Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:08:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wilmington NC or Columbis SC (moving) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilmington NC or Columbis SC (moving)  (Read 13418 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

on: June 07, 2014, 03:19:41 PM

Title says it all.  I visited Columbia few months ago and was impressed.  Cheap ass houses and lots of lakes.  Wilmington looks nice on interwebs; the kids and I love beaches.

Got a week to decide roughly and torn between the two.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:26:27 PM

I'm just not sure if I can trust answering your question with that avatar.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 04:02:02 PM

No idea but in general I would trust the place I've actually been to and liked over the fucking internet.

I don't think we have anyone on the boards from either of those places since being able to read and write is mostly mandatory for a message board.  That was uncalled for and I apologize.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 04:07:24 PM

I've spent quite a bit of time in West Columbia, Sc (the gf is from there) Columbia has surprising levels of crime in the affluent suburban areas around it.

Rush's has a decent chili-cheese burger though.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 04:39:58 PM

Columbia was ok (lived in Darlington for a year and went to Columbia a few times), but it can get hot as shit in the summer there. That said, I'd take Wilmington, NC with a caution: hurricanes. Being able to drive to the ocean in a few minutes always wins out with me. SC is a little more friendly in the taxes dept too so there is that. I'd still go with Wilmington.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 05:12:32 PM

Columbia was 90s when I was there in January, and 90s for April May and June. So if you like Hot, Wet weather, you'll love it.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 05:21:58 PM

Columbia was ok (lived in Darlington for a year and went to Columbia a few times), but it can get hot as shit in the summer there. That said, I'd take Wilmington, NC with a caution: hurricanes. Being able to drive to the ocean in a few minutes always wins out with me. SC is a little more friendly in the taxes dept too so there is that. I'd still go with Wilmington.

Hurricanes we are used to.   I grew up in Virginia Beach.

We go to Kitty Hawk a couple weeks every year and love the beach.  I lived in SC for a couple years (and had boots melt to asphalt in September- true story) so am very aware of the heat.

The crime piece bothers me.  Is Columbia one of those cities where you have to know what neighborhoods NOT to drive in?

Anyway, plan was to move to Blythewood up north of Columbia before this second option hit.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 05:38:12 PM

1. Hurricanes in VA Beach are bullshit pussy storms.
2. Jesus christ, neither. How does this happen to you?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 05:59:25 PM

1. Hurricanes in VA Beach are bullshit pussy storms.
2. Jesus christ, neither. How does this happen to you?

Other options were glorious locations like Rochester NY or Baltimore.  I said "hell no."

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 08:39:28 PM

Baltimore is better than both. Live in white town: Resisterstown, Owings Mill, etc. Access to DC, Rockville, Bethesda, and if you're a doucher, the Jersey Shore.

Rochester is nice 9 months out of the year. Really nice.

Wilmington and Columbia are shitholes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 08:47:23 PM

Ched has like 13 kids. He'll be welcomed by the bible thumpers in the Carolinas.  Not like you, ya swarthy ethnic man, you.   awesome, for real

But yeah, I think I'd have taken Baltimore first.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 09:00:05 PM

I've lived in SC my whole life (I'm 35 minutes from Columbia). I'd never in a million years voluntarily move here to live outside of pure desperation, and I'm currently saving up to get out. The people are shit, the weather is worse, and there are few to no good opportunities for decent work.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:06:02 PM by koro »
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 09:04:24 PM

Ched has like 13 kids. He'll be welcomed by the bible thumpers in the Carolinas.  Not like you, ya swarthy ethnic man, you.   awesome, for real

But yeah, I think I'd have taken Baltimore first.

Clearly you haven't met the breeders in the suburbs outside of Bmore.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 02:28:55 PM

Does Wilmington have the burgeoning movie industry still?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 08:30:34 PM

Brother in law is from Wilmington. It's very nice.

Columbia SC is a racist, hot, shithole. Nobody in the SEC likes going there. Other rednecks avoid that town.

EDIT: Listen to koro.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:32:12 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 02:27:03 PM

Columbia SC is a racist, hot, shithole. Nobody in the SEC likes going there. Other rednecks avoid that town.

Looks like Columbia is the winner.  Mainly due to a new development in my work life.  Also, we have a bunch of friends who relocated to Georgia/SC state line.

We will NOT be living in Columbia itself.  Looking at Lexington, Blythewood, or more towards lake Wateree.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 05:40:16 PM

Good luck. Invest in lots of air conditioning.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 08:06:31 PM

Listen to the monkey.  Too late? My condolences.  Not to send this too far into politics, but unless you strongly believe in and identify with tea party politics and fundigelical religion, and you really have a thing for 100 degree heat with 100% humidity and the sweet smell of pine sap mixed with asphalt with not a single breath of a breeze, you will probably regret it.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 03:08:28 AM

I live in NC, and I'll vouch for Wilmington over Columbia any day of the week.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 06:54:09 AM

Split the difference and move to Asheville NC, Greenville SC, or Athens GA. All are way more awesome than Columbia.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:21 AM

Good rule of thumb is not to ever move to "south" anything.  Unless it is South British Columbia, or something.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 10:14:32 AM

Good rule of thumb is not to ever move to "south" anything.  Unless it is South British Columbia, or something.

Unless you have lived in Cleveland and spent a winter or two up there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 06:44:27 PM

So wife is excited, but then spills she REALLY was uber excited about Wilmington (this evening).

Women, when we ask your opinion please be giving it. 

Sigh.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 07:01:13 PM

Ohh, so you care about her opinion and not ours?  why so serious?

-Rasix
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 07:18:06 PM

Ohh, so you care about her opinion and not ours?  why so serious?

awesome, for real Perspective.  Decision was up to family.  No help at all  ACK!

Women are funny.  And note, my wife is not meek.  Tell me what you want!

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 08:26:36 PM

I hope you can afford private schools.  Public education in SC is bad and getting worse.  If it's not too late, I'd seriously consider Wilmington for the sake of the children. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 07:14:16 AM

I'll reiterate that Columbia is a hotter than balls shithole that even Tennessee fans don't want to visit. Seriously. They live in Knoxville and look down their noses at that crapburg.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 04:02:07 PM

Women, when we ask your opinion please be giving it. 

Hear, fucking, hear. In my 40s, married a decade and a half, and I'm still sometimes required to guess what she really means. The ultimate insanity is continuing to believe I might get it right someday  awesome, for real

Having said that, Rochester is nice. Was there for four years. And I loved the weather, all year round though there was always the peak grumbling season. Best sunsets of any place I've ever left.

However, it isn't a beach town by any stretch smiley
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 07:31:39 AM

If you only have to guess your wife's mind sometimes, I tip my hat to you.  As for me, I've given up trying to decipher this minefield of tricks, red-herrings, innocent deceptions, and fake logic.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 07:41:21 PM

For closure:  officially heading to SC.  Never moved my family; logistics gonna be a bitch.

Excited but bummed about being away from family 5 days a week until we find a place.  Much time for games, though  why so serious?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 02:51:33 AM

Welcome back to the South Ched!  We have sweet tea!

And diabeetus.

Staying south of the Mason Dixon line is usually a good move.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 06:32:51 AM

Staying south of the Mason Dixon line is usually a good move.
awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 07:07:09 PM

For closure:  officially heading to SC.  Never moved my family; logistics gonna be a bitch.

Welcome to Cola, neighbor.

But... you chose poorly.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 08:01:12 PM

We warned him.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 08:55:19 PM

2 weeks in and I love it.  Again, I am way up in NrE side of Cola, so ymmv. 

Large part is definitely job satisfaction.  People are super friendly and looking forward to getting the fam down there.

Anyhow, lets be real.  I am with the haves currently, so my view is way distorted.  Looking forward to my first lake adventure.  :)

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wilmington NC or Columbis SC (moving)  
Jump to: