Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:25:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 235229 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #630 on: June 28, 2016, 05:09:10 PM

Competitive mode is on. Ranked season 1 just got patched in, 980 mb.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: June 28, 2016, 06:27:28 PM

Ugh this game.  I've never gone from having fun to being frustrated so fast.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #632 on: June 28, 2016, 07:03:14 PM

Competitive mode is for Suckers and 20-somethings with gaming sponsors so they can play 16 hours a day. If you're not one of the above then don't fall for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: June 29, 2016, 03:40:22 PM

Everytime I think, hey, maybe I'll just try this out and see if I like this kind of game... maybe *this* time I will... I go to download and they hit me up for $60 (or $40) bucks.  Hmmn.  I'm not that curious.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #634 on: June 29, 2016, 08:27:37 PM

I just tried it out for the first time and, while fun, holy fuck was that overwhelming.  Way too many characters to keep track of without a lot of practice.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #635 on: June 29, 2016, 10:32:32 PM

I got my tryhard on and really super got into competitive placing. I was in the zone.

I won 8 out of 10 of my placement matches and got at least one gold in each one.

I'm rightly fucked now because it put my ranking really high so i'm gonna get smacked down for ages

But at least I'm one thirtyith of the way to a golden weapon, right?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: June 30, 2016, 02:33:22 AM

"Competitive" (Ranked, we used to call it) is not bad at all. Why? Because it gives you a skill score over time which leads to better balanced games than Quick Play. In Quick Play you are matched with other players based on your MMR (MatchMaker Rating), while in Competitive you are matched based on your "skill level" (the value you get after 10 placement matches). The skill value seems to be more accurate than the MMR, and also the matchmaker is more strict when trying to put together a competitive match. As a result, AFTER the nightmarish placement matches, I got much much more balanced games in Competitive than Quick Play. Also, in Competitive teams of randoms are still inevitably slightly more interested in working together and make wise picks than in Quick Play. That isn't always true but it certainly is more true than in Quick Play.

In short, after careful examination (More than 30 Competitive matches) I have to say that there are basically zero reasons to play Quick Play over Competitive. The only difference are:

- You can leave Quick Play whenever you want without having to worry about being a jerk
- You get way less toxic people commenting on your or someone else's skill

But if you like me wouldn't leave a game regardless of the format, and are completely immune to strangers' rants, Competitive provides better games.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:34:59 AM by Falconeer »

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: June 30, 2016, 09:34:43 AM

I've had a similar experience with Rocket League's competitive games. Even though I get frustrated with crappy teammates on Competitive (especially on 2-on-2, getting a crappy teammate is like losing half your team or worse), the overall experience is better. Going back to Quick games is like watching teenagers make out for the first time: no no you are doing it all wrong, here let me show you ..

- Viin
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #638 on: June 30, 2016, 10:24:35 AM

I disbelieve but I might give it a shot then.

After the team of all-Tjorborn on the Industrial City map who refused to hide behind my Rienhard's shield at Point A (seriously, we would have won. It's a winning strat for a broken map at that level.) I can't facepalm much harder.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: June 30, 2016, 11:32:37 AM

If you try, just soldier through the ten placement matches. Those are totally random so they can be all sorts of shitty or awesome. Aftter that, things are, at worst, the same as Quick Play.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: June 30, 2016, 04:17:10 PM

I want as little toxic interaction as possible, so I'll likely stay in Quick Play.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: June 30, 2016, 05:49:05 PM

I want as little toxic interaction as possible, so I'll likely stay in Quick Play.

Ditto.  I see no point to add stress and frustration of pugging it up and letting idiots bring your score down unless you are playing with a group of friends.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: June 30, 2016, 07:26:17 PM

Well if anyone wants to play with someone they internet-know, my Battle.net name is Viin#1561. Competitive or Quick Play works for me.

- Viin
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: July 01, 2016, 02:33:55 AM

This represents me, my playstyle and my success with Overwatch so well.

https://gfycat.com/WatchfulPlushChinesecrocodilelizard

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #644 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:39 AM

Did my 10 last night, Viin got to see what it's like down at my level for the last 2. I think it was physically painful for him.

Rank 39, lowest tier. Wooo sucktitude!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #645 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:16 AM

like watching teenagers make out for the first time: no no you are doing it all wrong, here let me show you ..

the visual

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: July 01, 2016, 12:32:08 PM

Did my 10 last night, Viin got to see what it's like down at my level for the last 2. I think it was physically painful for him.

No worse than most of the Quick Play PUGs I've played. I can count on two hands the number of good matches I've had on Quick Play (where both teams played well).

2 more ranked matches for my ranking - I don't expect much better than you got Merusk!

- Viin
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #647 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:40 PM

Won my first 5, lost the 6th.  They may as well rename competitive play to Soldier 76 play.  Dear fucking god, he is about the only hero I can think of that really needs a nerf.  Either halve his health, halve his accuracy, or halve his damage.  All of them together is rofl.  If our team is losing (usually because we don't have at least 2 Soldier 76's), I just switch to him and rape.  And I honestly never played him more than about 5 minutes before starting competitive play.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: July 01, 2016, 01:33:52 PM

Yesterday I played like shit, went 7-2. Today I was the perfect team player, 3-9. It's all literally a crapshoot at the matchmaking stage (quick play).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #649 on: July 02, 2016, 09:05:51 PM

So yeah, Competetive play is in fact cancer and worse than quick play, as I expected.

QP nobody bitches outside of a few twats. Start losing in ranked? All kinds of bitching about shit. "Stop doing that. OMG what are you thinking. etc."  As i expected. When people have something to lose, they turn into bigger assholes.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: July 03, 2016, 03:30:12 AM

As I advertised. Did I not mention that? But, since we as humans of the grown kind have the ability to not read a chat or not have our feelings hurt by what complete strangers say, what's left are more balanced matches (plus some "competitive points" which one day will lead to rewards).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #651 on: July 03, 2016, 09:56:51 AM

When people have something to lose, they turn into bigger assholes.

See League of Legends Ranked. Though I enjoy the competition, generally speaking competitive games really make me want to cleanse humanity. It's like The Purge if the Purge couldn't physically kill you.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: July 03, 2016, 12:45:07 PM

I saw the math on another forum doing the math that if you assume a 50% win ratio on competitive and 15 minute average per match + waiting time, you'd have to play an hour and a half per day for the whole season to purchase the golden guns.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: July 03, 2016, 01:04:39 PM

Golden guns are shit. I am collecting "competitive points" to buy better reward in future seasons. They will add more weapons and probably skins too. Even if I get to 300, I am NOT gonna buy no goddamn golden gun.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #654 on: July 03, 2016, 02:14:24 PM

eh, maybe if you could give mccree this piece of shit

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #655 on: July 03, 2016, 03:24:32 PM

I saw the math on another forum doing the math that if you assume a 50% win ratio on competitive and 15 minute average per match + waiting time, you'd have to play an hour and a half per day for the whole season to purchase the golden guns.

Those familiar with WoW's PVP won't be surprised by this. The rewards are meant to be very rare and only for those "elite" gamers. Much like the Arena mounts, old high-end PVP titles, and the like. They probably have a target of no more than 10-20% of ranked players getting the guns but won't voice it so people don't quit out.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: July 04, 2016, 12:16:50 AM

It also guarantees that people will stay in the system instead of cashing their reward 'easily' and quit playing Competitive making queues longer. I was wondering how come they didn't put in lower tier rewards, like stuff you can buy for 50, 100, 200 wins instead of 300 as it is now. That's the answer.

Top 500 ranked players at the end of the season, the true elite, will get a unique animated spray. But the 300 win/coins are to prevent emptying the player pool.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:18:54 AM by Falconeer »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #657 on: July 04, 2016, 09:46:13 AM

So the new thing in ranked appears to be just quitting out at the start if you don't think your team is good enough. 5 matches this morning where someone quit before the game started. Didn't get a single game in.

Ranked is proving to be a hell of a bad thing. Especially since the matches are NOT any better than the quick plays i was doing.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: July 04, 2016, 10:16:28 AM

So they literally managed to implement the worst aspects of Starcraft and WoW PvP in Overwatch.

I am amused.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #659 on: July 04, 2016, 07:06:27 PM

I've taken to amusing myself by retorting to players that bitch "This team sucks ass."  That, "We all suck, that's why we're ranked so low."

So far the only retort I've gotten is, "Yeah, speak for yourself." Then sullen silence.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: July 05, 2016, 02:01:30 AM

I've taken to amusing myself by retorting to players that bitch "This team sucks ass."  That, "We all suck, that's why we're ranked so low."

Haha that's exactly what I tell them! "Why do you think the matchmaker put you here with me? Look at our ranks. We are all scrubs."

Fact.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #661 on: July 05, 2016, 09:37:08 AM

That doesn't shut the shitgoblins in LOL, not sure why it would in anything else.  why so serious?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: July 05, 2016, 01:05:21 PM

I just had a look at my stats and I'm really successful with McCree despite being unable to hit anything with him. I'm ok with the stun grenade though, which I feel is a hugely powerful ability.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: July 05, 2016, 10:35:22 PM

Haha that's exactly what I tell them! "Why do you think the matchmaker put you here with me? Look at our ranks. We are all scrubs."

Fact.

In general I see this behaviour in a lot of competitive games. For reference I play at masters / rank 1, and the massive change in player attitude as you progress is very noticeable. The worst players — those permanently stuck in bronze league or rank 40 or whatnot — are the loudest, most obnoxious and most blind players I've had the displeasure of being teamed with. They think they're hot shit, they're never the cause of bad plays and it's always their teammate's fault and only, if only they didn't keep getting matched with other people in bronze league they could finally show how good they really are.

Ignore them, they'll be angry and bitter and in a state of perpetual disappointment until they either learn to 1) have fun, it's a game and/or 2) get better.

Playing at high ranks / leagues in my experience has been a lot more player friendly, with way more tolerance for mistakes ('cause most of us fuck up from time to time) and at least a certain understanding that every game isn't a life-or-death critical battle for rank or placement.

(Side note - I used to rage at people being trash too, years ago, until I learned it did nothing except make everyone feel like shit. Now I just shut-up and do my damn best to make sure the entire team wins, and it's pulled me out of tight spots even in games where we've had a 35%-45% predicted win chance).

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #664 on: July 06, 2016, 07:17:44 AM

Makes sense, people tend to be very self-delusional and not very introspective. On top of that as Westerners we live in a bubble of our own awesome and are all the hero of our own story from birth. Trying to reconcile a lifetime of being told we're #1 and super-awesome with the facts before us is something that takes maturity.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch  
Jump to: