Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 90391 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #210 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:12 PM

I'm seriously considering getting a crew together to build a Doof Wagon for Burning Man next year.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: May 24, 2015, 10:26:46 PM

Only if you run over hippies and assault them with the power of metal.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #212 on: May 24, 2015, 10:52:00 PM

I do that as a matter of course.

We've already had a Thunderdome.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: May 25, 2015, 04:27:06 PM

Trying to breakdown for myself why this movie works so well.

I think it's partly how well-imagined road combat is in the film--the specific tactics, the lingo, the design. It breaks down a bit when you think about it--these different warlord states fight each other enough to have practiced such maneuvers and vehicle designs? But Millar even tries to gesture towards a kind of crude political economy behind the action, like he did in Thunderdome and Road Warrior, and it's all glorious because it's done in whisper-thin gestures and single lines of dialogue, not in exposition dumps.

The design. Holy fuck, the design work. Here, there, everywhere, at every moment.

But the design and visual brilliance is not, George Lucas-style, at the expense of characterization and narrative energy. I expected from what people were saying that there would be no dialogue, no story, no real characters. There was dialogue, story, real characters. Stakes to care about. Full lives sketched out with a few sumi-brush strokes.

Also, almost the best action choreography ever, maybe. It makes the Road Warrior look like a kind of dress rehearsal, but the kinetic beauty of it compares pretty favorably to the best martial arts, the best war movies, you name it.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: May 26, 2015, 10:05:59 AM

To me, the movie made mostly perfect sense, it was just an over-the-top sensibility.  Death metal warmachines make sense; you use drums and noise in battle.  A harem of the finest women makes sense; people do this still today for pleasure and to breed strong families.  The warboy quasi-nazi colonel cult following? (note how pasty white they all were btw; that was on purpose)  Makes sense.  Even the tactical and strategic elements of Furiosa's plan make pretty perfect sense, culminating in the final realization. 

The action choreography...  the one scene with Max initially rolling up on the WarRig was one of my favorite fight-action scenes ever.  It was effing brilliant, the whole thing...  and it went on a good while.  So visceral, so "survival is paramount."  Yet beautiful in some places.  There was no music during much of that sequence if I recall.  I struggle to find a better one that was man vs. woman.  Oddly, the last time I was that into Theron was when she was face-down on the bed for Tobey McGuire.  awesome, for real

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #215 on: May 26, 2015, 10:56:33 AM

Yeah, when you just count lines of dialogue, it seems like there's no story. But when you count up story points, it's got at least as many as any action film, more than most. The redemption of the war boy, Furiosa's quest, Max's Hero's Journey, all the beats are there with only the elegant bare minimum of notes, yet never seeming rushed.

And in spite of the complexity of the fight scenes (hand to hand or vehicles), there's never a moment where you lose track of the action, feel like it's just a random flail.

Yeah, you could write all of the dialog on a napkin with room to spare. And it works, there's not a single place you can say 'they really need another line here'.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: May 26, 2015, 12:49:23 PM

This is what excellent action directing feels like. As wild as the scenes seem, they're all obviously meticulously planned and staged in long-form storyboarding. CG and shaky-cam have made a lot of directors lazy about this, acting like they can create a sensible continuity in editing or post production. Doing things the "old" way shows:

Cuts that include pieces of characters, vehicles, or scenery from the previous shot.
Giving a specific character or vehicle a dedicated side (or corner) of the screen for the duration of a fight.
Following a movement all the way to its completion rather than breaking to another shot part way through.

Basically all of the rules of cinema writ small. Each fight is a visual story made of smaller visual stories. Every stunt is a story. At that point, dialogue is practically unnecessary. If we're given the space to witness and understand them, actions - from a furrowed brow to mass-murder - speak louder than words.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #217 on: May 26, 2015, 12:51:49 PM

I think the fact that most of the effects were practical effects meant that the director is forced to plan those shots meticulously. If you don't know where every piece of machinery is going to be, somebody's going to get hurt.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: May 26, 2015, 01:57:08 PM

It really just shows how much the cinematography of modern action is a bunch of cheap-shit hackwork. "I don't have time to actually plan this fucking scene, so let's blow some shit up and shaky-cam it, post-process CGI where necessary."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: May 26, 2015, 05:24:57 PM

Check out page 1 and 2 of this thread, by the way. You all know who you are.
WayAbvPar

Reply #220 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:01 PM

Darkwind is the closest thing to Car Wars I have ever seen. It is flawed, but it definitely scratches that itch.

I am in the minority- I wasn't terribly excited by the trailer. I may be officially too old for big budget action sequences. There was no substance to it- just lots of explosions. Meh.

Hey look, I nailed it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: May 26, 2015, 07:02:38 PM

It was not pg-13 therefore my earlier worries were unfounded.  I have no shame though, the pg-13 curse has burned me with several movies.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #222 on: May 27, 2015, 01:00:50 AM

Miller is such a crazy fuck. He actually thinks the whole trilogy is better desaturated to black and white and wants that as a Blu-Ray extra.  Someone did it to the trailer and it is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5s62tpM5fo

After thinking about it for a while after seeing it, Holt is definitely the secret MVP of the flick.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: May 27, 2015, 01:22:18 AM

I stand by what I said.  Happy Feet was a brutal and chilling movie.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: May 27, 2015, 01:30:55 AM

It's George Miller. It will be late, over-budget, and bug-fuck crazy with a 50/50 chance of being awesome or stupid.

Magic 8-Ball says....... Awesome.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #225 on: May 27, 2015, 09:49:52 AM

Miller is such a crazy fuck. He actually thinks the whole trilogy is better desaturated to black and white and wants that as a Blu-Ray extra.  Someone did it to the trailer and it is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5s62tpM5fo

He's not wrong. Hell, the movie was practically duotone most of the way.

As for my predictions of page 1 and 2 - they were mostly "Fuck yeah" and "I cannot possibly be more erect."

I was right on the first one and wrong on the second.  why so serious?

EDIT: Also, this is a good summary of how good this movie is by Chuck Wendig.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:53:45 AM by HaemishM »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:11 AM

Giving a specific character or vehicle a dedicated side (or corner) of the screen for the duration of a fight.

I was clapping and grinning because of this during the warrig vs. warboy anti-spike gusoline spitrace.  

edit: a lot of this movie has so much depth I sometimes wonder if it was just accidental or Miller had really planned it out that way.  

I've gotta drive cross-country again and I'm literally canvassing the country looking for the best theatre to see it again in, but sadly now it's gotta fight Ultron and Tomorrowland for theatre-space.  Something tells me that ship has sailed and we'll have to wait for the cult following and re-release.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:37:14 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: May 27, 2015, 07:58:02 PM

Heh, check the Q&A and reviews:

Silver Color Mist food coloring

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #228 on: May 27, 2015, 08:41:22 PM

Win.  awesome, for real

Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: May 28, 2015, 03:24:49 AM

Gah, that was a serious case of the giggles for me.  The comments are way too much fun when I'm this sleep-dep'd
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: May 28, 2015, 11:53:05 AM

<edit> Unborked it for you
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:02:08 PM by rattran »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: May 28, 2015, 03:57:37 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #232 on: May 28, 2015, 09:11:08 PM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: May 28, 2015, 10:05:38 PM

Dibs!

-H.L. Mencken
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: May 29, 2015, 05:09:03 AM

Finally got to see this yesterday (visiting the folks and no one else around was interested).

Probably going to be one of my favourite movies of all time. I didn't think it would be better than Mad Max 2: Road Warrior. And yet it was. In every conceivable way. For once, I can say I've seen a film where every cent of every dollar of the $150,000,000 it cost is right there, on screen. Being blown the fuck up. And then run over.

I love the fact that Hardy plays Max akin to a hyper-violent Charlie Chaplin-esque physical act who revels in the near total silence of his survivalist stoicism. I love that the film is really and totally about Furiosa, and how much of a fucking badass and a natural leader she is. Theron is incredible. I need more of her, and I need more parts like hers and actors like her to make cinema and story telling a better experience. I love that Nux even exists (Nicholas Hoult clearly not content with being the best thing about the X-men reboot). WITNESS! I love that the music beats are represented on screen. I love that I can literally see Brendan McCarthy's concept art come to life, and that he shared the script with Miller. I love that Miller has somehow made this impossible, brilliant movie after spending 20 years faffing with CG penguins and a pig. I love that I realised the guy that played Toe Cutter from the very first Mad Max is playing Immortan Joe. Fuck I love this movie.

Chrome. As. Fuck.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:15:23 AM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: May 30, 2015, 12:21:20 AM

Word of mouth is starting to pay off for this. Tues-Thurs it jumped over Pitch Perfect 2 in the daily box office which is unusual.  It might be the #2 movie this weekend.

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: May 30, 2015, 05:25:23 PM

I think we're going again this week before it leaves theaters with big screens. It's just a great experience. I didn't leave it with a single "I would have done that differently" or "The studio must have demanded that". It feels like something that just completely evaded a bunch of defensive systems to hit the exhaust port on the Death Star.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: May 31, 2015, 04:42:31 PM

Just got out of seeing this.  My favorite quote was when we were leaving the theater and my friend goes "I have no idea what I just watched but it was awesome".

If was everything I expected and loads of fun, my other friend and I were just giddy the whole movie.  It was definitely much more entertaining seeing it in a theater than at home.

That being said, I really want to play Borderlands 2 again.......
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: May 31, 2015, 06:39:27 PM

Word of mouth is starting to pay off for this. Tues-Thurs it jumped over Pitch Perfect 2 in the daily box office which is unusual.  It might be the #2 movie this weekend.

Dropped to 4th behind Tomorrowland and Pitch Perfect 2, with San Andreas cleaning house this weekend.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #239 on: May 31, 2015, 06:53:47 PM

Pitch Perfect 2, Tomorrowland, and Mad Max are all pretty close with less than a million separating them in the estimates. All things considered, Mad Max is holding pretty well.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: May 31, 2015, 07:04:49 PM

Ya, MM had a lower percentage drop than the others who are hanging around.

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: May 31, 2015, 07:08:18 PM

Not really much you can do against the Rock anyway.   awesome, for real
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: June 01, 2015, 07:25:54 AM

It's crazy how much money his movies have made.  His early comedy/family movies didn't work at all.  Embracing what made him famous in the WWE, his physicality and charm, and doing more action type roles was the best decision he ever made.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: June 01, 2015, 07:34:53 AM

"What a spray, what a lovely spray!" Thumbs up!
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: June 01, 2015, 08:20:41 AM

It's crazy how much money his movies have made.  His early comedy/family movies didn't work at all.  Embracing what made him famous in the WWE, his physicality and charm, and doing more action type roles was the best decision he ever made.

He's always done that. But just like any actor, you make enough movies, and some of them are going to be clunkers. Hell, his first movies were action movies.

beer geek.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  
Jump to: