Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jurassic World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 16239 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 01:50:08 PM

If I were a betting man, I'd lay even odds that the reason they build the hybrid is for "military applications."

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 02:05:49 PM

Come on guys, don't nerd the fuck out of this. Just go with genetic hybrid dinosaurs eat everybody, sit back and enjoy. I don't need plot or realistic science to enjoy people getting devoured by scary, science gone wrong, dinosaurs.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 02:39:02 PM

There is no way that dinosaur could use that boat like a sword.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 02:54:22 PM

The running theme of the movie as told in interviews is that the park has been open for a decade and people are already bored with dinosaurs so making a new breed is there version of "extreme dinos!" to garner public interest.
Considering we've had parks where people pay huge amounts of money to look at sharks and watch killer whales dance around to music for decades with no sign of it becoming unprofitable, I'm not sure I buy that premise.  Especially when they have sky scrapper sized crocodiles jumping up and eating shit.  Hard to imagine them genetically engineering something more fun to watch than that, unless its literally Godzilla.

But that at least is a somewhat believable (if still stupid) explanation for it.  Watching the trailer itself I couldn't think of any idea of why you'd think creating the perfect killing machine would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:06:01 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 03:22:07 PM

I want them to go meta :

"We've created the perfect killing machine to save on special effects for our latest movie, but it's gone NUTS."

That'd be fun.

Or, you know, not.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 10:15:20 AM

There are only 55 effects shots in the original Jurassic Park. Most of the memorable interactions with rex and raptors (as well as things like the frilled dilophosaurus, the brachiosaurus, and the injured triceratops) were practical life-size puppets. Every scene was painstakingly planned in advance because it couldn't be cleaned up or changed in post-production. They really do not make big summer movies like that anymore.

I've got no reason to imagine this is any better than the other crappy sequels.
Point of order: There were 55 CGI shots. Puppets/animatronics is still "effects". Yes, it's pedantic cinema terminology sperging.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 12:10:26 AM

Come on guys, don't nerd the fuck out of this. Just go with genetic hybrid dinosaurs eat everybody, sit back and enjoy. I don't need plot or realistic science to enjoy people getting devoured by scary, science gone wrong, dinosaurs.

Theorycrafting, ah, finds a way.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 02:30:04 PM

Wait, this is Ron Howard's daughter? Wow.

Yes, I bumped a thread because she caught my eye. Also, Ron Fucking Howard's daughter.

Ok, fine. Here's a new clip for you.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 05:50:45 PM

It's so good she didn't get her uncle's portion of the family redhead genes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #44 on: April 20, 2015, 12:49:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJJrkyHas78

Well, no need to see the movie unless I want to see the dinos.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 06:28:22 AM

Oh yay, the velociraptor whisperer  swamp poop
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 07:51:02 AM

Oh yay, the velociraptor whisperer  swamp poop

Or the velociraptor tamer...only he needs a whip and chair and top hat - which may in fact be awesome.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 08:06:48 AM

This film is looking more and more clown-shoes every clip/teaser they put out.

At this point, it's practically mandatory viewing just to see how bad it can possibly be.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 11:07:46 AM

They're using the Velociraptors to hunt the Even Smarter, bigger-than-T-Rex Genetic mutant. (who then, predictably, turn on the people)  Should be fun just for that.

I don't expect a semi-serious film with an underlying moral message like the first. I expect the same action-dramadey of the 3rd film, but hopefully with fewer left-field "uh, how'd that work?" moments like the hand on the button keeping the T-Rex in. (Seriously that wouldn't even work..and if it did, why the fuck would you take it off if someone died to hold the button in.)

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 01:13:24 PM

That was the 2nd movie, not the 3rd.

And I thought the hand was just on it.  The guy picked it up, removed the hand, then pressed the button (as I recall).  Still silly, obviously.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #50 on: April 25, 2015, 02:22:56 PM

They've obviously improved their genetics technology. They managed to make a normally 10-13 meter long dinosaur 250 meters long and not only able to whale-jump out of water that isn't deep enough to cover it completely, it's able to do it without being seen until it leaps up.

Come on JP guys, a Shamu show with Mosasaurs would have been cool enough on it's own. The original didn't take many gross liberties with what we knew about dinosaurs at the time and it was breathtaking in the theaters.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 25, 2015, 05:43:27 PM

I think this needs to be in the movie

http://9gag.com/gag/aGw7QNZ

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 25, 2015, 05:50:19 PM

I would pay triple ticket price to see that.   awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: June 12, 2015, 03:30:21 AM

Short review: predictable but still awesome. Not worth the IMAX money IMO unless you really need to see it on a huge screen.

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 12, 2015, 02:23:35 PM

That was.. laughable. Mediocre all the way to the bank. Meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtofVGtHmWU <-- kinda describes p the ending.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:43:44 PM by Korachia »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 13, 2015, 02:02:22 AM

I kind of wonder who gave the greenlight on the final edit / script setup for this thing.  Some of the scenes just seemed REALLY odd in the editing.  One major one that sticks out is the kids in the hampster ball rolling through the empty field, and the younger one asks "where are they".  And then BOOM, dinosaurs everywhere.  I mean, jesus christ, you are in a fucking clear glass bubble actively looking for dinosaurs, and cant manage to spot dozens of the things on a practically flat plain untill you damn near roll over one?!?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 13, 2015, 02:58:13 AM

MUCH better than 2 and 3, a good sequel to 1. Bit too much product placement of Verizon Wireless sucking.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #57 on: June 13, 2015, 06:02:39 AM

Ok a few days into release, here's a longer summary:

It's fun and I really enjoyed it, but in no way should you expect anything but a 2015 blockbuster. The original had its roots in Crichton's Sci-Fi writing, so it raised larger issues in addition to being filled with the action. This is a sequel purely exploited by Hollywood writers to pluck strings of nostalgia and ressurect a brand. Don't expect more than that and you'll enjoy it.

The 20-somethings and people who don't go to movies looking for deeper plots I saw it with also had a blast. Was it a perfect movie or an intellectually deep film? Hell no. It's about people getting eaten by dinosaurs and spectacle. Nothing else and on that it delivers pretty damn well.

Don't think on ANYTHING too deeply because you'll find yourself WTFing all over the place. I just finally had to accept the world and had fun with it. The spheres make no sense. The river cruise we're given a cameo of made no sense. The aviary makes no real sense in how fragile it was. The island not having a helicopter pilot makes no goddamn sense. The way the big baddie gets out makes no sense. It's not there to, it's there to set things up. Just like the sequel set-up that's practically shouting at you.

The references to the original movie all over the place were pretty blatant, "hey, nostalgia!" trips. However, there's also a pretty cool tribute to the original effects guy that only effects geeks will get. (The name of the restaurant on the resort strip is "Winston's")

Ultimately if you loved the original because you were 5-14 when it came out, you'll have a great time. If you want more than the above, just avoid it and watch it on streaming in a year.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 13, 2015, 11:15:13 AM

Mostly what keeps me from this movie is because Speilberg is a money-grubbing douchebag who actually sucks at what he does (post jurassic park 1).  If there is one person who typifies the reason why Hollywood stinks up the place so badly these days, it's him.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 14, 2015, 04:04:13 PM

Mostly what keeps me from this movie is because Speilberg is a money-grubbing douchebag who actually sucks at what he does (post jurassic park 1).  If there is one person who typifies the reason why Hollywood stinks up the place so badly these days, it's him.

What?  He made some really good films post Jurassic Park.  Schindler's List.  Saving Private Ryan.  Minority Report.  Lincoln.  Not to mention he produced Band of Brothers.  I think people are still pissed about the last Indiana Jones movie with Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf and now overlook the great stuff he's done.  Don't be a bitter nerd.  You can be better than that.  If you don't believe you can, then maybe Shia can help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #60 on: June 14, 2015, 06:04:24 PM

Stupid movie that I still pretty much enjoyed (was 20 minutes too long and some of the plot threads were unnecessary).  Pratt is, of course, the best thing in it although D'onofrio brought in a good bit of his goofy evil charm.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:49:05 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #61 on: June 14, 2015, 07:10:44 PM

Other than the (awful, completely unnecessary, and childhood-buggering) last Indiania Jones movie, I can't think of anything Spielberg has done to piss me off. But I'll probably wait on this one.

-Dave

--Signature Unclear
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 14, 2015, 09:04:00 PM

As nitpicked above I didn't have any issues with

I think comparing it to the first movie is unfair as very little can hold up to that and tonally this was is much more action oriented and less primal fear.  It would have been a great sequel to the original, an Aliens to Jurassic park's Alien, unfortunately it came three movies too late but oh well.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #63 on: June 14, 2015, 09:42:10 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 15, 2015, 11:16:58 AM

I was amused that at least in the movie somebody called them out on their hyperventilating because they made a "monster" all of the dinos at the park are genetic conglomerations and the new dino is no more freakish than any of the others with stuff spliced in.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:23 AM

Also a slight nod to why they have featherless raptors and dino's that have since been proven not to exist.  "Look, people wanted these ones, so we fucking made them"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #66 on: June 16, 2015, 07:48:35 AM

Stupid movie that I still pretty much enjoyed (was 20 minutes too long and some of the plot threads were unnecessary).  Pratt is, of course, the best thing in it although D'onofrio brought in a good bit of his goofy evil charm.

Agree it's dumb and fun. Like a really hot chick you don't enjoy talking to for more than 10 minutes without eye-rolling, but the second the clothes come off it's a thrill ride to the finish.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #67 on: June 21, 2015, 04:35:23 PM

This is exactly what it should be. I saw it in IMAX and it was a great show. Also, I love redhead leading ladies. Still, the story and characters weren't as solid as Jurassic Park.

I have never played WoW.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #68 on: June 25, 2015, 11:22:51 AM

I was just disappointing how god damn boring the genetically modified dinosaur was. Like why didn't the just go absolutely ham? OH SHIT IT'S TEH RAPTOR BLEED. I was expecting more in the lines of say crossing it with human dna, not god damn cuttlefish. Why not cross it with an pterodactyl and give it wings? Or shoot acid like that tiny thing in JP1? Instead they just made it a bigger albino t-rex that seems weaker then the spinosaurus they showed in the third movie that wrecked a t-rex in about .3 seconds. Awesome. You know what would have been better? Half way through the movie it goes into a cocoon. 5 minutes later, Cuttlefish-rex, CUTHULU HEAD, Michal Bay explosion, boom, done, drop the mic.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 25, 2015, 01:59:30 PM

Why not cross it with an pterodactyl and give it wings? Or shoot acid like that tiny thing in JP1?

Because Pacific Rim already did that?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jurassic World  
Jump to: