Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  (Read 296240 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #385 on: December 27, 2016, 10:41:21 AM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: December 27, 2016, 10:20:54 PM

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a817822/year-without-a-santa-clauss-heat-miser-actor-george-s-irving-dies/

George S. Irving - a Broadway veteran who famously lent his voice to classic cartoon The Year Without a Santa Claus - has died.

The Massachusetts-born actor passed away of natural causes in New York City on Boxing Day (December 26), his friend and director David Staller told Deadline.

Staller's statement read: "No human being ever told a story with as much crackle, or filled the room with such delight. He was incapable of speaking a line wrong.

"He had a gift for squeezing the most potent insight out of a role. As a man, he never had a harsh word to say about anyone. His heart was always open and ready to share. He will be missed beyond expression."

Irving's long stage career dates back to the early 1940s, when he starred in the original Broadway production of the now-classic Oklahoma!.

He would later win a Tony Award for Irene, a reinvention of the Joseph McCarthy play also starring Debbie Reynolds and her now-late daughter Carrie Fisher.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: December 28, 2016, 07:22:58 AM

Vera Rubin, pioneering astronomer, dies at 88

26 December 2016
    From the section US & Canada

Image caption Rubin discovered that the stars at the edges of galaxies moved faster than expected

Astronomer Vera Rubin, whose pioneering work on galaxy rotation rates led to the theory of dark matter, has died at the age of 88, her son says.

Allan Rubin said she died on Sunday of natural causes, AP reported. She was living in Princeton, New Jersey.

Her studies earned her numerous honours, including being the second female astronomer to be elected to the US National Academy of Sciences.

But many questioned why she was never awarded a Nobel Prize.

In 1974, Rubin discovered that the stars at the edges of galaxies moved faster than expected.

Gravity calculations using only visible matter in galaxies showed that the outer stars should have been moving more slowly.

To reconcile her observations with the law of gravity, scientists proposed there was matter we cannot see and called it dark matter.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38440291

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #388 on: December 28, 2016, 05:06:39 PM

That purveyor of bunny snuff lit, destroyer of childhoods, aka Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, died at 96 on Christmas Eve.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38446309
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:21 AM

Not really a celebrity, but the man who invented the red Solo cup has died.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: December 29, 2016, 10:04:22 AM

See other thread.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:59:35 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #391 on: December 29, 2016, 10:56:41 AM

Already in the Carrier Fisher thread.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #392 on: December 29, 2016, 11:22:15 AM

LaVell Edwards died. More of a local guy here as the former coach of BYU but for football fans he and his coaching tree pretty much redefined football over the last 40 years.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #393 on: December 29, 2016, 06:43:38 PM

EDIT: NEVER MIND.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #394 on: December 30, 2016, 03:01:35 PM

Jean-Christophe Victor died.

He has been moderating Le Dessous Des Cartes / Mit offenen Karten (~ "With open maps") since 1990 straight. A weekly ~11 minute documentary series on ARTE about geopolitics, illustrated with the help maps.

The show was is really a small gem. Shame to see him go.  sad

Only in French and German, else it would be something I'd recommend to the utmost.

English wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_dessous_des_cartes
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:03:18 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: December 31, 2016, 11:02:12 AM

Only 5 hours to go here

Sandra Giles, Actress in 'Daddy-O' and 'It Happened at the World's Fair,' Dies at 84

2:16 PM PST 12/30/2016 by Mike Barnes

FACEBOOK
    TWITTER
    EMAIL ME
    PRINT
    COMMENTS

American International Pictures (AIP)/Photofest
Sandra Giles with Dick Contino in the 1958 film 'Daddy-O.'
The blond bombshell, who was discovered at Canter's delicatessen, had a flair for publicity and dated tennis player Bobby Riggs.

Sandra Giles, an actress and Hollywood pinup queen who appeared in such films as Daddy-O and Elvis Presley's It Happened at the World's Fair, has died. She was 84.

Giles died in Los Angeles on Christmas Day after a battle with bullous pemphigoid, an autoimmune skin disease, her daughter, singer Sandra Piller, told The Hollywood Reporter.

In her big-screen debut, Giles bested singer-accordionist Dick Contino in a drag race and danced to some rock 'n' roll in Daddy-O (1958), which was scored by John Williams in his feature debut. The starlet also appeared in The Matchmaker, A Lust to Kill and Lost, Lonely and Vicious that year.

She later could be seen in Black Spurs (1965); with Raquel Welch in Flareup (1969); and in Black Gunn (1972), starring Jim Brown.

"She had that wonderful appeal for all the guys, but she didn't intimidate the women," the late producer A.C. Lyles once said. "She had the same innocence as Marilyn [Monroe]. She didn't look like she would go after someone's husband. And she had this great gift for publicity, hardly without even trying. It just seemed to come to her."

A native of Hooker, Okla., Lelia Bernice Giles came to California to be with her divorced mother. While working at Canter's delicatessen in Los Angeles, she was noticed by a press agent, jump-starting her career.

In 1958, Giles upstaged the Hollywood premiere of the Clark Gable-Doris Day film Teacher's Pet when she emerged in the rain from a pink, furry convertible Cadillac. That led to her being photographed in a bubble bath for a Life magazine spread that was headlined, "The Blond From Hooker — How to Become a Movie Star."

Later, Giles participated in a publicity stunt in which a nude painting of her was unveiled at the reopening of the Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas in 1966. And in the 1970s, she dated tennis player Bobby Riggs, right around the time of his Battle of the Sexes duel with Billie Jean King.

Giles also was on television in Bachelor Father, Peter Gunn, Rawhide, Burke's Law, Quincy M.E., Colombo, Land of the Giants, Adam-12 and The Odd Couple (in an episode with Riggs).

On the stage, she appeared with Tony Randall and Mickey Rooney in a production of The Odd Couple at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and co-starred with Don Knotts in Last of the Red Hot Lovers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sandra-giles-dead-daddy-o-actress-dies-at-84-960071

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: December 31, 2016, 08:30:49 PM

Hah. 2016 has one last bite while you were breathing a sigh of relief

http://womanista.com/2017/01/01/william-christopher-m-a-s-h-star-passes-away-at-age-84/

Another incredible actor leaves us in 2016. William Christopher, the actor best known as Father Mulcahy on the classic sitcom M.A.S.H., died today following a battle with lung cancer. He was 84, and died in his Pasadena home according to his son, John, who made the news public.

A Chicagoland native, born in Evanston, Illinois in 1932, Christopher appeared on The Andy Griffith Show, The Patty Duke Show, and The Men from Shiloh, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C, That Girl and Hogan’s Heroes.

In 1972, he landed his most well-known role, replacing the actor who portrayed Father Mulcahy in the M.A.S.H. pilot. He would remain a series regular throughout the show’s 11 season run, and was beloved by many in the role. He even played Father Mulcahy in the short-lived M.A.S.H.spinoff AfterMASH.

Christopher also held guest roles on shows such as The Love Boat, Good Times, Murder, She Wrote, and Mad About You. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: January 01, 2017, 12:43:45 AM

Jocularity.  sad

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: January 01, 2017, 01:48:09 AM

Used to watch MASH with my uncle when I'd visit, and later the reruns would become television staple. I know some of these folks are old, but this shit's just been brutal. I don't feel this old.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: January 15, 2017, 03:51:00 PM

Suppose we had best get 2017 started.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dick-gautier-dead-get-smart-actor-was-85-964369

Dick Gautier, Hymie the Robot on 'Get Smart,' Dies at 85

9:32 AM PST 1/14/2017 by Mike Barnes

Dick Gautier, who starred on Broadway in the original production of Bye, Bye Birdie and then famously played Hymie the Robot on the sitcom Get Smart, has died. He was 85.

Gautier died Friday night at an assisted living facility in Arcadia, Calif., after a long illness, his daughter Denise told The Hollywood Reporter.

Gautier, who started his career as a stand-up comic, received a Tony nomination for playing Conrad Birdie, the character based on Elvis Presley, in the memorable, original 1960 production of Bye, Bye Birdie, starring Dick Van Dyke.

The handsome actor appeared as Hymie on just six episodes of Get Smart over four seasons, yet he was one of the spy spoof's most popular characters.

Hymie, who was incredibly strong and had a supercomputer for a brain and wires and components in a compartment in his chest, originally was built for the evil organization KAOS but came over to CONTROL (the good guys) because Max (Don Adams) was the first one to treat him like a real person.

"When I met with the powers that be, I told them that when I was a kid in Canada I saw a man in a storefront window acting like a manikin to drum up business," he said in 2013. "If you could make him smile, you’d get $10. So, I tried, but not by acting crazy — I merely imitated his movements. I didn’t win the $10, but I got the part of Hymie, which was a little better."

Eventually, Max picked Hymie to be his best man for his wedding with Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon), and Gautier returned as the robot for a 1989 Get Smart TV movie.

In 1975, Gautier starred as Robin Hood on the short-lived ABC series When Things Were Rotten, co-created by Mel Brooks, who, of course, had launched Get Smart as well.

Gautier was a veteran stand-up performer and working at The Blue Angel nightclub in New York as an opener for headliner and singer Margaret Whiting when he was spotted by Bye, Bye Birdie director Gower Champion and Charles Strouse, who did the music for the production.

"They asked me to read for this thing," he recalled in a 2014 interview with Kliph Nesteroff. "I was a little put off because I didn't like rock and roll. Not at that point. I said, 'I don't think it's for me. I like Jerome Kern and George Gershwin.'

"They said, 'Will you at least come in and audition?' I went in and they said, 'Would you sing an Elvis song?' I said, 'I don't know any Elvis songs.' So they just played some blues and I ad-libbed and I guess they liked it. Couple months later they called."

Gautier told his agent, "'It's not for me. I feel very inhibited and very intimidated by this whole Elvis thing because it's not me.' He said, 'It's a satire.' Then I went, 'Ohhhhh.' When he said that, then I got it. Suddenly it was OK. I got the part, got a Tony nomination, and my career was in a whole different place. I didn't work nightclubs anymore."

Jesse Pearson played Conrad in the 1963 movie version.

Gautier was born on Oct. 30, 1931, in Culver City, and his father, a French-Canadian, worked as a grip at MGM. He spent some time growing up in Montreal and sang and did a comedy act with a band that wound up on a local TV show in Los Angeles.

Gautier served in the U.S. Navy, where he booked acts, including a young Johnny Mathis. When he got out of the service in San Francisco, he hung out at the hungry i nightclub and decided to try stand-up. He and the legendary Mort Sahl were among the first comics to be booked at the club, which would go on to become a renowned breeding ground for stand-ups.

The charming Gautier played clubs all over the country and for a time toured with the folk act The Kingston Trio. When he was looking for material for an act in Las Vegas, he paid Jay Leno and David Letterman $100 an hour to write jokes for him, he said in the chat with Nesteroff.

Gautier appeared in a guest stint on The Patty Duke Show and was in the Joshua Logan-directed Ensign Pulver (1964), and he had regular roles on the short-lived series Mr. Terrific and Here We Go Again, starring Larry Hagman. He also played an amorous sportscaster on an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

He co-wrote the 1968 pot movie Maryjane (1968) with Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall and the 1972 film Wild in the Sky (1972), starring Georg Stanford Brown.

Gautier also appeared in such films as Divorce American Style (1967) — playing Van Dyke's attorney — Fun With Dick and Jane (1977) and Billy Jack Goes to Washington (1977) and on TV shows including Charlie's Angels; The Love Boat; Murder, She Wrote; Silk Stalkings; and Nip/Tuck.

He also was a guest on many game shows, including Tattletales, on which he appeared with his then-wife, actress Barbara Stuart.

Starting in the mid-1980s, Gautier worked often as a voice actor, heard on such shows as Galtar and the Golden Lance, G.I. Joe, The Transformers, The New Yogi Bear Show and The Addams Family.

An accomplished artist, Gautier also wrote and illustrated several books about drawing and how to become a cartoonist.

"Cartooning has been my hobby, my therapy, a delicious pastime and on occasion my salvation — it got me through some tight financial spots when I was a struggling actor," he wrote in the introduction to his 1989 book, The Creative Cartoonist.

In addition to Denise, survivors include his former wife Tess; daughter Chris and son Rand; grandchildren Darby, Brandon, Megan and Elisa; and great-grandchildren Reya, Bella, Odette, Jade and Avery.

Hic sunt dracones.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #400 on: January 16, 2017, 01:09:14 PM

Today's contribution:

"WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Snuka has passed away at the age of 73 years old following a battle with stomach cancer."

73 is actually pretty impressive for a pro wrestler.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: January 16, 2017, 01:42:21 PM

It always amazes me how fake sports can really take a toll on the human body. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #402 on: January 16, 2017, 01:52:12 PM

Cos it's only fake in so far as the outcome is predetermined. The athletic and damage to the body part is very very real.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #403 on: January 16, 2017, 02:32:14 PM

Yeah seriously. It's body gymnastics put to a male oriented soap opera. But the acrobatics are pretty damn real.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: January 16, 2017, 02:51:28 PM

Cos it's only fake in so far as the outcome is predetermined. The athletic and damage to the body part is very very real.

I'll use green text next time.

Wrestlers are pure entertainers.  It's sad to see them go at an early age.

-  Mark Twain
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: January 16, 2017, 03:01:37 PM

Jimmy Snuka was also a giant piece of shit and likely a murderer, so I'm not terribly upset by his going.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: January 16, 2017, 06:20:19 PM

Gene Cernan, last human to set foot on the surface of the moon died today at 82.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: January 16, 2017, 10:38:43 PM

Yeah seriously. It's body gymnastics put to a male oriented soap opera. But the acrobatics are pretty damn real.

They are, as a group, also serious steroid abusers.  Not to mention that many of them seem to develop other serious drug problems.  It's amazing their hearts hold out as long as they do sometimes.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: January 17, 2017, 05:41:37 AM

They are, as a group, also serious steroid abusers.  Not to mention that many of them seem to develop other serious drug problems.  It's amazing their hearts hold out as long as they do sometimes.

The amount of cocaine Randy Savage did back in the 80s was said to be legendary. Many of the old coke fiend wrestlers back then are now dead of heart attacks, and one of the few left is Hogan, who I imagine sometimes lies in bed wondering when it's going to be his turn.

Most of the younger wrestlers performing nowadays lead shockingly clean lives compared to the guys in the 80s and 90s. Few to no drugs, little to no alcohol, steroids are rare.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #409 on: January 17, 2017, 07:16:44 AM

Mostly due to the fact that the business isn't 100% driven by Vince McMahon's infatuation with 260 lb bodybuilders anymore. WWE just ran a tournament in the UK to launch a new show, and the average participant was about 5'11 170 lbs.

Note to the one who mentioned it, yes Snuka was likely quite a piece of shit, but he's dead so I'll leave it at that.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: January 19, 2017, 02:31:07 PM

Bob Morton has been cashed out.  sad

RIP Miguel Ferrer

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: January 20, 2017, 12:08:17 AM

That'll be a relief for dick jones.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #412 on: January 20, 2017, 12:11:58 AM

Look how young he was back then:

Times passes to quick.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:35:43 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
WayAbvPar

Reply #413 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:35 PM

He was one of my favorite "Hey It's that guy!" actors. Consistently good in everything I saw him in.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #414 on: January 20, 2017, 12:08:18 PM

He was one of my favorite "Hey It's that guy!" actors. Consistently good in everything I saw him in.

That is Eugene Levy for me. God I hope I didn't curse him now...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: January 27, 2017, 07:46:30 AM

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/mike-connors-dead-dies-joe-mannix-1201971140/

Mike Connors, ‘Mannix’ Star, Dies at 91

Mike Connors, best known for playing detective Joe Mannix on 1960s and ’70s show “Mannix,” died Thursday in Tarzana, Calif. He was 91.

He had been diagnosed a week ago with leukemia, according to his son-in-law Mike Condon.

“Mannix” ran for eight seasons from 1968 to 1975 and was the last series from Desilu Productions. Connors won a Golden Globe for his performance as a tough, athletic investigator, who in quintessential detective show style, insisted on doing things his own way and often got beat up in the process. He drove an impressive series of muscle cars including a Dodge Dart and Chevrolet Camaro.

Desilu president Lucille Ball convinced CBS not to cancel the show despite initial poor ratings, and it caught on after being retooled into a somewhat more conventional detective series. Mannix’s secretary, played by Gail Fisher, was one of few African-American actresses on TV at the time. “Here’s Lucy” produced a crossover episode in 1971 with Connors and Ball, called “Lucy and Mannix Are Held Hostage.”

As recently as 2007, he made a guest appearance on “Two and a Half Men.” His other TV appearances included “Murder, She Wrote,” “Love Boat,” and “Walker, Texas Ranger.”

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: January 27, 2017, 03:43:38 PM

http://metv.com/stories/rip-barbara-hale-of-perry-mason

Barbara Hale, best known for her role as Della Street on the legal drama Perry Mason, passed away Thursday at the age of 94.

Born in 1922 in Northern Illinois, Hale moved to Hollywood in 1943 and started appearing on film in uncredited roles.

Not long after she arrived in the City of Angels, Hale signed a contract with RKO Pictures. In the 1940s, she appeared in the films Lady Luck, West of Pecos and Higher and Higher, the latter with Frank Sinatra.

Despite a strong movie career that continued into the 1950s with roles in Lorna Doone and The Jackpot,Hale landed the role of legal secretary Della Street on the drama Perry Mason in 1957.

The series ran for nine seasons, with Hale appearing in all 271 episodes.

After Perry Mason wrapped in 1966, Hale continued to make guest appearances on television in series like Ironside, Adam-12 and The Doris Day Show.

However, Hale remained forever dedicated to her most famous role. Throughout the 1980s and '90s, she appeared in 30 Perry Mason TV movies.

The Washington Post reported the death Friday afternoon. Hale's husband, Bill Williams, died in 1992. She's survived by her three children, Jodi, William and Juanita.

Her son, William Katt, is best known as the star of The Greatest American Hero. Katt paid tribute to his mother on Facebook, writing, "Lost my beautiful wonderful mom Barbara Hale yesterday afternoon…. We’ve all been so lucky to have her for so long. She was gracious and kind and silly and always fun to be with. A wonderful actress and smart business woman she was most of all a treasure as a friend and mother!"

Hic sunt dracones.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: February 07, 2017, 05:26:24 PM

Richard Hatch -- Apollo from original 'Battlestar Galactica -- has passed away.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/richard-hatch-dead-battlestar-galactica-star-captain-apollo-dies-1201980779/

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: February 07, 2017, 07:36:50 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: February 11, 2017, 01:07:10 AM

Mike Ilitch, owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers, has died at age 87. 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/mike-ilitch-dead-at-87-1.3977563
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  
Jump to: