Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:44:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk  (Read 137780 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: May 20, 2014, 04:51:40 AM

Madness will return in less than a month, although I'm really disgusted about the delays, deaths and everything that surrounds this edition (not to mention how FIFA is handling the Qatar venue).

But hey, for those of us passionate about it, being wrapped in the atmosphere will be inevitable once the game kicks off.
----

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

- First match will be Brazil vs Croatia; during last year's Confederation Cup, I really liked Brazil: I was impressed by their (much improved) physical approach and aggressiveness in general. I think they might undertake the competition with a much more "european"  approach, given the burden of responsibility they're going to carry and the fact they just don't fool around as much as in the recent past ;

- Weather might play an important role, with a combination of very high humidity percentage and sudden downpurs of rain. For example, on Saturday, June 14th, England and Italy might get a taste of that when they'll play against each other in Manaus, Amazonia ;

- For you U.S. guys, the task to get through will be almost impossible; ideal would be a tie in your match against (very tricky) Ghana, with Germany beating Portugal so you at least have an headstart on Cristiano Ronaldo's team (which you will meet in your second match, so you can potentially play for another tie) ;

- Italy might be an outsider: we played great during the european championship, but our midfield might crack down, with our very unexperienced attack having trouble scoring goals...Unless enthusiasm and quickness prevail over those factors ;

Having said all that, my dream final is Brazil - Argentina with the latter winning the Cup. What might ensue, I'll leave to your imagination Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? (but, kidding aside, the atmosphere of such a final would be incredible, given the rivalry).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:25:43 PM by Trippy »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:06:11 AM

The corruption on this thing has basically made it a non-watch event for me.

It's a shame because I played soccer for years, but I just can't support the World Cup anymore unless they change how they do it. Add in the fact the USA has a horrific group? Meh.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:29:31 AM

Yeah, I think if the USA gets a point or two out of that group, they'll be lucky. That's just a crazy strong group. Ghana always plays us tough.

Normally, I might favor Spain to win the whole thing but Costa's hamstring injury issues as well as the difficulties of winning 3 major international tourneys in a row lead me to think it won't be them. My second fallback is always Germany.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 08:43:02 AM

The corruption on this thing has basically made it a non-watch event for me.

It's a shame because I played soccer for years, but I just can't support the World Cup anymore unless they change how they do it. Add in the fact the USA has a horrific group? Meh.

the diving too, what kind of sport is this that tolerates a guy writhing in agony on the ground then getting up and running back into the play perfectly fine? what a disgrace to see that at the elite level.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:30:53 AM

I love WC, warts and all. Hopefully Sepp Blatter will get thrown off of Sugarloaf  Mountain in an attempt to placate the football gods.

US is most likely going to get bummed in a bad way, but if they can find a way to beat Ghana in the first game at least they have a ghost of a chance to advance. Germany will kill them, but Portugal is schizophrenic so they have a shot there.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:56:48 AM

Gooo, Norway! Oh, wait. We didn't qualify. Bummer.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 12:10:35 PM

...But first, before putting the final touches on the stadium  swamp poop , Manaus needs to fix its airport:

http://www.football-italia.net/49416/manaus-airport-roof-collapses
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vtj34_world-cup-2014-heavy-rain-causes-damage-at-manaus-airport_news
---

One more thing regarding Italy: I was at San Siro's stadium last sunday for the last AC Milan match against Sassuolo and saw El Shaarawy playing: IMO, Prandelli could have given him a chance, he's clearly getting a lot better and with further preparation I think he could have been an added value for the team (also considering his young age, characteristics and the harsh brazilian weather).

If it wasn't for the good season Cassano had, I think Prandelli would have picked  El Shaarawy anyway. Oh well, he's still young.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:25:19 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 01:03:47 PM

I predict that FIFA will declare this World Cup the greatest ever, and a resounding success, even if bunches of tourists do get murdered.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 01:06:57 PM

I predict that FIFA will declare this World Cup the greatest ever, and a resounding success, even if bunches of tourists do get murdered.

Oh no doubt. They aren't going to admit they sold out publicly.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 01:41:54 PM

Hey, they already issued a PSA on how not to get murdered during a mugging.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 01:43:52 PM

Tourists are also advised not to flaunt valuable objects that might attract robbers, to be careful at night, make sure they are with other people and to check nobody is following them. The guidelines might sound extreme, but police officer Mario Leite says they are there to deal with realities on the ground. "There is no use crying over spilt milk," he says.

headache

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 06:43:25 PM

I live in a very beautiful city in California, USA and that all sounds like very basic reasonable advice to me. For example: If you leave a visible smart phone or tablet in your car you are not allowed to bitch about the subsequent break-in because that shit was your own stupid fault.

In fact on the busses there is a message that goes: "keep your eyes up and your phone away while riding muni" which imo is a bit extreme but a nice reminder that you can run into a snatch and grab if you aren't aware.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:17 PM

Yes, but how is your murder rate?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 06:35:23 AM

The part that blew my mind was make sure you're not being followed and only move in groups. Short of packing a gun, you're essentially going on military patrol when you leave the house.

Why would anybody want to risk going to this?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 10:47:17 AM

And just think, in 2 more years they get the Olympics!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:57 AM

The part that blew my mind was make sure you're not being followed and only move in groups. Short of packing a gun, you're essentially going on military patrol when you leave the house.

Why would anybody want to risk going to this?

Same should apply for Mardi Gras, or really any large gathering of people. Why the fuck anyone goes to these kinds of things in person anymore is beyond me. Fuck the unwashed masses.

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 11:00:05 AM

Yeah, I am not leaving the country (other than to Canada, which is just new and improved America really) until our reputation around the world is a little better. So just a few minutes after the heat death of the universe.

If I happen to stumble onto riches I might check out Europe and just tell everyone I am Canadian  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I would like to see a World Cup game in person at some point. Maybe when the Qatar fiasco inevitably ends with having to shift it to a country with a climate suitable to humans and an infrastructure that can support something bigger than a Boy Scout jamboree...

Soccer is better in person for sure. You can see the entire field and catch things the camera misses. Same for handegg, but you really miss the replays when you are in the stadium. Plus the beer is too expensive.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 11:06:22 AM

For all the things wrong with the Qatari World Cup, the infrastructure isn't going to be one of them. There's no limit to the number of hotels and unneeded stadiums you can build when you have an effectively unlimited pile of cash and an army of Bangladeshi slave labour available to work themselves literally to death.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 12:48:24 PM

Fuck the unwashed masses.

Well, it's the only way you're going to.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 02:12:49 PM

Russia's uni's are beautiful.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 03:44:18 PM

Are they Ukrainian blood red?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 05:11:53 PM

http://balls.ie/football/definitive-power-ranking-2014-world-cup-kits/

Photos of them all. And not the worst utterly subjective ranking of things I've ever seen certainly.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 03:36:23 PM

http://soccer.si.com/2014/05/22/landon-donovan-left-off-usa-world-cup-roster-jurgen-klinsmann-names-his-23/

Interesting. I am not a huge soccer/football fan, but his name has been a mainstay in USA soccer for quite some time and from the few games I have seen with him, he was pretty good. Wonder if the edge wore off or he wandered thru on his ego.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 04:39:53 PM

I am shocked DeAndre Yedlin made it. If he ever sees the pitch Tim Howard will be busy 30 seconds later. He will eventually be good, but he is just way too raw for this stage.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 07:17:11 AM

I can't believe they dropped Donovan. I think that's going to be a huge HUGE mistake. Even at his age, he's still a significant creative force and probably the best player on the world stage for the side. I don't figure he'll be playing in 2018, so why not give him one last go?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 07:24:31 AM

Apparently Klinsmann was pissed about some trip Donovan took earlier and not being on time, or something like that. I was sketchy on the details on ESPN this morning.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 08:01:19 AM

I can't believe they dropped Donovan. I think that's going to be a huge HUGE mistake. Even at his age, he's still a significant creative force and probably the best player on the world stage for the side. I don't figure he'll be playing in 2018, so why not give him one last go?

Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey say hello. Honestly I think it might be the right decision, Donovan just looks ...meh in MLS now.

There's a piece on Grantland about it today which makes the point that maybe it's not the right decision NOW but it is for the next four years. I wonder if Klinsmann looks at the draw the US has and says fuck it, might as well give the young kids some experience cause we ain't getting out of that hell hole.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:30:46 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 08:51:24 AM

Either that or he is a poorly disguised German mole.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 09:23:00 AM

http://balls.ie/football/definitive-power-ranking-2014-world-cup-kits/

Photos of them all. And not the worst utterly subjective ranking of things I've ever seen certainly.

I actually like the "retro" and elegant  style of the greek shirt, probably my favourite of the lot; Germany...nah, my favourite is still the Italy '90 one; and yes, Mexico one is flashing  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? (and how can one forget Campos' outfit durin' USA '94) :

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 09:30:25 AM

Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey say hello. Honestly I think it might be the right decision, Donovan just looks ...meh in MLS now.

Those are both good players - and they would be made better by the inclusion of a playmaker like Donovan.

You may be right about the "fuck it" mentality because yeah, if we get a point out of that group, I'll be amazed.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:29 PM

I was seriously considering going to this and taking my boy. My dad went on his LDS mission there 50 years ago and I thought it would be a cool thing to take him there. Then I starting reading all the crazy shit going on.

Anywho, I hope Messi can get out of his WC funk and play to his potential just because I love watching him play and it would be cool to have him pop up as a counter-narrative to Ronaldo after their respective years (i.e. his down year and Ronaldo's unreal year). I'm not a Ronaldo hater by any means but I like Messi's game better.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 06:18:16 AM

Ronaldo will choke like he did in 2010. And Nike will probably run 50 bagillion ads with him again too.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 03:23:15 PM

Heh, tonight I watched Eire vs. Italy (venue was the always lovely Craven Cottage, London) on TV and Azzurri still have lots of work to do, to say the least  Ohhhhh, I see. . Plus, Montolivo, one of the more "creative" midfielders, suffered a broken shinbone after 13 minutes. Bye bye Brazil.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:15 PM

A broken shinbone..fucking OUCH.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 11:23:39 AM

Look at that, more evidence of bribery and corruption regarding Qatar 2022...  Ohhhhh, I see.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk  
Jump to: