Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Gotham 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gotham  (Read 28359 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:28 AM

Depends how they use the super heroes. Thats why i said "tone down", not "remove".
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 08:19:23 AM

The appeal of the show to me, is seeing how regular every day police try and deal with increasingly more bizarre and dangerous villains and vigilantes. I'm interested in seeing a familiar setting and world from a very different perspective.

Will they deliver on that... who the fuck knows? Probably won't, but maybe!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 07:26:25 AM

I just think Gordon is an interesting character, as long as he's kinda like the Year One one.

I also feel that what makes Batman strong is that for the most part, everything in that world normal people associate with Batman is all mundane. At best you'll get 'roided out stuff like Bane (a terrible 3rd movie, but that aside...), but otherwise it's all normal fallible people trying and often failing to do extraordinary things.

Gordon's divorce, his daughter becoming Oracle, the Graysons, that's all relable stuff. Making it like Arrow would be perfect (though of course.. FOX).

I think of it as two Batmans: the one everyone can relate to and the one in X dimension shooting magic something at whateverthefuckisnameis before he goes back in time to stop whatever because only a normal human can do what fucking invincible omniscient time travellers can't or whatsis.

tl;lr: Batman and Gotham have mass appeal until all the nerdy comic book shit shows up.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 06:58:32 PM

The guy developing this was one of the creators of HBO's Rome, though he also created The Mentalist...  so who knows?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 08:10:42 AM

I clicked this thread by accident because I kept thinking this was a cartoon show.  DOH!  I watched the trailer and it looks pretty good.  However, why would they show us bad stuff in a trailer?  I remember the trailer for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen looking so fucking incredible... then I saw the film.   ACK!  Sometimes the trailer is the best bit of the show.  Hopefully, that's not the case with this or Constantine because they really do look like good fun.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 08:46:23 AM

Am I the only one who felt like the acting in this trailer was fairly uneven? Sometimes it felt like a well made fan video instead of something done by a major network.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 06:01:49 PM

Watched the premiere. I liked it. I don't really like comic stuff much but this seemed to be more about cops and organized crime than about supervillians.

Also the soundtrack is pretty solid.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:38 PM

Also liked this premiere.  This looks like it might incorporate a bit of the tone of the 1960s series- at least I hope that was what the hilarious overacting from the rogues gallery was about.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 06:03:38 AM

Yea, it was a little jarring having most of the characters act serious and even toned beside Jada Smith chewing the scenery. I forgive it in Penguin, because I know the character and expect him or the Riddler to be over the top. That character of Smith's I've never heard of, so she just felt out of place. Also thought the casting of Alfred to be a little outside of what I expected, but that might be from just seeing the actor play something totally opposite in Sherlock.

I liked the subtle blend of the setting feeling almost 40's ish, yet clearly being modern day with the tech. I'll give it a chance. Was far better than that clusterfuck Scorpion that I watched after it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 08:37:33 AM

That character of Smith's I've never heard of, so she just felt out of place.

She's a character made up entirely for Gotham according to my Google search.

Also good to see I wasn't the only one who thought Scorpion sucked. I regret watching it.  TV writers can't write brilliant people. Probably because they're not.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 12:49:06 PM

I think their approach to Supervillains will match Arrow - they'll start off mundane and mortal - and then they'll slowly build to the full fantasy we see in a Mr. Freeze, Solon Grundy, etc...

I liked it as a pilot, but hope they level out a bit and take off some of the rough edges on the acting.  It felt more like movie acting than series acting.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 01:00:21 PM

I liked Jada's overacting. The show needs a bit of ham-fisted villain that's going to end up getting owned.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:28 PM

There are rumors about her character.  Fish Mooney being a nod to an episode of the Batman cartoon where the Joker poisons fish.  Her place will also be the setting for a revolving set of comedians, of which one may or may not become the Joker.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 02:07:40 PM

It felt like Gotham Central (the comic), more than Batman. Even down to the transplanted characters like Montoya.

This is a good thing.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 08:44:55 AM

I believe Gotham Central was the original pitch, and then the network pushed for the Batman angle.  I'm thinking Bruce is a background figure for several years with his development into Batman hinted, more than shown.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 04:49:35 PM

No need to hint, it's not even in his mind yet. Bruce didn't start training until his mid teens and was 10 when his parents were shot. This show would need to last 15 years to see Year One if you keep to the "he was 25" timeline.

Could they do away with that and have him start to train in Gotham? Sure, but why. This story is about the supporting cast, not the Bat.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 24, 2014, 05:03:26 PM

Keeping bruce as a side character is fine but it's gotta be depressing.  As in he needs to keep seeing how shitty gotham is over and over until he finally can't take it any more.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 07:01:23 PM

My understanding was that this was to be about Jim Gordon's early years, and the batman and villains were just accessories to that end.

Frankly, I don't care who it's about, so long as it doesn't suck.  The first episode had promise, but being on Fox, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 07:20:45 PM

First episode wasn't bad. It was very uneven in parts and they really need to give Donal Logue some funny linesa because he's kind of wasted with what they gave him in the pilot. It's good enough to stay on the Tivo. The writing could use a little boost. I really hope they keep Nymga around for a while because he might have been the best part.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 08:53:03 PM

Still watching this, but tonally the show is all over the place.  Some of the time, it remembers it is on at 8 PM on a network and seems very G-rated- a police procedural with infinitely less gravitas than any other cop show.  On the other hand, sometimes they graphically show someone's eyes clawed out, and someone is gratuitously murdered every five minutes- but even that feels G-rated, somehow.  The villains have that early comic book quality of killing their own henchmen for absolutely no reason.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:55:18 PM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:10 AM

I'm really liking it for the most part. It feels like they missed with the Alfred character. Just doesn't seem to square with how I pictured him being. Oh well. I can ignore it.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 07, 2014, 04:28:49 AM

I'm really liking it for the most part. It feels like they missed with the Alfred character. Just doesn't seem to square with how I pictured him being. Oh well. I can ignore it.

I believe their line of thinking is probably "If Alfred was such a great caretaker and susbstitute father how come Bruce still turns into Batman?"  Plenty of kids see their parents get killed and don't start wearing tights, especially when someone takes care of them and loves them.  It makes sense to me at least to have Alfred be a dick in the beginning and only later realize it's a mistake but by then it's too late and Bruce is already off playing in caves.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: October 09, 2014, 07:40:40 AM

I like the show and I think their take on Alfred is a lot different than expected but I like that take. It actually fits with some of the comic backstory on the character (he was in OSI during WWII and such)  which always seemed so out of place on the uptight posh butler. This guy being more "earthy" fits that better. The show really is all over the board though. They still don't really have a handle on how to write for Donal Logue - he's a perfect casting for Bullock but they really don't give him any good lines to match. I'm not feeling Fish Mooney personally. They seem to be trying too hard to make her menacing but she should really already be dead. I do like their take on Penguin, though. It doesn't entirely make sense but it's better than Burgess Meredith. It hasn't blown me away but it hasn't made me want to turn it off at any point yet.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:19 AM

I'm not liking Mooney much either.  I just don't buy Jada Pinkett Smith as a menacing mobster.  I'm hoping they off her by the end of season 1.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:35 PM

I likey almost everybody except Fish Mooney as well, she can't die soon enough. Alfred is a bit different, but it makes sense that he would be a bit overwhelmed by having to care for a child all of a sudden. He can still mellow with age.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 05:38:54 PM

Still watching this, but tonally the show is all over the place.  Some of the time, it remembers it is on at 8 PM on a network and seems very G-rated- a police procedural with infinitely less gravitas than any other cop show.  On the other hand, sometimes they graphically show someone's eyes clawed out, and someone is gratuitously murdered every five minutes- but even that feels G-rated, somehow.  The villains have that early comic book quality of killing their own henchmen for absolutely no reason.  

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:28 AM

The biggest problem with this show continues to be Fish Mooney. The character is just fucking terrible.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 08:14:20 PM

The biggest problem with this show continues to be Fish Mooney. The character is just fucking terrible.

Sadly, this makes me think she will continue to be a big part of the show.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 15, 2014, 09:22:11 PM

I place the blame for that solely on the shoulders of Will Smith.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 08:30:08 AM

Thing is, I have no problem with Jada Pinkett Smith. She's clearly being told by the directors to chew the everliving fuck out of the scenery. I just think the character itself is fucking idiotic. The whole "act like I'm a boy and seduce me" thing just had my eyes rolling SO HARD.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 02:10:55 PM

Her accent grates on me. That's about the only thing. I think she's supposed to be the over-the-top stupid villain you can't wait to see die. For various reasons.

Still like the show. Like hot chick cat fight in the last episode.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 26, 2014, 07:20:37 PM

Finally caught up on this in a marathon this morning. I like it, but I'm with Haemish on how all over the place it is. Really liking Gordon, Bullock, Nygman, Penguin, Falcone, Marone. Hate Fish, but probably as others have said: I'm supposed to.

What sells it for me is that few are just cardboard cut outs. There's enough dimensionality to keep it interesting for the most part.

Just said over in Flash though: the thing I don't like is I know just enough about the lore that it feels painfully slow how each character is building up. I wish I knew less so I could enjoy it more.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 26, 2014, 07:25:31 PM

Just said over in Flash though: the thing I don't like is I know just enough about the lore that it feels painfully slow how each character is building up. I wish I knew less so I could enjoy it more.
How much farther does Penguin have to go?  He is a little naïve for the Penguin, and not quite fat and old enough, but the personality seems about fully developed at this point to me.  What growth, other than lbs and wrinkles, does he need?

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:03 AM

I know the basic Batman lore but the rest of the characters in Gotham, the Flash or Constantine are blank slates for me.  Of the three shows I find Gotham the most watchable. The Flash is ok but I feel like the show isn't really aimed at people like me.  I'm not sure about Constantine, the concept is sort of interesting but the pilot seemed weak, I'll DVR a couple more episodes but I have the feeling this one is going to be a miss for me as well.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 03:28:12 PM

As someone who has watched too many police procedural shows in my day, coupled with what I know about Batman lore, this show is boring as fuck.  You are better off just watching Castle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Gotham  
Jump to: