Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Holiday 2014 - Ho, Ho, Ho, Christmas is cancelled! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Holiday 2014 - Ho, Ho, Ho, Christmas is cancelled!  (Read 99332 times)
Kail
Terracotta Army

on: December 12, 2014, 01:20:25 PM

So, Steam started it's holiday festivities off yesterday.  Gives users the chance to convert all their extra inventory junk in to "gems" and then use those gems to bid on items.  A neat idea for me, since I've got pages of useless backgrounds and emoticons (for all those steam conversations I'm always having).

Anyways, there were exploits, so now it's cancelled.  At least, temporarily.

But when it comes back online, it seems like a neat idea.  Some neat games on the auction block.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:24:23 PM

I cashed in everything I had for a grand sum of 273 gems. And then browse the auction to see I could afford zero of the things.

In hindsight, unsurprised.
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 02:12:15 PM

Was wondering what was going on when I got 20 community market notifications for selling $0.01 items.

Grinding off the unwanted cruft in their market / database will do wonders for the performance of their system (and every user's inventory).  If they can drive margin off the transactions even better for them from a business standpoint (reduce costs, make money).  It'll be back and become a regular thing I suspect. 

I wonder what the nature of the gem dupe was, and wonder if auction was a better route than vending machine (auction gets rid of things faster, but most people lose auctions).
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:24:29 PM

Maybe they could just, you know, stop with all this stupid inventory garbage?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:39:02 PM

Having it so that when you buy a collection duplicate copies vanish into nothingness is certainly a *simple* solution.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:56:05 PM

The costs (in gems) for games is ridiculous. Most a single item I have redeems for is 100 gems; games are in the 10k-30k range. swamp poop

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:32:50 PM

People must have a shitton of items they're getting rid of to be driving the bidding up that high.  I don't know how anybody would even have the patience given how clunky the inventory UI is.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 08:34:55 PM

I assumed they were buying 100g items for $0.01 or something.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:08 PM

I assumed they were buying 100g items for $0.01 or something.

That's the part where I don't understand how anyone has the patience for that.  That's like five thousand clicks to make a bid on some game, and you might not even win the bid.  Just buy the game.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:29 PM

Yea, I agree but I'm neither 13 years old nor poor; I'm assuming the target market for this is the same set of people who make Steam begging threads on 4chan all the time. Whatever game you want will probably be 75% off in ~2 weeks.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 06:17:06 AM

They probably have scripts running, same as they did with the card trading.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 09:44:57 AM

Yea, I agree but I'm neither 13 years old nor poor; I'm assuming the target market for this is the same set of people who make Steam begging threads on 4chan all the time. Whatever game you want will probably be 75% off in ~2 weeks.

A powerful moment in my gaming life was when I realized I was no longer in college, I actually made a good living, and I didn't have to put up with bullshit waiting on games to go down to $5 before I bought them.

That doesn't mean I don't put some games I honestly don't care about in the $5 bin, but if I want something I just buy it now. It's why my steam library moved to over 200 things.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 10:00:58 AM

Funny, when I figured out I was an adult I drove to 7-11 and ate candy til I was fat.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 11:20:04 AM

Funny, when I figured out I was an adult I drove to 7-11 and ate candy til I was fat.

I did the same thing but with cookies.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 11:28:16 AM

For me, it was ice cream for dinner. Because who the fuck doesn't love some ice cream for dinner.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 12:29:04 PM

Oh, and CiCi's pizza.

If I didn't live in Richmond fucking Virginia back then, I would not be fat. What a shitty food city until recently.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 06:56:55 PM

I figured out I was an adult when I was kicked out of my parent's house when I was 18 and had to live in my car in upstate NY in January, you bunch of manbaby pussies.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 07:07:09 PM

I figured out I was an adult when I was kicked out of my parent's house when I was 18 and had to live in my car in upstate NY in January, you bunch of manbaby pussies.

Emancipated at 14, worked a full time plumbing job, while finishing high school, while attending union trade school at night. Did that for 2 and a half years until I graduated high school and then passed my journeyman certification, then I worked 60+ hours a week at 18 for a commission based service plumbing company for 2 more years.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 07:13:20 PM

So when does the real steam sale start?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 08:50:34 PM

When Gabe Newell has all the gemz.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 08:55:39 PM

Emancipated at 14, worked a full time plumbing job, while finishing high school, while attending union trade school at night. Did that for 2 and a half years until I graduated high school and then passed my journeyman certification, then I worked 60+ hours a week at 18 for a commission based service plumbing company for 2 more years.
Should've played in a rock band, it was way better.  why so serious?
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 08:56:05 PM

I've heard the winter sale starts the 18th (next thursday)
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 11:14:40 PM

FWIW, the rate seems to be stabilized around 100 gems for $0.10. Which means that a 70,000 gem game is bid up to about $70.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:21 AM

That makes me laugh all the harder as I scroll through the list of games and their bids.

1 mil - Steam holiday profile.
27.8k -  Spore
70k - Dungeon Defenders II
74.1k - Beyond Earth

And most egregious, 105k for CounterStrike: Global Offensive - the game given free to anyone who traded on the first day.

Great job, Valve, learning how to use the psychology of an intermediate currency to get people to spend far more than they would otherwise. You evil bastards.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 08:33:54 AM

As an accountant, I love this move.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 11:55:54 AM

Hey, it means I've sold a few things that have been on the Community Market for a while. Looking at the gem costs, fuck trying to get gems for games. Pay me for cards I'm not using. Stuff always starts to sell right before and during a sale/event that uses these things.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 07:03:23 PM

I got a good 50 cents selling all the useless wallpapers and emotes sitting in my inventory so that works.  It would have been barely worth 10 cents previous to that, so that's a win.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 10:59:05 PM

Gimmick holiday discount events are shit anyway.
I'll wait for regular Xmas Discount to start.
The cards never really hooked me. I just sold like over 2 dozens and couldn't be arsed to bear with the tedium.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 08:37:12 PM

The cards never really hooked me. I just sold like over 2 dozens and couldn't be arsed to bear with the tedium.

I have like a hundred of the damn things.  I used to sell them, but Steam puts a cap on sales so you can't sell more than 200 items a year without giving them your income tax information, so now I only sell stuff that costs a lot.  So at the very least, I can crunch most of my pile of useless inventory items down to a single useless inventory item.

Though I am kind of baffled as to how Steam decides on what the conversion rate in to gems is.  I don't see any correlation between market price, rarity, or game popularity and gem value.

I do kind of dig the concept behind this idea.  Just the fact that a little text box pops up on screen and says "do you want to convert this in to gems?" is so adorable.  Yes, yes I do, I always want to convert everything in to gems forever.  I want that as an option in real life.  I want to be watching TV and a box comes up that says "turn Harrison Ford in to gems? Yes/No"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:50:00 PM by Kail »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17:56 AM

So, Steam Xmas sale starts today; what are your main objectives? Mine:

- Arma 3 (hopefully at 75%)

- The Wolf Among Us
- This War of Mine
- Stanley Parable

If Arma 3 gets only a 66% I might sacrifice TWOM since it likely won't get a discount higher than 10% (maybe 20%)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:24:47 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 05:57:40 AM

Yep, same. I had been saving them, expecting the packs that give more to pop up more often.  I've gotten all of two packs in the last year, so fuck it.  Thanks obsessive Steam gamers who think your Steam level means shit.  I just made $25 off of you.

So, Steam Xmas sale starts today; what are your main objectives?

Don't have any. Nothing's grabbed my attention enough to bother for a while, or if it did it was enough I bought at release like SOM. Maybe something on my wishlist will drop to the point I snag it, but who has time for more than 2-3 games a year anymore.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:00:48 AM by Merusk »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 05:57:48 AM

My targets:

- This War of Mine
- Sunless Sea
- Life is Feudal
- Darkwood
- Chaos Reborn
- The Old City Leviathan
- Qvadriga
- Cinders
- The Forest
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
- Elegy for a Dead World
... and of course Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD Remastered  awesome, for real

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 07:40:10 AM

My targets:

- This War of Mine
- Sunless Sea
- Life is Feudal
- Darkwood
- Chaos Reborn
- The Old City Leviathan
- Qvadriga
- Cinders
- The Forest
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
- Elegy for a Dead World
... and of course Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD Remastered  awesome, for real

That's a lot of alpha games.

Some look kinda neat though, so thanks for the list.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 07:45:56 AM

You know what's the tragedy? We have gotten to the point where all games you buy are in alpha stage. The only difference is that some openly admit it.

After many disappointments I am trying really hard to stay away from "Early Access" games, but it's hard cause they all are. And the AAA name for "Early Access" is: the game before buying all the DLCs.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 07:56:13 AM

No.

All games YOU buy are in Alpha stage. Some of us can wait for it and avoid most of the heartache you seem to go through, Falc.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Holiday 2014 - Ho, Ho, Ho, Christmas is cancelled!  
Jump to: