Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:30:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: H1Z1 (Zombieapocalypse: SOE edition?) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: H1Z1 (Zombieapocalypse: SOE edition?)  (Read 69669 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: April 09, 2014, 06:12:41 AM

https://www.h1z1.com/home

Soon...

(or, that's what the majority of websites are speculating)

EDIT: now with a tweet from Smedley!

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/453667331797839872

watch  http://1337loungelive.com/GTL/  tomorrow [today, 9th April] between 5-6pm PST if you are interested in the new game we haven't announced. there is gameplay footage
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:21:12 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:24:37 AM

Yes, exactly what we needed.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:36:09 AM

Based on tweets from a few months ago, I'm not 100% sure it's zombies.  My initial impression was that it's a survival game, based in a world that experienced an extreme loss of people. 

Smed took flak for calling this a game that SWG players would like, making everyone think it was a SW game.  Heh. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 08:37:05 AM

I wasn't aware people who liked SWG necessarily liked Star Wars. What was the crossover? Twi'leks?
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:42 AM

If it is zombies I hope every single asshole responsible gets whacked in the genitalia and temple with a tire iron. So fucking tired of bandwagon shit, and ESPECIALLY tired of fucking zombies. It has been what, a solid decade now? At least?

Red Dead Redemption made a boatload of money, didn't it? Why is no one exploring that genre for a MMOG?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:46:15 AM

Even I, who have historically loved zombies and zombie related media, have no interested in yet another zombie survival game - especially not an MMO. 

Project Zomboid has it nailed, they've even got multiplayer going now, everyone else can buzz off.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:32:56 AM

The problem I'd see with a strict zombie apocalypse MMO is there's only one foozle to whack. I don't see that.

Some kind of overall biological apocalypse more like Resident Evil would be a better fit, particularly if you pushed it into a post-holocaust civilization angle like Defiance rather than the classic small group wandering aimlessly and being picked off.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:42:45 AM

The problem I'd see with a strict zombie apocalypse MMO is there's only one foozle to whack. I don't see that.

Some kind of overall biological apocalypse more like Resident Evil would be a better fit, particularly if you pushed it into a post-holocaust civilization angle like Defiance rather than the classic small group wandering aimlessly and being picked off.

There's always fast zombies, slow zombies, exploding zombies, fat zombies, gigantic super zombies, stealth zombies, puking zombies, aqua zombie, zombie wearing riot gear, cross-breed spider/human zombie, etc.  Plus, there's your angered wildlife and 100 different flavors of post-apoc jerk human (cannibals, survivalist, Mormon, military, etc).   Such wonderful variety.  awesome, for real

As for this: don't care, over zombies.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:38:28 AM

Fuck Zombies. And I do NOT mean zombie pr0n. Just fuck zombies, I am SO FUCKING TIRED of zombies.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:15 AM

This might not be just zombies though. Monsters, mutated murderous humans, bird-flu, some The Secret World, and a generous spoon of sandbox. Could be interesting, could be genuinely new. Could be utter crap. Very curious to see the gameplay tonight.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:53:28 AM

This is the reskinned-SWG-with-zombies game, right?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:56:42 AM

I expect a Rust-ish game more than a zombie survival game.

I have never played WoW.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 12:07:47 PM

So the consensus is, we don't know what it is but we know we hate it.  Roger.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 12:10:16 PM

So the consensus is, we don't know what it is but we know we hate it.  Roger.

Well, statistically speaking I've hated all but about 3 MMOs in the last 10 years.  I'm just playing the odds.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:14 PM

Watch the grain, Bzalthek, watch the grain. You wouldn't want to go against it. headache

Seriously tho, you don't have to see the game to know that the zombie-thing is wearing thin.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:17:01 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 12:14:07 PM

Watch the grain, Bzalthek, watch the grain. You wouldn't want to go against it. headache

Seriously tho, you don't have to see the game to know that zombie-thing is wearing thing.
yolo swag 420!

Am I doing this right?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 01:51:52 PM

Looks like Polygon got the scoop (from the same source anyway, Game Talk Live):

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/9/5598202/h1z1-zombie-mmo-sony-online-entertainment

"That's the point," Smedley said. "When you see a zombie coming up to you with nothing out but a highway flare. But here is something your gonna be able to do that you can't do in these other games: Light things on fire. We are in the middle of putting that in so you are gonna be able to burn down trees, burn down stuff, and that's gonna be a lot of fun. The idea is that these players [are] building these forts and all of the sudden these other guys coming in lighting it on fire and waiting till they come out of the fortress ... is awesome."

A day and night cycle will also affect H1Z1, whose name brings to mind the real-life H1N1 swine flu virus.

"Oh God yeah," Smedley said when asked about day and night, "but in this game it matters a lot more than in others because it gets really dark at night and you need to have a torch and you will be ganked by other players, zombies. So we [have] vehicles in here. We can actually have aircraft if we want. Our goal is to build out this entire massive massive world that is this apocalypse of the United States."

SMEDLEY THE ARSONIST  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

So yeah, it sounds more like a combination between another awesome Arma 2 sandbox mod, "Wasteland" (which I think it's going to be ported over to Arma 3) and DayZ, in a MMO environment.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:53:29 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 01:55:19 PM

Oh thankgod!  After losing SWG a post apocalyptic zombie game is exactly where I want to call home.  Can I go greenlight this on steam or does SoE already have funding covered.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:57:18 PM

Sounds more like Minecraft than DayZ.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 02:10:51 PM

Zinecraft? MineDay?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 02:15:26 PM

Hmm.  Okay, so it's zombies.  Their production values have been good lately, so maybe this will be a viable alternative to the other zomsurv games.

Whether you like PS2 and Landmark or not, there's some really neat ideas and tech in both.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 04:56:13 PM

Zinecraft? MineDay?
But...Minecraft has zombies!

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 05:00:16 PM

direct link to Game Talk live on Twitch. Should start broadcasting in a minute:

http://it.twitch.tv/1337loungelive

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 05:10:21 PM

twitch chat reinforces why twitch chat should be euthanized.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 05:46:03 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22niku/what_is_h1z1/

Hi there,

I wanted to tell you about an exciting new free-to-play game we’ve had under wraps here at SOE for some time. It’s called H1Z1. It’s a massively multiplayer game in which players fight for survival in a world where death is the only sure thing. The H1Z1 virus devastated mankind and left nothing but death and destruction in its wake and a world nearly empty of human life where the remnants of humanity are in a fight against extinction against those infected with the virus.

It’s been 15 years since H1Z1 was first encountered and what’s left of the world before is overrun with the Infected. Humanity has been reduced to hiding in the shadows, searching desperately for food and water and anything that can help to survive even for another day. But the Infected aren’t the only dangers in the world. Everyday life in the Apocalypse means dealing with all kinds of wild animals and the brutality of other survivors, as well as finding your next meal and a safe place to sleep. It also means scavenging or crafting anything that can help you live just one more day. In H1Z1 every minute of every day is borrowed time and fearing for your life… unless you are the Danger (talking to you Walter), but life can and will go on… even in circumstances as dire as this. Humanity has not given in to the Infected. There are still pockets of humanity and the fight goes on!

Our vision for this game is very simple but ambitious. We are starting with what I would call “Middle America” – an “anywhere and everywhere” town. The world is massive as you’ve come to expect from our games. Over time we will grow the world until we have our own version of the U.S. after the death and destruction brought on during the H1Z1 epidemic. It will be our own version of America. We’ll have urban cities and desolate wide open places. All connected seamlessly. Our focus is building a sandbox style of gameplay where players can build shelters out of resources in the world. They can even work together to make amazing fortresses complete with weaponry to help defend against both the Infected and other players. Players also have access to a very deep crafting system that can let players make a huge variety of awesome stuff, including weapons (I made a 1911 the other day) and things like Molotov cocktails, explosives.. and other fun surprises.

I will also go right to the heart of the question a lot of players will have – “There are a lot of survival / Zombie games… how is this one going to be any different?”. First off, it’s a persistent MMO that can hold thousands of players on servers we host (yes there will be multiple servers with very different rule sets). Why is that a good thing? It means a thriving economy (oh yes… there’s trading). It also means you have potential allies in the all-out war on the Infected... and many an enemy as well. It uses our proprietary next-gen Forgelight engine and that means we’ve had a lot of really cool technology to work with to make the game we wanted to make. It’s also designed from the ground up for our players to become part of the design process. The Roadmap system that we built for PlanetSide 2 will be used extensively to clearly communicate what features we’re working on and what you can expect and when. You’re also going to be getting awesome access to our developers. We’ll be opening it up for Player Studio creations too so expect player-created items to make their way into the game.

The main thing that differentiates H1Z1 from the other great games in the genre is the emphasis we are putting on player ownership and building. We want you to be able to form roving gangs that are headquartered out of an abandoned warehouse that you’ve taken over... or a house you’ve built from scratch after having cut trees down and secured the resources to make it. We are giving players the tools to make their own towns, camps and defenses, and they can decide how to set up their base (which is in the world btw... not instanced). We’re building in all the social features you’ve come to expect from an SOE game (grouping, proximity voice chat, voice chat for your gang, and many other cool social features).

To use a simple reference I’m sure everyone interested in this game will get... we want our players to make Woodbury from The Walking Dead if they want to. Or take over a prison. Or fix an old car so you and your friends (yeah we have multiplayer vehicles) can run zombies and players over mercilessly, and revel in the sheer delight of hearing a zombie scream as you light it on fire, or craft a gun to take down your friends and enemies alike. Our goal here is to provide emergent gameplay that will allow our players to make the world their own the way they want to. One of the best things about H1Z1 being an MMO is the fact that with a lot of people playing, we’re able to see all different kinds of gameplay. If you prefer a quiet life as a farmer raising crops... we’re going to make sure your zombie apocalypse fantasy is complete. If you’re like me and you want nothing more than to kill everything that moves, by all means see how that goes. It’s going to be a blast!

Check out H1Z1.com and the subreddit ( http://reddit.com/r/h1z1 ). We’ll be adding more information in the coming weeks to the website. We’ll also be very openly answering questions in the subreddit.
Next week you can see us do a livestream of the game as we have a playtest. Stay tuned!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 12:13:43 AM

So it is zombies after all. It's basically DayZ minus Eastern Europe but with more players and more building. I will never be tired of zombies, so this is good for me even though I prefer Chernarus over USA, but considering how much hate War Z (which takes place in Colorado and California by the way) received for "stealing the idea" one and a half year ago, I am curious to see the amount of rage this one will get and how Rocket will take it considering he got really frustrated and depressed over the War Z plagiarism.

In a way, Smed and H1Z1 are plagiarising War Z more than they are plagiarising Day Z.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 01:22:41 AM

I must be looking at this completely the wrong way, but "post-apocalyptic zombie survival horror in rural US" seems light years away from "aspirational interstellar adventure on a variety of planets."

For a game ostensibly dedicated to SWG fans, it has a chance to get the features right, but the immersive atmosphere is wildly off target.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:25:03 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 01:36:30 AM

To be fair, Star Wars/space setting aside, most if not all the things things that were signature features of the original SWG experience are reproducible in the game they say they want to make here. In that sense he might have a point. Then again, it's Smed and he got blasted and grilled for that comment (the SWG analogy) already about two months ago when he first made it, to the point he had to apologise and take it back.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:38:26 AM by Falconeer »

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 03:59:58 AM

SWG was UO2 with some movie tie in, can't remember the name. When I heard it would appeal to SWG fans I read it as "This is UO3 in zombieland."

The run over players in the car makes me think this is full PVP which won't work.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 04:04:38 AM

Based on tweets from a few months ago, I'm not 100% sure it's zombies.  My initial impression was that it's a survival game, based in a world that experienced an extreme loss of people. 

Smed took flak for calling this a game that SWG players would like, making everyone think it was a SW game.  Heh. 

Perhaps he's referring to the fact they're used to servers with only a smattering of survivors?

It does seem like SOE are just trying to find a popular foundation they can leverage off.  I imagine this one will launch in about as rough shape as landmark in the hopes it will gather massive community support. But working with the community and iterating in the public eye aren't really SOE's strength.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 04:35:53 AM

The run over players in the car makes me think this is full PVP which won't work.

Smed said "many servers with many different rulesets" so I wouldn't worry about that. I am 100% sure they will go as far as making full PvE servers with no PvP allowed (called "co op servers"), and full PvP servers as in Day Z. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered some perma-death servers (called "hardcore servers"), now that they canned Wizardry Online.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 09:46:56 AM

Since it's F2P, I'll likely try this out but really... SOE wants to make DayZ? Really? Talk about trend humping. First, EQMinecraft now Dayside.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 12:16:02 PM

There's an open place in the market for quality versions of those games made by seasoned developers.  Minecraft is the only MC-like game that is worth playing.  None of the zomsurv games are fleshed out enough to be really worth the money, with the possible exception of Project Zomboid. 

Will this game be the 'good' version of them?  Dunno.  I think they did a pretty dang good job with PS2 and I'm hoping that same level of quality comes to this game.

I'll probably shell out $20 to see what this is about in a couple months.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

Since it's F2P, I'll likely try this out but really... SOE wants to make DayZ? Really? Talk about trend humping. First, EQMinecraft now Dayside.
Notably, that still makes them better than pretty much every other MMO developer who all seem stuck on "WoW-clone but not as good"

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 05:37:01 PM

I'm glad MMOs are able to final move beyond fantasy. However, it also means it's going to get populated with themes I couldn't possibly care any less about.

Like zombies.

I don't get it. I've never gotten it. A couple of fun one-off movies, some TV shows that are more about hell being other people than hell being zombies, that awesome WWZ novel which had almost nothing to do with zombies, a couple of interesting games over the decades which could have been robots or cars or anything that had those performance characteristics for as much as I cared about them being zombies.

And now set that all in the same high concept living world stuff that has been far more promised than adequately delivered since Eve sucked all the players from post-NGE SWG?

No thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: H1Z1 (Zombieapocalypse: SOE edition?)  
Jump to: