Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:20:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Cities: Skylines 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cities: Skylines  (Read 14453 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: September 30, 2014, 09:34:41 AM

It was unveiled during Gamescom, will be published by Paradox;i t's being developed by Colossal Order, which also created "Cities in Motion".  It's basically Cities in Motion meets Sim City, and it looks very promising, an attempt to create the ultimate city building experience.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines

Creation Trailer

Gameplay official commentary

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 01:07:06 PM

Interest: piqued.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:33:29 PM

I'm down.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:05:34 AM

Will I get a free Nissan download?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 05:13:41 AM

Preview copies have been sent to Twitch streamers yesterday. It looks VERY VERY good as far as planning flexibility go, can't stop watching the streams (some are quite funny).

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Cities%3A%20Skylines

Comes out on March 10th .

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 01:11:50 PM

Looks fantastic. I might get it just to "look" at it. See places growing and things like that.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 01:30:13 PM

Looks fantastic. I might get it just to "look" at it. See places growing and things like that.

Not a Day 1 purchase for me, but definitely soon thereafter.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 03:13:14 PM

Interested from the beginning and now that the initial word seems to be positive I am not going to hesitate to pick it up.  I've been waiting for a game like this for a while.  I'm trying to avoid streams though, I kind of just want to explore it for myself.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 03:25:51 PM

In this particular case, half the fun of these streams is watching how far you can go with your idea of interconnecting roads and highways  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? . Not to mention layouts that look like Nazca lines/crop circles with some dystopian residential quarters put in :P (all of this as you repeat to yourself: "I'm surely going to lay down my city better than these fools!"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 04:30:52 AM

I have it purchased I can possibly report if it sucks (unless someone beats me to it with the Tuesday unlock.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
glennshin
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:41 AM

If they wholesale steal Simcity 4/rush hour & just add graphics & input enhancements it would be day one for sure.
Why the hell is everyone (EA's abortions) moving away from depth in games, especially city sims ?!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:59 AM

The ShineyTM

glennshin
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 12:10:24 PM

*shakes fist*

goddamm kids...

back in my day we played w/ colored shapes possibly doing things to other shapes & that was it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:57:31 PM by glennshin »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 01:01:32 PM

If they wholesale steal Simcity 4/rush hour & just add graphics & input enhancements it would be day one for sure.
Why the hell is everyone (EA's abortions) moving away from depth in games, especially city sims ?!

I mean, this is probably the closest we've gotten to that. This looks like it has approximately nothing in common with Sim City 2013.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:24:12 PM

Is it a deep sim or a shallow sim? Do we know yet?

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:47 PM

What features are you, specifically, looking for?
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 04:36:54 PM

Hmm. Probably a heavy focus on financial management and city planning, with decent reporting and analytics. Scenario play, ideally. Like the older Sim Cities.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 05:25:21 PM

I don't think the base game will include scenarios.

Here's a section of the official forums that has all the Dev Diaries. A nice one was dedicated to Info Views . Graphs! Colours!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:03 PM

A nice one was dedicated to Info Views . Graphs! Colours!

Sploosh.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 06:20:03 AM

Watching Paradox's stream this morning. There is an overlay where you can see the water flow of the rivers in the city. It helps you plan where to put dams. Sold!

It really seems like they are putting a lot of detail into this thing.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 03:02:38 PM

Make sure to pick it up off of GreenManGaming for 23% off.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 04:40:48 AM

Make sure to pick it up off of GreenManGaming for 23% off.

Yep, absolutely: on that site, regular edition is €21, Deluxe €27 (you just have to register on their website, then enter the "VIP" section)

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 01:41:28 PM

This is probably the first time I have truly been interested enough in a City Management Sim to actually consider buying one. It just seems to have everything I'd want from this sort of game that EA no longer wants to deliver.
I'm pretty dreadful at micro-management so it'd be an exercise in glorious failure at the very least.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 03:12:46 PM

I picked it up and am looking forward to seeing how good it is. I've been itching to play a modern decent to good city builder for awhile (I was recently playing some of the older ones, like Pharoah and Sim City 4). Watched a number of streams and I've liked what I've seen. Can already see the game has some issues (some things I'd like aren't in the game and there's some traffic-lane issues I hope get sorted) but it, by and large, looks fairly solid and I already have a plan on how to build my first city (and inevitably fuck it up).

To be honest, however, they almost won me over purely on the marketing of being the anti-Sim City 5.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 03:46:00 PM

On the official Paradox stream the guy hosting it was fielding questions and someone asked if it was required to be online to play. He said something to the effect of "modern technology has progressed so much that we don't do any processing on the server side here, your computer can take care of all of it". Fucking EA. God they botched SimCity so bad.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:52 PM

Offline play, moddable as heck out of the box including coming with an editor, large cities that still let you get the micro level information/stats.

Yeah, I'll see you all next year.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 06:47:07 AM

Got my key from GreenManGaming, all set for this evening (it will be unlocked at 10am PDT/7pm CET), although I won't be able to play it right off the bat  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

If I recall well, the download size, bar any Day 1 patch, should be around 1.5GB .

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 07:59:28 AM

Yep, going to be firing this up this evening when I get home
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 10:19:42 AM

I'm installing it right now. It's a 1.9 gig download.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 11:29:38 AM

Yep, game is now unlocked (and Steam servers seem to be under heavy load) awesome, for real

New launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gI2N10QyRA

Link to the official forums (beside the Steam one):
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?859-Cities-Skylines

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 12:34:21 PM

It seems to so far play much like the original SimCity series (SimCity 4), preset maps, unlocks based on city size, road building, services, etc. Water Flow direction is nice, it's something SimCity 3? 2? had, and you probably don't want to build waste water pipes upstream.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 04:25:08 PM

Current status:

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 04:38:09 PM

Enjoying it so far, after about 5 hours of play. Feels like a proper Sim City game, basically. The tilt effect, which makes things blurry, especially when you zoom in, is something I had to turn off (slider all the way to the left), but other than that I'm enjoying the graphics; though I am worried things may look a bit too similar; not sure there's enough building models for the various zones.

Sitting around 7k population at the moment. I could easily grow it, but I'm currently saving up to re-work the main road into a highway system now that traffic along it is hitting critical mass between my residential area and the forestry industrial area. I've been very careful in the planning of my city so far, so I have the room to do it and easily create on/off ramps onto the non-highway streets. So far I don't see any reason to go above 2 way, 2 lane streets as above that you can create traffic lights, which kills traffic flow. Once I un-lock subways and bother with buses I'm fairly sure the only heavy traffic I'll have is the heavy trucks used by industry and goods shipping and I've left enough room and a layout I'm hoping will work with cargo train rail system.

I wish the water system was more complicated, but it works, so I'm fine with it. The amount of purple water my little town is creating is amusing, though.

My only real complaint is the god damn twitter bird. Fuck that bird. It needs to die.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 06:10:16 PM

I, for one, enjoy the realism that public policy is so heavily influenced by tweets.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 06:43:22 PM

Started the download as soon as I got home. Got a break from the kid for a few minutes so I decided to fire it up. I couldn't get it to activate and I kept banging my head against it until I realized that I had installed Cities XL by mistake because they were in the list next to each other. So I get to start the download again.  swamp poop
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Cities: Skylines  
Jump to: