Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 177470 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 05:21:14 PM

So basically you can play SWTOR as a well-produced single-player game with good voice acting and stories for $35.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 10:11:09 PM

My Imps are Vhashik and Kylantha.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 08:42:17 AM

I have extremely little interest in SWTOR as a multiplayer game, but as a single player game, I definitely want to experience the story content. I've never played a day of SWTOR in my life before.

I'll take the gear rewards on all the story quests, which it sounds like should cover most of what I need to progress, but is there anyone here who would be willing to craft me any additional gear necessary to make it through the end of the story content, in exchange for me using your referral code or whatever you else you prefer?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 08:55:25 AM

I don't know how to craft yet, or I would.  I don't know about the referral codes, but I wouldn't mind if some one sent me one or what ever if they get something nice for it.  If you need my display name, it's Birtie.  (don't ask)  The imp I'm playing right now is named Gravenstein.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 10:20:14 AM

I really want the 5th friend reward pet, but I'm not a subscriber so I cannot give a referral.

I'm happy to craft gear, though going through the story line you'll rapidly outgrow it.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 11:03:17 AM

I went from 35 to 40 in an evening of not very energetic play, so yeah, any gear will be ludicrously outgrown in no time.  What I did was equip all customizable gear and just threw in better mods wherever I found one.  It tended to suffice.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 12:01:40 PM

I made a few sets of armorings on my (ex-main) cybertech, but most of my gear was still outgrown as I levelled from 10 to 48. That said, I managed to complete the story as a squishy Sentinel with no problems, picking up a few quest rewards here and there... though it got pretty crazy in a few fights before I finally got my healer companion. Thankfully I was able to keep both lightsabers up to date purely through story quest rewards, which is nice -- I was afraid a dualwield class would suffer there.

e: also, investing in the Rocket Boost thing has been the best investment of ~200 cartel coins ever. 110% 'mount' usable at level 1, works indoors, can use it with stealth...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:04:43 PM by Zetor »

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:21 AM

e: also, investing in the Rocket Boost thing has been the best investment of ~200 cartel coins ever. 110% 'mount' usable at level 1, works indoors, can use it with stealth...

Sounds like a plan... 200 coins is like ~$2 right? And presumably the mount can be transferred between chars? What else should I be buying if I'm a story tourist?
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 12:08:14 PM

Well, it's not a real mount, just a 12-second super-sprint... it's on a 30-sec cooldown if fully upgraded, though.

It's just that so much of the game takes place in 'no mount' areas that it's a real lifesaver... also serves as a pretty great ghetto mount before 20 (or 25? I forget).

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 03:26:56 PM

Well, it's not a real mount, just a 12-second super-sprint... it's on a 30-sec cooldown if fully upgraded, though.

It's just that so much of the game takes place in 'no mount' areas that it's a real lifesaver... also serves as a pretty great ghetto mount before 20 (or 25? I forget).

Cool, that works -- can I transfer it between chars?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 03:39:50 PM

If you buy it with CC, it should unlock for everyone.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 04:11:24 PM

I don't know how to craft yet, or I would.  I don't know about the referral codes, but I wouldn't mind if some one sent me one or what ever if they get something nice for it.  If you need my display name, it's Birtie.  (don't ask)  The imp I'm playing right now is named Gravenstein.

Don't craft unless you have characters with all the resource gathering skills, preferably maxed. Also, if you're planning on being serious about it and try to research some of the specific purple plans be prepared to burn through a solid week of crafting and failures and piles of mats that took you a month to gather. For the most part you're better off doing the story missions with your highest character and using the tokens to buy reward gear to twink your alts.

At lower levels crafting is fun and easy, but the upper tiers take horrific amounts of time. Like queue up 5 items to build, go watch a movie or go to the store, and get back with out half the crafting time left on the last item.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 05:04:36 PM

Sounds like a plan... 200 coins is like ~$2 right? And presumably the mount can be transferred between chars? What else should I be buying if I'm a story tourist?

If you're a story tourist, then you should set up your account for easily outfitting alts:

1.  Spend $10 to buy 1000 coins (on the SWTOR website).
2.  Use 500 coins to buy a cartel pack (in-game) of whatever is popular / on the front page of the cartel window (or check GTN prices for the packs, see which one sells for the most).
3.  Sell the cartel pack (unopened) on the GTN auction house for 150k - 250k credits, this will give you some in-game funds.

4.  Use 100k credits to buy a full set of some cheap cartel armor.  You can look in the Collections interface for the names of the outfits, then search the GTN for them, find a cheap one.  Make sure you get ALL the parts, most outfits have 5-7.
5.  Once you equip this outfit on 1 character, it will be placed into Collections for that character.
6.  Make an alt and use some of the remaining 500 coins to unlock this armor outfit account-wide.  You now have a full set of orange that any of your present and future alts can get, for free, unlimited.

7.  Set up a deal with Lantyssa or other crafters, see if she/they can make the mods to put into the orange armor above, for mats.  You mail the mats that are required, she mails back the mods a couple hours later.
7b.  You can also buy mods for your armor from various vendors on each planet, using credits or planet commendations.  You can upgrade every 4-5 levels as you get to each new planet in your story arc.

8.  Train 3 gathering skills on your character so you can get mats.  Sell the surplus on the GTN; you can make a lot of in-game money that way.  Buy whatever mats you can't gather but need, with the money you've made.

The cartel market lets you buy things with cartel coins, but you can also find the same things extremely cheaply on the GTN, for credits.  If you really want something, buy cartel packs with coins, sell the cartel packs unopened for credits (this converts coins to in-game credits), then buy whatever you wanted from the GTN.  Equip it on one character, then pay some more cartel coins to unlock it account-wide (this is how you "transfer" mounts, for example - 5k credits gets you a purple cartel speeder, +90 coins makes it account-wide free).

Recommendations for account-wide unlocks are:
1 speeder
1 set of orange armor (or more)
1 level-10 crystal with +41 endurance or +41 power (some colors are very cheap)

You don't need weapons - you get plenty from quests, and companions come pre-equipped with their own.
You can get orange off-hands (shields, etc) on Nar Shaddaa for planet commendations, or later on Voss for credits.

For your ship, once you get it with your first character, spend cartel coins to unlock (account-wide):
- the GTN access
- the mail box
- extra hangar storage
- extra inventory space
- reduced teleportation delays
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:12 PM

Ajax, thank you so much for taking the time to write that out! That's incredibly helpful.

What's the reason for purchasing the level 10 crystal? Will that be helpful for all my characters, or is that a once-per-character thing?

How do I enter in a person's referral code when I subscribe and buy the expansion?

Edit: Motherfucking game won't run, after I hit 'play' at the launcher it just loads up a black screen for a fraction of a second and then nothing, straight to desktop.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:49:50 PM by Scold »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 01:41:06 AM

I always liked SWTOR, but I hated the ability creep at higher levels. Felt like I needed at least 20 hotkeys just for normal rotations. I wish they could bring this down to 8 to 10. It would make the game much more enjoyable for me.

That's part of why the only way to play it properly at a certain level was to macro it all on one or two keys. In the end, you just spammed "Main Rotation Macro Hotkey" and kept a few situationals on other buttons.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 15, 2014, 07:38:32 AM

Instead of buying upgrades for your ship, work on your stronghold.  Not sure when that opens up, but any character on the account can visit.  (1k credits a trip if on an opposite faction planet, which is still cheap.)

You only need one copy of everything for the stronghold as opposed to each ship, and the legacy storage is the greatest thing ever.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #51 on: October 15, 2014, 07:44:16 AM

Ditto the stronghold upgrades, very nice feature to have and you can go there and then directly back to where you ported from, or to the fleet, or to your ship. Easy town trip and legacy storage. If they put trainers and crafting vendors in there....

Also, the stylistic graphics hold up really well when everything it pushed to ultra. The textures for the most part are neat and sized properly and have a really nice and clean look.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:45:48 AM by Sky »
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 07:55:09 AM

So, uh, hate to lean on y'all for tech support, but has anyone encountered a similar issue to what I'm seeing w/ the brief black screen after hitting 'play' then nothing but desktop?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 08:17:24 AM

No, but they just got out of a downtime, so if you've tried recently that might be the issue.  If not, do a repair installation from the launcher options.  If that doesn't resolve, eh...  Hit their tech support forums, I guess. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 15, 2014, 08:19:20 AM

Yeah, I think you hit them during downtime.  I'm trying now and its updating the launcher.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 11:46:04 AM

I had no idea about the account wide orange gear stuff.

I think I'm giving this a go.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #56 on: October 15, 2014, 01:03:10 PM

Discovered this is free.  Might try it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #57 on: October 15, 2014, 01:30:15 PM

I only lasted about two months into this.  Not because I thought it was bad, but because gameplay became to samey (and a bit too grindy) as other MMO's.  Going back and speed running through this as various characters for their stories is highly appealing to me.  Might be the first thing I do after I get back home, build my new rig, and play that damn Mordor game you all rave about.

It's a well put together experience, just wish they had made KOTOR 3 instead.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 05:58:22 PM

I only lasted about two months into this.  Not because I thought it was bad, but because gameplay became to samey (and a bit too grindy) as other MMO's.  Going back and speed running through this as various characters for their stories is highly appealing to me.  Might be the first thing I do after I get back home, build my new rig, and play that damn Mordor game you all rave about.

It's a well put together experience, just wish they had made KOTOR 3 instead.

The Mordor game looks amazing to me... and I have no idea why anyone would play it right now. It'll be $10 in Game of the Year Edition on a Steam sale in a year or so, there are amazing games to play in the meantime, why pay full price to play right now? Unlike Assassin's Creed, where you might want to drop cash to be the first to see how the story progresses, Mordor doesn't exactly need any spoiler alerts.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 06:51:13 PM

The Mordor game looks amazing to me... and I have no idea why anyone would play it right now. It'll be $10 in Game of the Year Edition on a Steam sale in a year or so, there are amazing games to play in the meantime, why pay full price to play right now?
What amazing games? You mean the ones we played half a decade ago?

Unlike Assassin's Creed, where you might want to drop cash to be the first to see how the story progresses
Oh, nevermind. Apparently I can safely disregard your opinion.   Ohhhhh, I see.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 15, 2014, 07:25:24 PM

What's the reason for purchasing the level 10 crystal? Will that be helpful for all my characters, or is that a once-per-character thing?

It's a crystal that you can put into any weapon (yours, your companions') at level 10 that has level 50 stats.  The regular level 10 crystals have +3 end, this has +41.  If you make one crystal account-wide and put the free copies of it in all your weapons and off-hands, you're basically overpowering yourself and your companions for at least half of the game's levels.  You can be more lax about upgrading your other gear because of the extra hit points that you get from endurance, or the extra damage that you do with the Power.  You can use 2 crystals and your companion can use 2, so you're getting (theoretically) +164 endurance = +1640 hit points, at level 10.  That's a lot.  Diminishing returns as you advance, but it's definitely recommended.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:00 PM

So, uh, hate to lean on y'all for tech support, but has anyone encountered a similar issue to what I'm seeing w/ the brief black screen after hitting 'play' then nothing but desktop?

I had this problem a while back and then realized I was using videocard drivers from when I build this computer several years ago. I upgraded my drivers and the problem went away.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:34 PM

It's a crystal that you can put into any weapon (yours, your companions') at level 10 that has level 50 stats.  The regular level 10 crystals have +3 end, this has +41.  If you make one crystal account-wide and put the free copies of it in all your weapons and off-hands, you're basically overpowering yourself and your companions for at least half of the game's levels.  You can be more lax about upgrading your other gear because of the extra hit points that you get from endurance, or the extra damage that you do with the Power.  You can use 2 crystals and your companion can use 2, so you're getting (theoretically) +164 endurance = +1640 hit points, at level 10.  That's a lot.  Diminishing returns as you advance, but it's definitely recommended.

Generally speaking I would recommend a power crystal over an endurance crystal.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 09:54:37 AM

I accidently put my crystal in my newbie lightsaber and not my dualbladed one. Now I have to spend 7k to get it out. I don't have 7k.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 12:23:12 PM

Is it one of the 500 cartel coin ones?  I bought a green +power one last night; once I added it to my gear, it appeared in my Collections tab and now I can make infinite copies of it.  Check there.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 03:32:49 PM

Oh. I'll have to check that out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #66 on: October 17, 2014, 08:33:04 AM

I didn't realize collections worked that way, that's pretty sweet. Bought an endurance crystal, still a nice deal for my lvl 28ish operative. If I stay subbed another month I might need to look into a power crystal per Ingmar. For my three or four older characters I do have the level 50 crystals from one of the rackghoul events (black/green?), but I don't think replicate like the collections do.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:52 PM

That's the entire reason for collections basically. Collect a suit of armor, now have unlimited copies on that character and the ability to unlock it for every character on your account with some CC.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 18, 2014, 07:29:25 AM

I wish it was easier to filter what you have though.  You can scroll endlessly looking for a single item if you don't know what category it's in.

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 30, 2014, 10:06:40 PM

Okay wtf am I missing here? Legacy window, not seeing anything for unlocks or that will let me buy the Rocket Boost.

Edit: turns out I had to finish the first planet lol
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:09:25 AM by Scold »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: