Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 382375 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1750 on: January 21, 2015, 12:03:46 PM

If Belichick is smarter and better at cheating, then why is he the one that keeps getting caught at it?  Head scratch

Selection bias.  If he's cheating so much, then why is he still a coach in the NFL?  That's the better question. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1751 on: January 21, 2015, 12:05:59 PM

Or maybe he just cheats so much more than the rest that it increases his odds of getting caught awesome, for real
WayAbvPar

Reply #1752 on: January 21, 2015, 12:07:23 PM

If Belichick is smarter and better at cheating, then why is he the one that keeps getting caught at it?  Head scratch

Selection bias.  If he's cheating so much, then why is he still a coach in the NFL?  That's the better question. 

That is the question we are asking. That and if everyone else is also cheating, why aren't they being punished for it?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1753 on: January 21, 2015, 12:08:46 PM

Because the punishments being handed out aren't nearly enough of a deterrent?

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1754 on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:30 PM

There's getting away with stuff as a player and then there's systematically violating the rules from the coaches on down. Big gap there.

Are you really this fired up about the whole ball pressure thing or do you just hate Belichick that much? I'm guessing the latter.  Coaches have been looking for ways to gain an advantage since humans have been competing in sport.  It's the nature of competition... particularly when large sums of money are involved.

I don't like Belichick, but I was actually in favor of him winning over the Seahawks since I don't like repeats. But now? Fuck him. Telling me that everyone's cheating reeks of the same shit that was going in baseball with drugs. Fuck those guys too, and fuck the guys who think competition means breaking the rules on a team level. Because you know damn well if it comes to light, fans turn on that kind of stuff faster than a guy beating his wife, kids, etc.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1755 on: January 21, 2015, 12:30:57 PM

I said exactly this earlier. 

NFL fans care far more about the product than they do the process.  That's the root of the issue. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1756 on: January 21, 2015, 12:58:26 PM

NFL fans care far more about the product than they do the process.  That's the root of the issue. 

Consumers in general barely give a shit about the process in anything. What makes you think the NFL would be special? As long as the slacks cost $20, tons of people don't care who died in China to make them.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1757 on: January 21, 2015, 01:33:43 PM

If Belichek gets caught cheating, I'm not sure why he would be allowed to coach the Super Bowl. Or why he wouldn't get the same treatment Sean Payton did with Bountygate? Suspend him for a year.

He won't, and you know he won't but still... it the NFL gave two shits about real accountability, that's what would happen.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1758 on: January 21, 2015, 01:37:53 PM

Kraft is one of the owners that came to Gooddell's defense outspokenly. There's zero way the league is burning that team. Which is why it's such horseshit.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: January 21, 2015, 01:38:04 PM

I said exactly this earlier. 

But if the NFL doesn't take a hard line against cheating when it's found out, it'll undermine at least the perception of the product.  Maybe not right now about this particular instance of cheating, but it's a slippery slope if the NFL just let's this kind of thing slide.

Over and out.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1760 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:24 PM

Apparently it was also controversial that John Fox referred to Jay Cutler as 'Jake'.  Slow news day.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1761 on: January 21, 2015, 02:11:15 PM

Still find it odd that ALL 11 of those balls were 2psi less, each. When? I could see sneaking air out on the sideline, but 2 lbs from each ball like clockwork? and with the amount of cameras in an NFL stadium and on that big of a venue, when could this have happened?

Just odd in the frequency and uniformity and timing of it. And really... Colts got crushed on both sides of the ball.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1762 on: January 21, 2015, 05:01:40 PM

Still find it odd that ALL 11 of those balls were 2psi less, each. When? I could see sneaking air out on the sideline, but 2 lbs from each ball like clockwork? and with the amount of cameras in an NFL stadium and on that big of a venue, when could this have happened?

Just odd in the frequency and uniformity and timing of it. And really... Colts got crushed on both sides of the ball.

This. It inclines me to think that the gauge the refs used to check the balls before the game was somehow faulty.

Or why he wouldn't get the same treatment Sean Payton did with Bountygate? Suspend him for a year.

Bountygate was a wee bit more serious and significant (also potentially true) than ballghazi.

As other people have said, the perfect punishment (if indeed there was cheating) would be to make Belichek coach the pro bowl  awesome, for real

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1763 on: January 21, 2015, 05:04:38 PM

Make him coach the pro-bowl, and his team has to win or he doesn't get to coach the Super Bowl.

Record ratings for the pro-bowl.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1764 on: January 21, 2015, 05:29:52 PM

My understanding is this:  Each team brings 12 balls to the game.  2.5 hours before kickoff they give them to the NFL (refs) who test the balls.  THEN the refs give the balls back to each team.  I think I see a problem here.

Also Tom Brady likes softer balls , while Rodgers likes them very firm.  So 11 of the 12 balls were under-inflated, which, again, Tom Brady likes.  Soft balls.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1765 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

Last I checked, some no-name from (would you ever guess this?) Indianapolis posted something about this on twitter. Since then, there has been nothing official. Did something change in the interim? Or is this more of the usual Paelos "I swear Romo is actually good you guys" flerp-derpery?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1766 on: January 21, 2015, 06:45:39 PM

My understanding is this:  Each team brings 12 balls to the game.  2.5 hours before kickoff they give them to the NFL (refs) who test the balls.  THEN the refs give the balls back to each team.  I think I see a problem here.

Also Tom Brady likes softer balls , while Rodgers likes them very firm.  So 11 of the 12 balls were under-inflated, which, again, Tom Brady likes.  Soft balls.

Not the team, but a ball attendant who is an official I believe. Quoted from here:

Former NFL official Jim Daopoulos, in an interview with ESPN on Monday morning, explained the process in which footballs are managed. Two hours and 15 minutes before each game, officials inspect 12 footballs from each team and put a mark on them to indicate they meet the proper requirements and are good for usage. Then those footballs are given to the ball attendant.

There also is a second set of six footballs, used specifically for the kicking game, that are marked appropriately and remain in the possession of officials at all times.

"Officials check balls as they go into the game, and if the ball doesn't feel perfect, they can throw it out," Daopoulos said. "There is always the possibility that balls can lose air due to the conditions."

This article is a bit more on the HOW part.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1767 on: January 21, 2015, 06:56:27 PM

It still seems silly as fuck that this is even a thing.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1768 on: January 21, 2015, 06:58:43 PM

From the second link:

A person with intimate knowledge of the process told USA TODAY Sports the ball attendant is a uniformed official – generally the same person each week at a given stadium – who comes to the locker room to pick up the balls and takes them to the officials' locker room for testing.

The ball attendant delivers the balls to the ball boys – usually four provided by the home team and two traveling with the visiting team – who make sure their quarterback's preferred balls get into the game, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly.

*shrug

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1769 on: January 21, 2015, 07:37:36 PM

Last I checked, some no-name from (would you ever guess this?) Indianapolis posted something about this on twitter. Since then, there has been nothing official. Did something change in the interim? Or is this more of the usual Paelos "I swear Romo is actually good you guys" flerp-derpery?

ESPN ran with it.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

"Flerp-derpery"?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1770 on: January 21, 2015, 08:27:19 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1771 on: January 21, 2015, 10:57:20 PM

ESPN ran with it.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

"Flerp-derpery"?

And you did read the article, right?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1772 on: January 22, 2015, 04:51:03 AM

I did. The NFL doesn't have to confirm the facts yet for ESPN to feel they could run with it, especially since they have sources inside the NFL.

With how tied ESPN is to the NFL it would be monumentally stupid on their part to run with a story that's fabricated and not cross-checked. They often break things long before the teams release them. There is a story that the Falcons have already chosen their coach in Dan Quinn, but they haven't confirmed it yet.

EDIT: I mean do you remember the Ray Rice thing? The NFL still won't confirm they saw the tapes. They are liars. You have to drag stories out of these people, and way most of them come out is anonymous sources.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:55:57 AM by Paelos »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1773 on: January 22, 2015, 10:35:19 AM

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1774 on: January 25, 2015, 03:16:42 PM

Looks like Josh Gordon has failed yet another drug test, this time for alcohol.  Due to his DUI conviction, he was barred from consuming alcohol. 

I don't know what's wrong with these people.  I haven't had a drink in about 15 years, not because I was a raging alcoholic, but I because just decided not to drink and I've never used drugs.  Its not fucking hard.  If he has a substance abuse problem he should have gone into rehab or something.  What a fucking retard to waste so much talent on shit like drugs and alcohol.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2341986-josh-gordon-faces-1-year-ban-for-failed-drug-test-latest-details-and-reaction?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1775 on: January 25, 2015, 03:21:38 PM

Looks like Josh Gordon has failed yet another drug test, this time for alcohol.  Due to his DUI conviction, he was barred from consuming alcohol. 

I don't know what's wrong with these people.  I haven't had a drink in about 15 years, not because I was a raging alcoholic, but I because just decided not to drink and I've never used drugs.  Its not fucking hard.  If he has a substance abuse problem he should have gone into rehab or something.  What a fucking retard to waste so much talent on shit like drugs and alcohol.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2341986-josh-gordon-faces-1-year-ban-for-failed-drug-test-latest-details-and-reaction?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin

How do you even test positive for alcohol? I mean FFS...

Browns were going to get rid of him anyway so this seems like the perfect grounds for divorce. Oh well... Browns were going to be drafting a WR anyway, might as well get two this year and a QB next.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1776 on: January 25, 2015, 03:56:04 PM

If he'd admitted the problem and gone to rehab, the team wouldn't be able to get rid of him. If he was willing to get help.

But this? It's just easier to fire an unrepentant substance abuser. Nobody likes them.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1777 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:16 AM

I see based on my turning on Mike and Mike this morning that I should probably just fucking avoid any US sports media in the next week so as to not hear about Tom Brady's balls ad infinitum.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1778 on: January 26, 2015, 09:06:04 AM

The week leading up the Super Bowl is the absolute worst in sports. The worst. Nothing else matters. Nevermind that basketball is playing, or that hockey is on, or whatever. It's all just ridiculous shit story lines and dumb questions about the Super Bowl.

And this one is getting blown up even more because so many people hate both teams.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1779 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:56 AM

This year it seems even worse cause it's all about the balls.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1780 on: January 26, 2015, 09:45:32 AM

So, what does everyone think about Tom Brady's feelings being hurt because everyone was talking so publicly about his balls?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1781 on: January 26, 2015, 10:22:49 AM

I'd he think he'd be more upset that his coach threw him under the bus.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1782 on: January 26, 2015, 10:25:31 AM

Or that he got caught. Because I don't care what kind of misdirection the team tries to do, the balls aren't all deflated except one because of external conditions. That's frankly insulting.

And yes, the only guy that would ask for that would be Tom Brady. And you know what? If it was so obvious a guy on defense noticed, you damn well know the QB would. And if he didn't like it he would tell Billy the ball boy to get his shit together and go inflate the ball.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1783 on: January 26, 2015, 10:29:33 AM

I'm past the point (well ok, I was pretty much immediately past the point) of taking this seriously.  Now it's just all jokes about balls.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1784 on: January 26, 2015, 10:40:06 AM

This has been the worst Super Bowl news cycle I can recall.  Yes, Ray Lewis, please give us your passionate condemnation of the impropriety of Tom Brady's balls, you fucking murderer.  Please, let's get EVERYONE'S perspective on this, including every living soul at the Pro Bowl.

My son: "Dad, aren't you excited for the Pro Bowl??!!!!" (he's 5)
Me: "Not real(wife glare).... Yes, this should be quite the display of skill"

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:41:48 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: