Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 235180 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #875 on: June 02, 2017, 11:40:33 AM

lol, the "rate this match" feature provided Blizzard with this valuable data:

We had high hopes for this feature but after a year of the game being live and an extended period in beta, all we learned from the feature was:

-New players used the Rate This Match feature more than existing players

-Players enjoy winning

-Players do not enjoy losing

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #876 on: June 02, 2017, 12:19:07 PM

It was the most worthless feature ever. No feedback outside of 1, 2, 3 score.

I rated several wins as 1 because the other team lost players or we simply steamrolled and that wasn't fun.  I rated losses 3 when it was a close competition and matchmaking seemed to have hit this glorious sweet spot where everyone was the same skill level. However, there was ZERO method for telling why I scored a match the way I did.

A shitty loss where my team swaps out 3 times in the first 30 seconds? A 1.  A great win where it's been a hard fight? A 3.  No relationship beyond that 1 or 3, though, so it's easy to say the majority were indeed not-rated to anything but a loss to a 1 and a win to a 3.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: June 03, 2017, 09:48:36 AM

It was the most worthless feature ever. No feedback outside of 1, 2, 3 score.

Yep.  Not really clear on what the rating was supposed to be, was it about the quality of the matchmaker, the attitude of your teammates, the balance of the characters, how much you like that specific map, how much you like Overwatch as a whole, how are we supposed to be rating this?  Seemed more like a pointless data point for the suits to me  "See, we made this change and 'fun' increased by 6.3%!"

The fact that new players used the system a lot and old players didn't, by itself, should have suggested that there were some issues with it.  That's a pattern that happens a lot when people want to give feedback but don't get any feedback themselves from doing so: it starts to feel like shouting at clouds.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: July 03, 2017, 07:59:42 AM

I've gotten back into this over the last week.   Really loving Orisa, she might be one of my favorite picks now.  Her alt fire is a thing of greatness.

I think one nice surprise is that 1v1 mode is actually kinda fun, I was expecting to hate it.  It actually helped me figure out what characters that I'm actually better at and which ones I need to work on.  It also let me practice on some characters I don't pick too often and to learn a few counter picks.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #879 on: October 11, 2017, 10:53:38 AM

Damn you, halloween skins
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #880 on: October 11, 2017, 03:22:20 PM

I saved up my coins so I could buy the Mercy skin once it became available again.   this guy looks legit

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: October 15, 2017, 05:18:44 PM

Came back for the Halloween event, but I really don't like the limited classes thing they do with these. swamp poop Mei doesn't have a good skin either, so I'm not sure I'm going to play it any more than the 3 games I did tonight.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #882 on: October 15, 2017, 06:10:33 PM

Oh man, that new Zenyatta skin.  Need.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: October 15, 2017, 06:14:04 PM

I wouldn't mind playing this again, but the fucking battlenet app will not install on my laptop.

It's absolutely infuriating.  It appears the only way to install the damn thing is to use their bootstrapper, but if the bootstrapper fails, then you're shit out of luck.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #884 on: October 15, 2017, 06:38:21 PM

Check if you have a firewall blocking access. Also for some inexplicible reason any time a game patches you have to reauthorize things.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #885 on: October 16, 2017, 09:44:46 AM

hey have you watched that infamous internet video '3 greys 1 blue"

cause that's all of halloween so far
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #886 on: October 16, 2017, 11:39:03 AM

Buy your greys and whites out with coins. So many people still buying the legendaries and epics instead.  With the loot box system having changed to "don't drop duplicate items" you're going to get a shit ton of greys out of loot boxes.

Unintended consequences of the change to that system.  If you've bought all but 3 legendary skins but still have 400 grey/ common items, guess what you're getting.

ed: Wait; is this the 3 grey 1 rare video? Because he got that combo on the 3rd box doing exactly the above. Hah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWUW4rqaU8

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:42:42 AM by Merusk »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #887 on: October 16, 2017, 02:54:23 PM

Buy your greys and whites out with coins. So many people still buying the legendaries and epics instead.  With the loot box system having changed to "don't drop duplicate items" you're going to get a shit ton of greys out of loot boxes.

Ooooooooooo is that why I'm not getting duplicate items for cash now?   Good tip, thanks.  And yeah, kinda dumb system for that reason -- they should be maintaining the proportion of drop rarity but it sounds like they're not.  Derp.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #888 on: October 16, 2017, 04:59:33 PM

Unintended consequences of the change to that system.  If you've bought all but 3 legendary skins but still have 400 grey/ common items, guess what you're getting.

ed: Wait; is this the 3 grey 1 rare video? Because he got that combo on the 3rd box doing exactly the above. Hah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWUW4rqaU8

I'm .. about to do this. this better be a good idea.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #889 on: October 17, 2017, 07:39:07 AM

I guess that doesn't work. Rarities are determined independent of existing stock in your inventory; remaining selections within that range of rarities you got dropped are THEN weighted in favor of non-duplicates.

So as long as I'm not getting legendaries in the first place, nothing matters ;_;
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #890 on: October 17, 2017, 07:48:15 AM

Ahh, well then that makes more sense over-all but blows at the same time.  At least then very rare time you get a Leg/ Epic you'll know it's not a dupe.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #891 on: October 17, 2017, 09:23:11 AM

On the plus side, I have 5 or 6 arcade boxes waiting for me with the week rolling over.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: October 17, 2017, 09:52:29 AM

Bought a fuckton of voice lines, immediately picked up reaper skin. YMMV

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #893 on: October 17, 2017, 12:46:14 PM

The UI is not at all friendly to buying shittons of greys.  Glad to hear it might not actually work, because I ran out of patience and stopped doing it.   swamp poop

Got the Zarya 80s skin last night and I am very pleased about that.  Still planning to buy the Mercy witch skin if it doesn't drop for me before Halloween.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #894 on: October 20, 2017, 12:15:31 PM

I guess that doesn't work. Rarities are determined independent of existing stock in your inventory; remaining selections within that range of rarities you got dropped are THEN weighted in favor of non-duplicates.

Realized the other day that if this theory is true AND it's broken out by rarity rather than value, buying golds that cost 1000 is a good investment since it makes you more likely to receive golds that cost 3000.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 3K golds are actually a different tier, but I went ahead and bought that 1K Mercy witch skin anyway.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Cmon Cthulhu-Zen and Viking-Torb!

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #895 on: October 20, 2017, 12:27:29 PM

Realized the other day that if this theory is true AND it's broken out by rarity rather than value, buying golds that cost 1000 is a good investment since it makes you more likely to receive golds that cost 3000.

This one's true as of that last lootbox mechanic change.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #896 on: December 12, 2017, 09:32:33 PM

Okay, I don't hate this yeti hunter mode.  It doesn't drag on nearly as long as most of the event modes do.

Also apparently nobody wants to play the yeti, so I've just had three games straight as yeti, and won every one.  Smacking Meis all over the map is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious?

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: December 13, 2017, 02:32:09 PM

The new Roadhog skin is fucking awesome. My only bitch is that he still holds dynamite in his victory pose. Should be fish.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #898 on: December 13, 2017, 05:47:43 PM

Had just enough gold to buy the last couple of legendary skins from last year, so the boxes have no excuse not to give me the shiny new ones now.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: December 21, 2017, 04:16:17 PM

Okay, I don't hate this yeti hunter mode.  It doesn't drag on nearly as long as most of the event modes do.

Also apparently nobody wants to play the yeti, so I've just had three games straight as yeti, and won every one.  Smacking Meis all over the map is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious?
It's pretty fun but the XP is terrible. The first 9 wins for 3 loot boxes are worth it but after that the progression seems nonexistent.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: January 27, 2018, 12:49:09 PM

New skins are pretty great, and I'm likin Blizzard World even tho it seems like a defense heavy map.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #901 on: April 03, 2018, 10:28:32 AM

Brigitte is really fun and probably needs a nerf.

That is all.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: April 10, 2018, 04:22:57 PM

^

Hope they come out with a Starcraft Medic skin for her. She'd be perfect for it.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: April 11, 2018, 10:21:48 AM

Blizzard World has a ton of holes in it where you can get around or even behind what look like chokepoints.  It's not quite as bad as Dorado in that sense, but once teams figure out the non-obvious routes to push, it's pretty trivial to get the first point inside of a couple of minutes.  There's just too much area to cover for defense, until the payload delivery point.  Even that has multiple angles of attack.

Brigitte is definitely in for a nerf.  Her healing is too strong.  Her damage is perhaps a touch too high.  Which is unfortunate.  I enjoy playing a melee healer quite a bit.  Ah well, I'll still have Moira.

She can stand toe to toe with far too many characters, and just win, with no chance of the other character doing more than annoying her.  Up to and including multiple of the tank characters.  That goes for Moira and Brigitte.

Her one weakness is dealing with decent Pharahs.  I'm sure a good Pharmercy would eat her lunch all day long.

I really want the Reaper skin, that looks very nice.  I'll have to take a look at the others.

The Retaliation event seems okay, but man, Moira as the only healer in that mix is a bit tough.

A Brigitte trivializes it though.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:25:45 AM by Soulflame »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #904 on: April 11, 2018, 05:57:14 PM

Brigitte is above average but I think less overall effective than Moira who has the ability to shit out a huge amount of group healing when needed and a ridiculously powerful escape. Brigitte is going to be weird at high levels of play I think because of her stun- which is insanely fucking good. She can basically just walk up to a shielding Reinhardt and stun him right out of it, and her stun is on a short CD which lets her always be ready to bonk characters out of their ults or preventing them from swooping in/out.

Brigitte has to be ENGAGED with the enemy to work though. She's not good for much outside of armoring up people trying to peek around corners for potshots outside of a big clusterfuck of a teamfight.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #905 on: April 13, 2018, 01:24:07 PM

The fact that Brigitte is at her most effective in a clusterfuck is what makes her so fun.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: April 14, 2018, 02:14:12 AM

Cannot finish the Retribution event on expert because PUGs absolutely must charge in to every clusterfuck and die. There's no caution, no intelligence, just a bunch of fucking Leroy's with no goddamn sense. Stupid motherfuckers, man.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: April 14, 2018, 08:31:54 AM

I'm not sure I'd want to try Retribution on Hard with a PUG.  There are at least 3 points in the whole thing where I could see a PUG wiping easily.

One of those points being "the entire last 3-4 minutes of the scenario".  Not to mention the ever-present possibility of someone simply not getting on the dropship.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: April 14, 2018, 10:15:13 AM

Haven't made it that far. Haven't been past the heavy. At least one dude who has played Call of Duty his whole life has to charge in solo and get gunned down right away.  Now he's cut off and covered by enforcers. The rest of us can't do enough damage to down him and eventually fall to the support troops. This is every time without fail, unless it's more than one idiot charging in. My favorite wipe was the guys that jus ran forward, so we had multiple snipers and an assassin by the time we got to heavy.   swamp poop

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #909 on: April 16, 2018, 12:48:34 PM

I managed to make it to the very end on expert with a PUG, and a heavy whacked me off the roof right as I was running for the dropship and it was game over (I was McCree, so no ability that'd help me get back up there -- I was downed by gunfire before I even made the stairs).

Almost every other attempt I've made on expert, some jackass insists on charging into the very first heavy and dying surrounded by enforcers so nobody can revive him.

0.0 DPS

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch  
Jump to: