Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: O Captain, my captain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: O Captain, my captain  (Read 43496 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

Almost certainly.

Also, he had quite a bit of bad news to take in at the time.

(Also, Brian Limond is insane.  I had the pleasure of speaking to one of his co-workers at the web development firm they worked in.  His stories were illuminating.  Funny chaps tho.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #176 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:57 AM

I will speculate that Robin saw Parkinson's as something that would end his ability to do the one thing that kept him from descending into an inescapable emotional pit for his entire life.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: August 21, 2014, 07:13:14 AM

The best therapy isn't going to work for everyone. The problem always with mental illnesses is that they're wound around and in our sense of self the same way a tumor is growing in your own flesh, using your own genes. Sometimes you can take it out, sometimes you can shrink it to manageability, and sometimes it's somewhere so deep that there isn't much to be done about it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #178 on: August 21, 2014, 07:29:39 AM

It's the same thing that Michael J. Fox has, no?  He's working hard for research and ways to keep a lot of the symptoms at bay and he's had it for ages.  I wish Robin Williams could have stuck it out a wee bit longer.  It was caught early and you never know what can happen.  I swear this must be a disease that attacks nice people with kind faces.  This whole thing keeps making me want to cry in my soup.  :(

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: August 21, 2014, 07:40:03 AM

Alas hon, it ain't rational.

When Pratchett goes, it might be rational.  This ?  Not so much.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: August 21, 2014, 07:51:45 AM

Pratchett has already spoken quite a lot about how he is at peace with the notion of euthanasia I think?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:03 AM

Exactly my point.  For him, if it's necessary, it'll be a rational choice which I'll just raise a glass to.

Just in case anyone's ready to point out hypocrisy on my part.   why so serious?

(I used 'might' because he still has time to get hit by a bus or some shit.)

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #182 on: August 21, 2014, 08:40:59 AM

Since it's Alzheimer's you would have to make those sorts of plans in advance, I suppose, because if you wait too long, you'll just forget.  I can understand that much more because you'd be able to discuss it with family and friends and they could be prepared and supportive.  You're not going to shock anyone or, in the case of young children, teach them that suicide is an acceptable way to deal with depression or any other sort of problem.  I mean, srsly, how many teenagers have a major life changing crisis?  Err... like every day?  Having said that, why on earth would Robin Williams kill himself the way he did?  Hanging?  Why not OD or anything less horrifying?  Why leave that image in the minds of his family?  That bit, I don't get. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #183 on: August 21, 2014, 09:11:28 AM

The old adage is that Men go violently, women use pills.  Hanging is the less violent way of killing oneself that comes to men. I imagine not wanting to be seen has 'just having relapsed and fucked up' and not "ultimately having let the pills win" might also have been part of the decision for a former addict such as Mr. Williams.

Since it's Alzheimer's you would have to make those sorts of plans in advance, I suppose, because if you wait too long, you'll just forget.

There was a story not too long ago on NPR morning edition about just this. The mother had made plans and discussed for a long time, and finally, one weekend after a particularly bad 'i don't know who the fuck I am' bout decided the time had come.  It was terrifying and touching at the same moment.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: August 21, 2014, 09:12:39 AM

Having said that, why on earth would Robin Williams kill himself the way he did?  Hanging?  Why not OD or anything less horrifying?  Why leave that image in the minds of his family?  That bit, I don't get. 

Fairly sure I answered that one.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #185 on: August 21, 2014, 09:16:05 AM

You did.  Sorry.  I think I might have just ranted or summat.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: August 21, 2014, 03:32:32 PM

...Ricky Gervais ...

.... is an unfunny cunt.

Just needs to be repeated..

Hic sunt dracones.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #187 on: August 21, 2014, 06:58:24 PM

He is too funny and he's a sweet old cunt. 

What happened to you, Sir T?  You used to be so sweet and shy and giggly! 

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: August 22, 2014, 06:44:10 PM

It's the same thing that Michael J. Fox has, no?  He's working hard for research and ways to keep a lot of the symptoms at bay and he's had it for ages.  I wish Robin Williams could have stuck it out a wee bit longer.  It was caught early and you never know what can happen.  I swear this must be a disease that attacks nice people with kind faces.  This whole thing keeps making me want to cry in my soup.  :(

You know, when the Parkinson's thing came out right after his suicide Michael J. Fox is the first person I thought of. I can just see him going "God damn it Robin."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: August 23, 2014, 02:02:08 AM

He is too funny and he's a sweet old cunt. 

What happened to you, Sir T?  You used to be so sweet and shy and giggly! 

The hatred that Schild has for me has obviously tarnished my soul :(

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: O Captain, my captain  
Jump to: