Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  (Read 296259 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:08 AM

Thought maybe we could use a consolidated thread for lower-tiered famous people who passed on.

Richard Kiel died, just short of his 75th birthday.  Think "Jaws" from James Bond.  Yeah, that guy.

Frankly, I am surprised he made it that long.  Without knowing any of his health history, I remember him from Happy Gilmore, and thinking that he looked awful.  Pretty sure the were shooting his bits to specifically avoid showing how physically incapable he was.

Anyway, RIP Jaws.  Here's hoping there are steel cables for you to bite through, wherever it is you end up.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:06:25 PM by rattran »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:48:51 AM

Richard Kiel died? :(

In memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7uzxanhGeA
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:50:30 AM

What the everloving fuck? That's some RK47-level shit right there  swamp poop

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:00 AM

It's one of the first flash videos ever made. It predates endofworld.swf by like 2 years. In fact, I'd go as far to say that Neutrino paved the way for flash being used for weird videos on the web. It came out in 2002.

Edit: he also did Gender Neutral in 2001, but I can't find it because that phrase has been overtaken by shitheel Tumblr flesh sacks on youtube.

Edit: Found it on Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/63100
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:53:59 AM by schild »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:38 AM

I knew him and his studio best for Arfenhouse but that one is still a classic.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:50 PM

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 05:19:17 PM

He actually wasn't that freaky looking when he was younger. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teEo0zusEvA
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 06:42:24 PM

It's one of the first flash videos ever made. It predates endofworld.swf by like 2 years.

That was around the same time as All Your Base then? Or maybe even earlier? I didn't catch up with a lot of this until much later. And only some of it because of here smiley
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:33 PM

Pretty sure Gender Neutral predates it, I remember seeing it before All Your Base, but of course, internet history back then is spotty as fuck.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 08:08:04 PM

Mario Twins is pretty old too, since we're talking about ancient flash vids.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 08:34:22 PM

Kiel had a few of his movies hit by MST3k. Heres the 2 where he is most recognisable. In one of the others he is wearing a costume, and the other he is uncredited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j9jWFjE_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCb5rLjtF-4

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Kiel

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Eric the Actor/Midget died.  sad

Ack. Ack.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 02:10:52 AM

No idea who that is.

But then, Rob Bironas died and I suspect there are people who don't know who he his, either.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 06:52:15 AM

I know who Eric the Actor is and I'm sad.  I like when people shout at Howard Stern.   Heartbreak

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:31 AM

Don't know Eric the Actor but I do know who Rob Bironas is. Apparently Terry Bradshaw is his father-in-law. He wasn't on the Fox broadcast on Sunday.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 04:06:47 PM

Don't know Eric the Actor but I do know who Rob Bironas is. Apparently Terry Bradshaw is his father-in-law. He wasn't on the Fox broadcast on Sunday.

Same. Didn't know his Bradshaw connection though. Sad  Heartbreak

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 04:01:17 PM

Jan Hooks died.

Can you say "adobe"?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 04:17:02 PM

Wow.. there's a name I hadn't thought of in a long ass time. "Serious Illness" and only 57. Too bad.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 06:11:13 PM

Fuckin' Ebola, man. It is getting everyone!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 07:01:12 PM

Jan Hooks died.

SNL of my college/grad school years.  She died way too young.   sad

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 07:09:44 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/tom-magliozzi-dead-npr-car-talk_n_6095892.html

Tom Magliozzi, one half of the wisecracking Car Talk duo known as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers," has died from complications of Alzheimer's disease. He was 77.

Celebrity enough for me since I have listened to these guys for well over 15 years.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 10:27:29 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/tom-magliozzi-dead-npr-car-talk_n_6095892.html

Tom Magliozzi, one half of the wisecracking Car Talk duo known as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers," has died from complications of Alzheimer's disease. He was 77.

Celebrity enough for me since I have listened to these guys for well over 15 years.

Wow, I've listened to those guys since I was little.....I mean it was gonna happen but still....

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 06:14:21 AM

'Car talk' kept me company on so many cross country road trips.  He will be missed!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:40 AM

Explains a bit better why they stopped making new shows a few years ago.  Sad.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 09:10:52 AM

I remember him from Happy Gilmore, and thinking that he looked awful.  Pretty sure the were shooting his bits to specifically avoid showing how physically incapable he was.
I had this on in the background while painting the other day and you are correct, they were pretty careful with his scenes. There's one chase scene where he starts to run (awkwardly) and then it cuts to the crowd running without him.

He'll always be Jaws to me, though.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 08:01:48 AM

Stuart Scott died this morning. He was one of the great Sportscenter personalities of all time.

"As cool as the other side of the pillow" was one of his famous sayings.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:04:12 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 11:18:37 AM

Yeah, fuck cancer.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 01:15:54 PM

Stuart Scott is not a lesser celebrity though.  I've always looks upon him as an a-lister.  In reality, ESPN would suck greatly more than it already does w/o him imo; a trailblazer for sports commentating. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 01:55:36 PM

Stuart Scott is not a lesser celebrity though.  I've always looks upon him as an a-lister.  In reality, ESPN would suck greatly more than it already does w/o him imo; a trailblazer for sports commentating. 

Many people here have no idea about sports, so I figured I'd put it here. Either way, he was probably on the short list of ESPN Sportscenter personalities I could name off the top of my head. He, Berman, Kenny Mayne, Scott Van Pelt, and Keith Olberman were pretty much the reason I watched the network.

WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 01:57:06 PM

Yeah, fuck cancer.
This. 
Also- if there was a God,  this would have been Stephen A.  Smith.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 02:14:12 PM

So true. And skip bayless.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 02:55:29 PM

Ellie May Clampett (well the actress Donna Douglas) just died too. 

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 03:09:14 PM

Her career died a scant half century before she did.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 03:28:56 PM

Yet the adolescent fantasies of many will live on forever.

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 03:43:18 PM

Heh indeed. Black and white fantasies ftw.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  
Jump to: