Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332667 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: August 16, 2014, 09:34:54 AM

Did they compensate the creators with anything besides 'promotion'? It sounds like SOE's getting the best end of the deal.

Don't think so, but they've always been open about what they're doing.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: August 16, 2014, 01:34:08 PM

The winners of the Dark Elf contest got a code for an iron portcullis prop.   It allows you to add a working portcullis to your builds.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: August 16, 2014, 04:48:51 PM

Did they compensate the creators with anything besides 'promotion'? It sounds like SOE's getting the best end of the deal.

That's been the whole point all along smiley

Watched most of the panel. It's good they're talking about Next again. I'm curious. Won't reup Landmark anytime soon, but more due to lack of time than interest. I'm sure they've leveled out some of the daily check in shit that chased me away months ago.

I won't predict whether Next/Landmark will be the next big thing. I actually think MMOs as a thing have run their course. If there's a future of games with the level of depth or breadth of the earlier titles, it'll be in the model SOE is trying: made by players for players on a platform funded by both.

But only if they're successful.

I don't know if they will be. But I think this is probably one of the most important experiments happening in gaming these days.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: August 19, 2014, 02:19:02 PM

I am curious how well the PVP stuff in landmark will be seen. Basically you can make your own battle grounds that your insane brains can think up to fight people over. Once the fight is over and winner is announced any damage done just auto heals and ready for the next one.

It is nice to see that if you are making a sandbox game that you give people some fun toys to play with in the sand box. This is old school lego type stuff build some crazy thing and then get some friends together to break it.

Also while the two button combat sounds simple if eventually they work it like the combo system DCUO uses you can wind up with an amazing amount of stuff you can do with just those two buttons and given the more limited amounts of powers it allows them to potentially crap out a ton of weapons/power sets constantly good way to test concepts and ideas of powers for eq next in a tightly focused way.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #809 on: August 20, 2014, 01:12:52 PM

Combat footage! (Around 2:00 minutes)

EDIT: The PvP combat part starts around minute 5:00.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:20:57 PM by Falconeer »

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: August 21, 2014, 05:08:54 AM

Yeh, so combat will go live next week, along with death. Falling death is supposed to go live, along with the Pvp battlefield system. The only fighting initially will be consensual PvP, which will be set up with a "game table" on people's claims. No mobs or AI, yet, and probably not for a couple of weeks. Also coming are mover type platforms, teleporters and spring loaded "flingers" that throw people from one spot to another..

Also, next week we're each getting two additional attached claims, making the build-able plots 2 main and 5 attaches...

This with the 15 days upkeep and combat gonna make any of you come back? If you want into my guild, let me know.. So far, from F13 are Morat, Pennilenko and Tmon, but if you guys want a big group to test combat with then you'll have that with me and my gang.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: August 21, 2014, 06:37:58 AM

I'll want in if I ever log in again.  Falling damage is a huge turn-off though, and I don't give a shit about PvP.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #812 on: August 21, 2014, 07:39:36 AM

I won't ever be back in, and would sell off my account if I'd had the forethought to not link it to my SOE account.

The supposed purpose was to use this as a funnel for content that would be used in EQ Next, not a paid alpha of the EQ Next engine with microtransactions, limited buildability, maintenance, PVP and monsters to worry about.

This should be Minecraft creative mode and they're turning it in to hardcore survival mode instead.  Way to know your audience.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:15 AM

I am 100% with Merusk on this, except I would be mildly interested in returning if I didn't need to worry about upkeep. I left when they launched it was 5 days, but:

This with the 15 days upkeep and combat gonna make any of you come back?

What is the upkeep cost these days and how long does it take to gather whatever the cost is? And is there a way to pay real $ instead of X hours gathering Y resources*? 15 days might be something I could do if it meant I could keep a claim upon which I could play Minecraft creative mode.

* Not that I'm paying that anytime before it's considered done, just curious their philosophy.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #814 on: August 21, 2014, 08:46:08 AM

Falling damage would be okay if this were EQ Next.  For Landmark, however, it'll just be a pain in the butt.  It's a gathering/building game.  PvP?  I still don't get the why and what-for concerning this.  I am more and more sorry that I contributed money for Landmark.  I really did thing it was for both Landmark and EQN.  I don't know what sort of thing they're trying to make anymore.  It's confusing. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: August 21, 2014, 08:46:17 AM

Upkeep is 300 copper per day per plot.  It takes about 15 minutes to harvest enough copper to fully pay my 'rent' for two plots for 15 days.  If you don't want to dig you can buy bundles of copper for station cash.  You get 10k copper for 99 soe coins and 50k for 499.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:50:44 AM by Tmon »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

People constantly forget the fact that they have said that they want landmark to be more than just a building sandbox. All the way back to the first interviews and videos they have been discussing combat, pvp, monsters, adventure item crafting. Their plan has always been to have much more than digging and building. They have been pretty repetitive about telling people about adding health and falling damage.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: August 21, 2014, 09:56:22 AM

Doesn't make it not dumb.  They are already making a whole extra game just for those things.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: August 21, 2014, 10:06:57 AM

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I knew all that was coming and therefore don't begrudge SOE for it. Even back in April when I left it wasn't a ragequit. It was that they deployed the portions of the game I knew were coming and they weren't what I was interested in then.

Similar with Minecraft for me. It was interesting when it first got into public alpha, but I only really got into it once I could deploy my own creative mode server. SOE is basically launching Minecraft in a way any large company would: just enough tools in a controlled environment they own, in a rush to squeeze money in every possible way for the shareholders. Very much NOT some free open source like emergent engine built by the love of a geek.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm not there for the PvP and do remember thinking fall damage in this engine and using grappling hook travel would feel like a pita. Watching the EQ Next videos makes me realize I'm not even interested in that portion much either.

But all that aside, upkeep sounds cheap enough I might give it a shot again once Divinity runs its course.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: August 21, 2014, 10:15:02 AM

They can discuss plans all they want.  I just don't like falling damage.  In any game.  It's more fun if you can take that shortcut and jump off the building or cliff without dying.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:08 AM

They can discuss plans all they want.  I just don't like falling damage.  In any game.  It's more fun if you can take that shortcut and jump off the building or cliff without dying.

But without falling damage the Z axis is not meaningful.  why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #821 on: August 21, 2014, 10:42:17 AM

I think there should be a way to turn off falling damage on your plot - like a builder mode.

What's really kept me from logging in is harvesting. I want to build. Having to spend half an hour or an hour of my precious game time digging a fucking hole just so I can spend an hour or two a day to build is really tiring. Harvesting is not fun. And no, I do not want to pay actual money to circumvent that. I may log back in when PVP comes up as it does sound kind of fun. I'm just not sure I have the stomach to harvest upkeep on plots when the harvesting is so drop dead boring.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #822 on: August 21, 2014, 10:50:19 AM

Doesn't make it not dumb.  They are already making a whole extra game just for those things.

Exactly. "Hey come play EQ Next, it's exactly like Landmark except.. uh... it has LOLORE!"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51:35 AM

People constantly forget the fact that they have said that they want landmark to be more than just a building sandbox. All the way back to the first interviews and videos they have been discussing combat, pvp, monsters, adventure item crafting. Their plan has always been to have much more than digging and building. They have been pretty repetitive about telling people about adding health and falling damage.

Yup they are aiming for mine craft like game which does have basic combat and environmental hazard damage from things like lava so its just implementing stuff they intended to do all along.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: August 21, 2014, 11:27:16 AM

I think there should be a way to turn off falling damage on your plot - like a builder mode.
Actually they said on the live stream that they will make it so there is no falling damage on your claim, unless you've enabled it as a PvP battlefield, although they may implement it first without that ability. They also intend to allow you to flag certain claims out of a grouping to be "spectator" or "un flagged" while others are a PvP ground, but this too will not make the first pass.

I do agree with all of you that falling damage is stupid, but there's also a drop item from cave chests that allows players to glide. Right now our guild is starting to get a surplus on these.

What's really kept me from logging in is harvesting. I want to build. Having to spend half an hour or an hour of my precious game time digging a fucking hole just so I can spend an hour or two a day to build is really tiring. Harvesting is not fun. And no, I do not want to pay actual money to circumvent that. I may log back in when PVP comes up as it does sound kind of fun. I'm just not sure I have the stomach to harvest upkeep on plots when the harvesting is so drop dead boring.
This is the main reason for guilds. I have lots of people already in the guild (now reached 61 members) and there will always be someone to help with resources, and I highly encourage sharing and bartering.

One advantage of my being a social player, and making friends everyplace, is that I've already gotten a large number of people involved and will have that many more if people from here jump in..

Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: August 21, 2014, 12:00:03 PM

I might have to join, but I seldom play now as I've been playing other games of late. I usually just explore caves to see if I can find any of those fancy chest-only items. Having a big group to try out the upcoming combat stuff could be fun though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #826 on: August 21, 2014, 01:07:20 PM

One advantage of my being a social player, and making friends everyplace

But what if you're an anti-social asshole who hates humanity?  why so serious?

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37:03 PM

One advantage of my being a social player, and making friends everyplace

But what if you're an anti-social asshole who hates humanity?  why so serious?
Then you might fit right in...

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: August 22, 2014, 06:42:02 AM

Actually they said on the live stream that they will make it so there is no falling damage on your claim, unless you've enabled it as a PvP battlefield, although they may implement it first without that ability. They also intend to allow you to flag certain claims out of a grouping to be "spectator" or "un flagged" while others are a PvP ground, but this too will not make the first pass.

I do agree with all of you that falling damage is stupid, but there's also a drop item from cave chests that allows players to glide. Right now our guild is starting to get a surplus on these.

This is the main reason for guilds. I have lots of people already in the guild (now reached 61 members) and there will always be someone to help with resources, and I highly encourage sharing and bartering.

One advantage of my being a social player, and making friends everyplace, is that I've already gotten a large number of people involved and will have that many more if people from here jump in..

Yup pretty much this also if you are grouped with folks harvesting becomes stupidly effiicient. Solo harvesting takes a long time to build stuff up but even with one other person things start flying. Basically you get a copy of everything they harvest and they get the stuff you are harvesting. The more people in the group the faster it goes. But yes this game once its fully featured you are going to have some folks who just want to build stuff and you are going to have some people who just want to explore and play around and harvest and the trick is to have enough stuff both types of players want to get healthy trade going back and forth.
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: August 28, 2014, 08:42:13 PM

Forget combat and falling damage. Rather, feast your eyes upon my masterpiece.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:31 PM

That's pretty damn awesome.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: August 29, 2014, 08:24:22 AM

No, it's F@#$%ng amazing..

What's awesome was he is in the Woodcutters Local 419 guild, and someone I randomly talked to before guilds, PLUS was already a poster here.. ROFL

PVP Combat claim update was this week, and today is the downtime for bug fixing it.

Patch notes

PVP Combat update information and Game table info

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:33 AM

Falling damage suspended on your plot or any plot you have building rights on.

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: August 29, 2014, 10:30:41 AM

I want to build my own story-heavy, NPC-heavy mini-MMO. It sounds like this is going in the opposite direction of that.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: August 29, 2014, 10:39:37 AM

I want to build my own story-heavy, NPC-heavy mini-MMO. It sounds like this is going in the opposite direction of that.
I wouldn't say that is true. They explained why they are handling pvp first. Their reasoning is to get the combat in while being functional, enjoyable, and balanced. Then they can put in pve that fits that balance and mechanical structure.

Just a comment aimed generally, and not you specifically, I wish people would really dig into the design videos and interviews before they jump to conclusions. I am not saying that landmark is going to be "wtf amazing" or anything, however, they are being really clear on what they have planned and why they are making their decisions on what to implement first.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: August 30, 2014, 03:08:46 AM

Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: September 02, 2014, 06:16:46 PM

If anybody has a spare key laying around, me and tao could certainly put it to good use. I'm thinking Apollo mission recreation complete with artificial moon and lander.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: September 06, 2014, 03:07:10 AM

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:51 PM

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: September 19, 2014, 04:12:23 PM

Got a code for a proximity mine pack.  I can't be bothered to recover my sony password to use it.  If you want it pm me.  It expires tonight at 23:59 pst.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: