Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marco Polo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marco Polo  (Read 4069 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: December 16, 2014, 07:20:32 AM

New series from Netflix. Ten episodes, all available at once. I've watched two episodes and admit I'm hooked. It's definitely going for a romanticized version of the story, but I didn't find it too over the top (despite one naked kung fu fight).
Playing up very heavily on Kublai Kahn's lack of xenophobia - his court is practically a melting pot of cultures. Not sure how historically accurate any of it is (I barely remember any of it from school) but it's entertaining, violent, and adult (lots of boobies). I get a kick out of some of the little details like Kahn groaning and struggling slightly every time he gets out of his chair or off his horse, which I didn't expect after some of the early stylish fight scenes.

The scenery is pretty amazing. Apparently it was filmed in Kazakhstan and Malaysia (with some Venice as well).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:39:08 AM

Watched the first two episodes and it just seems so flat and boring.  It's like they saw game of thrones, took all the violence and sex but left out any humor and charm or characters your might give a damn about.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:31:06 PM

*shrug* I don't know, maybe the visuals and setting just had me.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:24:32 PM

Marco.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:55:11 PM

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:15:24 AM

Not sure how historically accurate any of it is (I barely remember any of it from school) but it's entertaining, violent, and adult (lots of boobies).

Seeing as there are arguments about whether or not Marco Polo ever visited China, the series is probably pretty close to the accuracy of the source material anyway  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:51 AM

Oh come on, Marco Polo goes to China and learns Kung Fu from a blind Master in Kublai Khan's court while wooing the Chinese princess of a lost clan, what could be more historically accurate than that?

That said, I got to episode four last night and I have to say they impressed me in their ability to make me dislike the bad guy of the story.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:12:08 AM

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:45:48 AM

I'm through episode 5. It's kind of dull. Outside of Kublai Khan and maybe Hundred Fist, everyone else is either a cardboard cutout or just bland. But I will say that it really looks great. There are lots and lots of naked women too.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:14:19 AM

I'm sorry.  Someone else would have said it anyway.  You know that's true.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 10:45:05 AM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:46 PM

Just watched the first episode.  I like it as well!  Blind Kung Fu master is a little over the top and kind of racist, but digging the vibe of the show so far.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 09:50:36 AM

Just watched the first episode.  I like it as well!  Blind Kung Fu master is a little over the top and kind of racist, but digging the vibe of the show so far.

It's all a little over the top (watched all 10 episodes in about 4 days or so), but I enjoyed it. It's a B-Grade Spartacus/Game of Thrones type story (blood, violence, lots of boobies - kung fu boobies mind you) but that's not a bad thing. It's just not a completely awesome show. Definitely has it's moments though that elicited more than a couple 'HOLY FUCK THAT WAS COOL' reactions in me.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 12:05:00 PM

I like it. The sets and costumes are very well done.

I don't expect realism from TV. I expect escape. It's not Game of Thrones, but I'm finding it a nice thing to watch while I knit, nevertheless.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 12:07:05 PM

Watched the first two episodes.  Kind of boring.  Not feeling it.  Not sure if I'll continue, kung fu boobies or not.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 09:30:08 PM

I'm okay with everything other then the whole Blue Princess romance plot thing. I don't buy that relationship for a second.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 11:24:01 PM

Season 2 is out now, so I am re-watching season 1 together with the wife (who had not seen it).  I like it a lot.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 12:43:29 AM

The more they focus on the "actual" Mongol stuff the more I like it (as opposed to when it focuses on Marco Polo).

spoiler if you haven't seen s2 yet:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:47:24 AM by satael »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marco Polo  
Jump to: