Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332628 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: April 02, 2014, 01:23:56 PM

Closed beta to open beta wipe is only wiping claims (which will be templated), all of your mats and tool progression will be kept.

Smokejumper has backed off on this "promise" recently, saying something to the effect of they "hoped" they wouldn't need to wipe progression again during beta, but... And I'm pretty sure they said they WILL wipe all non-purchased items, which includes tools and resources and claims when they go from open beta to live.

Frankly I think they'll have to reset progression at least once more in beta in order to test it once resources get distributed vertically instead of lying around on the surface begging to be picked up.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #561 on: April 02, 2014, 01:56:54 PM

1.1g patch. FYI.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #562 on: April 02, 2014, 01:58:30 PM

It's kind of telling that I still have 3 keys left.
Honestly at this point there is still a LOT of the game that is left to be added its way more fun now than it has any real right to be but it is still pretty much the most basic land mass type with some very basic grouping/social features and basic building tools. That people are able to do some of the insane interesting designs we have seen is incredible for what is actually there currently.
Sure, I had some fun with the first few weeks. And I've said I'm looking forward to where it's going.

But interest is low when people don't even want in the closed beta.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:27 PM

So I've noticed you can raise and lower claims, and I suspect when you add adjacent claims you can stack them above or below. So you can have basements? Not sure how'd you'd excavate them yet, but then the only "building" I've done was lay a flat area of stone to stick a forge on.

So how many claims can you have? and how many adjacent ones can you add to it?

I admit, I was really surprised -- when I turned on "view claimable land" how little was claimable! I did get a nice spot near a portal though, perfect for the tower I plan to build. Sadly not up as high as I'd like, but I'd have to get a fair distance from the portal to do that. A nice hill will do.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #564 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:18 PM

I believe you're limited to 1 'main' claim and 2 attachment claims right now. Your main claim defines the protected land square (with a smaller buildable area in the center) and then the attachments go within that protected zone rather than expanding it.

I put my claim on the top of a mountain (Determination Lagoon) but deliberately ensured that it went deep enough into the mountain to give myself some subterranean build space. Means I'm able to keep my crafting stuff out of sight.

I believe the colloquial term for the very common slab filled with crafting equipment is 'crap shack'  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:25:40 PM by Jherad »
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: April 02, 2014, 07:24:36 PM

So I've noticed you can raise and lower claims, and I suspect when you add adjacent claims you can stack them above or below. So you can have basements? Not sure how'd you'd excavate them yet, but then the only "building" I've done was lay a flat area of stone to stick a forge on.

So how many claims can you have? and how many adjacent ones can you add to it?

I admit, I was really surprised -- when I turned on "view claimable land" how little was claimable! I did get a nice spot near a portal though, perfect for the tower I plan to build. Sadly not up as high as I'd like, but I'd have to get a fair distance from the portal to do that. A nice hill will do.

Oh you can excavate ... I should screen shot my lair - well once I get it somewhat fleshed out. The idea is there, and now that they killed the bug with adjacent claims not linking, I got a nice ass underground plot.

And secondary claims are on any of the sides of the original claim and on top. I thought a +3, but it might be total of 3, main +2.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: April 02, 2014, 07:26:53 PM

Ugh, might not have dropped my main claim low enough, although it looked pretty deep -- that box is a little hard to judge depths by. I take it pulverizers have something to do with excavation?

Currently I'm running around trying to get a silver axe and build the third crafting tool (I've got the forge and the one that lets you infuse heartwood, so I think I'm working on the tinkerers one?)

And I'm a little annoyed that my copper axe is faster than my bronze one, or whatever. The one that'll dig silver does more damage, but it's slow....
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #567 on: April 02, 2014, 07:37:01 PM

Pulverizers are for mining rather than buildsite excavation.

They very quickly destroy sand/rock/dirt leaving only ore/gems remaining. The downside is that you don't get to harvest any of the stone etc that was destroyed.

As soon as possible you should craft a selection tool. This GREATLY speeds up excavation.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #568 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:27 PM

Ugh, might not have dropped my main claim low enough, although it looked pretty deep -- that box is a little hard to judge depths by. I take it pulverizers have something to do with excavation?

Currently I'm running around trying to get a silver axe and build the third crafting tool (I've got the forge and the one that lets you infuse heartwood, so I think I'm working on the tinkerers one?)

And I'm a little annoyed that my copper axe is faster than my bronze one, or whatever. The one that'll dig silver does more damage, but it's slow....

Good lord... are you mining away your plot  ACK!

Build the Delete Tool then work towards the Selection tool. Excavation: Done.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: April 03, 2014, 04:06:16 PM

Hotfix today with two minor issues:
  •  Fixed a bug where after you zoned, you would appear to be wearing two overlapping outfits.
  •  Fixed a couple of server performance issues

I relocated my claim, and actually have a spot directly on top of the portal spire on Levee Serenity. I cut some tunnels as experiments with tools, and also built a mini ice building in the Desert. Levee seems very good because of low population, but I've seen all three rare trees there. The fix for the red color of deserts has boosted my performance in those zones noticably, along with less populations. Now, they just need to fix the added yellow and greens from forest/grassland areas, and that will likely fix tons of graphic glitches and issues. I didn't fall through the world once in desert last night and built for maybe 3-4 hrs.

edit: bbc fail
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:09:15 PM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: April 03, 2014, 06:19:29 PM

Good lord... are you mining away your plot  ACK!

Build the Delete Tool then work towards the Selection tool. Excavation: Done.
Nope. haven't done ANYTHING but lay a slab and some crafting stations on it. And frankly I plan to get rid of that later, and relocate the crafting stuff to the basement of Morat Tower. :) 

I've mostly just been mining away around the world, chopping down trees and whatnot. Building tools.

Made two of those armbands. One green and one blue, so there's that. Those are a big help.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #571 on: April 04, 2014, 10:51:32 AM

The harvesting grind to get stone may be the one thing that really kills this for me. I'm going to need a LOT of stone.

Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: April 04, 2014, 11:14:06 AM

The harvesting grind to get stone may be the one thing that really kills this for me. I'm going to need a LOT of stone.

I went through 105k stone yesterday and I am not even half way. Luckily, you mine a ton of stone while digging for minerals and metals and shinies. Just have to pick your islands - stick with the rocky desert ones or else you end up with a lot of dirt, or worse.... snow

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #573 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:59 PM

When I need stone I go to a deserty biome and dig straight down.  Pick up 50k in about 5 min.  Then I spend the next 10 grappling to the top, and fallingback down, rinse repeat.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #574 on: April 04, 2014, 12:47:45 PM

trees....

"Me am play gods"
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: April 04, 2014, 01:33:53 PM

When I need stone I go to a deserty biome and dig straight down.  Pick up 50k in about 5 min.  Then I spend the next 10 grappling to the top, and fallingback down, rinse repeat.
Damn dude. Just dig over some when you get to the bottom and use evac to safety.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #576 on: April 04, 2014, 08:39:41 PM

It's already at an angle, I can evac anyway.  What I meant was it's fun to grapple up, slide down, grapple up, slide down.  When did your inner child die?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: April 04, 2014, 10:01:10 PM

When did your inner child die?
When I discovered the internet or possibly after playing MMOs for sixteen years.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: April 05, 2014, 06:36:36 PM

That 300 copper upkeep -- is it per claim, or are attached claims additive -- like 300 more per attached claim too?
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: April 05, 2014, 09:07:48 PM

300 for each attached claim too.. So for 3 (1 root claim and 2 attached) it's 900 upkeep per day.

Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: April 05, 2014, 09:57:02 PM

300 for each attached claim too.. So for 3 (1 root claim and 2 attached) it's 900 upkeep per day.

Which is like 2 copper veins - It literally took me 15 minutes from porting to a tier 1 zone, gather 4500 copper, and port back to home. 5 days paid up. Now to decide if I need another claim...

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #581 on: April 06, 2014, 08:38:22 AM

It's true.  When I log in just to get the copper for upkeep, I'm there maybe 10 mins or so.  Right now I'm not sure I'll bother until open beta begins.  I'm completely immersed in ESO. 

By the way, although I can create some really cool windows, I can't make them transparent enough to have proper glass or stained glass ones.  All I've made so far is pretty windows.  I might start a window shoppe.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:34 PM

People have started hosting 'Swap Meets' on claims that have open permissions.  This allows people to place structures and make templates of the stuff on display.  The one I went to was on the Adventure server in Tunnel.  It is a three block claim a little to the southwest of the portal.  It has 4 floors of objects plus a basement.  Since they are basically wide open permission wise and lol internet there are reports of other swap meets getting griefed (asshats come in and delete everything) so I don't expect them to last long.  So take advantage of them while they last.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #583 on: April 08, 2014, 08:32:14 AM

People have started hosting 'Swap Meets' on claims that have open permissions.  This allows people to place structures and make templates of the stuff on display.  The one I went to was on the Adventure server in Tunnel.  It is a three block claim a little to the southwest of the portal.  It has 4 floors of objects plus a basement.  Since they are basically wide open permission wise and lol internet there are reports of other swap meets getting griefed (asshats come in and delete everything) so I don't expect them to last long.  So take advantage of them while they last.

Thanks!   awesome, for real

Later... that was great.  I went all shopoholic!  Now I crave shoes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:09:59 AM by Signe »

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #584 on: April 09, 2014, 06:12:53 AM

No takers for my last key? Taolurker wants to give it to his buddy. Last chance saloon, ladies.

I also have a time-limited key.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #585 on: April 09, 2014, 07:02:29 AM

Oh, right.  I got mailed a key, too, if anyone needs one.  I think it's one of those time limited ones. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #586 on: April 09, 2014, 11:57:23 AM

I'll take it Signe. Wait, if it's time-limited I don't want one. I have no patience for being told how much I can play something. Sky, if you still have the unlimited one, I'll nab it. I might play. Who knows.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:07 PM

I can't tell if I'm bugged or not. I'm working with the next size add tool from smallest (add tool, increase the size of the cube) -- the damn thing is stuck partway in the ground. I can't get it to stack. Part of the cube is ALWAYS in the terrain.

Is that a bug?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: April 09, 2014, 07:46:09 PM

I can't tell if I'm bugged or not. I'm working with the next size add tool from smallest (add tool, increase the size of the cube) -- the damn thing is stuck partway in the ground. I can't get it to stack. Part of the cube is ALWAYS in the terrain.

Is that a bug?

Push the G key, to take the selector off of grid snap.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: April 09, 2014, 07:54:47 PM

Actually, You need to do shift+Tab to change from "Scale" to "Terrain Offset". It should show that on the tooltip that blocks part of your view. Once in Terrain Offset, the scroll wheel will allow you to move it up/down to the top edge of terrain.

ALSO, you can Hold shift when you click to place it, and then all the prop movement tools will be available before you accept the final placement.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #590 on: April 10, 2014, 04:55:22 AM

Caves are coming. Here's a little tease (around the 28:30 mark) of how they will look like "before they make it spectacular". They will add props, decorations, treasure chests, and as they say "reasons to go into the cave".

They also mentioned on Twitter that they are working on "interaction" with and between elements, which means the ability to build mechanisms, something the Minecraft crowd is vocally asking for.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: April 10, 2014, 10:33:53 AM

Downtime this afternoon, 2-3 hours. Started 30 mins ago.

Patch Notes...

WAaaay less bugfixes than this #$^&ing game needs. Seriously keep thinking these people don't know how to read bug reports or actually care about fixing things.

Also that live thing.. Caves? Seriously?? WTF is wrong with these developers?!? DO. NOT. WANT.

Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: April 10, 2014, 10:43:53 AM

The hotbar thing is nice. Glad they put that in sooner than later.

Wonder what the white light orbs will look like and if they follow the rest of the props in being scalable... Make some really big ass globes to light up my work area at night, would be well worth it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #593 on: April 10, 2014, 10:59:35 AM

It's nice to see how many people want so many different thing from their sandboxes. Caves? Yes please.

Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: April 10, 2014, 11:20:21 AM

Maybe I am not seeing the point of caves... why? The treasure chest thing sounds interesting, but not enough to waste time running through a cave. I am sure there will be some chest only props and/or picks/axes/sickles, but not sure they'd be frequent enough to be worth it. I guess it could be another carrot, but just not for me. Maybe you will only be able to find some materials in caves? no clue.

I have had an aversion to caves ever since Planetside, so I am rather biased... and Smokejumper should know that.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: