Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 374348 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: February 10, 2014, 06:03:30 AM

I'm sure its all over sports 'news' but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EVb_Sx5d2j0

Michael Sam is gay.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:15:52 AM

Smart move by him. It was going to take a player that wasn't already a projected first rounder to do this. I hope it works out in his favor, and the NFL doesn't do something really stupid.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:11:01 AM

What is his projected draft position.  Will be really interesting to see where he lands.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:11:50 AM

They are saying he was somewhere between a 3rd and a 5th rounder. My guess is he will drop.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:46:15 AM

They are saying he was somewhere between a 3rd and a 5th rounder. My guess is he will drop.

I think the reverse. I think he's guaranteed to be a 4th rounder minimum now. That's why it's a smart move. The NFL shield will go out of it's way to prove they aren't homophobic in the public eye.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:54 AM

It's going to change the equation a bit; he's generally seen as undersized for an NFL DE, but he could transition well to OLB. So it will require a team that has both a need at OLB, and a willingness to absorb some of the inevitable drama for him to be drafted. That aside, teams would seem stupid to pass up on him, by all accounts he's a phenomenal talent with a great work ethic, and it is notable that he came out to his teammates back in August, and there was no visible effect on his performance, or the performance of the team. I think that was a smart move, because he can point to the fact that his college locker room didn't give two shits, and went on to have a great season, so why should an NFL locker room be any different?

I guess some GMs and owners will balk at the idea of a black gay man but it will never come out, since there's a million reasons why any given team wouldn't draft a given player.

I think he's done this well, and the reaction from around the league seems pretty damn positive; so here's hoping he goes somewhere in the 3rd or 4th.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 07:55:21 AM

I think he would be a great pickup in the late 4th round for a team on the West Coast like SF or Seattle to provide some depth and give them some outs when it comes to FA contract deals in the next 2 years. Plus culturally I think the fanbases would support the kid.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:03:55 AM

San Diego might be in the market for an OLB, and that'd be a pretty safe place to land. Pats would seem like another team where the culture could easily absorb this sort of thing.

Probably wouldn't push him towards Miami though...

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:16 AM

Drew Magary continues to make me  why so serious?

It wouldn't be that brave to draft Sam. Not in 2014, when most people, even the conservative ones, can't be bothered to stew over another human being's sexuality. It would take nothing to pull the trigger and wait patiently for the story to settle down, just as the Chargers did with Manti Te'o a year ago. Te'o is now a solid building block on a promising team, and the fact that he used to fuck a ghost has been beaten thoroughly down into the ground now. Everything fades eventually. But many NFL GMs regard a gay player as some kind of superhuman perpetual distraction machine, as if Sam will run out onto the field every week with a miniature Ferris Wheel dangling from his cock.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:31 AM

I think this pick would be a bit riskier.  All it takes is one superstar demanding a separate locker room and the whole thing explodes. 

Sadly, homophobia is alive and well in sports just as in the military. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 12:20:24 PM

No superstar is going to risk that right now. The risks to your endorsements for being outed as a homophobic asshole are worse than being outed as a homosexual.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:14 PM

No superstar is going to risk that right now. The risks to your endorsements for being outed as a homophobic asshole are worse than being outed as a homosexual.

Can you really say that with the amount of stupid fucking bullshit that athletes do?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:33 PM

Sadly, he could be a big distraction for a team with the media hounding him about how the team is treating his sexuality.

Who cares if he sucks a dick, can he football.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:52:56 PM

Can you really say that with the amount of stupid fucking bullshit that athletes do?

Call it wishful thinking that these guys are mercenaries first, and bigots second.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:56 PM

I think the hype from the media about the possibile confrontations will far eclipse the number of players who care at all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 03:58:52 PM

From looking at him and the way he plays I would assume that most players would be afraid that he would stick their head up their ass if they gave him much shit.  That guy is pretty much a badass.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:03 PM

I think the hype from the media about the possibile confrontations will far eclipse the number of players who care at all.

I think there will be more coaches, GM's and owners who will give a shit than players.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:34:12 PM

And then if that team ends up on Hard Knocks...

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 04:38:26 PM

I think there will be more coaches, GM's and owners who will give a shit than players.

I think the fans are the group that will be the biggest problem, myself.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 09:39:31 PM

Scouts, too.  I think most people under 40 don't really care about this anymore but most of the people in positions of power in the NFL are over 50 and come from a different generation.  I think, and hope, 10-20 years from now something like this won't even be worth a mention.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 07:37:42 AM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10435830/cleveland-browns-overhaul-front-office-name-ray-farmer-new-gm

Haslam announced that CEO Joe Banner would leave the organization in two months and that general manager Mike Lombardi also is leaving.

Ray Farmer was promoted to GM effective immediately, with Alec Scheiner taking over as president. Farmer and Scheiner, along with recently hired coach Mike Pettine, will report directly to Haslam.

Because the Browns couldn't stop at just the coach.  why so serious?

But in all seriousness, this is a fairly good sign that things may turn around, new HC, new GM, 3 picks in the first 35... ok fine, they are still the Browns - so they'll trade their picks for Johnny Football who won't last through the preseason. cry

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 08:54:10 AM

The Browns have had 3 head coaches and 3 GMs in 470 days.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:26 AM

Burning everything to the ground and starting over isn't a bad choice for them.  But they need to actually let the new team do their job for a few seasons before cleaning house again.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 09:32:13 AM

Burning everything to the ground and starting over isn't a bad choice for them.  But they need to actually let the new team do their job for a few seasons before cleaning house again.

Again, it's Cleveland. They will give them like 12 games to perform a miracle.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 10:27:50 AM

I think the reverse. I think he's guaranteed to be a 4th rounder minimum now. That's why it's a smart move. The NFL shield will go out of it's way to prove they aren't homophobic in the public eye.

No. Because each team can say "someone else will draft him". Additionally teams who are actually professional about the matter might have a reasonable expectation that other teams will pass. By the same logic, even if all the teams are actually professional about the matter, each team might have the belief that the other teams are not and thus delay their drafting.

I still think that its a good move by him. If he wants to go to an organization which doesn't have those types of issues (and its clear some organizations do) then he wants to make it as clear as possible, even if it lowers his draft position, that he is gay.
WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 10:31:05 AM

How can they possibly know what the latest casualties could do? They didn't have anything resembling a chance to remake the roster before they got shitcanned. That is terrible management/ownership. Give them 3 or 4 years minimum.  Even a coach should get 2 or 3 years minimum.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 10:36:25 AM

How can they possibly know what the latest casualties could do? They didn't have anything resembling a chance to remake the roster before they got shitcanned. That is terrible management/ownership. Give them 3 or 4 years minimum.  Even a coach should get 2 or 3 years minimum.

That's just how we roll in Cleveburg. We are the farm city for every major sport save hockey. Come get some resume filler and then go win stuff elsewhere.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Well to be fair we canned Mora after a single Season. But we did give Carrol a two losing seasons in a row to get his shit together.
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:12 PM

I thought that was a really shitty deal Mora got. Basically it was because Carroll was getting out of town before all the sanctions came down at USC and he was available immediately. Mora deserved better.

So, Haslam is just a fucking moron. Banner and Lombardi are probably secretly relieved to not be working for him any longer. Owners need to shut the fuck up and let their football people do football things. Sign the checks, make the public appearances, and let the experts do what they do. If they fail to produce after a reasonable period, then make a change. If you are going to interfere, don't bother hiring GMs and CEOS- install yourself so even the plebes will know who to blame.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 12:55:35 PM

Well Banner was kind of a shitweasel whose only real accomplishment was dumping Richardson on Indy and stealing their 1st rounder...  and Lombardi was and always will be a joke in Cleveland after the Belichick episode.

I like the Farmer move now. No idea if I'll like it again in May. At least Ray relies on scouting players rather than some napkin math ah la Lombardi.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 02:39:19 PM

Haslam sounds like a wannabe Jerry Jones dickbag. Anybody that might in any way think Schiano is an acceptable candidate as a NFL head coach should be slapped.

Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 04:02:31 PM

As a ...fan... of the Browns, we'll take anything at this point. Banner was kinda thrown on Haslam before he knew better, so I'll let him slide on that. Only thing I am really leery about is Pettine. Hoping for a diamond in the rough thing here, but see above ..Browns..fan... we do stupid shit, like hope.

At least you can say the GM and HC look like they can go down on Sunday and suit up if need be.  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:14 PM

No. Because each team can say "someone else will draft him". Additionally teams who are actually professional about the matter might have a reasonable expectation that other teams will pass. By the same logic, even if all the teams are actually professional about the matter, each team might have the belief that the other teams are not and thus delay their drafting.

I still think that its a good move by him. If he wants to go to an organization which doesn't have those types of issues (and its clear some organizations do) then he wants to make it as clear as possible, even if it lowers his draft position, that he is gay.

I disagree because I don't put it past Goodell to rig the system with a nice under the table kickback of some kind to the team that takes the plunge.

WayAbvPar

Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:18 PM

I disagree because I don't put it past Goodell to rig the system with a nice under the table kickback of some kind to the team that takes the plunge.

Will he also supply the lube?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 04:53:10 PM

I'm sure that will be under the table too.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: