Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332570 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: September 20, 2014, 08:20:22 AM

I let my claim lapse, and it turned out "packing up" is an amusing concept especially when a building crosses a claim boundary.

Oh well, I have the base smithy building and the tower was crap anyways, so I can recreate my little camp when I need to.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #841 on: September 29, 2014, 07:55:39 AM

So what's the story about that Omeed guy, who I thought was adorable, and his sudden exodus from SOE?  He was the gabby one, right?  I liked him!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: September 29, 2014, 11:45:41 AM

Supposedly some differences with his superiors. Here's his response
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:36 PM

Anyone still playing this? 66% off in Steam for the next two days.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:51:02 PM by Mithas »
schild
Administrator

Reply #844 on: October 19, 2014, 11:18:46 PM

Wife and I bought this because of the Steam sale. It's nothing more than a fucking trainwreck that is a year or more out from release.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #845 on: October 20, 2014, 09:36:51 AM

I got a month out of it but no real urge to return.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:55 AM

I got whatever the $20 tier was when the beta started.  I still get in and dink around a while.  It's not even close to a game yet, but there's stuff to do if you like building stuff and it can be fun just wandering around looking at the stuff people can make using the difficult and frustrating tools (they have been getting better) currently implemented.  They also have extended claim maintenance to 30 days, but the number of days you can prepay is determined by how long you have been paying maintenance.  The list below is the current progression.  The patch notes say that Accounts that existed as of the September 25th patch will start at the 15 day level.  The day count doesn't reset if you let the time run out on your claim(s). 
When you’re just starting out, the cap is five days.
Once you’ve spent those 5 days, your cap will increase to 7 days.
After 15 days, the cap increases to 10 days.
After 30 days, the cap increases to 15 days.
After 50 days, the cap increases to 20 days.
After 80 days, the cap increases to 25 days.
Finally, after 120 days, cap will max at 30 days. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #847 on: October 20, 2014, 01:00:50 PM

It's like they just want people who don't login every day to fuck right off.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:12 PM

That was my take on it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: October 20, 2014, 01:34:32 PM

It's like they just want people who don't login every day to fuck right off.

My guess is they don't want people who aren't actually using their plots actively to be able to just login to claim something.  It certainly is hostile to the "I want to play your game one a week or so" type audience.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: October 20, 2014, 01:54:25 PM

UO taught us why public building spaces is HARD.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: October 20, 2014, 06:26:29 PM

Trove is a better minecraft-like, and they solved the space problem.  Now that's not to say it's way better, but one I'm logging in to and the other I'm not...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #852 on: October 20, 2014, 06:30:25 PM

Trove requires another platform.

Fuck that.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: October 20, 2014, 11:19:17 PM

The mixed reviews for this just make me wish ArcheAge had better house decoration/customization.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #854 on: October 21, 2014, 11:31:13 AM

I haven't logged in for two months, at least.  Maybe four.  I really did think I was also buying into EQ Next and was very disappointed when I found out I wasn't.  I swear they made it sound as if I was!  I'm not even entirely sure there IS an EQ Next now. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:51 AM

I'm still waiting for the real game to drop some news.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:27 PM

Trove requires another platform.

Fuck that.
While I agree we need more publisher platforms like we need more ants; Rift is a good f2p implementation of mmo for a quick fix. Having Trove on its launcher is a nice bonus, and the game is decent. Way better than Cube World.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: December 12, 2014, 02:15:19 PM

Big update coming on the 15th, if things work out. Best additions are the deeper cave systems that should have all the tiers of ore now, mobs to fight, crafting changes, salvaging, underground teleport system, and linking and triggering for builders. Supposedly there's graveyards that you can resurrect at too, but that link doesn't list them, so who knows.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: December 12, 2014, 02:31:02 PM

In theory it also opens up the leyline network for quicker movement to nodal hubs and islands with more interesting less square shapes towards a more natural looking setup.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: December 12, 2014, 06:20:37 PM

As one of the people who WAS active playing this, I feel like I should be the one to step forward and say something negative about this, because this to me is possibly the worst decision ever forcing a bunch of untested systems all into the live environment at the same time. The downtime that the thread is warning about is 2-48 hrs... WTF? There is no conceivable possibility this will go smoothly, and with the number of issues ALREADY, this is extremely worrying to me.

I REALLY liked building for a creative outlet and for fun, then they changed the key-bindings all around, made LOD/texture changes that screwed lower end machines, and busted the tools over and over. I found a great deal of comfort/relaxation just mindlessly harvesting trees, but ever since the introduction of combat (Aug) there have been multiple abhorrent breaks in what USED TO BE smooth harvesting. I like chatting and organizing with people, and WAS running a pretty large guild and friends list of contacts that has been randomly clearing people, making me unable to chat, moving my chat tabs or window sizes, and making communication nearly impossible.

The game's bugs were completely ignored the past month (even went as far as saying that during one Landmark Live episode)... They never seem to see bugs or forum posts about HUGE issues, let alone work a "known issues" or reasonable tracking database.. and continue to cram MORE buggy stuff into this. Their forum is a MESS, and severely ignored asset and they continue to lean on social media combined with "hype". I totally understand it's "beta" but this is hardly what I'd call encouraging, especially with how they keep inviting more people to come be frustrated and see what a potential for greatness wrapped in messy code looks like.

They had to disable gravity damage/death because of porting issues, which now drop you infinitely THROUGH THE WORLD, which still happens 70% of time porting. My machine actually starts overheating now because of a new texture drawing bug where the textures swap completely, along with when I'm under the world's bottom in fog and seeing the flashing water/sky/underground barrier (which has happened to me and reported/forum'ed SINCE JUNE).

My advice to anyone NOT wanting to be frustrated to at least wait until mid week next week to watch the wreckage from a safe distance. Right now this is only for extreme testers, and I myself haven't logged in because it's such a buggy mess. Definitely only subject yourself to it if you're truly Masochistic like me (futile bug submissions w/ computer overheating), or still hope that someday this game will be coded and community built to be playable. I think right now this has become more hype machine than game, and more bug riddled mess than can be coded back to a playable state for even their MOST devoted testers.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: December 14, 2014, 07:41:21 PM

Yep, looks like it got delayed until Wednesday.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:46 AM

I expect its going to be pretty rocky but it is still closed beta so stuff like this is not unexpected. Hell a lot of closed betas only are open a few days of the week the fact they have been 7 days a week since alpha is pretty impressive. This is a huge pack of changes to all land at once so its going to be interesting to see how rough this is going to be for them but at least it finally puts them into what their actually intended for their island and resource model.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: December 16, 2014, 07:47:01 PM

Are the mobs spawns that you can place, or just annoyances when you're trying to do your thing?
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: December 16, 2014, 11:37:57 PM

Annoyances, and probably ones that are non mobile since pathing AI isn't something they were doing yet. They annoncued downtime to begin at 1pm Pacific, and according to what was tweeted don't expect servers back till noon Thurs. Also LandmarkLive Thurs morning (10am pacific) but this all could also change again, again. Also not looking like the fixes and additional downtime will be worked in before week end, so in all the wreckage and forum wailing should be epic in scale.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: December 17, 2014, 08:15:12 AM

Actually I am not sure in one of the tweets they were talking about pathing going live with this patch which would indicate some of their mobile critters are coming in at the same time as the non mobile ones. We shall see. I was on a bit last night just resetting up my claim and decorating a giant xmas tree. Seems like they fixed at least a good chunk of the frame rate issues I was having previously as I am back up to around where I was before caves were added. A few of the super microvoxel heavy buildings get a bit of a FPS dip but don't totally crater me like they did last time I logged in a few months ago.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: December 17, 2014, 07:12:00 PM

Patch notes are here, whole lotta reading. Servers are down now for the update, not sure when it's coming back up but I imagine sometime tomorrow at the earliest.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: December 18, 2014, 08:06:09 AM

Well it looks like they have some goblin looking thing so at least that likely has to do some pathing so we shall see how it can handle people making trenches prior to pulling.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:42 AM

Patch notes are here, whole lotta reading. Servers are down now for the update, not sure when it's coming back up but I imagine sometime tomorrow at the earliest.

So is this game now playable for people who have limited ability interest in using the building tools?
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: December 18, 2014, 08:49:52 AM

They have added in a bunch of starter templates for folks to use for a lot of basic stuff like columns arcs disks and things of that nature. It really is not to hard to put together something that looks interesting. I have been making some caves and grottos on my claim again and its dead simple to do with the sphere deletion tool and the new smoothing tools to make really nice pretty natural looking cave systems.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: December 18, 2014, 11:50:45 AM

So is this game now playable for people who have limited ability interest in using the building tools?

Watching their Landmark show right now, it's very much cave delving in very large, Moria sized cave systems, with plenty of creatures to kill and get things from. Mobs actually have pathing too which surprised me. Also lots of ruins within caves to explore that were created by players over the past few weeks. Creatures seem to have a large loot list as well, from gear to recipes, resources, etc.

Since they had to remove cave surface entrances temporarily, you can get to the caves either by digging randomly, or more conveniently use the large Teleporter to go to the underground hubs.

It's still pretty basic, and may even only last a few hours for some, but I'd say it's worth logging in and checking things out as it's no longer purely about building and exploring/gathering. Go try out smacking some mobs and see if you can get the new weapons/gear sets.

Oh, and there's still no ETA when the servers will come back up. Probably tomorrow as they've talked about some new/still occurring issues on the show.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #870 on: December 18, 2014, 06:51:43 PM

I watched the show too and the most important thing for me was the much awaited "linking & triggering". You can craft your own switches, mechanisms, and the likes.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: December 18, 2014, 07:07:59 PM

The emitters are drops only from caves.

Also looks like the entire harvesting has changed, upgraded tools are all worthless if what I'm seeing is correct, and honestly the changes of materials and salvaging are NOT what people asked for. I seriously don't get a lot of this, and I highly doubt after playing I'll see any actual fixes, and have the game's stability be shot to hell this whole weekend (that's if it doesn't melt my computer STILL).

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: December 19, 2014, 08:02:33 AM

I watched the show too and the most important thing for me was the much awaited "linking & triggering". You can craft your own switches, mechanisms, and the likes.

Yup that allows for some really interesting stuff on claims.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: December 19, 2014, 12:36:36 PM

Almost 48 hours into their 24 hour maintenance window.  I'm almost expecting that when they finally do announce that the servers are up that they will also be announcing a complete wipe caused by unforeseen circumstances.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:14 PM

they missed the deadline by 17 minutes, but the servers are now up.

Edit: Played about 2 hours, started digging down for about 10 minutes before I found any tunnels. The surface layer seems a lot thicker now with the addition of the other layers, as you are notified when you enter the different layered tiers. Had fun fighting mobs, keeping mobile is paramount. Found some broken items, emitters, new armour pieces, a recipe and a bunch of shards that you use for crafting now. Took a long while before I came upon one of the large caverns with ruins inside. Those have a lot of mobs congregated together, but the servers were going down then so I didn't get to check out much beyond that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:48:18 PM by Bhazrak »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: