Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  (Read 62314 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #175 on: July 05, 2015, 05:50:50 PM

That was a whuppin.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #176 on: July 05, 2015, 05:52:52 PM

All too easy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #177 on: July 05, 2015, 05:55:14 PM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS   DRILLING AND MANLINESS   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #178 on: July 05, 2015, 07:34:51 PM

Finishing a hat trick with a goal from your own half is pretty fucking  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: July 05, 2015, 08:58:37 PM

That deserves some sort of 'worse loss since the Marianas Turkey shoot' joke.

Holy fuck that was some bad defending and keeping (3rd and 4th goals in particular). In a WC final?

Lastly, fuck off Wambach, this was Lloyd's team.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 05, 2015, 09:19:34 PM

Lastly, fuck off Wambach, this was Lloyd's team.

It's pretty clear it is her team, yeah, but I don't see what Wambach did that was so bad.  She came off the bench in the games that mattered, let the younger players carry the team and never complained about it.  Lloyd made a nice gesture to her as an outgoing veteran to wear the armband one last time. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #181 on: July 06, 2015, 05:18:41 AM

The game reminded me of the Germany vs. Brazil mens game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: July 06, 2015, 05:56:46 AM

Watched the first half in a room full of Japanese secretaries and lawyers- as the only American, I got a couple sidelong glares.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? 

Go US!  The only difference between the 2011 first half and this one is that the four balls that clanged on the bar then were an inch or two more accurate today. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #183 on: July 06, 2015, 06:03:45 AM

The game reminded me of the Germany vs. Brazil mens game.

That is exactly what I was telling my gf as we watched. I was ok with it.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #184 on: July 06, 2015, 12:59:31 PM

All soccer is women's soccer at this point. I mean that both as a compliment to the Women's World Cup and as a snide denigration of soccer as a sport generally.

The second part was just habit - insulting soccer - but I have to admit the women battle on the field more than the men. 

I have never played WoW.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #185 on: July 07, 2015, 05:01:55 AM

I cant watch mens games anymore, its just too painful.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #186 on: July 07, 2015, 08:18:04 AM

After the Germany game I thought the US was a little lucky to be in the final - but that was a complete whupping and they fully deserved it. So congrats to them, well done. Except for Wambach, she's still a bitch.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #187 on: September 13, 2015, 11:45:40 PM

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: September 14, 2015, 03:08:14 AM

I watched that game yesterday, that was a fantastic moment in a fantastic game. (Plus he's in my Fantasy Football team).

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #189 on: September 14, 2015, 08:31:22 AM

Damn.

Wish Liverpool had someone who could be that creative from the wing. I haven't seen a more lifeless performance from that team since they laid down for Stoke at the end of last season.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: September 14, 2015, 08:57:11 AM

Raheem Sterling?

Oh wait....  why so serious?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #191 on: September 14, 2015, 08:59:02 AM

Fuck him. If we need another blindingly fast winger to run down the channels before whizzing a shot over the bar or losing possession because he ran straight into 3 defenders, we'll call Lazer Markovic back from Fenerbache.  why so serious?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: September 14, 2015, 09:24:25 AM

United are suffering from similar problems, Depay isn't ready for the big leagues.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #193 on: September 14, 2015, 09:34:51 AM

I thought Depay looked good in the first half, but yeah, both sides have started playing REALLY BORING football. Oh look, another square ball. And another one. OOOPPSIE! Cross to the front quickly headed away by the five or six defenders camped in and around the box because they know you can't or won't be able to get in behind them.

Liverpool's 3 goals this season are all down to one player being brilliant for 30 seconds out of 90 minutes, or in the case of their 2nd game, being offside with a assistant ref who is functionally blind.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: September 14, 2015, 10:26:30 AM

Enough bitching! Instead lets sit back and enjoy the dumpster fire that is Chelsea this season.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: September 14, 2015, 11:34:51 AM

He's very like Sterling though he's fantastic until it comes to crunch where he makes a bad decision. I think it will come good for him though, just needs to work out his final pass. In his defense he's been double marked in most of the matches so far.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #196 on: September 14, 2015, 01:03:19 PM

Enough bitching! Instead lets sit back and enjoy the dumpster fire that is Chelsea this season.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I must admit to cackling maniacally when I saw that scoreline. Fuck The Special One in his Special Blowhole.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: September 14, 2015, 04:33:20 PM

His excuse was great, "our tactics computer had issues".

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: September 14, 2015, 05:27:28 PM

I must admit to cackling maniacally when I saw that scoreline. Fuck The Special One in his Special Blowhole.

I dislike the arsehole too but if it's true about his dad is dying I don't know how anyone could concentrate on their job let alone managing a top flight soccer club.

Can we have a mod split this into a Soccer 2015/2016 thread.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: October 10, 2015, 09:10:23 PM

Jermaine Jones is useless.

WayAbvPar

Reply #200 on: October 10, 2015, 09:44:22 PM

Jermaine Jones is useless.

And the back four is porous. Sigh.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: October 11, 2015, 09:47:17 AM

Cameron was ok I thought, Besler has always been mediocre. Beasley showed some life in the attack but the 2nd goal was directly from him being out of position and Jones not tracking back...AGAIN. I'm a revs fan and fuck Jermaine Jones, and fuck him and his stupid sliding tackles when they are losing and his overdribbling EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. the ball is passed to him (followed by a loss of possession). Really Jurgen? This is what we get? How many years now and the best you can come up with is Jermaine Jones playing a wide midfield , a guy who usually plays  CB for his club nowadays? Seriously fuck you. No wonder the second goal game from the other wing, they actually looked like they would try to pass (and shit just give Bobby Jones the ball all the man does is score when its late and tight).

The last goal was  a tad unlucky and a fucking nice strike by Mexico, but again it was on Beasley and Jones side.

Has US soccer actually improved under Klinsmann? I'm wondering.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #202 on: October 11, 2015, 10:30:05 AM

US Soccer has not improved under Klinsman. As much of a douche as he was, at least Landon Donovan could be relied upon to score or create chances. I haven't seen anyone consistently able to take up that mantle since before the World Cup.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:17 AM

I don't think a new coach is going to suddenly fix all our issues, but it's definitely time for Klinsmann to go.  He's had his chance, time to move on.

most often known as Drevik
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #204 on: October 15, 2015, 11:29:22 AM

I'm pretty sure Klinsmann was doomed to fail anyway, simply because US Soccer has its head up its ass from the get go. The MLS, as well as its done, is basically locking itself into being an also-ran league that is filled with 1) young guys that will never get above MLS level, 2) old guys from better leagues kicking the shit out of the lesser talent before they retire or 3) guys getting a cup of coffee before going on to better leagues in Europe. It won't consider relegation, it's ties with the other soccer leagues are tenuous and its insistence on control over all player contracts means parity but also lack of consistent dynasties. Also, the skill level at MLS is wildly inconsistent from team to team and year to year.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: October 15, 2015, 01:42:51 PM

The greater crime may be the U23 team losing to Honduras and making Olympic qualifying almost impossible. There is some thought that missing the Confederations Cup is not a bad thing.

It wasn't that they lost the game, it's HOW they lost the game. The soccer looked like crap, half the players looked like crap. Jones, Beasley and Dempsey should never play another meaningful game for the USMNT. They desperately need players in the midfield who can hold onto the ball and create chances. The US simply does not seem to create these type of players.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #206 on: October 15, 2015, 02:08:17 PM

It wasn't that they lost the game, it's HOW they lost the game. The soccer looked like crap, half the players looked like crap.

With the exception of Howard's game against Belgium, this statement could have been made about any USMNT game from the 2014 World Cup. They have made no progress from that point at all.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  
Jump to: