Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:04:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam summer sale 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam summer sale 2014  (Read 95945 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: June 22, 2014, 09:46:54 PM

Barring a sudden comeback, it looks like my team, Team Pink, will win today by quite a large margin.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #141 on: June 22, 2014, 10:19:44 PM

It's really weird how much the scores have diverged from day to day.  I wonder if there's a snowball effect where a bunch of people on a team see that they're doing well and that inspires them to buy more shit.  But if that's true then does everyone on the other teams buy LESS on those days and does it work out to more or fewer sales overall?

Also, I should have shorted my cards.  They were at $0.50 a few days ago and they're closer to $0.25 now.  Gonna cash out now.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Xilren's Twin

Reply #142 on: June 23, 2014, 08:02:19 AM

I eventually pulled the trigger on Divinity OS and I'm glad I did, both because it's coming out in a week "for real" and because I really like it so far. I don't think I'm going to for Wasteland because I'll play it now and I want it to be as ready as it's going to be before I do play it.

Divinity OS and WL 2.  My only 2 purchases thus far. What a weird sale.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 23, 2014, 09:58:52 AM

I'm waiting for the Talisman Season pass to get better than 43%. Not sure if it will, since a ton of it is still unreleased, but there's no chance in hell I'll be paying $60 for it.

I bought the Talisman basic set for 63% off (what a weird discount). I want to see if I like the basic game before plunging into any of the expansions.

I played a few rounds against the AI, and I think they did it right. One nice thing about the digital edition is that the computer keeps track of all the bookkeeping. Including alignment-related stuff; if you draw Mephistopheles, and he turns you Evil, the game just drops your Holy Lance card on the ground. You don't have to remember to do it, like you would in the desktop game.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #144 on: June 23, 2014, 10:06:53 AM

Well, at least this day has two games I actually wanted to get (and were cheap enough).  Cross Rogue Legacy and FTL off the list.  Looks like my theme this year is cheap indie games.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:32:27 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 23, 2014, 11:05:08 AM

This is the worst summer sale ever. I haven't seen a single game that I want. Any other year I'd have bought 3 or 4 games by now.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #146 on: June 23, 2014, 12:14:22 PM

C'mon Steam: Arma 3 75%, not only 50% :(

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:33 PM

It's really weird how much the scores have diverged from day to day.  I wonder if there's a snowball effect where a bunch of people on a team see that they're doing well and that inspires them to buy more shit.  But if that's true then does everyone on the other teams buy LESS on those days and does it work out to more or fewer sales overall?

Also, I should have shorted my cards.  They were at $0.50 a few days ago and they're closer to $0.25 now.  Gonna cash out now.

I think the game is rigged - at least the first round (of 5 days).  Each team is going to get a win, and it wasn't even like there was a stacking loser's bonus in play since it has been a single team running away each day.  The way the contest is set up, the first team to win should have had even greater advantages on the next day (with bonus cards and games to passively generate even more cards).  If the teams have 1M 'players' each, not unreasonable given the nearly 8M users peak for the day, then individual decisions and even awareness of the current score is going to wash out.  We'd have to know about the distribution of users as well, since the industrial users at Steam Level 100 are much more active than anyone in my steam user level neighborhood. 

At least they converted the summer cards into a commodity market so you don't end up digging through 5 pages of results to try to buy a card.  A lot of money was left on the table last winter with the store frustratingly unviable for much of the event - and there were thousands of each card left in the market when they all went poof.  Only took 3 years to get that worked out.  Cards will probably drop to $0.14 again before the end, so if you are willing to wait until the last minute your money will go further.  I've stopped selling my new cards since the price dropped under a quarter and I don't really feel like doing a bunch of work to save $0.05 for me and make $0.06 for Valve on the sell-now-buy-later cycle.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: June 23, 2014, 03:12:32 PM

Did the prices go up at the end of the last sale?
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 23, 2014, 04:09:23 PM

As I remember, prices continued to drop through the end, because the cards disappear at the end of the event. 

The problem was that you couldn't buy the cards on the market because a million people were trying to buy the lowest price card at all times.  So the market effectively shut several hours prior to the end of the event and all that inventory was locked up in the system.  Sure, people continued to buy and sell right up to the end but many more people hit the Nth "Item no longer exists" message and gave up. That pushed prices through the floor as the lowest priced items were getting chewed off the bottom of the queue and everything else was behind a wall of already sold listings.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: June 23, 2014, 04:13:53 PM

C'mon Steam: Arma 3 75%, not only 50% :(

I went ahead and bit anyway.  That's as low as I can remember ever seeing it.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #151 on: June 23, 2014, 04:27:09 PM

This is the worst summer sale ever. I haven't seen a single game that I want. Any other year I'd have bought 3 or 4 games by now.

I think I've bought at least a dozen games by now.  Most of them are things I already own (just snapping up cheap gift copies), but still.  What games are you still waiting on to make an appearance?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rasix

Reply #152 on: June 23, 2014, 04:32:06 PM

There's actually been a fair amount I'd like to get.  I'm just being super cheap. I can wait until Christmas with the huge backlog of games I have and the Dwarf Fortress update coming out soon.

There's a few things I've been waiting to go to 75% off, but at most I'll end up saving $5.   awesome, for real

Banished, Walking Dead Season 2, A Wolf Among Us, etc will all get picked up in the Winter sale.  Also, there's still a lot of games that just aren't done yet.  I'm still not really into this whole early access thing.  I'll likely cave the last few days of the sale and buy something I previously was not going to. It always happens.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:35:43 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #153 on: June 23, 2014, 04:46:58 PM

I bought something called Betrayer, which looks like complete Myst jank with some arrow shooting. Still, I liked what I read and it was $4.

Bought Payday 2 as well for the co-op with a buddy. The problem is he has way more free time so he can level his thug was faster than I can.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 23, 2014, 05:10:39 PM

I've spent a good $30 so far.  Skyriim: LE, KoA + dlc, Papers please, Shadowrun + dlc, and master reboot (dunno, looked interesting).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #155 on: June 23, 2014, 06:43:23 PM

Gone Home and Spec Ops: The Line are both on flash sale right now.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 24, 2014, 04:50:46 AM

It's really weird how much the scores have diverged from day to day.  I wonder if there's a snowball effect where a bunch of people on a team see that they're doing well and that inspires them to buy more shit.  But if that's true then does everyone on the other teams buy LESS on those days and does it work out to more or fewer sales overall?

Also, I should have shorted my cards.  They were at $0.50 a few days ago and they're closer to $0.25 now.  Gonna cash out now.

I think the game is rigged - at least the first round (of 5 days).  Each team is going to get a win, and it wasn't even like there was a stacking loser's bonus in play since it has been a single team running away each day.  The way the contest is set up, the first team to win should have had even greater advantages on the next day (with bonus cards and games to passively generate even more cards).  If the teams have 1M 'players' each, not unreasonable given the nearly 8M users peak for the day, then individual decisions and even awareness of the current score is going to wash out.  We'd have to know about the distribution of users as well, since the industrial users at Steam Level 100 are much more active than anyone in my steam user level neighborhood.  

It seems to be rigged, kind of, but not by Valve:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/summeradventure2014/discussions/0/522730700586042336/

So far it seems to have gone as planned, my team is winning today as scheduled :)

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: June 24, 2014, 06:12:37 AM

It seems to be rigged, kind of, but not by Valve:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/summeradventure2014/discussions/0/522730700586042336/

So far it seems to have gone as planned, my team is winning today as scheduled :)

I wish I could say I'm shocked by how many people seem to actually believe that post.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #158 on: June 24, 2014, 06:16:58 AM

I got the:

- Xcom Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within package for 9€
- Shadowrun Dragonfall for 6€
- The Year Walk for 2€

And missed the flash sale for Spec Ops the Line for a few minutes. Which sucks.
But overall, I am very happy with my purchases.

I am still eyeing Talisman, State of Decay, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, Journal, Consortium, Science Girls, Cinders, 100% Orange Juice, Paper Sorcerer, Dream, and The Novelist.

I don't know, I am pretty happy with the sale so far.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: June 24, 2014, 06:51:35 AM

I'm hoping 100% OJ goes on flash sale at some point.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #160 on: June 24, 2014, 07:23:15 AM

I bought Game Developer Tycoon based on the user reviews.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35:07 AM

I bought Game Developer Tycoon based on the user reviews.

Is it fun?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #162 on: June 24, 2014, 07:39:58 AM

I'd defer to Sjofn on that, I haven't played it yet, but on my friends list it says she had like 20+ hours in it or something.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: June 24, 2014, 09:22:45 AM

I think I've bought at least a dozen games by now.  Most of them are things I already own (just snapping up cheap gift copies), but still.  What games are you still waiting on to make an appearance?

Well nothing really. Usually I pick up a few games because they look interesting and are cheap.  Nothing is appealing to me this year. Heh, it's probably more my problem than the sales'.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #164 on: June 24, 2014, 10:12:19 AM

Hmmm.

Blackguards, Brothers and Metro: Last Light all look like possibilities for me today.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 24, 2014, 10:16:44 AM

Blaggards seems like a thing to play. Anyone know how long and involved it is?
Rasix

Reply #166 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:28 AM

Getting all the DLC for New Vegas and Blackguards are both tempting.  I'd like to get Kentucky Route Zero, but it's not done yet.  Ohhhhh, I see.  

edit: apparently I already own the New Vegas ultimate edition.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:27:23 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:50 AM

Murdered Soul Suspect 33% off weeks after release.. Should be $3.50 by next sale.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 24, 2014, 11:08:00 AM

Blaggards seems like a thing to play. Anyone know how long and involved it is?
~40 hours, and it's pretty fun; most of the battle maps are interesting with a lot of them having unique mechanics. Ending is a bit rushed, though...

Rasix

Reply #169 on: June 24, 2014, 11:15:02 AM

Apparently my Steam is a liar, I don't have any of the DLC for New Vegas.  Are any of the DLC really worth playing through, however?

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #170 on: June 24, 2014, 11:25:10 AM

Uninspired sale is uninspiring. 

Green team won, so I started thinking about the contest numbers.  In January, Steam said they had 75million accounts.  Using that as a baseline, any single person has a 1 in 500,000 chance of receiving the top 3 games on their wishlist. That's if the stupid token things aren't used by teams to game the numbers. 

One in a half million gets three games.  Make sure to put your highest ticket items up top, I guess.

You have to click a button to be put on a team, and then you also have to have actually crafted a badge or whatever on the actual day your team wins, so the odds are some amount better than that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #171 on: June 24, 2014, 11:32:53 AM

Wow I totally don't care about any of this shit.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: June 24, 2014, 11:56:13 AM

Apparently my Steam is a liar, I don't have any of the DLC for New Vegas.  Are any of the DLC really worth playing through, however?
Dead Money is awful, the other 3 are good.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #173 on: June 24, 2014, 12:38:08 PM

Age of Wonders 3? Does it suck?

Seems pretty discounted for a game that released recently.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: June 24, 2014, 12:48:17 PM

Wow I totally don't care about any of this shit.
Get rid of "Usefully Cynical Commentary," f13 has a new slogan.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam summer sale 2014  
Jump to: