Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 03:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 308729 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #805 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:50 AM

Moving on...

My earlier speculation was based on a few things outside of the characters.

1) Hamill loves acting and has always enjoyed his role in Star Wars. He'd gladly continue on as Luke in future movies. Would be pointless to make him the bad guy and kill him off early.
2) Ford is the opposite and despite it launching his career has always hated the role since he became a "Serious" actor. He's gotten legit pissed when asked about playing Han Solo before. Hell, he wanted Han dead after Empire, never to return in Jedi. I see no reason other than a big fat paycheck that he came back to do this one. The series would be better off letting him die and move on.

No reason they can't kill Luke off in the first movie. He'll just return like Obiwan did - though the force. But I doubt that will happen. At least not in this movie, and especially if Luke slides to the dark side.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #806 on: April 23, 2015, 11:14:16 AM

He absolutely despises that fucking character.

Of course he would. Why wouldn't he? I hate that part too. It's part that made him rich and a household name as well as the one part that he showed any sort of personality beyond a block of very sedated wood. He's a fucking hack who would have died a carpenter if it hadn't been for blowing Lucas while he was doing work on his kitchen.

You know who doesn't hate the part that gave them their break? People who aren't hacks.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #807 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:11 AM

If they can somehow work in a, "GET OFF MY STARSHIP!" line into the movie, I'll be happy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #808 on: April 23, 2015, 12:36:28 PM

Reading between the lines of interviews he's done, you can tell that he thought Lucas had promised him Han would die in RotJ, that was the only reason he came back for it at all, then Lucas screwed him:
“We had an outline and George changed everything in it,” Kurtz said. “Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn’t want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason.”

Pretty sure he got it in the contract this time.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: April 23, 2015, 02:58:15 PM

I love the toy sales arguments... because, you know, they never made any more Obi Wan figures at all.

why so serious?

beer geek.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: April 23, 2015, 04:13:37 PM

Yeah, and Boba Fett dying really killed his toy sales too.

Over and out.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58:40 PM

Lucas is not known for his foresight.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #812 on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:03 PM

If there's one company that knows how to utilize it's IP as much as they can without killing it, it's Disney. Disney buying this property was the best thing that could have happened to it. They need to get the lead out and license some X-Wing games. I'm pretty pissed they shitcanned that World of Tanks / War Thunder style starfighter mmo game though.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: May 04, 2015, 02:02:45 PM

Some Vanity Fair photos.

I don't know if they'd already said so before but looks like the remnants of the Empire are called the First Order.

Edit: gallery was taken down
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:43:51 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #814 on: May 04, 2015, 06:37:30 PM

Borked link.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #815 on: May 04, 2015, 07:34:08 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #816 on: May 05, 2015, 05:27:22 PM

i fixed up some of these promos

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: July 10, 2015, 08:50:39 PM

Comic-con reel here

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:14 PM

Nice enough video.  Very clear that they are trying their best to say at every opportunity "we aren't making this the way they made the prequels."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: July 11, 2015, 02:34:38 AM

Very nice indeed. 
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: July 11, 2015, 02:36:59 AM

That SDCC reel was better than any trailer could be. I love behind-the-scenes footage so much. I'm as into what happens before it gets to the screen as I am when it's on. The craft (and graft) of practical effects lights all my fires.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: July 11, 2015, 04:28:53 AM

Won't lie, got chills just as much over this as I did the teaser trailer before.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: July 11, 2015, 10:34:15 AM

Won't lie, got chills just as much over this as I did the teaser trailer before.

My chillfactor was way higher for that comic-con reel than for any movie-teaser in recent memory.   Maybe the misty mountains song Hobbit teaser was close.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #823 on: July 11, 2015, 09:27:11 PM

Ahh.  So good.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #824 on: July 12, 2015, 07:50:32 AM

They're still focusing on mining nostalgia for the original trilogy rather than giving us any indication what they might be doing that's new and original beyond having a round droid.  As such I am still suspicious that this will basically be Star Wars: Into Darkness.  But at least the actual craft looks good.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: July 12, 2015, 09:55:57 AM

As such I am still suspicious that this will basically be Star Wars: Into Darkness.
Essentially, this would be miles better than 1 through 3.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: July 12, 2015, 03:17:37 PM

OTOH if it is Star Wars: The-one-before-into-darkness, that will be fine with me.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #827 on: July 12, 2015, 09:30:08 PM

I'll take either over the prequels.

And I kind of liked the prequels.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: July 12, 2015, 09:36:10 PM

They're still focusing on mining nostalgia for the original trilogy rather than giving us any indication what they might be doing that's new and original beyond having a round droid.  As such I am still suspicious that this will basically be Star Wars: Into Darkness.  But at least the actual craft looks good.

I don't think it will be for two reasons:

1) Damon Lindledof isn't associated with this in any way.
2) Disney seems to know how to handle this shit. See MCU.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: July 13, 2015, 04:29:27 AM

Ayup.  It won't be as good as the first three, but better than the prequels.  I am looking forward to all the SW movies Disney cares to put out.  And I'm sure there will be a lot of them.  Just never could get into any of the animated series, the movies are canon to me.  I just hope the fan service isn't too strong, that kind of stuff used to delight me, now it's a bit too much winking into the camera.  Just tell good SW stories with great actions.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: July 13, 2015, 06:40:45 AM

No Lindlehof is unqualified good news.

But I remain nervous that only JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasden seem to have writing credits. Kasden's record is mixed and he was brought in late after Michael Arndt left the project.

I remain convinced that the writing credit is the single best advance indicator of the quality of any given film. This one says Abrams with a few Kasden edits.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: July 13, 2015, 06:52:16 AM

No Lindlehof is unqualified good news.

But I remain nervous that only JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasden seem to have writing credits. Kasden's record is mixed and he was brought in late after Michael Arndt left the project.

I remain convinced that the writing credit is the single best advance indicator of the quality of any given film. This one says Abrams with a few Kasden edits.

Kasdan may have a mixed writing record but he also wrote the Empire Strikes Back and at that time he was having to fight George Lucas.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: July 13, 2015, 07:50:23 AM

What's mixed about Kasdan's scripts? Generally good writing, good plotting, fun dialogue with an appropriate amount of genre-cheese to it. Dreamcatcher kind of sucked but I think that was probably Stephen King's meddling.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #833 on: July 13, 2015, 08:49:56 AM

I don't enjoy Kasdan's Romantic Comedies generally, As Good as it Gets being the sole exception there. However, reviewing his action stuff I enjoyed it all, even that terrible Wyatt Earp movie with Kostner had good action setup and plot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: July 13, 2015, 11:50:42 AM

Yeah, though the other Wyatt Earp film is much more fun and full of cheese. (I strongly suspect Costner himself was a big drag on everything after Dances With Wolves--droopy masculine pretention shot through everything he did for the next five years, until Tin Cup.)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: July 13, 2015, 01:57:46 PM

Kasdan wrote my favorite western; Silverado.  He also wrote, I think, The Big Chill which was a bit of a baby boomer wank fest.  Waa we're becoming middle aged, quick more self involvement!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: July 13, 2015, 03:32:24 PM

I don't enjoy Kasdan's Romantic Comedies generally, As Good as it Gets being the sole exception there. However, reviewing his action stuff I enjoyed it all, even that terrible Wyatt Earp movie with Kostner had good action setup and plot.

As Good as it Gets is a really good film, but it was written by Mark Andrus.

Kasdan's credits:

2012 Darling Companion (written by)
 2003 Dreamcatcher (screenplay)
 1999 Mumford (written by)
 1996 Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Video Game) (story)
 1994 Wyatt Earp (written by)
 1992 The Bodyguard (written by)
 1991 Grand Canyon (written by)
 1989 Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation (Video)
 1988 The Accidental Tourist (screenplay)
 1985 Silverado (written by)
 1983 The Big Chill (written by)
 1983 Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (screenplay)
 1981 Body Heat (written by)
 1981 Continental Divide (written by)
 1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark (screenplay)
 1980 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (screenplay)

There is some pretty great stuff, but it tails off dramatically after 1985.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:41:39 PM by eldaec »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: July 13, 2015, 03:41:18 PM

Also, he is 66 and has written one movie in the last decade.

My guess he has a nice life on Raiders and Star Wars royalties at this point, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if his role on episode 7 is more as a consultant to Abrams' writing.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #838 on: July 13, 2015, 04:34:05 PM

As Good as it Gets is a really good film, but it was written by Mark Andrus.

Huh. I was going off the listing on Google so I wonder what his role there was. Should have gone with IMDB!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #839 on: August 16, 2015, 09:38:24 AM

Disney's version of Blizz/ Comic con going on this weekend so lots of new info has been coming around. The first poster made an appearance but it's only a D23 'commemorative'
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/15/d23-2015-new-star-wars-the-force-awakens-poster-revealed

It shows Finn (the black guy in Stormtrooper armor) wielding a Lightsaber, so we appear to have our new Luke.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: