Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:27:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 235274 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #560 on: June 12, 2016, 08:35:26 AM

Uhm, I just checked and looks like Overwatch has exactly that kind of spectator tool already. They are at least one step ahead of us on this.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: June 12, 2016, 03:43:37 PM

Uhm, I just checked and looks like Overwatch has exactly that kind of spectator tool already. They are at least one step ahead of us on this.

They have a freecam, yeah.  The spectator is still on a team, though, so you only get location pips for "your team" and the enemy is invisible.  The tournaments never use it for more than two seconds before going back to player cam so we can stare at some Reinhardt ass, though, I do wish they would get some decent camera operators for this stuff.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: June 12, 2016, 04:18:37 PM

Nope, I am pretty sure you are either wrong, or they patched it. I watched a tournament today and all players were outlined through walls in blue or red.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: June 12, 2016, 04:30:37 PM

Nope, I am pretty sure you are either wrong, or they patched it. I watched a tournament today and all players were outlined through walls in blue or red.

Hmm, weird, unless there was a widowmaker ult going on I've never seen that.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: June 12, 2016, 04:31:32 PM

No, I watched the tournament for two hours :) As I said, outlines in red and blue for the whole two hours. Maybe they patched it in as I said. It makes sense and it shouldn't be too hard to make it, right? Anyway, it's there.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: June 12, 2016, 04:55:18 PM

It's passive in the sense that these are the tools casters use to describe what's happening in the game.  Who really came out ahead in the last fight, who's doing well, who's missing all their shots, that kind of thing.  
Oh right, I missed where you said earlier about this being for casters. That's what makes it easier and more passive for spectators: announcers doing their thing and highlighting to keep the narrative going.

Funny. I wrote that paragraph and it comes off like I'm being sarcastic. But I'm not! smiley

...watching in client is more like going to a sporting event in person... [but] A loooot of people who are watching this stuff are watching from their computer, and it's kind of maddening to see it treated as a kind of junky television when it can do so much more.
That's where my brain is at though. The less interactive, the more passive, the more people who'll give over their eyeballs, the higher the ad values, the higher value the sponsors.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: June 15, 2016, 12:59:13 AM

This apparently hit 10M unique accounts.

Bots?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #567 on: June 15, 2016, 03:25:04 AM

$40 is a lot of money to spend on one bot.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: June 15, 2016, 03:34:39 AM

I am sure those are real numbers and players.

And this is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UU8jqxAiHQ
Overwatch makes a lot of people feel they are suddenly good at FPS. 

ACK!

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: June 15, 2016, 04:23:30 AM

I didn't even realize at first that headshots were a thing in this game. When I did and started aiming t the head, my death matching ability on some of the heroes rose dramatically, heh.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #570 on: June 15, 2016, 05:46:38 AM

The Hanzo hitboxes are hilarious. At least he can't fire insanely fast like Widowmaker.

Widow and McCree got nerfed a bit just yesterday. Both are still really powerful however- McCree just can't effortlessly fan-down tanks now, and super MLG Pro Widow players can't quickscope anymore.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #571 on: June 15, 2016, 07:12:35 AM

ACK!

And we're just fine with that. The same way the Hearthstone players suddenly think they're good at CCG and HOTS good at LOL types. :D

Now if more folks would start using mics down at my shitty level of play I might win a few more attacks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: June 15, 2016, 08:50:05 AM

It is a bit silly but it seems to work in game and is plenty fun as is. I prefer the larger hitboxes over auto aiming and this game runs glass smooth on my old rig which I was pretty worried about. Hell it ran fine even when I was doing some pretty intensive things in the back ground. I will forgive a lot of hitbox oddities as an exchange for playing super well on my system and looking great while doing it.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: June 15, 2016, 09:07:57 AM

The Hanzo hitboxes are hilarious.

This is probably my one gripe right now. Most of the one-shot deaths I get are from Hanzo sniping me from some ridiculous position while he's spamming shots my general direction (granted, not very quickly).

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #574 on: June 15, 2016, 09:14:21 AM

ACK!

Jesus.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #575 on: June 16, 2016, 08:13:43 AM

Apparently this has taken over in Korean PC Cafes as the #1 game. AFAIK this hasn't happened since LoL came to Korea.  Koreans really love Blizzard.

Some are heralding this as the start of LoL's slow decline, more rational people are waiting out the honeymoon phase. Of course, it could be both.

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #576 on: June 17, 2016, 12:00:46 AM

They've been trying to replicate Starcraft's phenomenon for a while now. Not very successfully, but they've been trying.

Yeah, seriously.  I kind of wish they'd back off.  I love Dota as much as anyone, but turning EVERY game in to some competitive e-sport really shits up the community.

I guess at least it makes more sense for their more recent stuff than it did when they thought enough people would care about WoW Arena duels to force all the PvP systems in the game to revolve around them.

You forgot all the PVE systems as well.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: June 19, 2016, 02:22:30 AM

Just downloaded and played tonight. This is the first type of this game I've enjoyed, even with my shitty old rig and terribad graphics capability. Lag was ridiculous for me, but I still had fun. Far as I'm concerned, this game is a win.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: June 19, 2016, 12:09:11 PM

This really is a shooter for the older gentleman, the hitboxes are generous and there are lots of abilities you don't have to aim.

One thing I wish they did was an in-game breakdown of what every ability does. Nobody will figure it out on their own, it's all on the internet.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: June 19, 2016, 12:20:17 PM

This really is a shooter for the older gentleman, the hitboxes are generous and there are lots of abilities you don't have to aim.

One thing I wish they did was an in-game breakdown of what every ability does. Nobody will figure it out on their own, it's all on the internet.

Hit f1

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: June 19, 2016, 01:39:30 PM

I know that. I mean more detailed information than what is given. Sure, I can go to a wiki but come on, why should I need to.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: June 19, 2016, 01:55:56 PM

I know that. I mean more detailed information than what is given. Sure, I can go to a wiki but come on, why should I need to.

You know there's a training room where you can test each heroes' abilities on your own, right? Facepalm
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: June 19, 2016, 02:28:38 PM

Training room is not the same thing as information written down. All I want to do is read.

It's naturally no biggie because there's more wikis you can shake a stick at. But it'd be nice to have some of that information, technical and lore, readable in the game, don't you think?   

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: June 19, 2016, 03:16:09 PM

Training room is not the same thing as information written down. All I want to do is read.

It's naturally no biggie because there's more wikis you can shake a stick at. But it'd be nice to have some of that information, technical and lore, readable in the game, don't you think?   

What is there to read?  You press F1 and it tells you what each skill does.  Better yet, you go into the training room and you can actually test them and see how they work out in game.  I spent a good hour or so in the test range before playing against other people.  What more do you want?  A printed manual?  Blizzard didn't re-invent the wheel here.  It's a FPS with a few abilities thrown in.  Not that hard to figure out.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #584 on: June 19, 2016, 03:47:50 PM

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing.  Are you looking to min/ max dos or know exactly how many head shots widow needs to kill rod of or something?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: June 19, 2016, 03:48:41 PM

What is there to read?  You press F1 and it tells you what each skill does.  Better yet, you go into the training room and you can actually test them and see how they work out in game.  I spent a good hour or so in the test range before playing against other people.  What more do you want?  A printed manual?  Blizzard didn't re-invent the wheel here.  It's a FPS with a few abilities thrown in.  Not that hard to figure out.

It'd be nice to know things like, y'know, actual damage numbers.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: June 19, 2016, 06:59:28 PM

It'd be nice to know things like, y'know, actual damage numbers.

Are there any other FPS that give you that info?  Serious question because I've never seen it.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: June 19, 2016, 08:57:02 PM

What is there to read?  You press F1 and it tells you what each skill does.  Better yet, you go into the training room and you can actually test them and see how they work out in game.  I spent a good hour or so in the test range before playing against other people.  What more do you want?  A printed manual?  Blizzard didn't re-invent the wheel here.  It's a FPS with a few abilities thrown in.  Not that hard to figure out.

There's a lot of stuff not mentioned in the game anywhere that's hard to get from the training range.  What the difference is between a shield and a barrier, what the difference is between health and armor, that kind of thing.  The specific nitpicky details of abilities, like that Symmetra's alt fire goes through barriers and so does Reinhardt's E but his Q will be blocked by an enemy barrier even though the graphic looks like it goes through.  That stuff would be helpful to know without having to find a wiki.

Usually in my experience in other FPS for stuff like weapon damage, they might not put the numbers right in the open, but there tends to be some kind of indication to say if one weapon is more powerful than another.  Maybe they'll have a little bar graph for stats like damage and rate of fire and accuracy and whatever, or they'll rate the gun from 1 to 5 stars in certain categories, but there's something in there to say how good it is, if only so you can see how effective slapping a scope or whatever on it will be.  

Outside of FPS, this information is all pretty commonly available in Dota type games, and it feels weird for them to not be giving it to us here.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:27:03 PM by Kail »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: June 20, 2016, 12:42:07 PM

I'm treating this game more as a MOBA, that is true. The game even has those little ability videos that LoL had when I played it a long time ago (which actually show the Symmetra barrier thing).

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #589 on: June 20, 2016, 02:25:37 PM

I'm treating this game more as a MOBA, that is true. The game even has those little ability videos that LoL had when I played it a long time ago (which actually show the Symmetra barrier thing).

It should be treated as a MOBA in so far as getting ults timed properly will win more than being really good at shooting people in the head.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: June 20, 2016, 03:03:35 PM

I rather like the lack of numbers. Between that and the geriatric-rated hitboxes, this game feels more like well-tuned action shooter than a moba but not so first-person-y that it's inaccessible to normal people.

F1 doesn't tell me shit though. The only way to really learn how to play is trial and error against other people. Which is also like other action shooters. The practice room with the robots is useless, and playing against AI only results in inflating one's own sense of one's skills.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: June 21, 2016, 05:40:02 AM

17 years old South Korean girl plays Zarya so well that two pro players bet their careers that she's cheating (and throw her a death threat too because "of course").

Turns out she's just very, very good, as demonstrated live for more than an hour.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #592 on: June 21, 2016, 07:06:42 PM

One of the world's best Widowmaker players said he was having to wait for 20+ minutes to get a game. As it turns out hundreds and hundreds of players had blocked him to avoid playing with him when Blizzard looked into it. Apparently people have been using the "avoid player" feature to block really insanely skilled players.

Their solution: Remove the feature to avoid players. lmao

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #593 on: June 21, 2016, 07:43:42 PM

To be fair, how'd you fix it though?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: June 22, 2016, 02:52:02 AM

One of the world's best Widowmaker players said he was having to wait for 20+ minutes to get a game. As it turns out hundreds and hundreds of players had blocked him to avoid playing with him when Blizzard looked into it. Apparently people have been using the "avoid player" feature to block really insanely skilled players.

Their solution: Remove the feature to avoid players. lmao
Seems like a typical 'we can't have nice things' to me.  Great for avoiding people that just don't work with the team, things like that, but people abuse it to avoid people they don't want to play against because they're too good.  Not sure how it would be fixed either.  Avoid player only working for your team (as in, the people you avoid don't get put on your side, but them being on the enemy side is still valid) would help, but not sure it wouldn't introduce just some other form of abuse.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch  
Jump to: