Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:21:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332707 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #700 on: May 01, 2014, 12:53:08 PM

He must have meant Juggalo.  why so serious?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #701 on: May 01, 2014, 01:05:40 PM

I am down with most of these fixes and additions. Rugs - yes. Chat changes - yes (but it resets on logout, but I can deal). Portal shards - well it is a start.

• Fixed an issue where items were disappearing from Chests. If you return to the Island that has your Claim that had said chest, the items should spit out in to your Overflow Inventory.

This is pretty huge. A lot of people were bitching about this one with good reason.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: May 01, 2014, 01:14:33 PM

Quote from: taolurker
  I just finished a new claim myself, and wanted some opinions. Search term bungelo, mine's the only one with that tag so far.

Um, perhaps because 'bungelo' is not an English world? 'Bungalow' is, but not all that commonly used in U.S.
I only spelled it that way because no spelling I tried looked right after 6 different attempts, but having mine be the only one with that tag is an un-intended benefit IMO.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:44 PM

Quote from: taolurker
  I just finished a new claim myself, and wanted some opinions. Search term bungelo, mine's the only one with that tag so far.

Um, perhaps because 'bungelo' is not an English world? 'Bungalow' is, but not all that commonly used in U.S.
I only spelled it that way because no spelling I tried looked right after 6 different attempts, but having mine be the only one with that tag is an un-intended benefit IMO.

I only tagged my shit so I could get thumbs up from people - I didn't know it logged to the Gallery.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: May 01, 2014, 01:38:13 PM

The Gallery's default listing of all claims is by player name, and your name is right at the top because of being all numbers.

Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: May 01, 2014, 02:21:08 PM

The Gallery's default listing of all claims is by player name, and your name is right at the top because of being all numbers.

Oh great...  ACK!

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: May 01, 2014, 02:41:54 PM

you are going to become a tourist attraction.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #707 on: May 01, 2014, 02:56:58 PM

I will be greatly disappointed if you do not use this opportunity to grief people.

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: May 01, 2014, 04:46:29 PM

Servers are still down, due to the SOE maintenance yesterday (I understand Planetside 2 also got hit) but they did post an updated road map https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-4-29-14.34413/

Seems like this is becoming a standalone game rather than the content creation engine for EQ Next. I feel like that's been previously implied, but this new roadmap makes it more clear.

Is this maybe why they dropped "EQN" from the name and it's just called "Landmark"- a Minecraft 2.0 style game from the makers of the game you formerly heard about at some point before WoW took over the universe?
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: May 01, 2014, 07:50:08 PM

Prepare for hotfix tomorrow and also DO NOT RESUME USING CHESTS TO STORE STUFF.

We have identified a bug with items that have upgrade slots and chests. Please do not place items w/ upgrade slots into chests. We do have a fix we're working on for this, but it won't be updated until tomorrow when we do a hotfix. We just wanted you to be aware of this in the meantime. Watch for the downtime notice tomorrow (May 2) for this hotfix.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: May 02, 2014, 12:04:44 AM

I think they have always said it was a standalone game, AND that they would be using the tools amd technologies amd some of the content from it in EQ Next. They've also said there would be many different types of worlds to build in Landmark, both Norrathian and distinctly NOT Norrathian, including modern and sci-fi. But reading comprehension is, apparently, hard for an awful lot of people, plus I think they shot themselves in the foot by having much of the alpha Landmark discussions on the EQNext forums.

Thus the name change and the subsequent many idiots asking for refunds and expressing surprise and anguish at the realization that they were not, in fact, paying to play in the EQNext beta.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: May 02, 2014, 09:25:26 AM

I think they have always said it was a standalone game, AND that they would be using the tools amd technologies amd some of the content from it in EQ Next. They've also said there would be many different types of worlds to build in Landmark, both Norrathian and distinctly NOT Norrathian, including modern and sci-fi. But reading comprehension is, apparently, hard for an awful lot of people, plus I think they shot themselves in the foot by having much of the alpha Landmark discussions on the EQNext forums.

Thus the name change and the subsequent many idiots asking for refunds and expressing surprise and anguish at the realization that they were not, in fact, paying to play in the EQNext beta.

Not necessarily on this forum, but I gave up trying to point out to people that none of the direction this game is taking is a big shock or new news. When I processed my payment for the alpha I was already aware of their plans and expected to eventually get a stand alone building game with adventuring and exploring as well. People seem to have the disease of latching onto one thing that interests them and then ignoring everything else.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #712 on: May 02, 2014, 09:39:38 AM

It is really hard for me to accept that everyone who built something that is in this video has the same tools I have.

Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: May 02, 2014, 10:07:21 AM

It is really hard for me to accept that everyone who built something that is in this video has the same tools I have.

I was told by people on my server that the smooth tool change from alpha to beta really changed the way players can make stuff. If you don't have a template board that includes all the shit from alpha, you will never be able to make any of that stuff.

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: May 03, 2014, 04:23:18 PM

I was told by people on my server that the smooth tool change from alpha to beta really changed the way players can make stuff. If you don't have a template board that includes all the shit from alpha, you will never be able to make any of that stuff.

You're joking, right? This got very clownshoes very quickly.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #715 on: May 03, 2014, 05:03:17 PM

Yea the smooth tool change messed up ways I would do things. I didn't stick around long enough afterwards to find out if everything done previously could be done again just a different way. Skimming patch notes, it also looks like they've really amp'd up the Props side of things. That was always their intent of course, and it makes sense as a business. But it happening at the same time they change a tool that resulted in all those great creations, and the grinds they've added, doesn't feel right.

I got my money's worth just on the alpha phase I played. Really loved it. Put more hours into that period than I have many other games for which I paid more money. So I'm not angry about the game not being for me anymore. I basically think of the current version as a different game. And that name change helped smiley

Glad people still like it though. I consider it something of an "important" game in how it evolves the concept of Minecraft in some ways that could have lasting impact for people who like to create. I just can't help feeling that it's their aggressive business model that will hold it back. Yea yea they gotta pay the bills, and MC is only now getting around to operating world servers, and all that. But I also don't think Landmark being Farmville-meets-Minecraft-Adventure-mode is the best opportunity.

Maybe they'll do like MC and have an equivalent Creative mode (shared, no monsters, keep the XP grind, etc)?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: May 04, 2014, 08:24:52 AM

On Rebillion, on Rapids, right near the Spire someone has crafted an ""Elemental Battle" -- two giant elementals (looks like frost and stone) fighting. It's pretty fucking spectacular. One of them is using a tree as a club, to give an idea of size.

I didn't grab a screenshot, but damn....

Makes my crappy claim look even crappier. :) (OTOH, I'm about to tear down half of it and rebuild....)

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: May 04, 2014, 10:46:31 AM

On Rebillion, on Rapids, right near the Spire someone has crafted an ""Elemental Battle" -- two giant elementals (looks like frost and stone) fighting.

I am looking at this right now and it is amazing.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: May 04, 2014, 01:26:46 PM

On Rebillion, on Rapids, right near the Spire someone has crafted an ""Elemental Battle" -- two giant elementals (looks like frost and stone) fighting.

No kidding.

Pretty impressive on it's own. Really took advantage of the way the smooth and line tools really work, and the detail is fascinating.
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: May 04, 2014, 01:49:05 PM

No kidding.

Pretty impressive on it's own. Really took advantage of the way the smooth and line tools really work, and the detail is fascinating.

Pics don't do it justice actually... but here's a taste.

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: May 04, 2014, 02:08:47 PM

Wow, that's really cool.

I'll definitely get into this when I can buy some form of account (either legitimately or on the secondary market) that lets me skip the grind, and also script NPCs and whatnot rather than just build.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: May 05, 2014, 06:59:04 AM

You're joking, right? This got very clownshoes very quickly.

The new smooth tool is overall better than the older one but the older one had more levels of smoothing so there were some effects that you could accomplish with it that are no longer possible. They have said they are still working on the tools to make them stronger/more easy to use .
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #722 on: May 05, 2014, 08:11:12 AM

The problem with the pre-change templates is that some of that stuff will be worth a lot of money on the player market. It's like pre-patch items in Ultima Online ("Emergent behaviour"  why so serious? ). Even though I loved all of it at the time, things like this don't fly anymore in MMORPGs and for good reasons. While it's bad enough that only some people will have it, I hope they won't be marketable.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: May 05, 2014, 10:10:47 AM

I grabbed a couple different copies of the voxel templates from alpha. I'd be thrilled to share them with anyone who wants, we just gotta work out a time to get together since fixing permissions so you can share without risk of someone stealing everything seems to be low on their priorities list.

I'm currently a bit hard to catch so let me know here if anyone wants to get them. I'm only in game an hour every other day or so as I'm currently sucked in to Diablo 3 V2.0 Finally Done Right for all my gaming time! LOL

Oh, and best time for me is around 10 or 11 PM EDT (GMT-5?).

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: May 07, 2014, 05:09:30 AM

Based on the very broad hints in their twitter feed they will be adding static water today.  So if you built on the coast you will have an actual ocean to view.
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: May 07, 2014, 05:49:11 AM

Based on the very broad hints in their twitter feed they will be adding static water today.  So if you built on the coast you will have an actual ocean to view.

I'm not holding my breath. Both my plots are designed to fully take in an ocean view, but I doubt they can just drop in oceans without many many other things going apeshit. It will get in there, but I am not logging in until things are stable (i.e., after the multiple hotfixes and possible rollbacks).

That said, I am fairly excited to see what it will look like. I am assuming the same look and function as PS2 water on the coasts so nothing special, but it will add to the environment and feel of the game. My lighthouse will actually fit the spot I have it in. Unfortunately this will negate the easy mining nodes on the vast sandy wastelands on the borders.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: May 07, 2014, 07:47:04 AM

My newest build was also on what I assumed would be a lake coastline, but I am infinitely more interested in them fixing the graphical glitch they patched live last week than in having water to splash in. 

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:23 AM

Patch notes

Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:12 AM

So you can't build with water yet, but can you build on?

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: May 07, 2014, 11:40:46 AM

Right now would probably be building below water, but the only real way to know is to find out when the patch is done. They say there's no swimming yet, and I doubt you can just walk on the surface (/Jesus) so probably you could have a claim extending out of the water. Still no idea until we can see and test it.

Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: May 07, 2014, 11:54:42 AM

Right now would probably be building below water, but the only real way to know is to find out when the patch is done. They say there's no swimming yet, and I doubt you can just walk on the surface (/Jesus) so probably you could have a claim extending out of the water. Still no idea until we can see and test it.

Water is now a surface so you can walk on it.

• Interacting with the oceans right now means you're simply walking on top of it. Let's just pretend everyone has Boots of Water Walking, okay?

I have a claim that I believe already juts out into the new water... be nice if I can build a dock and a boat or something. I am kinda sad I didn't claim something in the dead parts of the borders that are now probably completely underwater. That would be cool to build underwater ruins.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: May 07, 2014, 02:32:02 PM

looks like if you dig down far enough you will hit water now.  It won't rise up a well shaft or anything but you can now build flooded tunnels and stuff if you can set the bottom of your claim deep enough.
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: May 07, 2014, 04:47:39 PM

(picked the right spot for my lighthouse thankfully - 3/4 surrounded by glorious waves)

Looks fantastic. I didn't expect the waves to be as big as they are, but it works. Waves don't break on the shoreline yet, but this is a really nice first offering.

Servers are down for a hotifx though... not surprised.  Ohhhhh, I see.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: May 08, 2014, 06:32:19 AM

So you can't build with water yet, but can you build on?

Yes you can. One thing though if something is below the water line you cannot use the smooth tool on it from what I can see probably some interaction between the water and smooth shapers but otherwise it works nicely.

For the following pyramid two of the four claims that make it up were mostly water that I built up a bit to put the pyramid. Also inside the pyramid given it is built "over" the water I can now make pools/bath areas that have water in them. If I can't bring water to my building then I will bring the building to the water hehhee.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: May 08, 2014, 06:33:39 AM

And yes I have to hit my one corner of my pyramid with the smoother tool a bit I have no idea why but always one of the four corners will get that saw tooth effect when the other three are perfect oh wells. Probably not going to get to nitpicky with this build as its going to get eaten when I go on vacation in a couple weeks anyway but wanted to test some stuff with water claims.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: