Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332596 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #665 on: April 24, 2014, 11:30:48 AM

Meh. i set my naga up to repeat click and...

SET IT AND FORGET IT!

Crafting revamp is great considering I been gathering to mass produce mithril picks but haven't because my chances of getting legendary are the same as going out with Alison Brie.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: April 24, 2014, 11:41:40 AM

Yeah, well now you'll need to grind harvesting to locate that ultra rare "drop" they've added that you'll need to create upgrades. I seriously prefer the roll the dice random method than the grind to upgrade method.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: April 24, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Yeah, well now you'll need to grind harvesting to locate that ultra rare "drop" they've added that you'll need to create upgrades. I seriously prefer the roll the dice random method than the grind to upgrade method.

Well, to be fair.. building gets boring for me after awhile. I start adding silly shit and then my claim looks ridiculous. So I been in the habit of full stop building before I go all AbFab with the lumicite and going balls out gathering... mining, harvesting, chopping for days. I like my chances there rather than getting anything by RNG in crafting because I'll just have to gather those mats anyway. Of course you are talking to someone who only crafted a single blue pick out of every tool you can make.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: April 25, 2014, 03:09:32 AM

Just a quick look at the sheer amount of resources required to "upgrade" now makes me sure this is a combination of kick in the nuts and we need a mechanic to keep people as long as possible (OR SPEND RL CASH *MONEYHATS).

This upgrading system is just plain insulting grind wise, and with rare drops, multiple upgrades to multiple refiners, with tons of resources required, this whole upgrading thing is overly complicated, extremely convoluted, and requires way more time than I will ever spend trying to get an item only marginally better. You can have the upgrades 01101010, I'm gonna pretend they aren't even there.

If this system is what they keep for an action oriented game, then definitely count me out.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: April 25, 2014, 06:34:51 AM

I managed to pull 2 of the quality upgrade totems from my tradesman's sifter plus 14 or 15 of the stat upgrade thingys.  I think I used around 20 or so piles of dirt to get them.  I only picked up one rare upgrade relic in about an hours worth of digging.
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: April 25, 2014, 06:45:45 AM

I managed to pull 2 of the quality upgrade totems from my tradesman's sifter plus 14 or 15 of the stat upgrade thingys.  I think I used around 20 or so piles of dirt to get them.  I only picked up one rare upgrade relic in about an hours worth of digging.

For some reason this is working for me better than trying to hit the crafting lotto. I had a crap ton of dirt and sand in my vault I pulled out and sifted. I got 5 blue upgrade orbs, 2 upgrade legendary artifacts, and a butt ton of stat upgrades as well as a few cracked rune things. Problem now becomes the amount of materials to repair those broken relics AND THEN to upgrade the item with the repaired relic. It'll be a slog for sure, but at least it is possible now rather than having my MMO RNG luck which is basically 0.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: April 25, 2014, 07:11:10 AM

Well its still somewhat random I have gotten a few of the upgrade things randomly when crafting in the "wild" but most of them I have gotten by sifting mass quantities of sand/dirt in the current max level sifter.

The blue upgrade is reasonably common but I did not get one of the legendary upgrade items last night to drop.

Still I managed to make a really really nice blue ax and pimped out 2 of its 4 upgrade slots so it is head and shoulders better than any of my previous axes.

The plus side is if you get at 3 or 4 upgrade slots you can make a blue quality tool that is pretty close to what legendaries prior to the changes had stat wise.

One thing to note is the new crafting is pretty resource intensive I ran out of stuff trying finish the upgrades on my axe on the plus side the new axe scythes through trees like a hot knife through butter so makes the wood harvesting pretty easy.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: April 25, 2014, 07:19:06 AM

For some reason this is working for me better than trying to hit the crafting lotto. I had a crap ton of dirt and sand in my vault I pulled out and sifted. I got 5 blue upgrade orbs, 2 upgrade legendary artifacts, and a butt ton of stat upgrades as well as a few cracked rune things. Problem now becomes the amount of materials to repair those broken relics AND THEN to upgrade the item with the repaired relic. It'll be a slog for sure, but at least it is possible now rather than having my MMO RNG luck which is basically 0.

yes it is VERY resource intensive now but at least you can more or less control the quality and stats of the tool so you can bypass most of the RNG and make the item you want to make to do what you want to do.

One other thing to note is you don't need to do all the upgrades at once. You can do them in bits and pieces over time on the same item as you acquire resources. So if you don't have enough to jump to legendary you can just upgrade to superior and do the other upgrades later.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: April 25, 2014, 09:27:19 AM

I prefer the new method, since I can just make one of something and upgrade it as I see fit.  I don't see myself as a crafter and really just want a tool that is good enough for me to harvest what I need so I don't worry too much about how much effort it will take to make a legendary whatever.  Now if they introduce wear and all of a sudden I have to start replacing the damn things every week or something, then I'll be a bit more concerned.
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: April 25, 2014, 10:09:38 AM

I prefer the new method, since I can just make one of something and upgrade it as I see fit.  I don't see myself as a crafter and really just want a tool that is good enough for me to harvest what I need so I don't worry too much about how much effort it will take to make a legendary whatever.  Now if they introduce wear and all of a sudden I have to start replacing the damn things every week or something, then I'll be a bit more concerned.

Why would you say that out loud??   ACK!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #675 on: April 26, 2014, 08:38:52 AM

I was just chopping wood using the ever so clever one click chop and I found a different sort of tree inside the one I chopped down.  I couldn't chop it, though.  It was invincible.  And sort of creepy cool.  Like those Siamese twins where the tall one has to push around the little one who likes to sing country music in some sort of shopping trolley kind of creepy cool.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: April 28, 2014, 08:39:26 AM

LOL I found one of those trees inside a tree too, doubly creepy since the outer one was a nice healthy tree but the ineer one was a scraggly twisted half dead thing.

I've seen those invincible trees called "ghost trees" a lot on the forms. Seems to be a bug related to there having once been a claim there that sometimes messes things up. Bug has been there since the second week of alpha at least, and is probably way low on priority list (if even acknowledged) for the simple reason that it doesn't affect the devs or in-house designers because they cheat - they have special permissions/abilities that let them do stuff we can't, like fly or move/delete any tree regardless of claim/permissions, etc. And they use them pretty much all the time, so they don't experience the bugs we do, never have had to use all the coping workarounds we've had to develop so they're constantly breaking them, and don't experience the pain we do like when trying to build high with a grappling hook - so now they want to add falling damagez

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: April 29, 2014, 07:45:47 AM

Falling damage is stupid.  It's FUN to dive off high cliffs or walls, to run down hills jumping as you go...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:33 AM

Falling damage is stupid.  It's FUN to dive off high cliffs or walls, to run down hills jumping as you go...

Agreed, but it fits the business model of selling you slow fall gear in the store.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #679 on: April 29, 2014, 08:15:36 AM

Agreed, but it fits the business model of selling you slow fall gear in the store.

Do you really think that's the reason?  Some of the stuff they're planning for this game just don't make sense to me.  They've made a gathering/crafting/building game... why would they want to fool around with MMORPG stuff since they're already making a new MMORPG?  Or are they?  Do you think they've decided to skip EQN and just make it all one thing?   Well, giving it a new name would be silly then.  I don't really know exactly what this game will be all about when they're done mucking about with it.  When I contributed, I thought I would be getting a crafting game without the distraction of combat or quests.  I really do suspect this is why they're lenient with refunds.  It's because everything is being changed and they're making it up as they go along.  Right?  It might be a fun sort of discovery thing for the devs, but for me it's just confusing.

Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: April 29, 2014, 08:56:00 AM

Do you really think that's the reason?  Some of the stuff they're planning for this game just don't make sense to me.  They've made a gathering/crafting/building game... why would they want to fool around with MMORPG stuff since they're already making a new MMORPG?  Or are they?  Do you think they've decided to skip EQN and just make it all one thing?   Well, giving it a new name would be silly then.  I don't really know exactly what this game will be all about when they're done mucking about with it.  When I contributed, I thought I would be getting a crafting game without the distraction of combat or quests.  I really do suspect this is why they're lenient with refunds.  It's because everything is being changed and they're making it up as they go along.  Right?  It might be a fun sort of discovery thing for the devs, but for me it's just confusing.

In my opinion,  putting in health, dmg, mobs, caves, death, etc. really says to me they are using Landmark as some VR testing ground for :Next. Either that, or they have no idea what the fuck they want this game to be, which I would not put it pass ANY SoE game. I really don't understand the death function at all. How will it have any other impact on the player other than just ANOTHER timesink? There is no XP and gear so dying having consequences is laughable unless you die and have to run back from the portal every time or get a death time out... and that is just stupidsauce. The building is great and I am surprised it is actually sticking with me, I even got mildly interested in the new upgradable tools. The things they are going to put in on the Blueprint however I dunno about.

Water is coming soon supposedly but that will just be for show until they get gatherable water (yes, water voxels). Guess we'll be crafting legendary buckets at some point. Caves I just don't see why. Everyone I chat with ingame seems to be excited but I am not convinced it will be anything more than a cockblock to resources if they go ahead and bury the high-end nodes in the caves. I don't care about spelunking in some tunnel, I make enough mining. Unless the caves will be massive underground expanses (and from what I have seen on the podcast, they are just tunnels), I don't see the appeal.

What I would like to actually see is natural events like tornadoes or earthquakes that affect the environment and builds. That carries too much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the prissy princesses who's claim is some kind of temple that will remain for all time. It is a building game and these people act as though once it is built, they beat the game.

Sorry for trailing off... but work is grinding me and I had to wander off before I start setting my desk on fire.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: April 29, 2014, 09:16:08 AM

I really don't think it's a case of evil greedy devs pushing you to the pay store. And I'm a cynical, paranoid, grumpy old fart with a stack of grudges against Sony.

I do think it's a case of naive, ambitious, understaffed and overwhelmed devs struggling with trying to implement a grandiose but vaguely defined in the details Vision TM. As Signe said, it's an exploratory process, but complicated by not really having come to grips yet with many of the implications of their basic inalterable design choices. They have huge gaps in their design and understanding about how various pieces and systems will interact and affect each other.  They've completely skipped much of that pre-coding design thinking in favor of exploratory development.

And I suspect they have either eliminated or seriously shortchanged their post-coding QA process as well in favor of letting their thousands of "testers" do that work for them. Yet they are woefully underequipped to handle the feedback they are getting from those testers, being barely able to handle sips of information while being sprayed with multiple water cannons.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:18:32 AM by Count Nerfedalot »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #682 on: April 29, 2014, 09:23:46 AM

Insert my smug mug here.   why so serious?

They're turning this in to the Paid Alpha of the next EQ game when it was supposed to be the content tool for it.  I find that hilarious.  Next up will be Quests, NPCs and cities turning-up for testing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:01 AM

I don't mind that, I may not stick around much once they start  mmoifying the game but right now I have fun dinking around with the systems as they change and are improved or ruined.
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:28 AM

Insert my smug mug here.   why so serious?

They're turning this in to the Paid Alpha of the next EQ game when it was supposed to be the content tool for it.  I find that hilarious.  Next up will be Quests, NPCs and cities turning-up for testing.

You forgot the PvP (yes, it is mentioned in the Blueprint /cry)  Ohhhhh, I see.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: April 29, 2014, 10:17:48 AM

I don't mind that, I may not stick around much once they start  mmoifying the game but right now I have fun dinking around with the systems as they change and are improved or ruined.

Someone earlier asked why would amyone pay to play in the Alpha if they didn't like parts of the blueprint for where they devs planned to take the game. There are lots of good answers to that, many of which apply to me. LOL But the shortest is I fully expect this to be the most fun experience I get from they game.

I like a LOT of what they are trying to do here, and I very much dislike a couple things and have doubts about several more. I'm hoping that by participating now I can enjoy the good parts before they cock it up with the other crap.  And maybe if enough people like me point out the parts we REALLY don't like and/or quit when they add them, they will change their minds about making those parts unavoidable or otherwise necessary to play the rest of the game.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:34 AM

I was just chopping wood using the ever so clever one click chop and I found a different sort of tree inside the one I chopped down.  I couldn't chop it, though.  It was invincible.  And sort of creepy cool.  Like those Siamese twins where the tall one has to push around the little one who likes to sing country music in some sort of shopping trolley kind of creepy cool.

There are two ways that happen one is when you try to harvest on somebodies land or the bug where once something goes poof another one instantly appears thats unharvestable. I was seeing the latter more this weekend than I had previously so I think there is a new bug.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #687 on: April 29, 2014, 02:19:45 PM

Welp, I'm pretty sure I had enough upkeep to keep my claim up since the last time I logged in but when I jumped in last night, it thought I didn't have the upkeep so my claim became a pretty little template in my fucking inventory.

I'm not sure I have the energy to give enough of a fuck to go back in and rebuild the goddamn thing until closer to release.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: April 30, 2014, 04:43:04 AM

Servers are still down, due to the SOE maintenance yesterday (I understand Planetside 2 also got hit) but they did post an updated road map https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-4-29-14.34413/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #689 on: April 30, 2014, 06:27:10 AM

That roadmap is really detailed, and I guess it answers a lot of questions people, me included, were asking around here about the direction of the game. Monsters, pathing, shields, abilities, melee, projectiles, treasure chests, loot, Dungeon Mastering, PvP. All very meaningful keywords in this context. For good or bad.

All of this is a relatively unsexy way to describe something that's going to bring a ton of danger, adrenaline, and life to the game. We'll unveil how we're going to debut this all into the game closer to July, but the plans are highly cool. It should be fun.

And all of that (except for PvP and Dungeon Mastering) is supposed to hit by July? Hmm..

Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: April 30, 2014, 07:22:14 AM

Monster chasing you? Just plop down a box template around you. I can't wait to see how the mobs are handled. I hope they train with long leashes or no leashes at all. Griefing extravaganza!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #691 on: April 30, 2014, 07:37:54 AM

Glass in June!  Yay!  My windows will be complete.  If it works.  And if I can add colours.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: April 30, 2014, 08:10:54 AM

Glass in June!  Yay!  My windows will be complete.  If it works.  And if I can add colours.
Glass pane props in different sizes are already in. I think you use sand to craft them.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: April 30, 2014, 08:12:12 AM

Glass pane props in different sizes are already in. I think you use sand to craft them.

Yeah but those are props and are really fucking wonky to place.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: April 30, 2014, 08:13:05 AM

Not with shift click.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21:42 AM

Monster chasing you? Just plop down a box template around you. I can't wait to see how the mobs are handled. I hope they train with long leashes or no leashes at all. Griefing extravaganza!

Hehe yes monsters are going to need some power /voxel smashing attacks. Making AI that works well on a voxel world should be an interesting challenge.
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: May 01, 2014, 08:23:59 AM

Not with shift click.

True, but that should be the default and not the option I have to remember to do. QoL change really... and moot point soon enough.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #697 on: May 01, 2014, 09:00:22 AM

If they're going to do PvP and we can build a whole town or something, then I want it be Shadowbane-y except without levels. 

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: May 01, 2014, 11:46:12 AM

Patch Notes here

Some New Changes I liked:
  • Bunch of new prop furnitures (and rugs!).
  • You can now split off multiple tabs of chat in to their own windows!
  • Teleport to a Claim in the Gallery has a 30 minute cooldown. Also note that we've reduced the cooldown of Teleporting to your own claim from 60 minutes to 30 minutes. Portal Shards just became useful!!

Was looking for you guys on the Gallery, and only really saw Pennilenko and 01101010 in there, and really can't even tell if their claims are buildings or not from screenshots/description. I just finished a new claim myself, and wanted some opinions. Search term bungelo, mine's the only one with that tag so far.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? awesome, for real

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: May 01, 2014, 12:46:00 PM

Quote from: taolurker
  I just finished a new claim myself, and wanted some opinions. Search term bungelo, mine's the only one with that tag so far.

Um, perhaps because 'bungelo' is not an English world? 'Bungalow' is, but not all that commonly used in U.S.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: