Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:50:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 334468 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #595 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:56 AM

I think they are going to get rid of tiered continents and go tired layers once the underground is more developed. Digging downward seemed really important in the unveiling of Landmark.

"Me am play gods"
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #596 on: April 10, 2014, 11:43:13 AM

I think they are going to get rid of tiered continents and go tired layers once the underground is more developed. Digging downward seemed really important in the unveiling of Landmark.

That or they could put the lower tiered stuff closer to the portal and higher tiers towards the borders to drive players out there. I saw some cool claims way out on Oxbow but had no likes because no one ventures out there for anything.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: April 10, 2014, 12:03:26 PM

Maybe I am not seeing the point of caves... why?

THIS. So much this. I can't imagine a procedurally produced cave that extends WAY below the earth to not cause immense issues with falling, lag and also to be an additional way to gate resources. I have no desire to explore a random cave system looking for a "chest", and even less to get special props, resources or items. This also will bring up camping and spawn stealing issues unless it's universally available to ALL visitors, so that makes it the stupidest waste of developer resources when there are SHIT TONS of bugs to still squash.

Mostly absolutely pointless additions and changes, and the only thing I remotely would've wanted in this patch is the additional hotbar.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: April 10, 2014, 12:55:04 PM

So, um, never played Minecraft?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: April 10, 2014, 01:18:19 PM

Yes, I've Minecrafted, but infinitely less than most people. It's one thing if I'm digging a cave or tunnel compared to having one that's a "feature" of the landscape, with specially placed items and easter eggs to find.

Seriously though, this feature is stupid to be working on when the chat, mail, templates and graphics options all need serious overhauls or bug out as much as they do. At this stage they shouldn't be focusing on a cave/tunnel, IMO, and if this were a hand crafted dungeon to crawl, in an action MMO, I'd definitely think differently about it.

I still don't see how having a cave as a feature of the landscape is required for any of this.

The live chat thing also featured new "outfits" and talked about RMT, which also are extremely premature to be discussing when the tabs on my chat bar flash for NO REASON, I fall through the game, or watch shadows dance below harvested resources. So does that mean I'm opposed to RMT? No, not at all. I just would prefer they spent time on more important things, like a cross server channel where the communication reaches all parties connected to it.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #600 on: April 10, 2014, 01:36:09 PM

The pillars of this game according to the devs is building and exploring. So exploring the ground(caves) and the sky (floating islands) are a nature continuation of exploration. Finding different ores and gems at varying depth fits well, both thematically(Mining) and as an inducement to explore rather than sit on the surface grinding. Tho the surface still needs work no doubt.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:54:15 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: April 10, 2014, 01:43:02 PM

AAANND... Emergency downtime... Servers up for long enough to see that instead of giving us ONE additional hotbar, they gave us 9.. For 10 in all (supposed to be 2?). Also the current hotbar becomes hotbar # zero. Don't even know if that's the reason servers being taken down, but this is definitely amateur hour IMO.

Edit to update...
Emergency Downtime appears to be from an Inventory bug where ingots in inventory disappeared, along with mining and crafting ingots placed them into main inventory instead of the resource tab.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:13:19 PM by taolurker »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #602 on: April 10, 2014, 02:38:35 PM

I think calling it amateur hour is pushing it a bit, especially as it's a beta.  Weekly updates for any dev teams on any project will introduce unknowns; I don't care how awesome the team is.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

AAANND... Emergency downtime... Servers up for long enough to see that instead of giving us ONE additional hotbar, they gave us 9.. For 10 in all (supposed to be 2?). Also the current hotbar becomes hotbar # zero.

The patch notes say that you can choose by hitting ctrl 0-9 so to me that says that 10 are intended.  Two is enough for now but it's nice that they left room for more.  I imagine that eventually you'll need at least one more when they start the adventuring thing.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: April 10, 2014, 05:58:03 PM

I think calling it amateur hour is pushing it a bit, especially as it's a beta.  Weekly updates for any dev teams on any project will introduce unknowns; I don't care how awesome the team is.
The amateur hour comment was because of them making a big deal about only adding a single additional hotbar when they were adding 9 more.. And, yes, I saw that in the patch notes which was why them saying they were only adding one and then commenting how they could add more but would have them unlockable "somehow" in the Live chat was unfortunate for them.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: April 10, 2014, 08:22:01 PM

FYI the servers never came back up after being taken down for the hotfix, and they are needing to do a rollback to pre patch... Total of 12+ hours of downtime today for a patch with very little actually fixes, a bunch of supposed "balancing", changing tiers of resources or resource costs for crafting, along with RMT items.

It's totally possible the amateur hour comment could fit this now.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:19 AM

Dangit, Laozee gave me a nice arch and somehow I hosed up templating it. URG.

I got the stairs though. :)
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: April 11, 2014, 11:50:57 AM

I'll give you the arch again when I'm next in game, or ask Tmon.. I got it from him originally from his Swap meeting.

Ps Tao=Laozee

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #608 on: April 11, 2014, 01:59:56 PM

Still on Rebellion but I moved to Kettle.  It's tundra and old forest but pretty empty with some nice woodsy nearly flat areas and some snowy areas pretty near the hub.  I like it better than Timber. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: April 11, 2014, 06:54:38 PM

Still on Rebellion but I moved to Kettle.  It's tundra and old forest but pretty empty with some nice woodsy nearly flat areas and some snowy areas pretty near the hub.  I like it better than Timber. 
I wandered around there. Nice place. I like my spot on Rapids -- close to the Spire, and it's T1 so I can scoop up copper very quickly.

I got my big tower set up -- no stuff in it, except the occasional light -- and a smaller tower as well. The line tool is pissing me off, though. Can't do 1 square lines, the stupid thing doesn't map well -- it can't seem to manage the exact same angles in the exact same way twice in a row, and occasionally just goes nuts for no reason at all.

I really wish that stupid thing worked properly.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #610 on: April 11, 2014, 08:40:07 PM

I think Kettle is tier 2.  I wish Taolurker would stop posting.  I am constantly mesmerised by his stupid avatard.  I just wasted like five minutes staring at it!  If my cat hadn't walked in front of the monitor, I'd probably still be looking at it!

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: April 11, 2014, 10:50:24 PM

I will not stop posting, but, just for you Signe I changed my avatar. It's also a picture of my Landmark claim.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #612 on: April 12, 2014, 07:24:18 AM

Heart it!  You should make some of those coloured balls and see if you can decorate the tree!

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: April 12, 2014, 08:27:06 AM

The colored ones cost Station Cash, but I did actually consider it, both for that tree and the one that looks like a X-mas tree (that I cropped out of the photo). That pic is also before the igloo was done.

Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: April 16, 2014, 01:10:57 PM

patch today...

Finally introducing transparent glass and adding a compass to the UI. Other stuff in the notes:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-04-16-2014.32135/

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #615 on: April 16, 2014, 01:18:18 PM

adding a compass to the UI

Praise Jay-sus!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #616 on: April 16, 2014, 01:19:32 PM

I bought the gypsy dress. I am such a fashion victim  swamp poop

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: April 16, 2014, 06:51:57 PM

I've ignored the trading post. I did build a nice smithy I'm a bit proud of. Nothing compared to the stuff other people are doing, but quite solid. :)

I've got to pick up my watchtowers and put them back facing the right way. I decided to run a wall between them, and having the door on the OUTSIDE of the wall looks a bit dumb. :)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #618 on: April 16, 2014, 07:24:55 PM

There's a gypsy dress?  Are there shoes?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #619 on: April 16, 2014, 11:48:50 PM

There's a gypsy dress?  Are there shoes?

You should know me better :)

Also, the two "scarf tails" sway beautifully when you jump around.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: April 17, 2014, 05:50:37 PM

That being able to include/exclude air with templates is pretty awesome, if it does what I think.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #621 on: April 18, 2014, 12:22:43 PM

Can someone tell me why the fuck I have such a hard ass time placing or pasting ANYTHING I build? I can't line that thing up for shit. Is there someway to move something once it's been placed (and I don't mean something crafted, I mean an actual piece of a building)?

Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: April 18, 2014, 03:30:43 PM

Can someone tell me why the fuck I have such a hard ass time placing or pasting ANYTHING I build? I can't line that thing up for shit. Is there someway to move something once it's been placed (and I don't mean something crafted, I mean an actual piece of a building)?

That is part of the meta-game. (and yes it is a BITCH and a half)

Not to mention the camera issues the game has...

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: April 18, 2014, 05:17:42 PM

There's no way I know of to move things other than props once they are placed in the world.  The closest I can come to it is to select what I need to move with the select tool, delete the thing and then do a ctrl v and paste it back in where I want it.  Hit shift click after you ctrl v and you will get the 'tweak' menu that lets you place your pasted selection like a prop.  Shift click is probably the second most common thing I use when building after the selection tool.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: April 18, 2014, 05:57:39 PM

Yeah, get it close and use shift-click, then you can walk around using the tab keys and arrows/wheels to get it just right from various perspectives.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: April 18, 2014, 06:52:37 PM

Even skimming this thread, I can detect the enthusiasm in its potential and execution. Art style appears pleasant. Is Free 2 Play their eventual goal?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: April 19, 2014, 11:19:34 AM

I just noticed "sifters' -- worth building?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #627 on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:10 AM

I built one last night... not really. For a pile of dirt (which is mostly not used by me so far), you get a variable amount of tin ore (like between 1 and 5 pieces). Totally not worth it.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #628 on: April 19, 2014, 02:47:55 PM

If you find yourself with way more of the common stuff than you'll ever need, you can recycle it to random crap like tin/copper/gems/etc.  Depends on your needs.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: April 19, 2014, 03:22:55 PM

I did finally grasp the superior refineing stations. I upgraded a few -- that extra one or two is kinda worth it, long term.

I built a nice pulverizer (are they all orange?) and am working towards the mithral pick and ruby axe.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: