Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 235190 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: November 06, 2015, 06:38:33 PM

It's up for pre-sale on battle.net right now.

Cheapest edition is $40.  More expensive ones for skins and... stuff?  I dunno, I didn't look that closely.

PS4 pricing link.

PASS.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: November 06, 2015, 07:09:56 PM

A normal box price.  I'm officially surprised and pleased.  There is a pretty good chance I will actually play this now.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:45 PM

I don't understand how any of you are functioning adults. Oh no a 40$ game that might be fun. Pass on that price tag!
schild
Administrator

Reply #178 on: November 07, 2015, 06:09:28 PM

Draegan, do you just like, come to f13 when you have some unfunny fat aggression to throw at people? Like, you downed an entire Hot N Ready by yourself, feel gross and need to take a dump on someone?

Stop being a tool.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 08, 2015, 04:54:17 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:44:54 AM by Draegan »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 08, 2015, 09:45:40 AM

Pre-purchasing does not come with beta access right now, correct? 
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #181 on: November 08, 2015, 04:03:50 PM

Pre-purchasing does not come with beta access right now, correct? 

As far as I can tell, no it doesn't.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #182 on: November 08, 2015, 05:06:51 PM

I don't understand how any of you are functioning adults. Oh no a 40$ game that might be fun. Pass on that price tag!

who here was saying this
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #183 on: November 09, 2015, 07:42:09 AM

Ya, I don't care about $40 if its fun and I play it for more than a few hours.

What I care about is yet again Activision trying to find new and exciting ways to monetize after the box sale, while still including the box sale.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: November 09, 2015, 07:44:26 AM

What I care about is yet again Activision trying to find new and exciting ways to monetize after the box sale, while still including the box sale.

Pretty much everyone is doing this now.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: November 09, 2015, 07:51:38 AM

I'm fine with a box cost.  It's a far better option than having to grind all of the heroes.

I don't know why I'm buying this.  My FPS skills are complete garbage.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: November 09, 2015, 07:53:21 AM

Can I still be upset?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: November 09, 2015, 07:55:51 AM

Can I still be upset?

You may, yes.

Seriously though, as someone who feels no particular compulsion to buy cosmetic items, a box price is a welcome choice.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: November 10, 2015, 06:59:07 AM

I'm fine with a box cost.  It's a far better option than having to grind all of the heroes.

I don't know why I'm buying this.  My FPS skills are complete garbage.   

There seem to be some classes that don't require you to be a Railgun god. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #189 on: November 10, 2015, 02:27:43 PM

Yeah, there is some options that let you be totally awesome without needing to be able to have those twitch hitscan reflexes. Symmetra, bastion, rein, mercy, to a lesser extent junkrat and pharah can be played with zoning aoe.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #190 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:53 AM

Seriously though, as someone who feels no particular compulsion to buy cosmetic items, a box price is a welcome choice.

I love this model. Let the suckers who care about looking like a slut fund my cost. IDC.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #191 on: November 16, 2015, 10:26:53 AM

Anyone diddled around with this at all?

Wife got in the beta which means my 12 year old's been playing. He's having a blast but sucks worse than I do at FPS. He still managed to get "kill of the game" which he proudly told me after work on Friday.  awesome, for real  Apparently it does replays at the ends of matches or somesuch. He didn't want to try any more and show me all weekend, having gone back to playing Minecraft with his cousin instead.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: November 16, 2015, 11:54:12 AM

Wife got in the beta ...

It appears that you have to be a streamer or female to get into the beta now.  why so serious?

I have been watching a few streamers play this and it looks like a great distraction.  If you're on Twitch, give it a watch.  Seems to be pretty team-oriented without relying so much on pure twitch. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 19, 2015, 03:37:08 PM

Check your Bnet account or application. A lot of people got approved to play in this weekend's beta test.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: November 19, 2015, 04:00:33 PM

Woo! Installing now!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #195 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:36 PM

Time to see if I suck as badly as I expect I will.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #196 on: November 19, 2015, 07:08:49 PM

Check your Bnet account or application. A lot of people got approved to play in this weekend's beta test.

I got a rock.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #197 on: November 19, 2015, 08:10:07 PM

Client installed for the weekend beta thing.  I'll probably be able to tear myself away from Fallout 4 to check this out for a bit...
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: November 20, 2015, 03:00:37 PM

I'm playing this today, and yeah I'm standing by my earlier comment that this is much less like TF2 than some may think. Between smaller teams, very few class similarities (there are only two out of twenty-one classes very close to TF2's), and faster gameplay on smaller maps it's just not like TF2

That said, it can be fun, but I don't see anything that is going to make me want to buy this or play it long term as someone not on a competitive team.

If I had to change one thing about OW then I'd add game-rounds instead of this one and done game style. Currently, you play one match then it's basically just tossing you back in a match maker by scrambling the teams (if people even stay). If they setup an option for a best of 5 series with less downtime between matches that would get me to want to play more than 10mins at a time. Even a capture the flag or an arena would be welcome. Oh, and the option to pick which game type you want to play....that would go a long ways
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:33:42 PM by Segoris »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #199 on: November 20, 2015, 05:32:10 PM

I'm glad this had a beta. I suck even worse than I thought I would and now I'm not even a bit tempted.

Seriously only 3 kills my first match and like 12 deaths. Goddamn I'm terrible.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: November 21, 2015, 05:59:07 AM

I think paladins is a better game.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: November 21, 2015, 06:45:55 AM

Yes. I agree.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: November 21, 2015, 12:37:42 PM

Can anyone elaborate on this?  Or is Paladins under NDA?  I'm thinking of grabbing Overwatch, but the fact that preorders don't get beta access has me hesitating, so any excuse to jump to a competitor would be helpful.

Beause so far I'm really loving this.  The characters are all really unique and mechanically interesting, the graphics are pretty, the maps are interesting (though I hope they add some more objective types).  The game is a lot less stressful than HotS / Dota / LoL and I'm having a lot of fun.  I'm probably wrong about this, but it feels like there hasn't been much movement in the FPS genre lately outside of the obligatory "realistic" CoD and Battlefield games and this game definitely scratches that itch for me.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: November 21, 2015, 01:08:43 PM

So, I think I like it.  The most important thing is that movement and shooting mechanics feel basically good.  Not QUITE TF2 levels, but close enough.

They could use bigger maps with more variety.  Their layout isn't bad, the level design is fine, but they do get samey very quickly.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: November 21, 2015, 02:27:08 PM

Maps are more open in paladins and the card system is kind of fun. It makes each game different.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #205 on: November 21, 2015, 05:37:37 PM

Overwatch is absolutely like a boiled-down TF2. smaller teams, smaller maps, and skills/weapons are designed for each class to pidgeonhole you into a role so you don't get retards trying to do frontline combat as medics. You do what your hero is designed for or you fail, miserably.

Very slick interface, presentation as blizzard standards.

Feels really casual-ish though so far; I can't imagine them managing to turn this into an e-sport but who knows.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: November 21, 2015, 06:36:04 PM

The game feels and looks amazing.

Matchmaking is going to kill it though.

Also, I had a dude on my team screaming the whole game, I could mute other players but not him.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: November 21, 2015, 06:37:40 PM

Overwatch is absolutely like a boiled-down TF2. smaller teams, smaller maps, and skills/weapons are designed for each class to pidgeonhole you into a role so you don't get retards trying to do frontline combat as medics. You do what your hero is designed for or you fail, miserably.

Very slick interface, presentation as blizzard standards.

Feels really casual-ish though so far; I can't imagine them managing to turn this into an e-sport but who knows.

I don't know about "boiled down," personally.  It seems like each character has at least as much depth as a character in TF2, except instead of having two or three weapons they have one weapon and two or three skills.  And Overwatch has more than 20 characters to TF2s 9.  And as for combat medics, it feels like all the support classes (except Mercy, probably) are better hybrids than the TF2 medic.

Not crazy about the "ultimates" personally, a lot of them just feel like "fuck you" buttons.  Junkrat's fucking tire thing, for example.  It feels like they're in there to give players who are getting the shit kicked out of them a chance to feel badass for a second, but it really fucks with the flow of the game for a lot of characters.  Waiting around for an ult to charge is really tiresome, and getting killed by an enemy ult always feels super cheap.

Kind of unsure what the point of the post game voting screen is.  You give players kudos (I think?) and... that's it?  Does it track them somewhere or is there some reason to care about them?  It seems to me that supports and tanks hardly ever get thumbs up, while a mediocre offense player will often get five or six because the featured play which you get shown right before that is always a multikill and it's usually offense players who get those.  Had one run as Lucio where I healed 50% of the total damage of the ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM while going something like 7-1 and got nothing.  

The team balance thing is nice, but I wonder what the deal is with "needs more builders" because AFAIK there is only one builder, Tor, and he's inconsistent as hell.  You either get your turret up to max and wreck everything, or you don't and spend the entire match in zero scrap hell trying to score kills with his dippy pea shooter.  And he's the only one who can fill that role, unless the game counts Symmetra as a builder, and it shouldn't, because her turrets seem super weak and her teleporter is not defensively useful a lot of the time.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:39 AM

Not crazy about the "ultimates" personally, a lot of them just feel like "fuck you" buttons.  Junkrat's fucking tire thing, for example.  It feels like they're in there to give players who are getting the shit kicked out of them a chance to feel badass for a second, but it really fucks with the flow of the game for a lot of characters.  Waiting around for an ult to charge is really tiresome, and getting killed by an enemy ult always feels super cheap.

Yeah, the "play of the match" is almost always someone hitting Q and 3 people dying. Woo, the plays, the plays.

I've taken to playing Junkrat almost non-stop now.  I played a lot of demoman in league play in TF2 and junkrat is basically a straight rip off of demo, great mobility included.  The fact that he gets a trap to mitigate his one weakness (quick heroes up close) is just gravy.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #209 on: November 22, 2015, 12:38:53 PM

This game is pretty fun. Don't know if I'll buy it because I get this feeling that its design exacerbates the problems of pubbie queues vs organized groups. One if frustrating because everyone is retarded, the other requires an insanely high level of play to be competitive.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch  
Jump to: