Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: CK2: The Umayyad Strikes Back 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CK2: The Umayyad Strikes Back  (Read 32456 times)
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:38 PM

So wanted to play through a Hard mode Ironman game from start to finish with the new Charlemagne patch, may as well make a radicalthon out of it! I tend to like choosing interesting dynasties and see if I can do things differently or bring them back to their former glory, and one I've always found interesting is the Islamic dynasty Umayyad, and since I can't help myself, a little history lesson!

The Umayyads were a largely merchant family from Syria, and with their large base of wealth Muhammad used them as administrators and a bank to fund his families conquests of the Arabian peninsula. When the last of Muhammads companions died by assassination (his son-in-law and cousin in this case) there was no-one to take the caliph title, and after a civil war the duke of Damascus Muawiyah I of the Umayyad took the throne in 661.

Under the Umayyads a lot of political reforms took place to make the Arabian Empire more like a Kingdom then a religious institution, most prominently was the idea of hereditary succession, since the title of caliph had since then been elective. With the rapid spread of Islam and with the most sophisticated and disciplined army of the era they conquered 15 million square kilometers to become the largest empire the world had yet seen (even now they're still 5th). Their rapid expansion was halted however by simultaneous wars on both fronts, from the Frank Charles Martel (Charlemagne's grandfather) in the west and the Tang Dynasty Chinese in the east. With this pause the Umayyads took to building some of the most iconic of Islamic buildings to this day, including The Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, and developing and consolidating Islamic culture and art with influences from India to France.

However running a religious organization like a business is going to ruffle a couple of feathers. The new pagan converts from Persia were a lot more zealous then their Arab counterparts, and seeing their decadent Umayyad rulers in their soft palaces was something they could no longer tolerate. Joining a dissident family called the Abbasids, they decided new leadership should be given to a descendent of one of Muhammads uncles, and with a huge army they sacked Iraq in open defiance. The Umayyads rallied their armies and met the Abbasids in open battle, but their arrogance lead to them charging their cavalry into a spear wall and was decisively crushed there and then. With no army and no support, The Abbasids easily swept power away from the Umayyads in 750 and took it upon themselves to assassinate every member of that dynasty. Only one survived.

With the Abbasids settling into their new role as Caliph, the grandson of the last Umayyad Calpih and sole survivor of the Umayyad dynasty Abd-al-Rahmen fled to the furthest ends of the former empire in the west. With the last of the money his family owned he raised a mercenary army and overthrew the then independent Islamic rulers of the area. He then consolidated and grew his sultanate centered in what is now southern Spain until it grew to almost all of Iberia. It's here that he had eight sons, and with dreams of restoring his dynasty to it's former glory, this is the story of his eldest...

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:39:50 AM

Looking forward to this, keep up the good work!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:58:12 AM

Yes, I like the idea of a holy war across Spain and beyond.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:30:17 PM

I had a similar problem with holy wars when I made a game based upon starting as the Duke of Barcelona.

I was doing well until I got war-dec'd by the Empire-level Muslim ruler to the south, and became inundated with ridiculous stacks of Muslim hordes. I also apparently fail at securing foreign allies to call upon in times of war.

Also, the rest of the Spanish Dukes are a bunch of incestuous twats who are all cross-allied so going to war with one bring the entirety of northern Spain onto my head.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:56 AM

I had a game going once where I united the north (and the Brittish Isles) as the empire of Scandinavia.  Then, entirly on their own, the various kings of the Brittish Isles (and denmark) all sarted launching their own wars into spain and grabbing land.  I wasn't even doing anything.  I just sat and watched as Spain turned into a 100 year long gangbang of Christians, Muslims, and Vikings killing each other.  Was pretty bad ass.  I should really convert the save into an EU4 campaign.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:20:47 AM

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 05:53:14 AM

A little consequence of your 'trusting' trait? why so serious?
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 05:40:13 AM

A little consequence of your 'trusting' trait? why so serious?
This got me good  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 01:44:22 PM

Rumble in the Jungle! Part 2.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:43:46 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 05:06:16 AM

Serves you right for spending all your time thrusting your lance into Catholics.

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:41:13 AM

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 05:23:43 PM

PaxAus and work gots me all not ck2ing, back to the game! Also if anyone has any idea as to why the image quality is so ass let me know.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 06:25:04 AM

I like how the Jihad is going. Good work.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 08:30:41 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 07:23:27 AM

This is incredibly interesting since I suck at this game.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 06:52:17 PM

So in what is becoming a recurring theme my save game has become broken and unplayable due to an update. This is something I *could* fix if the game wasn't an encrypted ironman save, which is even more annoying. If anyone knows how to de-ironman a ck2 save I could keep going, but all my google-fu has come up with nothing. I at least got to do everything I set out to do, but it's still frustrating. Am thinking I might start a new non-ironman game as I do want play a game and convert it to eu4, but not sure if people are interested It's also kind of hard to write a radicalthon for ck2.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 05:52:19 AM

Why are all your saves terrible?

You need a new computer.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 08:11:39 AM

Heh, yeah this little laptop is starting to fail I think. I've managed to recover the save though, but had to revert ck2 to the previous version, more radicalthon will come (much later)!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 09:07:00 AM

Black Friday yo. Getcha self a new rig. Might I recommend:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 09:31:14 AM

Posting that this is still going, currently half-way through moving and won't have reliable net for awhile, but will try to update this next week. Thought I'd post a composite screen of what the realm looks like so far:

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 11:48:46 AM

Soon, the world.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 06:38:23 PM

I'll do a proper update eventually, but until then, a map that looks very different to the base games starting map of the 15th of September 1066...

Yes yes... soon the world...
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 06:49:18 PM

Make Turkestan your bitch.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 07:59:55 PM

Holy crap, the Teutonic order went nuts!  Also, exists several centuries before it should.

-Stephen Colbert
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 02:38:06 AM

Make Turkestan your bitch.
They shall all be my bitch.
Holy crap, the Teutonic order went nuts!  Also, exists several centuries before it should.
The earlier start has some Catholic provinces in Africa, this leads to Jihads triggering way too early and thus Crusades soon after. Since holy orders are tied to the Crusades activating, they all pop up centuries earlier then they should, the new start is easily the weakest in terms of breaking game mechanics.

I didn't realize the last time I updated this was in November (!), time to get everyone up to speed.

You'll notice half way through my flag changes, this is because I turned off the muslim random flags because they're so ugly it hurts, the proper ibadi caliphate flag is much, much better.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 03:09:34 AM

One fun thing to do when shifting to an EU4 campaign is to tear apart your grand empire in some elaborate way, then convert that save.  Then play as whatever random country you want in this new crazy world (in your case, lots of European Muslim nations).  As I mentioned, I had a Scandinavian game where I created a Scandinavian empire that covered all of Scandinavia, northern Europe, the British Isles, and over half of Spain (the holy roman empire kept pace though, and encompassed all its usual German territories as well as all of modern day France and Italy).  I then role played some grand collapse of the Norse empire (seriously, seeing how badly you can make the whole thing fall apart is almost as fun as building it up), and converted it over to EU4.  The whole map is totally different, and the holy wars of the 16th and 17th centuries turned into a hilarious Norse/Muslim/catholic/protestant cluster fuck of mass death.  Also, Viking colonist in Africa/Asia.

Could probably have fun doing someting similar with the current map.  I'm probably going to try doing someting like that again soon (not sure which grand empire I'll attempt to create then destroy this time).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:08:04 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 05:27:26 PM

I want to try doing something with the end result though, like photoshop the endscreen and print off a huge wall map, making it look super old. Will be a fun way to remember all the times playing ck and eu over the years, since I've put easily over 1000 hours into the series, and seeing the missus facepalm every time she walks past. Having friends flesh out the other countries in eu4 will make it even more flavorsome (if anyone wants to join in that they're more then welcome, assuming they can deal with +11GMT  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS).

If anyone wants an implosion however, that can always be arranged Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 06:43:59 PM

Fuck an implosion, rule the world. Take it the distance. Print out a map for the wall and point at your giant Muslim nads everytime the wife shakes her head.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 05:04:57 AM

Pointing out how many tines you've gotten syphilis over the years will be a nice touch too.

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:59 AM

Pagz - Master of Syphilis

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 08:31:20 AM

Pointing out how many tines you've gotten syphilis over the years will be a nice touch too.
Only if he points out the location he received it on the map each time.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 05:44:53 PM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:57 AM

I love this game, but I hope in CK3, they make it way easier for your empire to just fall apart abruptly.  Its too easy to steamroll everything once you build yourself up, even with a retarded heir.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:51:50 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 06:14:57 AM

Hunting is a bitch.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: CK2: The Umayyad Strikes Back  
Jump to: