Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Curation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Curation  (Read 25822 times)
Kail
Terracotta Army

on: September 22, 2014, 06:01:07 PM

So, the Steam storefront just got an overhaul, presumably to help people sift through the flood of smaller releases.  Among the new developments is the addition of something called "Steam Curators."

As far as I can tell, Curators are basically the same thing as groups (literally the same thing, each group has it's own curated games list) with group officers / mods running the list.  The only difference is that anyone can "follow" a group to see what they've recommended (different from "joining" a group, which you can restrict access to)

Is the F13 group doing anything with this?  Any plans or anything?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:40 PM

I kinda like the idea of that.  Except for the part where we'd have to figure out who the arbiters of good taste are.  Some of you all like some really appalling games.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:06:40 PM

Funny, I was just poking around this shit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:07:28 PM

And don't get me wrong, part of me wants to recommend 1 game ten times. 100% Orange Juice. And then nothing else ever.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:09:41 PM

I found one game I would actually recommend. Gaming is fucking terrible.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:28:58 PM

I kinda like the idea of that.  Except for the part where we'd have to figure out who the arbiters of good taste are.  Some of you all like some really appalling games.   awesome, for real

You've clicked a few cookies in your time.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:14:40 PM

WE RECOMMEND U BORDERLANDS PREQUEL BECAUSE ITS POPULAR

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:15:51 PM

You've clicked a few cookies in your time.  awesome, for real
That's what the JavaScript console is for.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:15:23 AM

Does it pay through in Steam XP if someone buys from your Curated page?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:13 AM

Does it pay through in Steam XP if someone buys from your Curated page?

AFAIK, no, it's just like the Steam reviews where the only reward is attention.

PS when did we change the F13 group icon?  That's beautiful.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:17:34 AM

I changed it while I was working on the Steam Curation thing. I realized the one game I could recommend was older than some gamers playing games today.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 11:26:16 AM

The best thing to come out of this overhaul is that you can now see what DLC you own for a game on the DLC page. That was fucking irritating having to click every DLC.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 01:32:30 AM

This seems fun.  Come on, there are a ton of games that were popular amongst large hunks of the community.  I'm sure we can get some sort of thread going where people throw suggestions out at what we'd consider great games, and then all come to some sort of general consensus on including it or not.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 07:22:27 AM

The best thing to come out of this overhaul is that you can now see what DLC you own for a game on the DLC page. That was fucking irritating having to click every DLC.

Thanks for pointing that out; yes, that's a really great fix.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 01:25:14 PM

This seems fun.  Come on, there are a ton of games that were popular amongst large hunks of the community.  I'm sure we can get some sort of thread going where people throw suggestions out at what we'd consider great games, and then all come to some sort of general consensus on including it or not.
Curation demands only the best. Otherwise it's the same as every other list, to which a description may as well be "This list is wrong."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 01:40:11 PM

Curation demands only the best. Otherwise it's the same as every other list, to which a description may as well be "This list is wrong."

We could just copy and paste from the front page, since the concept of that is already "only the best".   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

As evidenced by how long it's been since I played a game that I personally thought was frontpage-worthy.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 02:12:19 PM

I don't know that I agree with that.  It only demands the best if you say it's the best.  There's nothing stopping us from just putting up a list of "games we like" or something, as long as it's clear that's what we're doing.  The stuff we like is going to be different than the stuff other groups like (for that matter, the stuff individuals in our group like isn't going to be the same either) but it still might be helpful to people with similar interests.

We're not compiling a list of the top 10 games ever or something, that's a "this list is wrong" scenario.  "Games you might want to check out" or "games we play a lot" or "hidden gems" or something like that are lists that are a lot harder to argue with.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

We could just copy and paste from the front page,

This is 2014, let's just post a link.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 02:59:52 PM

I don't know that I agree with that.  It only demands the best if you say it's the best.  There's nothing stopping us from just putting up a list of "games we like" or something, as long as it's clear that's what we're doing.  The stuff we like is going to be different than the stuff other groups like (for that matter, the stuff individuals in our group like isn't going to be the same either) but it still might be helpful to people with similar interests.

We're not compiling a list of the top 10 games ever or something, that's a "this list is wrong" scenario.  "Games you might want to check out" or "games we play a lot" or "hidden gems" or something like that are lists that are a lot harder to argue with.

What's nice is that Steam already does that on an individual basis across your friends list (I think I have most of the f13 people on my friends list anyway).  I wouldn't have played Gone Home if Quinton hadn't written a recommendation of it on Steam, which then got floated in front of me at some point due to magic "here's stuff you might like" algorithms.  Shit's pretty cool.

By the way, I do not recommend Dream (similar genre of artsy adventure game), which is a shame because I really wanted it to be good.

schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 04:00:24 PM

Everyone will be putting up a list of "Games we like." That's like, the low-bar for a list like this. I'd rather have an incendiary and short list up that we simply call the actual best. That said, I don't expect people to follow us for curation anyway. So it's kind of moot. I had more fun making the new group icon than I did looking for games to put in the list.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:56 AM

Someone replaced your recommended game with Rise of Nations.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:28 AM

Everyone will be putting up a list of "Games we like." That's like, the low-bar for a list like this. I'd rather have an incendiary and short list up that we simply call the actual best. That said, I don't expect people to follow us for curation anyway. So it's kind of moot. I had more fun making the new group icon than I did looking for games to put in the list.
I figured it would mainly be a way for us to recommend games to each other.  If your not worried about people looking at our group anyways, is there a way to allow all F13 members to post up games as recommended?  People here tend to have better taste than normal and it would be nice to see a list of top games they recommend all in one nice easy to see list.

Also, I really hope somebody did jokingly replace what ever your one amazing game was with Rise of Nations.  Because if thats it.....   ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 09:22:09 AM

Didn't schild help make RoN?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 09:41:08 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 09:44:08 AM

schild can suck the fun out of an idea of creating lists, by trying to make it some ultimate list.

Making lists is fun. Also it's basically all that blogs do these days to generate views.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 09:45:46 AM

Bah, as it stands, it's the only good list on Steam. Best batting average, at least.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 09:49:06 AM

Bah, as it stands, it's the only good list on Steam. Best batting average, at least.

This kind of comment is why people accuse of you wearing the beret as you rate things.  awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 09:54:33 AM

I have a feeling people here didn't play Rise of Nations. It really is that good, besides, I only worked on the X-Pac.

That said, 2012, 13, and 14 were pretty much trash for gaming. We can PRETEEEEEEEEEEND there were amazing games, but we'd be lying. The last _amazing_ game that came out was Demon's Souls in 2009.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 10:01:44 AM

2012-2014 were awful for games. No argument there.

The last thing that amazed me was Skyrim in 2011. Before that, Mount and Blade in 2008.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:45 AM

I loved RTS's, remember looking forward to that game so much, and it being the biggest let down ever.  Rise of Nations was literally the first PC game I purchased and completely regretted doing so.  It was the game that showed me I should never pre-order anything.  

At least put Age of Empires 2 over it or something!

-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 10:07:20 AM

You regretted purchasing Rise of Nations? Is that a joke? Look, I didn't have a hand in the original, but that game directly led to me even applying to Big Huge Games. It was a fucking masterpiece, top to bottom. As good, and likely more balanced, than Age of Elbows.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 10:20:16 AM

I played Rise of Nations. It struck me as a nice game, but I was jaded on all RTS games at that point in time.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 06:35:35 AM

I probably played it, but it's been a while.  If you're going to ignore Super Metroid, might as well put RoN on there.

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 08:58:08 AM

Super Metroid?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 12:22:05 PM

We are talking about lists of best games ever, right?

Oh, PC Master Race.  Sorry.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Curation  
Jump to: