Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Dungeon Keeper 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Keeper  (Read 20556 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: February 05, 2014, 12:25:04 PM

Probably by now some of you have heard the angst about this new release (and if not, start here).  I finally got around to downloading it, and yeah, for someone who adored DK 1 and 2, it's fucking weird having to wait 2-4 hours to clear one square of your dungeon.

But then, that's the point of this game: it's by and large a really, really nice F2P cash shop conversion of Dungeon Keeper.  As if it was blessed by Zynga itself!  Could you play without paying any cash?  Absolutely.  Just don't expect to get a ton of shit done in a single sit-down session.

The guild feature is interesting though.  And I like how I can play on my tablet at home and keep working on my dungeon on my phone while I'm out delivering pizzas.

Anyone else take a stab at this yet?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:10:39 PM

I'm playing. i haven't got to build the Guild HQ, but that looks like it's on the schedule for next week. I'm having a shit ton of fun with this.

(You should also look us up on Clash of Clans if you're playing that. Check the thread.)

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:02:23 PM

I gave it a shot a month ago or something like that.  I was playing through the tutorial (which seemed awfully long) when my internet went out (as it does frequently) and the entire game just hung.  Tried it again later, played a few minutes, internet went out again, game hung again.  Uninstalled.

Maybe the always online requirements make more sense after you clear the tutorial, but I never made it that far, and for the part I played, it felt like a pointless annoyance in what was basically a single player game.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:23:51 PM

The tutorial does cram a lot into the start.  Having played DK 1 or 2 helps a bunch, since its pretty much a copy/paste.

The multiplayer aspect comes into motion in raiding other people's places and defending yours, a la Clash of Clans.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:31:01 AM

I feel like there's a up and coming Tomagachi trend lately (at least this and Star Wars) where you just open the game, press a few buttons and close it for a few hours (unless you pay).  I'm not really enjoying these at all, I'd rather a game let me do something significant in a 5-10 minute session than to spend 1 minute planning for something significant to happen while I'm "afk"
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:14:04 PM

Well it certainly isn't for everyone, but it works for me. I get to set shit to build during the day, and at night I can do my raiding till I run out of cash or patience with losing. If you're treating it as a purely underground house builder, yeah, you're gonna get bored.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 12:27:21 PM

I feel like there's a up and coming Tomagachi trend lately (at least this and Star Wars) where you just open the game, press a few buttons and close it for a few hours (unless you pay).  I'm not really enjoying these at all, I'd rather a game let me do something significant in a 5-10 minute session than to spend 1 minute planning for something significant to happen while I'm "afk"
The time-based cockblocking has been around in "casual" games for a while now. Zynga games, for example, were notorious for this sort of thing (they also had currency and social cockblocks as well). EA is actually late to the party for this sort of thing.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 04:26:22 PM

This is shameful shit.  Never pay EA.

Never

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:00:46 PM by Pezzle »
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 06:51:30 PM

I'll add my voice to the chorus of disapproval.

However, it got me itching to play Dungeon Keeper again, and I discovered an engine redo: Dungeon Keeper FX

http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk_keeperfx.php

Hooray!  (original disk required, or some fiddling to make it work with GOG)

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:48:06 AM

You know, it's weird, I never liked the actual original game that much, just the idea of it. Or at least that's what I remember. Did it have a sandbox mode when it first came out? I remember that it didn't and that irritated the fuck out of me. The sequel did, though, I know that much.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05:22 AM

GOG is giving the original away for free this weekend.  Requests are getting hammered though.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 03:05:47 PM

We have a Bat Country here yet?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:57:36 PM

Not yet, I don't think...was gonna make it as soon as I got my guild hall online.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 05:03:55 PM

You aren't allowed.

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 05:36:10 PM

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:08 AM

Bat Country up and running. Red tear on black background. Public join, so feel free to hop in.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 05:41:05 PM

I'm in.  Guess its by dungeon name and not name-name.  I'm Anvil.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 08:04:15 PM

Ah, awesome.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 11:31:31 AM

I gave this a whirl but the interface and constant microtrans begging pissed me off so I deleted it.  The stench of EA hung too heavy on it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 12:51:13 PM

I gave this a whirl but the interface and constant microtrans begging pissed me off so I deleted it.  The stench of EA hung too heavy on it.

Part of me thinks they'll make some positive improvements in the coming weeks as downloads decline and they perhaps learn the errors of their ways.  Having played this before ever playing Clash of Clans, I find Clash to me much more friendlier in QoL and gameplay.  I Heart the DK franchise too much to give up completely on this yet.

Another part of me hears the first and says "yeah, they'll either improve, or just shut it down due to not being anywhere near The Simpsons Tapped Out, which was EA's #1 revenue game last year."

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 04:01:03 PM

I haven't spent a dime on it, and I'm havin a blast. Once you get past the tutorial, the begging goes away. The only thing that really bothers me about the game is the range wizards have. There also seems to be a neat bug that lets them squeak halfway into a block, giving them another space of attack. Fucked me up a couple times. Otherwise, it's no worse than Clash of Clans as far as money stuff goes. It's also easier in this one to get gems simply by digging.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 11:29:00 PM

I like that you get to pick what minions go in your guild house. That's a nice advantage over Clash of Clans. Also leveling up the guild to get perks is pretty sweet.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 05:22:23 PM

Highly recommend trying to get to a lvl 5 heart as soon as you can.  The mines can be upgraded to lvl 8, which brings a great deal more money per hour along with having to check in less often.

Also, don't spend your gems on anything other than expanding your imp crew.  For every imp you get, you double the duration of the 2x speed they work at per slap.  With 4 in my crew, I only have to slap them every 2 hours.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 02:02:02 AM

Yeah I still haven't got there yet. Saw one guide that recommended staying at H3 and leveling everything up, but a single ghost will wreck your shit. Shifty fuckers.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 07:11:34 PM

New update.  Reinforced walls are no longer invincible.  In exchange, you can build a hell of a lot more of them, and upgrade them.  

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 03:43:51 PM

You can also haul your guild minions into attack a la Clans.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 10:36:25 PM

This update has baroquen my ability to attack on my phone. Tablet works fine, but if I try and attack on my phone I get disconnected bout halfway through the hit. Annoying as hell. New changes are working out pretty cool though.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 05:19:45 AM

Joined bc.Fun game this and the Simpson's have trapped me at home this weekend.Highly addictive
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 04:54:29 PM

The wall changes are nice, but they need to take the next step and nerf Bomb Wall to just kerploding 1x1 squares instead of 3x3 when upgraded.  

Also, the ability to unclaim mines would be nice.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:57:12 PM by luckton »

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 07:49:04 PM

Have a pretty solid mid level dungeon now. I can beat the survival raids with ease and thats a quick 500k stone n gold. Most folks cant hurt me too bad without spending gems which is comical. The loot differance between this and Clash is really apparent. I dont have to spend near so much time to gather the same amount of loot here, whereas in Clash, I dont have cash to keep my builders going. Still like both games, just liking this one more.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 12:09:05 PM

Awesome update. Guild wars coming soon, now have league loot bonus which is actually a sizeable amount, (as oppose to Clash's measly offering) and you get gem awards for beating opponents on revenge attacks, as well as a ten gem bonus per day for a full ten win streak. This is almost no longer a pay to win game. The new changes are pretty great.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 05:43:53 PM

The wall changes are nice, but they need to take the next step and nerf Bomb Wall to just kerploding 1x1 squares instead of 3x3 when upgraded.  

Also, the ability to unclaim mines would be nice.

I just made a new dungeon with only two mines claimed and that's all I'll ever claim, largely because of 3x3 Bomb Wall making it almost impossible to defend all of them.  Having no issue getting enough resources so far.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 01:17:48 AM

If yer not in bat country yet, look us up.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 08:27:59 AM

I'm in and joined the clan, can't recall my dungeon name right now.  Any tips on building a dungeon that doesn't get instasmashed by every raid?

Why don't you try our other games?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 08:55:36 AM

If yer not in bat country yet, look us up.

I'm in it twice. ;)

Coruscant and Chimera

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Dungeon Keeper  
Jump to: