Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Last Ship 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last Ship  (Read 6518 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: July 14, 2014, 06:30:46 AM

Rhona Mitra's boobs, Adam Baldwin, and:

'MERICA!!!!!  [insert overtly patriotic emoticon here]

I want to like this, the premise is a slight improvement over zombie apocalypse, but man does it lay it on thick. Also, moronic scenes like captain saving the day by preventing a fuse from blowing by holding it in place. Yes, he stopped a fuse from being overloaded by holding on to it real hard.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:53:58 AM

Having Wiki'd myself up :  No Thanks.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:03 AM

Michael Bay. That was all you needed to tell me.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:56:35 AM

The promos cracked me up.  "blah blah blah blah by Michael Bay" and then seconds before the commercial ends "BOOM".   I think that might be TNT's new show catch line, but in a Michael Bay context, it was hilarious.

-Rasix
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:12:22 PM

Michael Bay. That was all you needed to tell me.

This.  It actually wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't all Michael Bay'd up.

Over and out.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:39:50 PM

My problems with this were all related to reality issues getting in the way.

Where do they get parts. Where do they get fuel. Where do they get replacement crew for the crew that gets killed off.

It's also damn near to Voyager writ Zombieapocalypse and I hated Voyager.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 01:44:14 PM

Where do they get parts. Where do they get fuel. Where do they get replacement crew for the crew that gets killed off.

Huh?  They immediately start worrying about fuel and shit.  First few episodes are driven by where they go to get supplies and stuff.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:01:02 PM

Having seen the first few episodes, it is quite a bit better than I'd expect a Bay series to be.  Far, far better - in fact.

Nearly mediocre.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 02:40:59 PM

Cheesefest. Almost amusing because of it but not quite.

The wife was watching this, I saw a black crewmember, and I said, "Well, we know which is going to be the first person to die". It's that predictable.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 03:40:03 PM

I'm going to spoil things about the first three episode and will do you all a favour and not use spoiler tags:

episode 1: black guy dies

episode 2: Muslims turn down generous offer of peace from 'mericans, and act all terroristy cause well, they terrorist. Oh, and 'merica don't negotiate with terrorists.

episode 3: Megalomaniacal Russian war vet is megalomaniacal. And gets fooled by a roll of tinfoil.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:37 AM

I watched three whole episodes.  I wanted to like it.  I started to watch the fourth and just couldn't do it.  I hope it gets the boot soon to free up Adam Baldwin for something better.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 03:08:07 PM

I watched three whole episodes.  I wanted to like it.  I started to watch the fourth and just couldn't do it.  I hope it gets the boot soon to free up Adam Baldwin for something better.

Has he even done anything since Chuck?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 03:11:25 PM

I've been digging it until last night when the writers made the Captain stupid as fuck. "Hmm save the world or stop a girl from getting her cherry popped.  'MERICA!"

At least drop off the precious cargo and go back, you know, ARMED.  

I'm teetering on quitting.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:15:12 PM

Has he even done anything since Chuck?
Not really - a few guest stints and some DC voicework.  However, like Bruce Campbell, he has the potential to give a certain something special to certain types of characters that often fall really flat on TV.  I'd love to see him get a fun role again. 

And, yeah, this is mostly clinging to faint memories of days of Firefly past...

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 03:15:58 PM

He's not kicking it yet in this show. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:03 AM

Huh?  They immediately start worrying about fuel and shit.  First few episodes are driven by where they go to get supplies and stuff.

See, that would have required me to watch a single episode, much less several.  These were immediate thoughts as the hype train tried to make this a thing, not results from watching.  I couldn't be bothered to waste my time, which appears to have been a good thing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:55 PM

I watched the first couple cause Rhona Mitra is an athletic Kate Beckinsale. I took the free hulu week and decided to gorge myself on this because my son loves him some boats.

By the 3rd episode and after watching battleship I'm pretty convinced the navy has a stipulation, "You say at some point, 'This is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer!'"

I'll give it a few more episodes, I mean they got a 2nd season, it can't be all bad.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 12:31:17 AM

I'm enjoying this. I'm in season 3.

It's ridiculous, but it's written and acted well enough to be a mindless escape from reality with some nice twists. The "'MERICA!!!!!" is there, but it's FAR from overdone. It's a post-apocalyptic series where they promote more black people than they kill (though they do tend to chew through Chinese people). They even added an Australian martial arts guru.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 12:41:45 AM

I like how they keep upping the ridiculousness as the show goes on: before it was the captain of the destroyer going all gung-ho on missions and shooting people with ARs, now he's been promoted to be the secretary of defense but the rambo-stuff just keeps getting more over the top.  why so serious?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 12:57:02 AM

There's only ~1 billion people left on the planet and the entire US fleet leaving Okinawa consisted of 2 or 3 ships, so management has to cover the holes in the roster :)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 04:37:33 AM

I haven't started S3 yet, but will just chime in that I like this show much more than expected.  Not sure how much Michael Bay is actually involved, but this seems like the kind of thing he should be doing.  As Tale says, the rah rah USA is definitely in there, but considering the context it works just fine.

I very definitely did NOT LIKE it when  last season.  I mean, the fuck?  Why would you ever do that?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 06:53:32 AM

There's only ~1 billion people left on the planet and the entire US fleet leaving Okinawa consisted of 2 or 3 ships, so management has to cover the holes in the roster :)

That said with that few people left in the navy nathan should god damn well know better than to go ashore and do his rambo shit. There is almost nobody left alive with his experience to replace him. They simply cannot afford to let him do that shit and him just ramboing it and doing it anyway is negligent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 08:30:08 AM

I haven't started S3 yet, but will just chime in that I like this show much more than expected.  Not sure how much Michael Bay is actually involved, but this seems like the kind of thing he should be doing.  As Tale says, the rah rah USA is definitely in there, but considering the context it works just fine.

I very definitely did NOT LIKE it when  last season.  I mean, the fuck?  Why would you ever do that?

Dude, if you didn't like that, it gets worse.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 01:52:32 PM

S1 & S2 were fantastic. S3 is crappy and generic and you don't even need the disease premise because 'murica.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 10:49:45 PM

S1 & S2 were fantastic. S3 is crappy and generic and you don't even need the disease premise because 'murica.

S3 is different. But I don't hate it. Sideways glances hint there is something wrong with 'murica, some kind of underlying plot, that is happening alongside the action in China.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Last Ship  
Jump to: