Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:59:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Study: Men Choose Female Avatars in MMOs Because Butts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Study: Men Choose Female Avatars in MMOs Because Butts  (Read 37934 times)
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 04:01:43 PM

I tend to roll more female toons in games.  The study is true.  And what the hell, I'll say it, it's fun to put myself in the shoes of others, the opposite sex included. 

WOW:  Alliance: Male Dwarf.  Horde:  Female Orc
GW2:  Human or Norn Females
SWGemu:  Male Wookiee, Rodian Female

When I play these games I immerse myself in some way, probably not a true "RP" though.  It's not really "me" that i think I'm looking at, but more like my partner in crime.  It's cool to have a cute girl for that.  When I'm playing the Wookiee or Dwarf, I guess I am emulating the image of myself that I'd like to be.  Not hairy or short, but a hardy Scottish warrior with a good sense of humor or a tall strong person who is laid back and friendly.  (I'm not exactly tall or strong)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 07:29:56 PM

Mostly male.  Most memorable female char was a black skin/white tribal tats brawler in CoX.  Holy crap CoX did asses and run animations well.  It was distracting to try to play that char (and you had to pay attention with the brawler).
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 07:37:25 PM

Now what about the males that play females in pen and paper RPG's?   awesome, for real
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #73 on: May 24, 2014, 11:04:43 PM

Now what about the males that play females in pen and paper RPG's?   awesome, for real

Do people commonly do that? Because I can not imagine ever thinking of doing that.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #74 on: May 25, 2014, 06:35:25 AM

THey draw their character's butt to stare at on the char sheet, obv.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 25, 2014, 08:19:22 AM

In my ~15 years of playing and running P&P RPGs, that's only happened once as a joke and was handled in an immature fashion by all involved.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #76 on: May 25, 2014, 12:26:50 PM

In my brother in law's D&D game everyone who's a man stays a man but some of the women play characters of indeterminate gender or genderless altogether.  What bothers me about his game is that he runs it and when he's doing a woman he doesn't do the right voice and his is pretty deep.  For some reason, that just bothers me.  A lot.  If I'm in the room or if I can hear him anywhere, I have to go upstairs, close the door and put on headphones.  Even posting about it is making me grind my teeth. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 25, 2014, 07:19:34 PM

Heh, I'd suggest either or:

- text to speech with a female voice
- microphone and voice changer software
- a (female) voice actor (just somebody who can say his lines)

I usually play males, but in SWTOR I played whichever voice actors sounded better.  And I couldn't always tell by the character creation screen, so I ended up re-rolling at level 10 or so, a few times.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #78 on: May 26, 2014, 09:25:11 AM

I prefer my DM not try to do a "female" voice when he's being a female NPC, I rather he just ... be in character. It's less distracting that way.

I've only had one guy play a lady character as his PC in our games, and the reason was "I felt like it." Ain't nothin' wrong with that. I think he also just really liked the mini he wound up using. He didn't do anything creepy playing her (I've ... I've heard stories), she could've just as easily been a dude. She just wasn't! I've thought about playing a dude once in a while, just for a change of pace (and also because I almost always have a hell of a time finding a mini I don't hate for my characters), but given my current group is such a sausagefest, I feel obligated to be the Girl in our parties.

God Save the Horn Players
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 26, 2014, 09:50:37 AM

Yeah, I've only ever seen this setup once before (a guy playing a stabby decker girl in Shadowrun; it was actually suggested by his wife who also played in our group!), and it worked out fine. We also had a woman play a tough ex-yakuza boat captain dude in the same campaign, so it went both ways.

As for the GM playing female NPCs, that totally doesn't count! Besides, is a mantis spirit a "she" or an "it"? awesome, for real

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 27, 2014, 05:14:48 AM

Do people commonly do that? Because I can not imagine ever thinking of doing that.

Really?  In my long term p&P gaming group men play ladies and ladies play men all the time (and all of them are married heteronormative family types).  Currently I am playing a female wookie bounty hunter and my wife is playing a psychotic protocol droid in a Savage worlds campaign set in the star wars universe and me playing a female was never an issue.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #81 on: May 27, 2014, 09:30:42 AM

Really?  In my long term p&P gaming group men play ladies and ladies play men all the time (and all of them are married heteronormative family types).  Currently I am playing a female wookie bounty hunter and my wife is playing a psychotic protocol droid in a Savage worlds campaign set in the star wars universe and me playing a female was never an issue.

Do you do the voice? 

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #82 on: May 27, 2014, 02:19:31 PM

It's not something I'd ever really consider doing in a face-to-face game - it's not something that particularly interests me, nor something I feel I could do any real justice - but it's common in some groups. I know James Jacobs at Paizo plays female characters all the time (and then puts them in all his published adventures and I have to run them as NPCs...)

I don't have a problem running female NPCs as the DM, but I'd probably disturb Signe with the mahogany tones of my deep, manly voice playing a 11 year old street urchin informer, or whatever.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 27, 2014, 02:36:58 PM

1 in 4 of my characters in PnP are female. I've been GMing and playing PnP for years (since the dying days of dicso!) as a result I start with the character concept first and then flush out the numbers later. Sometimes the character (wither PC or NPC) works better as a woman. Who am I to judge when writing? The pen demands!

And no, I don't try to talk in a feminine voice. Cannot do voice acting. It would just come off as absurd.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #84 on: May 27, 2014, 04:40:04 PM

I don't do the p&p thing, but I imagine guys playing girls and speaking in deep voices wouldn't be difficult to roll with given that routinely happens in MMOs too -- on my screen there's group of ladies stabbing stuff, on the teamspeak 4 out of 5 of them are actually dudes talking and joking around normally.

Though that said, I have preference for lower pitch voice in general, so maybe that's helping why so serious?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:42:59 PM by tmp »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #85 on: May 27, 2014, 04:53:24 PM

I assume those guys aren't ~roleplaying~ though.

I have a deepish voice, personally, but I haven't been mistaken for a dude on Vent in years! I'm apparently in the zone where if you assume I'm a dude as your starting point, I sound like one.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #86 on: May 27, 2014, 07:04:41 PM

But doing the voice would amuse me.  If you're just watching or listening and everyone is using their regular voice... well, you know, it's kind of tedious.  If people are using voices that go with the character, it's fun to watch.  Well, for me, anyway.  Then, again, I enjoy uncomfortable humour. 

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #87 on: May 27, 2014, 07:55:31 PM

I'll do voices sometimes, but more often I try to just give characters a kind of conversational 'hook' - this person talks fast, this one always addresses the person he's talking to by name every time he speaks, this one always talks in the third person, etc. Me trying to sound like a girl would be so bad that I think it would be more distracting/annoying than fun. People who aren't playing being around a game always makes me really self-conscious about it anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #88 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:19 PM

When he RPs a baby owlbear, he makes his eyes really big and hoots pathetically and makes me and the other woman in the game immediately threaten the other people in the party to NOT LAY A DAMN FINGER ON THAT ADORABLE BABY WE JUST ORPHANED.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 28, 2014, 02:43:47 AM

Do you do the voice? 

Not really.  Most of us are min maxers who are in it for the killing.  Also wookies can't really speak except in loud howls. which i do do on occasion.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #90 on: May 28, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

I'm not going to be playing a girl in a pen and paper RPG unless I only say things like "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers"

I also took a look back at my gaming history and it seems to be that my preference is entirely based on model and animation quality.

exa: world of warcraft, wanted to be an alliance shaman so had to be draenei. Draenei women's models and run animation were both amazingly superior so no choice there

dragon age 2: lady hawke had this extremely weird sissy-girl stylized walk, like the animators didn't think a woman would run like anything other than a stereotypical fleeing damsel. so, male it is.

etc etc
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 02, 2014, 12:35:43 PM

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: June 02, 2014, 03:49:00 PM

heh when I first got into D&D I made a paladin. The DM wanted me to roll a few companions and for whatever reason one of them I created to be the paladin's sister, herself a paladin. I gave her a backstory and after awhile she seemed more interesting than my original character.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 02, 2014, 05:35:54 PM

Was your first character basically "you" or whatever? I find whenever I make a character that's "me" they tend to be more blank slates then anything, since they are me.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: June 02, 2014, 10:16:34 PM

Was your first character basically "you" or whatever? I find whenever I make a character that's "me" they tend to be more blank slates then anything, since they are me.

It's hard to remember tbh. I tried to model him after some character in a fantasy novel I read at the time but during that stage of my life I was also really into the ideal of the paladin. So I probably attempted to make him separate from myself, but failed miserably.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 04, 2014, 04:43:30 AM

At this stage I find its easy to pick out the females playing female characters in GW2. They are the ones that are actually wearing clothes.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: June 04, 2014, 12:41:54 PM

Nah, they're all playing the beautiful men instead  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #97 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:58 PM

Orlando Fabuloso isn't beautiful, just pretty.  why so serious?

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #98 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:38 PM

I am not comfortable being hit upon by men, hence I don't play female chars.
>:( faggots.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 06, 2014, 08:34:37 AM

I generally end up playing female characters in games where there's a choice, and while the obvious reason is part of it, it mostly boils down to animation preferences and how bad a lot of male characters look. In WoW (vanilla) I played a NE female hunter because the other choices were dwarves (never) or male NE.. and the latter just looked so utterly ridiculous. When I swapped to Shaman it was the female draenei for the same reason.

Another reason I tend to go for the female characters is I just find it immensely easier to create a character I like the look of (whether pretty or otherwise). In Mass Effect, for example, I almost always used the default male-Shep model because I could never customize one in a way I liked; whereas I easily made varying fem-Sheps that I liked the look of.

Also, as others have said, female characters often just look better, even in the massive armours, than their male counterparts. Voice acting is also a big reason I tend to prefer female characters; I just naturally prefer my characters to have a female voice if the voice acting is of equal quality (and I usually find male voice actors to be lower quality, in my opinion). Of course, if the female voice actor sucks, or the male version is just notably superior.. I won't play a female character.

Besides, strong and/or bad-ass female characters just interest me a whole lot more than their male counterparts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Study: Men Choose Female Avatars in MMOs Because Butts  
Jump to: