Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Community Warfare is LIVE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Community Warfare is LIVE  (Read 21530 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: December 11, 2014, 02:19:44 PM

5 days early.

Official Page.

(Beta) Launch Trailer.

By now you have learned that our "little hotfix" contained the release of the Community Warfare beta. I guess when you have been working until midnight for many nights in a row we saw some irony and humor in the notion that in the end Community Warfare was just a hotfix.

Essentially we have worked very hard this month to get all of the patches out early, the content patches we wanted to get out so that we had the ability to push CW live ASAP. This was mostly done because we have significant staffing resources that are going to be disappearing for well-deserved vacation time over the Christmas break and we wanted as much reaction time as possible to hotfix any game breaking issues that might present themselves.

This phase 2 release of CW is certainly not the absolute end game product that fulfills every desire of the hard core Battletech player, but I don't want to minimize it either, it's truly a game changer. MechWarrior players have never been able to experience anything like this before. That comment is not meant to take away from MPBT: 3025 that product has my full respect but it was around for a very short window and only playable by a small amount of players who were willing to pay by the hour. Within Community Warfare I anticipate we will see hundreds if not thousands of matches played every day within this concept of fighting for the great factions of the inner sphere with planets changing possession and the map reflecting that.
MPBT: 3025 also had many deeper logistical features that many have expressed interest in, with this main aspect of CW now in beta we will be free to consider all aspects of growing the depth of the combat and look forward to hearing your suggestions.

This is an enormous feature release that certainly has a decent sized list of known issues that we will work through as quickly as possible.
Although we had many dedicated players spend significant time testing with us I am sure balance between attackers and defenders is nowhere near perfect. In the end there is only so much you can do with a smaller subset of testers; we need the live populations to show us the untold number of strategies that will present themselves. We will be watching and listening to adjust the levels and game systems within CW to make it as competitive and fun as possible.

Other items like the Loyalty Point reward table will get immediate attention and added in the New Year as soon as possible. Which includes making the titles displayable in game to give them real value, and the entire loyalty point system can continue to grow from there.

It is with pleasure we release Community Warfare Phase two into Open Beta today, I hope you enjoy.

Edit: video.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:36:05 PM by Falconeer »

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 04:34:40 PM

Well motherfucker.  How is it?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

Cool!

Defense is so much easier than attack. Hard stuff.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 06:25:43 PM

Although that round we played against the [Lord] 12 man was terrible. I was getting alpha'd by 2-3 mechs that were camping my dropship's LZ, and I'd die instantly.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 06:35:55 PM

Oh god.  You can spawn camp?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:44:08 PM

Is it  the Eve Nullsec Wars and Politics, or just another arena game?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 12:30:57 AM

Just another arena game. Eventually they will introduce "logistics", but it will never be EVE. EVE is EVE and nothing comes even close to that.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:37:54 AM

Oh god.  You can spawn camp?

Not really, the Dropship shoots back and I've seen it killing more than one person. I am sure there are ways to circumvent this but let's not forget that this just launched yesterday and there will be lot of tweaking.

For example, it's not that 12-person groups are going to obliterate you (cause they will) but that the way the Drop Deck works, a team can begin the game with 12 Direwolves, or 12 Timberwolves, or 12 Firestarters, and really mess you up. Again, Community Warfare is finally here and that's great. Now begins the next 6 months of tweaking and fixing.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 05:55:23 AM

For example, it's not that 12-person groups are going to obliterate you (cause they will) but that the way the Drop Deck works, a team can begin the game with 12 Direwolves, or 12 Timberwolves, or 12 Firestarters, and really mess you up. Again, Community Warfare is finally here and that's great. Now begins the next 6 months of tweaking and fixing.

You mean they never brought in rules to prevent that sort of thing happening!?!??

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:19:23 AM

You mean they never brought in rules to prevent that sort of thing happening!?!??

Err... this was just released YESTERDAY, with a big beta sign. They did not and that's silly, but it's only fair to give them some time to sort out everything. Especially considering there's lots of people saying there's nothing wrong with that.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 06:51:50 AM

There was nothing wrong with the Clans either  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:40:02 AM

As soon as it was announced it was drops with respawns you knew it'd be fucked. I don't remember reading about any mechanic to keep wave 1 from not being a complete "bring all the pain" mess.

Subsequent waves would be assured to happen on a timer, but you aren't going to restrict tonnage there either, right?  What's the best case respawn/ launch mechanic that doesn't encourage, "Always respawn in this order: 100, 60, 30" (or whatever combination allowed under your max weight limit)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 09:51:53 AM

Only thing I can think of is everyone loads one of every class and the initial drop is 3/3/3/3, and a respawner gets a random one of his loaded mechs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:53:44 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 09:52:01 AM

The queue system is fucking awful.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 11:22:18 AM

Finally got into a battle. Defending vs CJF. Must admit it was a lot of fun (defending usually is). Realizing I had an experimental build on my SHD on drop 2, not so fun.
The nice touch was making over 500k creds for the battle.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 12:26:27 PM

I'm liking it more and more as I play, but I'm also not being nearly as offensive as I usually am in normal games now.

Also I'm pretty sure that AMS is huuuuuuuuuuge in this mode, since LRMs are also huge. It's made me change a few builds.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 12:51:28 PM

Just played a game where I died like a millisecond before the next wave of reinforcements... which led to me dropping in my best and last mech, unable to clear the dropship interface from the screen :/
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 02:05:59 PM

Err... this was just released YESTERDAY, with a big beta sign. They did not and that's silly, but it's only fair to give them some time to sort out everything. Especially considering there's lots of people saying there's nothing wrong with that.

Err... I mean did they add in any mechanics to stop everyone just taking 100 ton mech's for every battle, which as I recall was a problem of sorts last time I played.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 02:37:35 PM

There's a tonnage limit to each match. 240, I think... so you couldn't bring 4 assaults for instance. I've currently got an assault, two mediums and a light.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 06:40:06 AM

Concenrs about long CW queues and the solo players, by Russ Bullock.

Okay I have just a few minutes and I wanted to make a quick post about how the match making queues work in community warfare.
First off each planet is its own queue.
The whole concept is that the match maker and CW was definitely built primarily for Units and groups of 12. It still works for small groups and solo players but they can get left behind - we are working on ways to greatly improve the ability of small groups and solo players to find matches more on this at the end.
You can think of it like there is a Pre-queue and the real queue. In the pre-queue the MM is putting together 12 man strike teams on both the attack and defense side. Once it has a 12 man strike team you get passed into the true waiting line queue to enter a match. This is why CW works so well for 12 mans, you are guaranteed a match even if it sometimes will be an autowin situation.

Now full 12 mans and 12 man strike teams that the match maker puts together might have to still wait a little while and this is because the match maker only lets one battle kick off at a time on each planet. So if an example strike team are attackers and there are plenty of 12 man strike teams available on the defending side then yes these matches are going to kick off very quickly after the 60 second countdown so just one minute apart.
If there is not a 12 man strike team on the other side then you have to wait the 5 minutes for the other side to show up before kicking off an auto win situation. In this case matches will be kicking off one at a time with a full 5 minute wait.
So as you can see if you’re the third strike team in the queue you are in line between the first two and this might result in just a 3 minute wait until you are in a match or as much as 15 in situations where there are no teams on the other side.

Again you can see how quickly and efficiently full 12 man groups can get into the queue and find matches since the match maker doesn’t need to try and put them into a 12 man strike team since you are already in one. Therefore you get passed straight into the waiting queue.
Now if you are a solo player or any group size less than 12 you get into this pre-queue state where the match maker is trying to puzzle together a 12 man strike team. The biggest group possible is still likely the best way to go as a 10 man will only need either one group of 2 or two solo players to be in this pre-queue with them before they are placed into a 12 man strike team. The players are placed in a FIFO situation but only if they meet the criteria. So yes someone could be in the queue first but not be the first out of the queue into a match if they don't allow the completion of a 12 man strike team but another group size does. Example: solo player enters queue, 30 seconds later a 2 man group enters, 3 minutes later a 10 man group enters the queue. The 2 man and 10 man form a 12 man strike team and enter the queue while the solo player is left waiting in the prequeue.

This is why it remains important that you try to help the MM as much as possible, odd sized groups like 5 or 7 or 9 can be difficult to complete and its possible you will wait longer. In the case of CW a unit in some cases might better off to separate their groups into nice chunks of 4,8 and 12 rather than more oddly shaped groups.
As to the solo player, it can get really tough as you might sit in this prequeue waiting for an opportunity to finish off a very rare 11 man group, or perhaps if there are 2 solo players in the queue you will get the opportunity to finish off a 10 man group that enters the queue. But there could be far more than 12 in the pre-queue if for some reason they just don’t puzzle together to make a 12 man strike team in the meantime full 12 man groups will continue to pass by you into the queue.
With this information you might be able to use it to improve your play experience.
Now how are we going to improve upon this play experience? I am hoping to add the three following items that I think will help increase the ability for players to interact with their faction and to get into matches without taking away any of the flexibility of the existing system.

- Show the real numbers of players in the pre-queue of each planet.
- Allow players to group with all players of the same faction whether they are in your unit or not.
- Add a global faction chat with easy abilities to friend/group with players.

The global chat still has technical risks and is not confirmed. At this point this is just a plan that once technically reviewed may start development. I think it represents a nice next step that allows us to keep all the current flexibility and freedom players currently have.

Being able to see the pre-queue information will quickly allow you to assess the chances of the match maker being able to put you or your small group into a 12 man strike team and you can decide to stay or leave based on that information. The global chat and being able to group with your faction speak for themselves, I imagine even 12 man units that have 1 player log for the night going to the global chat and saying something like "we need one more who wants a group?"

Sorry for the quick post that may not be perfectly written but I wanted to get this information into your hands for your weekend playing. At some point I will have Karl review the post and correct any errors I may have made regarding the MM and Alex will help me tighten up the language.

Faction chat and actual queue numbers, hell yeah.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 07:16:30 AM

And they still cannot figure out how to make a queue.

Why are they making artificial means of delaying matches?  It should be the exact other way around.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 01:28:21 PM

I kept seing "XXX needs to be defended" and such when I was playing on saturday, but I could not figure out how to get into a match at all

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 02:25:29 PM

This is kinda typical for PGI.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 04:22:55 PM

Honestly, they are amateus and it will always show. But this is so many million times better than what PGI has gotten us used to.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 04:26:11 PM

Honestly, they are amateus and it will always show. But this is so many million times better than what PGI has gotten us used to.

Amateus amateus! A a mateus! Amateus Amateus! A a mateus! Amateus Amateus! You rock me Amateus!

(Sorry, but that was the best typo I have seen in a long long time :) )

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 04:55:53 PM

I will say that if you need quick cash, xp and to pump your KDR the quality of the noobies in the regular matches is rather low right now. It's awesome. :D

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 10:03:19 AM

I must admit I'm enjoying CW. Getting a match in US prime time is fairly easy (jump in a lobby, then go get a snack, 5-10 mins later your in a drop). Have even won a few matches attacking with PUGs. Seen some fun tactics from organized teams on the clan side too (aaaeeeiiiieee the 10 Stormcrow rush!).

What has been really enjoyable is constructing and continually tinkering with my DS deck. I'm using mechs I've barely touched in months and tweaking builds I haven't changed in forever (even contemplated touching the holy Ilya build last night).

There's plenty of room for improvement but, I gotta say this is a solid first step. Supposedly they will have a patch later this week to help with finding matches.

Currently running
FS9-S (max engine, 4 MPL) - Thing never overheats. FS9-A isn't very good anymore with quirk rebalance.
JM6-A (2 UAC5, 2 ERLL) - Wish I'd kept my DD now. This was my dual AC20 build, which was fun for wrecking in PUG matches but not very useful in longer and longer range CW matches.
CTF-Ilya (dual guass) - Old faithful, this has been my go to mech for ages however I run outa ammo and it's not all that good on attack.
TDR-9SE - (3LPL 2ML-Standard 300) - Tinkering with the 4th slot and trying a few things. Make go back to mpl vomit 5SS but seeing if quirks on LPLs make this useful enough.

I may actually have to buy back mechs I sold , like another Jager or Cat. Fun things CW does to you.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 11:05:21 AM

what's the status of the faction wars?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:08 PM

Absolutely no idea.:P  I guess they just published an API? So that users could make their own apps/web pages to show the status of the war.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 01:40:21 AM

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 05:30:19 AM

You know I really don't the invasion mode. Attacking is about how to rush the generators, not actually fight other mechs. Defense is fun, but attacking is just rush die, rush die, rush die. On sulfourous its doable, on boreal its near impossible.

I want CW deathmatch, you know to actually fight the other mechs...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Community Warfare is LIVE  
Jump to: