 18, 2015, 12:50:14 AM

Now this is hardkore  swamp poop

See, that's actually pretty funny.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: January 20, 2015, 05:37:29 PM

here's some stuff on the skeleton of the fealty system and more character customization - looks shadowbane like, big surprise!

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/907-012015-character-creation-preview-runes-runes-runes/
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: January 20, 2015, 06:32:59 PM

Yeah, all that crowing about Taking Chances was pure edgy sizzle bullshit. This game is going to be SB v2.
Or more precisely, the Pitch For Crowdfunding For SB v2.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: January 20, 2015, 06:34:18 PM

How is trying to make sb2 not taking chances?

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: