Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Help? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help?  (Read 5164 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: March 03, 2005, 09:58:56 PM

I just went and saw Constantine, and as much as I hate Reeves, I couldn't help but like the show. Someone mentioned it was a comic book to begin with, and it interested me. So...what I need to know is what else should I look for? I've never owned a single comic book, so I'm really at a loss as to where to go with this interest.

I like horror type story lines as well as "bad guy is good guy" stuff. Not big into japanese artwork unless you know something thats ridiculously spectacular. The big eyeballs weird me out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:20:53 PM

Constantine is based on the DC comic Hellblazer (although as with most comic book movies some elements were changed).  While I've haven't read too many issues yet, you've got good sized runs from Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, and Brian Azzarello so it would be hard to go wrong picking up a tpb.  Sounds like you might want to try out some of DC's other comics from the Vertigo imprint as well.  In particular Lucifer, Preacher, Walking Dead, and Hellboy, among others might be a good place to start if you're mostly looking for horror or the supernatural.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:22:17 PM

I've wondered, how is the Hellboy comic compared to the movie? I thought the movie was at the most base level, entertaining - but there was obviously so much more to the characters that the concentrate a movie spoon feeds you couldn't possibly say enough.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 10:33:04 PM

So as not to overwhelm you with a list of titles, I'll just recommend Original Sins (where most of the series starts off) and Dangerous Habits (written by Garth Ennis...Though not the creator of Hellblazer, I'd still say that he's the final word on it).

Original Sins (Hellblazer, Book 1)

Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits

Also, if you happen to like the Ennis stuff, then get Preacher. I can't express that enough. Totally opened up my mind as to what has changed since I gave up on comics when I was a kid. There's just so much good stuff out there nowadays, just as good as any other form of literature and storytelling. And it's not all superheroes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:38:25 PM

Also, if you happen to like the Ennis stuff, then get Preacher. I can't express that enough. Totally opened up my mind as to what has changed since I gave up on comics when I was a kid. There's just so much good stuff out there nowadays, just as good as any other form of literature and storytelling. And it's not all superheroes.

I'd agree. For my money, Transmet did that, but Preacher rocks. Ennis seems to be the final word on a great many things these days. I'm getting into Hellblazer this coming week, so I love forward to the responses over the rest of the weekend.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:47:18 PM

The Hellboy comic is a lot different than the movie.  For the movie they had to create some normal human characters, force in a romanctic sub-plot between Hellboy and Liz, and they crammed bits and pieces of almost every story arc in.  A lot of the humor in the movie was kind of forced too.  The comic book has a much different pacing and feel to it, and tends to be more focused on Hellboy investigating various supernatural cases with hints to his background and purpose occasionally thrown in.  It's really good stuff, although not for everbody.  I agree that the movie was average at best, but the comic is a completely different experience.  The online comic at playboy.com (which is just one of the stories from the comic) gives a good example of what Hellboy is like though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 08:17:30 AM

The Hellboy comic is great, and I liked the movie too. You cannot go wrong with Hellboy comics, as Mike Mignola's artwork is just fantastic (IMO). That is especially true when it's in service to a story like Hellboy.

The Hellblazer comic is better than the movie, and I liked the Constantine movie. I really recommend reading the early stuff, as Jamie Delano's run on the book is really strong. But as others have said, Garth Ennis's run is really the best written. Ennis really came into his own when Steve Dillion became the artist on the book, because those two just work so well together. That's part of why Preacher is so damn good too.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 06:29:24 PM

Thanks fellas. Guess I'll be settin foot in the local comic store for the first time.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Help?  
Jump to: