Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:23:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 235197 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #245 on: April 18, 2016, 02:33:06 PM

I had a great time with this beta/preview.

I think the timing for this game is just perfect for me.  The gameplay is smooth and the game is polished as hell.  I'll be throwing this into rotation as soon as it's out.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: April 20, 2016, 08:14:18 AM

Yup I was not going to bother buying it till this fall when I got my new computer but the stress test played so well on my aging system and looked pretty and was fun and responsive I did the preorder for it last night. Plus side is I also immediately unlocked the tracer hero for heros of the storm who is hella fun in that game too.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: April 21, 2016, 08:32:19 PM

D.Va and Genji seemed like pretty junky characters, too.  Maybe I just need to get good at them, but both of them seemed pretty behind the curve in terms of "damage they can deal versus how hard it is to kill them".
Genji is actually decent, he just suffers from very extremely shitty design. It was enough to sour me on the game, and unless they fix those kinds of issues I won't be purchasing it. Ah well.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: April 21, 2016, 11:42:47 PM

I like D. Va, she's more of a flanker than a defense person with her huge head-shot area.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: April 22, 2016, 12:07:20 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-HwvYjLLg Kinda an interesting look at Blizzard talking about the failure of Titan and how it led to Overwatch.

patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: April 22, 2016, 07:40:56 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-on-cancelled-titan-mmo-we-failed-horrific/1100-6439068/

"Pressure came from all directions," Kaplan continued. "Not that anybody was outwardly putting pressure on us, but because you're used to doing well and succeeding...having a moment where you didn't do well was almost like an embnarassment. Here you have these great projects like StarCraft, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, and then you're sitting on the smoking pile of a cancelled project.

"Nobody said a word, everyone was super supportive, but I think there was this inward embarrassment of like, 'No, we need to prove we're worthy of being at Blizzard too. We can make something that makes the company proud.' It was a trying period of time and there was a lot of pressure. The team is used to pressure, but never quite at that magnitude, and it helped to forge us in a lot of ways."

Video in the link and more out of context quotes. I do believe Blizzard has lost it's touch in certain ways. For example their writers have tried emulating Hollywood style writing too much. In another way their game designers recycled game content from older better games (I'm not talking about assets [even though that also happened] but actually gameplay sequences). Activision wasn't EA levels bad partnership but they added nothing to make them grow as a company.

All that said I still hold Blizzard and their teams among the highest esteem. They are up there with Nintendo and Valve in putting out content that is higher quality than everyone else by a noticable margin (Diablo 3 launch debacle notwithstanding)

I do hope specifically their MMO team really considers hard about what justifies a subscription fee with modern gamers. It's much harder to convince them but I see fundamental reasons why a sub can still work.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #251 on: April 22, 2016, 08:33:26 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-on-cancelled-titan-mmo-we-failed-horrific/1100-6439068/

"Pressure came from all directions," Kaplan continued. "Not that anybody was outwardly putting pressure on us, but because you're used to doing well and succeeding...having a moment where you didn't do well was almost like an embnarassment. Here you have these great projects like StarCraft, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, and then you're sitting on the smoking pile of a cancelled project.

"Nobody said a word, everyone was super supportive, but I think there was this inward embarrassment of like, 'No, we need to prove we're worthy of being at Blizzard too. We can make something that makes the company proud.' It was a trying period of time and there was a lot of pressure. The team is used to pressure, but never quite at that magnitude, and it helped to forge us in a lot of ways."

Video in the link and more out of context quotes. I do believe Blizzard has lost it's touch in certain ways. For example their writers have tried emulating Hollywood style writing too much. In another way their game designers recycled game content from older better games (I'm not talking about assets [even though that also happened] but actually gameplay sequences). Activision wasn't EA levels bad partnership but they added nothing to make them grow as a company.

All that said I still hold Blizzard and their teams among the highest esteem. They are up there with Nintendo and Valve in putting out content that is higher quality than everyone else by a noticable margin (Diablo 3 launch debacle notwithstanding)

I do hope specifically their MMO team really considers hard about what justifies a subscription fee with modern gamers. It's much harder to convince them but I see fundamental reasons why a sub can still work.

I think the industry is moving away from the word "subscription," to more obscure names like paid DLC and season passes. It's all basically the same - whether you are paying monthly or quarterly or yearly. I think the main shift has been from paying to be able to participate in a game to paying for cosmetic content.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: April 22, 2016, 08:52:43 AM

All they really said was that failing so hard on Titan means Overwatch is going to be super awesome, they don't actually say one single thing about what went wrong with Titan.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #253 on: April 22, 2016, 09:54:38 AM

I only watched Part One so far but I like how they are all patting themselves on the back for turning Titan in the massive long-term success that is Overwatcrh. Oh wait Overwatch hasn't even launched yet.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: April 22, 2016, 12:28:38 PM

Right, it was commercial for Overwatch through and through.  I learned more about Overwatch gameplay watching the video about Titan than I'll ever know about Titan.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: April 22, 2016, 12:44:19 PM

I think the industry is moving away from the word "subscription," to more obscure names like paid DLC and season passes. It's all basically the same - whether you are paying monthly or quarterly or yearly. I think the main shift has been from paying to be able to participate in a game to paying for cosmetic content.

DLC I would argue is the devolution of expansion packs from the 90s. Season passes are an attempt at making a subscription model but considering how short lived they are I see most of them as half assed cash grabs.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: April 22, 2016, 01:50:20 PM

I only watched Part One so far but I like how they are all patting themselves on the back for turning Titan in the massive long-term success that is Overwatcrh. Oh wait Overwatch hasn't even launched yet.

I got the impression that it was more "we've made a game we're proud of" than "BRING BACK THE MONEYHATS BOYZ"

It's always a murky problem asking if a game is profitable or profitable ENOUGH or stuff along those lines.  If they're looking to pay back 10 years of Titan development with this, then I think that seems unlikely, but it's not like we know how much development overlap there is between Titan and Overwatch.  Which is kind of frustrating, at least to me.  It drives me nuts how coy devs always are (or are ordered to be) regarding their work, like Gabe Newell is watching, hunched over a notepad and scribbling furiously muttering "of course, why didn't I think of that" when Metzen says it's about using a gun to shoot things.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #257 on: April 22, 2016, 02:24:59 PM

DLC I would argue is the devolution of expansion packs from the 90s. Season passes are an attempt at making a subscription model but considering how short lived they are I see most of them as half assed cash grabs.

I thought about that, but the way it works now is the DLCs are like mini expansions and expansions are either <magic name> expansion or a sequel to the original game. I really think subs are now season passes just paid up front which seems to let the studio put their eggs in the marketing of the game before release so people back it and then cut parts of it to release as 'free shit' to milk the buy in and have something planned for the season pass but still have the agility to adjust. But still has less motivation than watch sub numbers plummet.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: April 22, 2016, 05:42:48 PM

I don't see it, sub games for the most part simply no longer let you play if you didn't sub.  DLC and Season Pass stuff is extra, your game isn't getting taken away if you don't buy.  There is nothing like subs anymore, DLC are just expansions and season passes are pre orders.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #259 on: April 24, 2016, 02:08:04 PM

I don't see it, sub games for the most part simply no longer let you play if you didn't sub.  DLC and Season Pass stuff is extra, your game isn't getting taken away if you don't buy.  There is nothing like subs anymore, DLC are just expansions and season passes are pre orders.

I prefer the DLC model simply because in a single player game you can ignore it, and in a multiplayer game you can skip it when you take some time off. Taking Hearthstone as a example in the Blizzard area, you don't need to get every set of cards, or every adventure. You can take or leave what you like and spend money on it how you like.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: April 26, 2016, 04:48:46 PM

Just discovered this yesterday.

- Another TF2?  Yay!  I've been hoping for a new class based tactical shooter for years.  I got 5 or 6 great years out of TF2 and never glanced at the endless procession of no scope headshot soldier shooters.

- No stealth class makes me sad, I cannot aim and hate defense/medic classes.  Was this a deliberate design decision?  From reading, Reaper looks spyish- is he my best bet?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #261 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:04 PM

If you are looking to get behind the enemy then Reaper is a good choice. Some of the other high-mobility Heroes like Tracer and Pharah will work as well. D.Va is actually very mobile as well even though she's a Tank class and her mech weapon is painfully inaccurate at range so you have to be up close to hit anything consistently so aiming is not all that important with her.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: April 30, 2016, 03:54:01 PM

Open beta runs May 5 to May 9, but the "open" beta for preorder people starts on the 2nd.  I've got a spare key kicking around if anyone wants two more days of beta.  After the 9th, I guess they shut it down again for the ACTUAL release on May 24.  
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:36:27 AM by Kail »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #263 on: May 06, 2016, 05:54:51 AM

Finally tried it. Not sure if I like it more than Paladins, production value aside. But what I noticed, is that I like it less than Team Fortress 2 so far.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: May 06, 2016, 06:02:23 AM

I find it a LOT better than Paladins with regard to pacing and the feel of the shooter mechanics. On the other hand, it definitely is worse than TF2, at least TF2 with the basic classes and maybe unlocks on the good maps. TF2 has turned into mostly a game of shenanigans with all the unlocks and goofy stuff going on now and is a worse game for it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #265 on: May 06, 2016, 07:51:17 AM

I played two games last night and the playerbase I got stuck with was terrible. Had no idea how to work as a group and, as usual, nobody was willing to pick-up a support class so I did it. (Why is it always my team that's unbalanced? I have shit luck. They had 2 support and one of each class, all I had were the cowboy and sniper clasess)

Surprisingly, despite my hate at the last preview and the shitty team I enjoyed the gameplay a bit more this time around. Maybe all the serious shooter types are off in Paladins and Battleborn. Maybe the game's been tweaked. Maybe I was just meant to play support. Either way Mercy was fun and despite losing I found I enjoyed myself. Surprise.

I'll pound through a more games tonight after Cap. and tomorrow evening and see if I'm still entertained.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: May 06, 2016, 02:29:05 PM

Love me some Bastion.  Not sure if it grabs me enough to buy it, but the whole thing ran smooth and fun for me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:58 PM

After trying them back to back, I like Overwatch more than Paladins so far. I also love Mei, who is clearly a clone of Smite's Ymir. Shamelessly so.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: May 06, 2016, 04:07:21 PM

Movement speed is so slow.

Also, this game makes me really miss the simplicity of TF2. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: May 07, 2016, 03:19:21 AM

OMG nerf Bastion now!

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: May 07, 2016, 05:03:50 AM

Good Bastion players are a pain to deal with. However, a lot of people see the good bastion players, don't really understand how to play him well, and then just set themselves up as sitting ducks for anyone that knows the maps well.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: May 07, 2016, 06:20:48 AM

Someone said Genji is a hard counter to Bastion.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: May 07, 2016, 06:37:14 AM

Genji, Tracer and Reaper and generally anyone who can find a way to flank him kills him quick. While he is deployed as a turret his entire back is like getting headshots (crits).
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: May 07, 2016, 06:39:25 AM

Someone said Genji is a hard counter to Bastion.

Everything I've read says that Bastion is one of the two or three worst heroes in the game when people even slightly have their shit together.  But in these early days when your teammates are 3 widowmakers, 1 hanzo and mccree, very tough.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: May 07, 2016, 07:36:52 AM

I should have clarified:  Genji's deflect ability apparently will instantly kill Bastion.  According to someone I was talking to about Overwatch, I haven't tried that myself.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #275 on: May 07, 2016, 08:55:29 AM

Kinda meh in this. Feels like a more colorful TF2.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: May 07, 2016, 10:19:21 AM

Kinda meh in this. Feels like a more colorful TF2.

Totally and shamelessly. Or you could call it TF2 with more classes.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #277 on: May 07, 2016, 11:47:02 AM

Bastion has a really low skill ceiling and gets positively wrecked by Tracer, Genji, and a few other heroes. He's not bad but there's way, way stronger heroes.

It seems to be intentionally designed that way- there's heroes that are exceedingly simple to use and straight forward (bastion, mercy, Reinhardt), then there's ones that require you to really pay attention to how to use all their abilities (Zarya, D'va, Lucio) to use them efficiently.

Like I'm not good with Zarya but when someone who can play her well works with a team that works WITH her she's insanely fucking powerful. I'm barely mediocre with Lucio and I can quite simply run circles around pubbies with him because of his wall-running, speed boost, and shockingly decent main weapon (the knockback is obscenely good for blasting people off ledges).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #278 on: May 07, 2016, 12:47:37 PM

Without having looked at any of the background at all.... have they talked at all about WTF Titan was suppose to actually be?

How do you 'salvage' Blizzards next most amazing epic game thing into a TF2 clone?  Considering everybody assumed it was some new big MMO WoW replacement, that's a pretty big damn shift in game play......

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: May 07, 2016, 12:51:47 PM

Well, it was supposed to be an MMOFPS of some sort. I get the impression Overwatch kept the "setting" and probably some of the assets, but not much else. There is also some rumor going around that Tracer, or some equivalent, was going to be the main poster-character (which she still is).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch  
Jump to: