Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wilmington NC or Columbis SC (moving) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilmington NC or Columbis SC (moving)  (Read 13394 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 04:57:32 AM

Wow it's Roac.  That must be an f13 record for largest time gap between posts.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 10:13:36 AM

2 weeks in and I love it.  Again, I am way up in NrE side of Cola, so ymmv. 

Large part is definitely job satisfaction.  People are super friendly and looking forward to getting the fam down there.

Anyhow, lets be real.  I am with the haves currently, so my view is way distorted.  Looking forward to my first lake adventure.  :)

Downsides: miserably hot summers, Tea Party / religious doofuses, and not much in the city itself.

Upsides: Some exceptions to the last one.  The zoo is a real gem, and there are a couple decent museums.  Lake Murray is always a treat.  Also, decent access to places you do want to visit - ~2 hours from beach or mountains.

If you're in Blythewood, pick a Baptist church you "attend".  Even if you don't.  Also, nod when people say Obama is the debbil, no matter what you think.  They may stop being friendly.  If by NE you mean more like Spring Valley, it won't matter....much.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 12:51:15 PM

Woah!  I didn't even notice it was him.

Hey there!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:47 PM

2 weeks in and I love it.  Again, I am way up in NrE side of Cola, so ymmv. 

Large part is definitely job satisfaction.  People are super friendly and looking forward to getting the fam down there.

Anyhow, lets be real.  I am with the haves currently, so my view is way distorted.  Looking forward to my first lake adventure.  :)

Downsides: miserably hot summers, Tea Party / religious doofuses, and not much in the city itself.

Upsides: Some exceptions to the last one.  The zoo is a real gem, and there are a couple decent museums.  Lake Murray is always a treat.  Also, decent access to places you do want to visit - ~2 hours from beach or mountains.

If you're in Blythewood, pick a Baptist church you "attend".  Even if you don't.  Also, nod when people say Obama is the debbil, no matter what you think.  They may stop being friendly.  If by NE you mean more like Spring Valley, it won't matter....much.

Blythewood or Irmo.  Possibly Lexington, if the place is perfect and on water.  I am pushing hard for Blythewood, but its a group decision.

My mother is very religious (in a good way) and does all the churchy stuff.  We are used to redneck assholes; wifes family has plenty.  Upside, plenty of beers, bbq, and cornhole.  Downside, nodding my head to drunk BaRAK Obahma rants.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Lexington is odd. There's a 14Carrots (natural foods store) where I've repeatedly been subjected to the 'BaRAK HUSSEIN! Obahma' rants by fellow customers.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:16 PM

Wow it's Roac.  That must be an f13 record for largest time gap between posts.

Does it come with a leg lamp? 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 09:52:39 PM

I'm in Irmo.  I prefer it; it's the least redneck of the three, and is built up enough for my taste. Plenty of places close to I-26 make for an easy drive anywhere.  There's a rec center, state forest, and river nearby.

Blythewood is, imo, very isolated.  Brother in-law lives there, and I feel like I'm driving off the Earth at every visit.  If you want lots of yard and to be away from the suburbs, it would rank high.

Lexington is a bit of both.  Very WASPy, but in my experience very pleasant bunch living there.  Gives a small town vibe from a place that isn't that small.  Several places have good lake access.

Don't overlook the schools.  Richland-Lexington 5 (Irmo and Lexington) have some of the best schools in the state, and jokes about SC aside, they really are good places.  Others, in the same district, are mediocre, but I don't think any are bad.  Still, from experience the difference between "ok" and "great" is noticeable.  Do research on schools and what you're zoned for.  Dunno about Blythewood. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:32 PM

Heh, Cornhole.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 12:03:15 AM

If cornhole is considered an upside, then I am pretty sure I don't know what cornhole means.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 12:47:20 AM

Edit: Actually, I don't think that story should be on record. In short, Cornhole is shitty skeeball and this comment has nothing to do with what was previously here.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 13, 2014, 12:35:59 PM

I'm late to the thread (and it's too late now), but having spent a lot of time in the area (in my former life) I'd definitely recommend the Wilmington area... mainly because the post-secondary is pretty good, it's younger and more liberal, and do not forget you have Wrightsville right there (which is actually a surfer town with a bit of swank here and there).   For older folk there's Southport and Oak Island at the mouth of the river; not far from there.

The rest of the state is complete swamp country hick.  Beautiful for sure, in many places along the inland waterways...  but not for whom I'd expect to be frequenting f13.  You'd need to be semi-retired, own a boat, and a lot of guns.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #46 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:09 AM

We used to drive to South Carolina to buy fireworks because they were legal there so we could set them off in Pennsylvania where they were illegal.  I don't know if that's a plus or a minus.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #47 on: September 15, 2014, 06:16:51 PM

Looking like Irmo. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 06:42:31 PM

Closure, we love it.  Ended up in Irmo.  School is kick ass, cheap as hell, and they matched my salary.  Only downside was moving in fall.

Downside?  I guess it is dark at night.  Having ambient light pollution spoiled me. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 07, 2015, 06:44:48 PM

Buy a telescope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: April 07, 2015, 06:48:58 PM

Irmo was a sleepy little town of 500 people in the early 1970s. Today with more than 12,000 residents Irmo is one of the country's most sought after places to live.

Someone should inform them that 12,000 in 2015 IS a sleepy little town.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 06:25:44 AM

12,000 people? Yeah that's akin to Dallas, GA. It's tiny. The entire place has like a dozen restaurants if that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 06:26:06 AM

Looking like Irmo. 

Irmo is home to the annual Okra Strut and the birthplace of Leeza Gibbons.  Shame it isn't closer to water.  South Carolina has some beautiful coastline.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #53 on: April 08, 2015, 12:33:14 PM

And homicidal cops. Don't walk while black down there.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #54 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:47 AM

Dallas, GA isn't sought after as a place to live by normal people.  I do wish someone would build something tech out here.  Closest job I could get would be around Marietta.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 13, 2015, 07:15:51 AM

Sounds like a market opportunity waiting to happen.  You should go for it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:19 PM

I've considered it.  Independent consulting would come first, but I'd still have to drive all around the god-damned metro area.  The hot places are Alpharetta (1 o'clock) and Norcross/John's Creek (2 o'clock), while I'm 9 o'clock on the ATL dial.  That means ~50 miles and 1.5-2.0 hours in the car.  Anything in the 7-11 range would be great but there's jack-shit west of Marietta (11 o'clock).

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 06:27:27 AM

It could be worse, you could be down here at 7.  Even Peachtree City seems to have gone downhill in the last year.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 11:51:35 AM

It's why I live ITP. Not out in the boonies with all the crazies.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wilmington NC or Columbis SC (moving)  
Jump to: