Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 308150 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: November 30, 2014, 05:42:17 PM

Dunno why this won't embed.

http://i.imgur.com/MVhkmQa.gifv

I thought that looked much better than the spinning version in the teaser
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: November 30, 2014, 08:38:44 PM

Yeah, I liked that version a lot better.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: November 30, 2014, 08:47:38 PM

TO be honest I thought the Camera shake and spinning around that Abrams likes was a lot more nauseating than the lens flares in star trek

Anyway I think the focus on the Sword is latent guilt. Darth blackguy had that double bladed sword that was frankly daft and stupid looking, yet the nerds went squee as it was Star wars. Now they want to erase that memory by hating on THIS stupid looking sword.

Hic sunt dracones.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: November 30, 2014, 08:52:53 PM

I disagree with the double saber being stupid.  Staff fighting goes back a long, long way and all Maul was using was a staff mostly made up of lasers at either end.  Of all the stupid things in the prequels, Maul and his laser staff fighting was the least stupid.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:45:09 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: November 30, 2014, 08:59:35 PM

The internet is so hung up on this saber thing.  Maybe the Sith created his own saber and thought 'Flames out the sides would be bitchin' cool."

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #530 on: December 01, 2014, 08:07:44 AM

All lightsabers are DIY.  There's not some factory out there mass-producing the things.  /nerd

I forget where I heard it mentioned, but there is a conspicuous lack of "stars" in this "Star Wars".  Everything in the teaser takes place on some planet or other.  Wonder if that's a stylistic choice for the trailer, or if there won't be much space action in the film.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:27 AM

Well, the spirit of unfun grumpiness is clearly already awake, I see.

I have no idea whether this will suck or not. I am amused by the way it reliably elicits a feeling of hating just about everything in all the world from some folks, where I have a hard time figuring out what on earth they have ever enjoyed or thought worthy of their approval.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:54 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:16 AM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #534 on: December 01, 2014, 09:02:46 AM

I have a hard time figuring out what on earth they have ever enjoyed or thought worthy of their approval.

Star Wars 7: if you don't like it, you don't like anything, because it is the BEST THING EVER PRODUCED BY A HUMAN.

Fucking Be There.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:40 AM

You know, as much as we evoke that one it never ceases to remind me how utterly, utterly opposite of 'Fucking Be There' I Am Legend turned out to be.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:50 AM

All lightsabers are DIY.  There's not some factory out there mass-producing the things.  /nerd

I forget where I heard it mentioned, but there is a conspicuous lack of "stars" in this "Star Wars".  Everything in the teaser takes place on some planet or other.  Wonder if that's a stylistic choice for the trailer, or if there won't be much space action in the film.

Stars are few and far between in all the films. Excluding simple transitions between planets there is generally only 1 space based sequence per film.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:16 AM

That's rubbish;  Both NH and ESB had a lot more than 1.  By Jedi, it was getting toned down, but you could still make an argument for 'Lots of Stars'.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: December 01, 2014, 10:17:34 AM

Stars are few and far between in all the films. Excluding simple transitions between planets there is generally only 1 space based sequence per film.

I think it's particularly noticeable here because there are X-Wings, and the Falcon fighting TIE fighters, but they are both in atmosphere.  One would expect to see those things in space most of the time.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:26 AM

Eh, look, the prequels sucked, and of course nothing can stand up to attention and adoration at the levels Star Wars the originals have received. Nobody will ever be 13 again watching an Imperial Star Destroyer go on and on and on as it chases a Rebel freighter. The love some people feel isn't about the craft of the first film, it's just that it was a kind of "jump to lightspeed" for anyone who was of the right age at the right moment who had read SF and comics.

But the general mood here isn't just about Star Wars lately--it's everything. I really am having a hard time figuring out what it is that some people like, if anything.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: December 01, 2014, 11:40:08 AM

Take those scenes of the x-wings and Falcon and put them in space.  Are they anywhere near as cool?  It's being able to interact with their surroundings that spruces them up.

(And that makes the stabilized version of the Falcon far better than the teaser shot.  You're able to actual see it.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #541 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:54 AM

Eh, look, the prequels sucked

Why do you hate everything?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: December 01, 2014, 11:50:39 AM

Where have I seen this before?  Oh yeah, yesterday on the previous page.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Over and out.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:33 PM

But the general mood here isn't just about Star Wars lately--it's everything. I really am having a hard time figuring out what it is that some people like, if anything.
There isn't much to talk about when you like something. "Did you see/play this? It was good." is about as far as that discussion goes.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #544 on: December 01, 2014, 12:40:32 PM

That is why Facebook has a button for likes but allows unlimited space for comments.  Or something.

I have never played WoW.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #545 on: December 01, 2014, 12:52:54 PM

So you're saying we should implement a Like system on f13?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: December 01, 2014, 01:05:43 PM

Why implement something that would never get used.

awesome, for real

And the prequels did suck.  I didn't realize this was a subject for debate.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #547 on: December 01, 2014, 01:11:50 PM

"The pod race was pretty cool." -Some guy
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: December 01, 2014, 01:23:28 PM

I really am having a hard time figuring out what it is that some people like, if anything.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.  Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens.  Brown paper packages tied up with strings.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: December 01, 2014, 01:23:37 PM

We could just use upvote gifs.

Semi-NSFW
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:32:03 PM by Trippy »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: December 01, 2014, 01:37:11 PM

I like boobies.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: December 01, 2014, 02:09:41 PM

Eh, look, the prequels sucked, and of course nothing can stand up to attention and adoration at the levels Star Wars the originals have received. Nobody will ever be 13 again watching an Imperial Star Destroyer go on and on and on as it chases a Rebel freighter. The love some people feel isn't about the craft of the first film, it's just that it was a kind of "jump to lightspeed" for anyone who was of the right age at the right moment who had read SF and comics.

You're probably conflating a lot of different users, while perhaps not seeing as many of the minor threads where they express likes. Also the site promotes criticism; unless people are currently mid game enjoying something (see shadow of mordor) they tend to be critical. Doesn't mean there's no pleasure going on.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #552 on: December 01, 2014, 02:16:45 PM

I try to only hurt the things I love.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #553 on: December 01, 2014, 02:54:45 PM

awesome, for real

Plenty of kids enjoyed them. You remember kids, right? Like the kind of person who ignores all the contrivances and plot holes that put two teens up against their dad who's THE WORST guy in the galaxy. But it's cool because they have Space magic to help them fight and a totally bitchin' cool older guy with a hot rod who's into the sister, even though she's 15 years younger.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: December 01, 2014, 03:47:57 PM

That's rubbish;  Both NH and ESB had a lot more than 1.  By Jedi, it was getting toned down, but you could still make an argument for 'Lots of Stars'.

ESB has the falcon in the asteroid belt and what else am I missing?

NH has "that's no moon" "don't get cocky kid" and "let's blow this thing and go home" but I don't think any of the others have that much.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: December 01, 2014, 03:53:11 PM

awesome, for real

Plenty of kids enjoyed them. You remember kids, right? Like the kind of person who ignores all the contrivances and plot holes that put two teens up against their dad who's THE WORST guy in the galaxy. But it's cool because they have Space magic to help them fight and a totally bitchin' cool older guy with a hot rod who's into the sister, even though she's 15 years younger.

Yep, it is fair to say they are  kids films,  which is why they feature dismemberment, torture, mass murder of children, tax disputes, and kids retrieving their father's severed head.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: December 01, 2014, 03:56:44 PM

No idea if t his will share properly and it's too big for imgur

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #557 on: December 01, 2014, 03:59:51 PM

There isn't much to talk about when you like something. "Did you see/play this? It was good." is about as far as that discussion goes.

I disagree. I think it's much more interesting to read someone articulating why they like something beyond just their initial emotional reaction. It's also a lot harder to do than just explaining why something sucks, and I think in a lot of cases people are reluctant to spend a lot of time thinking about why they like something out of fear of diminishing it somehow.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #558 on: December 01, 2014, 04:02:29 PM

NSFW reason: language.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #559 on: December 01, 2014, 04:08:07 PM

You know, as much as we evoke that one it never ceases to remind me how utterly, utterly opposite of 'Fucking Be There' I Am Legend turned out to be.

I Am Legend was better than 4 of the previous 6 Star Wars movies. Onward to page 100 or some shit for this though.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: