Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 01:14:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 385321 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: August 11, 2014, 05:59:47 PM

I love these two white bread guys rapping.  Mannings are awesome. Also great to see Chris Johnson before his NFL exit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #491 on: August 11, 2014, 08:49:22 PM

The Mannings really are a couple of goobers, but they are likeable goobers. Namath macking on somebody's mom though... yeah, that was creepy.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: August 14, 2014, 06:18:13 PM

WR runs into a DB, that'll be a penalty on the defense for illegal contact.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #493 on: August 15, 2014, 09:12:28 AM

You were watching the Bears game too huh?

There were what? 47 flags thrown.
I'm sure it will die down after preseason, because receivers will abuse the shit out of that if all the have to do is run straight in to the db at 7 yards.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #494 on: August 15, 2014, 09:32:50 AM

Yeah that flag on the DB was ridiculous. He's standing there and a guy makes contact with him. That's a flag now.

The fucking NFL is basically turning into the arena league. It's not going to be fun to watch unless they fix that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: August 15, 2014, 09:34:43 AM

Yeah, I watched the first half. There were some pretty uninspiring penalties called on both sides.

On the plus side, the Bears o-line in pass protection looked unreal, and I'm liking what I see fro Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #496 on: August 15, 2014, 10:16:26 AM

There was a third down sack where they gave the Jags a first down on illegal contact on the other side of the field for the guy running into the DB.

That was when I realized, if they do that in real games, people are going to fucking flip. There will be calls for changes. The NFL doesn't know how bad this is yet because they haven't really been paying attention.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #497 on: August 15, 2014, 12:07:23 PM

I don't think it's that they aren't paying attention. I think it's actually that they really truly believe audiences love high-scoring passing attacks so much, they won't mind all the Mickey Mouse penalties they are going to be seeing. They are wrong. The first 4-6 games of the season are likely to be a fucking horror show.

WayAbvPar

Reply #498 on: August 15, 2014, 12:44:55 PM

Nothing says fun like seeing a big play and then getting to see a penalty take it back. Over and over and over again. If I wanted to watch mostly white old men make speeches to the camera all day I would be tuning in to C-SPAN instead of an NFL game.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ynotgolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:20 PM

There were 86 penalties for 702 yards in four preseason games league-wide Friday. That included a total of 32 penalties for 295 yards in the Titans-Saints game and 21 penalties for 169 yards in the Eagles-Patriots game.  Shockingly, WAP, the Seahawks-Chargers game had the fewest of the night, "only" 15 penalties. 

Rest easy Eric Dickerson, no one will ever break 2000 yards rushing in the new NFL.

Anyone not drafting Megatron #1 overall in their PPR FFL this year is wrong.
WayAbvPar

Reply #500 on: August 17, 2014, 10:52:21 PM

I think my tweet Friday night summed it up pretty well-

Hey (illegal contact) @nfl, we (illegal contact) Get it. Is this (illegal contact) the product you want to (illegal contact) sell to us?

It is borderline unwatchable right now.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #501 on: August 18, 2014, 06:15:37 AM

I agree, I've been telling this to my friends who haven't seen it.

There's no way this can go live. It's like a bad beta test.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: August 18, 2014, 07:14:30 AM

The replacement refs were better than flag football

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #503 on: August 18, 2014, 04:25:37 PM

Early-onset 49ers panic is starting to set in locally as the team's 3rd stringers continue to underperform in preseason games against other teams' 3rd stringers.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #504 on: August 18, 2014, 04:32:14 PM

Early-onset 49ers panic is starting to set in locally as the team's 3rd stringers continue to underperform in preseason games against other teams' 3rd stringers.  why so serious?

I'm picking yall to miss the playoffs this year, but that's unrelated to the preseason stuff.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: August 18, 2014, 10:47:57 PM

It is in my DNA to want the Niners to fail, so that probably colors my opinion on the matter.  That said, preseason games don't matter.

Except sometimes they do as a full body of work.  Losing the games probably means nothing.  Getting annihilated means something if it happens 3 or 4 times.  Not time to panic yet, probably, but if it happens again in game 3, then it might be pants shitting time. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #506 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:44 PM

RG3 is not going to last the season.  He has no idea how to run and not get himself murdered.

-Rasix
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: August 18, 2014, 11:03:33 PM

That game was a shitshow. The best QB play came from the third stringers.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: August 19, 2014, 03:07:53 AM

Connor Shaw for week 1 Browns QB!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #509 on: August 19, 2014, 08:33:15 AM

Oh Johnny Football. Did ESPN pay you to flip off the Skins bench, just so they'd have more fucking reason to talk endlessly about you?

Christ, I hope the kid gets benched simply so the only shit they can talk about all goddamn year is when is it Johnny Football's time?

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: August 19, 2014, 08:35:48 AM

why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #511 on: August 19, 2014, 09:51:19 AM

Apt. They will both be unemployed in sports in the next four years.

Tebow is a horrible announcer btw. Awful. He needs to focus full time on that if he wants to keep his job there.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #512 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:38 AM

Oh Johnny Football. Did ESPN pay you to flip off the Skins bench, just so they'd have more fucking reason to talk endlessly about you?

Christ, I hope the kid gets benched simply so the only shit they can talk about all goddamn year is when is it Johnny Football's time?

No. Emphatically. That story is so tired it is now more unwelcomed than the 40 required illegal contact penalties a game trend. Every fucking year I have to hear about stupid QB issues with the Browns benching a player everyone in the nation wants to see. Just play him and let him fall on his face. If he picks himself up, great. If not then at least we'll know early. The QB carousel is maddening already, as is the coaching one. I don't want to put up with every sports news outlet reporting how he is NOT starting this week and why... Just get it over with early and fall back on the age old excuse, he just didn't work out.

Really wonder how the Browns can employ scouts anymore... they obviously don't do their job so why spend the coin?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #513 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:07 AM

They should start Connor Shaw. That would really get the meter moving.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #514 on: August 20, 2014, 06:05:36 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2168370-nfl-reportedly-asking-potential-super-bowl-halftime-acts-to-pay-to-perform

The National Football League knows the publicity associated with performing during the Super Bowl halftime show. Now it apparently wants to get compensated by the group or artist for the opportunity to become the featured act.

Guess the NFL is hurting for $$$ these days.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #515 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:09 AM

Oh browns, never change.  Heart

EDIT: By that I mean they named Hoyer the starter, apparently Johnny doesn't want to stay late or show up early, and Connor Shaw is in the background actually making throws.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:34:58 AM by Paelos »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #516 on: August 20, 2014, 09:57:34 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2168370-nfl-reportedly-asking-potential-super-bowl-halftime-acts-to-pay-to-perform

The National Football League knows the publicity associated with performing during the Super Bowl halftime show. Now it apparently wants to get compensated by the group or artist for the opportunity to become the featured act.

Guess the NFL is hurting for $$$ these days.  Ohhhhh, I see.

PIKA? THE FUCK?

The NFL is quickly rising up my list of "too greedy to be allowed the privilege of my patronage" outfits. That's just a fucking idiotic thing to do if true.

WayAbvPar

Reply #517 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:54 AM

I just love that they want people to bid for the opportunity to play in the background while everyone is taking a piss/getting more beer/checking their pools.

Rasix

Reply #518 on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:57 AM

PUPPY BOWL!!!!

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #519 on: August 20, 2014, 01:49:24 PM

I just love that they want people to bid for the opportunity to play in the background while everyone is taking a piss/getting more beer/checking their pools.
Apparently more people watched (tuned into) this year's halftime show (Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers) than watched the game itself. 115.3 million viewers compared to 112.2 million.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nfl-super-bowl-rihanna-coldplay-katy-perry-20140819
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: August 20, 2014, 01:51:46 PM

Honestly this is the final straw for me probably. The NFL takes greedy sports ownership to a transcendent level compared to even the other major sports. Continuing to try to find ever-more egregious ways to line their pockets at the cost of the people providing the actual entertainment - I'm out.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #521 on: August 20, 2014, 01:51:52 PM

The NFL hubris case just keeps building. They are going to be in ruins in 30 years. There's just no way this doesn't turn into a decline and fall of the Roman Empire type story.

EDIT - I can honestly say this is starting to affect whether or not I ever bother watching anymore. There's more than enough college football for me to watch that I enjoy. I'm not enough of an NFL fan to put up with this, and the fact the Cowboys are horrendous, anymore.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: August 20, 2014, 01:57:13 PM

There's more than enough college football for me to watch that I enjoy.

The NFL is arguably the good guy when you compare it to the NCAA
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: August 20, 2014, 02:05:39 PM

The NCAA is likely to not exist in its current form relatively soon in the future, and there are all sorts of social and familial bonds for me around college football that don't exist for the NFL. I could no sooner walk away from Cal football than I could walk away from, say, going to Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's.

Rasix

Reply #524 on: August 20, 2014, 02:13:57 PM

Team performance makes it a bit easier to walk away from Arizona football.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: