Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 302324 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: May 03, 2014, 12:28:50 PM

Yeah, they laid it on a little heavy with making Anakin kill a bunch of children with no remorse. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: May 03, 2014, 05:24:13 PM

He killed younglings, no children. Durr, don't be such a nerfherder.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: May 03, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

Every Abrams movie I have seen was shit.  The TV stint was also shit.  Stop giving him money.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: May 04, 2014, 04:37:34 AM

Oh I can see it's going to be fun waiting for this movie to come out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: May 04, 2014, 05:06:30 AM

I'm going to be passing the time by grafting sabers to my elbows.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #215 on: May 04, 2014, 09:07:45 PM

Just your elbows?  Think of all the great fanfiction waiting to happen.  Or probably already has, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be the one to look it up.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: May 05, 2014, 01:57:18 PM

Every Abrams movie I have seen was shit.  The TV stint was also shit.  Stop giving him money.

Both Star Trek movies were better than any Star Trek movie previously made. Except for maybe Khan and the Whale movie.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: May 05, 2014, 03:15:05 PM

I'm going to be passing the time by grafting sabers to my elbows.
Think of the whores, man!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #218 on: May 05, 2014, 05:21:03 PM

As for picking out those scenes, kids aren't as fragile as the west coast continually believes.  Some are, but they hide their faces.

Come again? I assure you Sam doesn't speak for the entire west coast.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: May 08, 2014, 01:41:01 AM

That's not what his business card says.

WayAbvPar

Reply #220 on: May 14, 2014, 09:27:16 AM

I am really looking forward to seeing this with my son. He will be right about the same age I was when I saw the original in 1977. Of course, he already knows most of the characters from video games and such, so it won't be quite the sense of wonderment, but he is going to love it. I hope it is watchable for me too.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: May 14, 2014, 09:52:42 AM

As long as it has...

- Battles happening in space (ones that don't look like super high res fake video games).
- An evil, evil man with a British accent doing evil things possibly also with a fancier-than-average lightsaber.
- People getting thrown the fuck around by the Force.  Maybe a lightning bolt and a mind trick or two.
- Witty banter aboard the Falcon.
- BELIEVABLE ACTING.
- Plot that is only sorta pants-on-head.

Then it will be watchable.  It'll be better than the prequels by simple virtue of not having George directing the thing and overdoing the CGI and green screens.

That's my guess.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #222 on: May 14, 2014, 11:46:56 AM

I hope they lay the fuck off the lightning. Its a really boring thing when everyone uses it all the time. A fight where lightning is being used tends to devolve into an anime/comic two colored beam tug of war fight. Less of that please.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: May 14, 2014, 02:21:07 PM

Also, the lightning always lands on the saber.  I always wondered why.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: May 14, 2014, 02:23:02 PM

Because the Jedi looks ahead in time a bit and sees where the lightening is going to arc.

Christ, I know nothing about Star Wars and I knew that.  Turn in your card.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: May 14, 2014, 02:24:23 PM

Nope, watch it again.  Dracula doesn't even move the damn sword.  He just stands there.  It's like they're shooting AT THE SABRE.

It's kinda silly.

Also, when Palpatine did it, shit went all over the place.  ALL OVER LIKE RED HOT SPOOGE.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: May 14, 2014, 02:37:10 PM

I assumed force lightning generates a positive charge and lightsabres carry negative charge.

But I too, could live without it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: May 14, 2014, 04:38:38 PM

Lightning is composed of electrons though, so it's all negative charge arcing through the air.  Lightsabers would have to be proton blades under that theory.  "Eat x-rays, bitch!"

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: May 14, 2014, 04:47:18 PM

Trying to apply physics to Star Wars seems like a fool's errand.

Over and out.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #229 on: May 14, 2014, 04:51:45 PM

Who's the more foolish, the fool applying physics to Star Wars, or the fool who argues with him?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #230 on: May 14, 2014, 04:57:24 PM

I just figured it was some D&D type thing where there's some "lightning rod" spell that sufficiently high level Jedis learn as a hard counter to the "lightning bolt" spell.  Because after having that be part of the exciting climax to Jedi it was important to completely trivialize and ruin it in the prequels.  Shame Yoda didn't get around to teaching Luke how to block it or he could have just stood there smirking at the Emperor.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: May 14, 2014, 05:01:27 PM

Well, Yoda did warn Luke that is training was incomplete.  The next lesson would have been to catch evil lightning in his hands.

Over and out.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: May 14, 2014, 05:13:27 PM

Nope, watch it again.  Dracula doesn't even move the damn sword.  He just stands there.  It's like they're shooting AT THE SABRE.

It's kinda silly.

Also, when Palpatine did it, shit went all over the place.  ALL OVER LIKE RED HOT SPOOGE.

LOL, I concede on this point alone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: May 14, 2014, 07:41:26 PM

UNLIMITED POWER!!!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: May 15, 2014, 12:07:09 AM

Lightning is composed of electrons though, so it's all negative charge arcing through the air.  Lightsabers would have to be proton blades under that theory.  "Eat x-rays, bitch!"

Based on the similarity between force lightning and actual lightning it is more likely that the lighting user is generating a positive charge that sucks electrons up. In which case the sabre would carry a negative charge.

That was what I assumed was happening, and worked for me as a rationalisation of why Jedi and Sith don't just lightning bolt each other all the damn time.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: May 15, 2014, 12:16:43 AM

It should also probably be considered the ultimate display of Force mastery, and something the good guys would shy away from.  Something that only a guy like Palps would, or even could, use against someone.  And it shouldn't be casually blocked by a saber in any event, that just makes it meaningless.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: May 15, 2014, 12:47:06 AM

It smacks of "oh crap, when don't the dark side people just zap jedi with this stuff all the time."  I always thought that Yoda and the Emperor didn't have lightsabers because they were so strong a pitiful little laser sword was pointless.  But in the end Episode 2 (I just threw up typing the words "Episode 2..." oh god it happened again) we for learn it's actually the exact opposite when Yoda and Dooku need to fight with lightsabers.  I hate that scene so much. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: May 15, 2014, 02:41:03 AM

One of the huge problems with Star Wars is that there is so much of it but so little of it is good, so everything that is good has to become a high-tier concept. If one guy does a cool thing in a movie that cool thing has to later be given a name, show up in games, show up in books....if there is a cool robot in the background of a scene later on that robot has to have a backstory, be part of some alien robot race, etc. "Bounty Hunter" and "Smuggler" have to be playable classes in an MMO.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: May 15, 2014, 08:36:31 AM

One of the huge problems with Star Wars is that there is so much of it but so little of it is good, so everything that is good has to become a high-tier concept. If one guy does a cool thing in a movie that cool thing has to later be given a name, show up in games, show up in books....if there is a cool robot in the background of a scene later on that robot has to have a backstory, be part of some alien robot race, etc. "Bounty Hunter" and "Smuggler" have to be playable classes in an MMO.

Exactly, Boba Fett isn't just come guy in armor trying to make a buck collecting bounties, he's from an ancient RACE of warriors and bounty hunters, wearing the tradiional armor of his spartan like people. 

Everything, EVERYTHING outside the original movies is a terrible fan fiction nightmare.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: May 15, 2014, 09:10:17 AM

Exactly, Boba Fett isn't just come guy in armor trying to make a buck collecting bounties, he's from an ancient RACE of warriors and bounty hunters, wearing the tradiional armor of his spartan like people. 

lol.  You kinda missed the point, I think.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #240 on: May 15, 2014, 09:18:37 AM

Everything, EVERYTHING outside the original movies is a terrible fan fiction nightmare.

Mandalorians weren't a race, more like a culture. There were members of various species. I'm too ashamed to put this in bigger font.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:51 AM

Maybe I worded it wrong but what I mean is even the whole mandalorian thing isn't actually in the movies, it's more ridiculous backstory that is not needed, just agreeing with margalis.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: May 15, 2014, 09:52:01 AM

But it's canon now, since Mandalore was in the Clone Wars cartoon.   why so serious?

Over and out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:11 AM

Maybe I worded it wrong but what I mean is even the whole mandalorian thing isn't actually in the movies, it's more ridiculous backstory that is not needed, just agreeing with margalis.

Aha, I see.  The wording threw me off.  In which case, I missed your point entirely !   IRONY!!!

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: May 15, 2014, 11:16:52 AM

In his autobiography, Christopher Lee makes it damn clear without saying so because lawyers that he HATED those movies and he hated being in them. And he said that Lucas "knew exactly what he wanted" which you know meant that he thought Lucas was utter shit.

So him standing there "blocking" was probably him in "O.k. I'll stand here like you want because I really don't give a fuck, you ass" mode.

Nope, watch it again.  Dracula doesn't even move the damn sword.  He just stands there.  It's like they're shooting AT THE SABRE.

It's kinda silly.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:21:48 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: