Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:19:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Mordheim for the PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mordheim for the PC  (Read 21620 times)
swiftblade
Terracotta Army

on: August 18, 2014, 11:35:19 AM

I know this is a Bloodbowl forum, but I reckon most people who play bloodbowl might also like this...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/18/games-workshop-pc-mordheim-xcom/

Sounds pretty awesome huh? Multi player campaigns could be spectacularly good. What do folks think?

You don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:50 AM

I'm at the point where if I see anything with a GW logo on it anywhere, I just assume it will suck and I let IainC buy it first and confirm my suspicions.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:30 PM

I am cautiously optimistic about this one. I dearly would love to play some kind of turn-based strategy game on a regular basis (with people) that is not Blood Bowl, and had for a time hoped the new xcom multiplayer would fill that need. This one might do.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 06:43:39 PM

I hope this becomes a thing.

Could we move this, so people who aren't interested in Fantasy Football can see it?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
swiftblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 12:15:53 PM

So, I bought the early access. very basic, doesn't even have control options. Not really going to touch it again until they sort that out, but least I got 20% discount!

You don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 02:07:50 PM

I was going to post the same thing. I am definitely interested, especially considering the first rumors say it's not terrible at all..

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:30:22 AM

Wow.

I caved and picked this up, based on what I saw in videos and what I heard from people I trust.

I love it. As Swiftblade said it is pretty basic at the moment as it's on Early Access so you only have access to three factions and there's only very basic PvP (skirmish) and some tutorials, but it all feels really nice and cool and it's easy to see where this is going.

What is there needs lots of improvements of course, more content, etc., but fortunately they seem passionate, open and communicative and have already provided a roadmap for the near future. Even as a preview of the final game, there's already a lot to be excited about. I imagine it can only get better from here.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 02:35:47 PM

Sounds great. You a one of the grain of salt group, but it sounds great.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 03:36:10 PM

Good to hear as well, I'll probably pick this up then.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 04:20:29 PM

Two grains of salt, and definitely didn't went too deep into it yet. But there's a lot of goodness here, and I hope they won't find random ways to fuck it up.

One thing that is not that cool but it's probably what all these games are going to be like now: only four warbands at launch, more to be added as DLC.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 07:36:52 PM

So, there was an update released today.

There's still a good ways to go, but it's pretty good so far.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
swiftblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:51:09 PM

I still cannot play the damn game as they still have added an invert mouse option :(

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 01:21:46 AM

Yeah that's not cool. At least a Dev specifically said in the forums that they are aware of that and will fix it soon.

Loving it.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:38 PM

33% discount til the 6th.

I might bite.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 05:50:39 PM

From the email I got about it:

And the video.  http://youtu.be/6P5KrUpcjwU

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 04:42:59 AM

I bought it. Load times are looong, needs a better third person view, and the maps are a bit ugly and dull. Otherwise it looks like it has a bit of promise.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:12:55 AM by lamaros »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:05 PM

Yes, those are everyone's biggest complains. The map/bird's eye view is just incredibly messed up and makes playing harder (and less fun) than it should. Then, I'm a little worried that there's still 5 our of 8 functions that are in a "coming soon" stage in the Warband screen and they have been like that for months now. But yes, what's in it is cool so far. I just hope they won't run out of cash before adding everything that has to be added.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 02:57:21 PM

Yeah there is still a lot to do to make it decent, and a heap to make it great.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 03:06:52 PM

Tried the new Chaos warband last night, and they seem to be ridiculously overpowered.  I wiped out the whole human team and only took 85 damage.  Archers were pretty useless, doing 7 - 12 dmg once each round vs my melee units which were hitting 2 or 3 times for 30 - 50 dmg.  Spellcasters seem a bit useless too, so far.  

I'll have to try out the other warbands, and see if they've been buffed up any since the last update.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 03:15:11 PM

Oh balance is all over the place. They are still deciding on how much a basic attack is supposed to cost. That means they have no clue about where to go now, let alone when characters  will start leveling up (10 ranks).

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 09:05:11 PM

Against the AI or another player? There is also a bug ATM which means the AI starts with about half the team you do.

High initiative + speed + range Skaven rush looks a bit nasty at the moment on any map with climbing spots and the like, especially given the power of blocking spots where someone might want to come up/down.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 06:47:26 AM

Another content update for this, not had a chance to play it yet though.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 08:23:45 AM

Seems still slim for my tastes. Not enough quality of life improvements, actually none at all, and more maps which I don't care much for considering how unpolished it all is. I have good feelings about this game, but there's definitely more waiting to do for me.

swiftblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 02:34:25 AM

Still no inverted mouse support :( They "may" try to squeeze it in next update. Its simple stuff people!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 11:06:42 AM

Added
Control: Added option to disable gamepad, option to invert camera controls

swiftblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 01:34:21 AM

Added
Control: Added option to disable gamepad, option to invert camera controls

At last!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 10:16:36 AM

New big patch.

Main highlights.

- Mutation on level 10 Possessed characters.
- Armours that can be equipped now have a different look.
- Enchanting of items with runes and marks.
- 2 new maps.
- Lots of balance stuff.

Full notes under the spoiler.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 11:15:39 AM

This game just got the big "Progression" patch everyone was waiting for, and it all of a sudden got really interesting. It also unlocked the first Act of the single player campaign and while I haven't played any of the "story" steps, I finally understand what wyrdstones are for and how the whole mechanic will work, and it's interesting... from a single player perspective.

A little more obscure how to make it work for a multiplayer campaign or League. I was really thinking this could work in a certain Blood Bowl way (there's a lot of similarities) but too many things still need to be tested and while progression has been enabled for PvE, it hasn't for PvP. It will by next month's patch though, something they call the "Contest patch" or "Contest progression". It has to do with player tourneys anyway.

There's still lot to wait for but this last patch completely revitalized it for me.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:39 AM

It still looks pretty clunky and unfun to me when I've watched it. Also the camera is so fps that its hard to get a feel for the total battlefield seemingly. Its just an odd duck visually and I can't see why they made it the way they did. I mean combat just comes across as very boring. With random ass numbers on each hit and every unit's turn consisting of several swings into a hp bar.

Why isn't it just the normal WH system of attacks at X strength vs Y toughness to inflict wounds? The HP numbers somehow really offend me when I've checked on the game's progress.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 11:12:00 AM

Here's the real problem with this game: it's basically a single player game. Sure it can be played against other people, but there is ZERO support for multiplayer modes other than... just take one of your Warbands and pit it against a friend's. No dedicated server (ok) of any kind, no dedicated Multiplayer mode (in fact, your single player band is the same you'll use in mult and it still has to obery some of the single player campagn requirements), and ultimately, no way to balance things since the more you play the more your account learns skills and things that will affect any new Warband you create.

Meaning, if I play the single player campaign for enough time I'm earning Veteran Ranks and that stays with me no matter what Warbande you are using, so when I create a brand new Rank Zero warband to play with a friend who just started, I have inherently more power.

Despite Hoax's post, there's a lot of goodness in this game, I'm loving what is in it. But clearly the budget limitations are forcing them to relegate some important features to an afterthought, and considering that I just got this to play PvP in a Blood-Bowlish sorta Campaign-League (Mercenaries level up, get sick, die, etc.) mode and I didn't even know there was a single player campaign, unless something changes before launch I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed.

About Hoax's post, the only thing I am gonna address is that the numbers are absolutely not random ass, in fact the whole system with a million stats+buff+debuff+actions is one of the parts I like the most and luckily you can control every aspect of it down to the tiny numbers. About what it looks like or how stff or boring it feels, that's subjective. I particularly like that, in a way, the goal of the game is NOT to kill the enemy, but to gather enough wyrdstones and ship them to your Employer before a deadline WHILE trying to prevent your opponent to do the same and surviving and killing them in the process. If you don't fill the quota within ten days you get fired, and that's game over (single or multiplayer, they are one and the same). Reminded me of Blood Bowl, where the point is scoring and fighting is collateral.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 09:44:58 AM

Just left Early Access, officially released today.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Mordheim for the PC  
Jump to: