Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332651 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #525 on: April 01, 2014, 11:30:14 AM

Ok, sure, no unlimited upkeep, but 5 days really is too short. Make it 2 weeks or a month or something like that. The idea of having to fight monster spawns in groups to get building materials... I will cut a bitch. I can already see the crafting/harvesting grind is probably going to be the thing that kills this for me.

That said, the building tools are surprisingly good.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: April 01, 2014, 01:08:27 PM

This upkeep issue people are upset about, is actually a non-issue. The day they released closed beta there was a twitch where they covered questions about upkeep time. Mr. Ponytail said that their plan is to keep people logging in weekly for closed beta. However, towards open beta and release, he said that their plan also includes extending upkeep prepay time to longer increments the longer you hold a claim. The big problem is that it seems only a tiny fraction of the community saw that twitch stream, they need to recap that stuff in forum posts so that more people have that information.

Also, people who are upset over all of the stuff they want to do with landmark confuse me. They have been very clear about what they want landmark to become and their plans for it, so I don't understand all of the shock and dismay over future systems they want to put in.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #527 on: April 01, 2014, 02:54:55 PM

Upkeep is okay but not five days.  A few weeks or a month would be great.  Right now I log in, get copper for payment, get an hour's worth of resources, build another machine and log out.  I'm playing ESO right now but will eventually build myself a little marble cabin or a log temple or something and stop dating Landmark and make a commitment.  For some reason, ESO has me mesmerised right now.  I'm pretty sure it's just lust, though, and not love.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: April 01, 2014, 04:29:28 PM

I can find copper and trees, but I cannot find tin or gemstones. I can find stuff I think is tin, but I can't mine it with the stone pick.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: April 01, 2014, 04:38:52 PM

You can't mine tin with the stone pick.  You need the copper pick to mine tin, and aquamarine.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: April 01, 2014, 05:04:08 PM

This upkeep issue people are upset about, is actually a non-issue. The day they released closed beta there was a twitch where they covered questions about upkeep time. Mr. Ponytail said that their plan is to keep people logging in weekly for closed beta. However, towards open beta and release, he said that their plan also includes extending upkeep prepay time to longer increments the longer you hold a claim. The big problem is that it seems only a tiny fraction of the community saw that twitch stream, they need to recap that stuff in forum posts so that more people have that information.

Also, people who are upset over all of the stuff they want to do with landmark confuse me. They have been very clear about what they want landmark to become and their plans for it, so I don't understand all of the shock and dismay over future systems they want to put in.

Who's upset, shocked, or dismayed? We're just commenting on something we were excited by, pleasantly surprised by when it didn't suck in closed alpha, and not really all that surprised they are pulling an SOE on it after all.

Upkeep time is a issue, but certainly not the only one. It's also the one I did say they'd likely change.

I can probably get past a lot of the other things folks have had issues with. I'd be fine if they don't screw up the adventuring/PvE stuff if they can achieve the community elements they are laying the groundwork for with the porting, spire bazaars, etc. And I can even get past the cash shop stuff because if they don't go too greedy on the prices, I'd happily pay $5 for 50,000 wood one week knowing the next week I'll have extra time to grind it out or whatever.

It's just that watching how they're rolling this stuff out, there's really no reason for me to check back in until it's all done. I've learned enough about the tools to know what they intend, it's not like mastering them conveys some competitive advantage, I'm not interested in the budding coalitions of cities that'll succumb to future ghost town/infighting, and there's enough open questions remaining.

So I'm not going to grind through the progression again on a property I need to worry about upkeeping only to then watch it all get wiped again when they jump to open beta, especially when I'm not sure I'll be the audience for the final product.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: April 01, 2014, 07:04:03 PM

So, I've made a copper pick and a tin axe. I've crafted a claim thingy (haven't used it) and one of the crafting stations (the stone forge, I think). So I'm ready to stake a claim...

What am I looking for? View? Metal deposits? Access to the portal? Should I look at the t2 or higher islands, or just the t1 ones?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #532 on: April 01, 2014, 07:06:51 PM

View really depends on what you wanna build.  But being close to a portal is my personal preference until they merge the tiered islands.  Being able to quickly zip over to an appropriately tiered island to get mats is useful.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #533 on: April 01, 2014, 07:57:00 PM

I read on their forums that the 5 day upkeep thing is just for beta to force a minimum level of play/testing. That was via a player allegedly paraphrasing a dev though, so who knows.

They're gonna have to scale back the grind if they go with the whole survival/death thing. Grinding out 100k rock to build a tower and then getting killed by a foozle on the way back is going to put a dampener on the most optimistic of souls. I dunno, part of the charm of this game is throwing yourself off mountains as you get to the next place - I'm not sure how I'll feel about a health bar.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: April 01, 2014, 08:09:39 PM

It's actually possible to have more than 5 days of upkeep, and I almost took a screenshot of my bugged upkeep window just 15 minutes ago showing 6days 14hrs... I deleted the attached claims I had added and the result was me having more than 5 days of upkeep on the claim. It also happened to bug my original claim which I was actually thinking of moving (and possibly losing the copper), but now after having more than 5 days of upkeep it keeps giving the message "You must first delete any attached claims before you can delete this claim".

I am getting pretty good at filling out bug reports, but the bug window has no word wrap, which makes me think that no one actually uses the in-game bug tool or that anyone is actually reading bug reports I fill out.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #535 on: April 01, 2014, 08:23:28 PM

So, I've made a copper pick and a tin axe. I've crafted a claim thingy (haven't used it) and one of the crafting stations (the stone forge, I think). So I'm ready to stake a claim...

What am I looking for? View? Metal deposits? Access to the portal? Should I look at the t2 or higher islands, or just the t1 ones?

My suggestion is to jump around each of the tier 3 and 4 islands and find a claim as close to the portal as possible. I went that route Sunday and found a prime spot on Playa which takes me all of 3 jumps to get to the portal from my front steps. The island is a frozen shit hole, which is why there was so much open land.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #536 on: April 02, 2014, 02:13:56 AM

there's really no reason for me to check back in until it's all done.

I agree with most of what you wrote. I chose to single out this part because I agree with it too, but I also want to state that this is pretty much ALWAYS the case for me when it comes to betas/alphas and other early access things. I DIE to try out stuff as soon as possible, but I never ever intend to play it before it's in a much more complete state and wipes are completely out.

To put it very simply, not only this is going to have so much more stuff and I am eagerly waiting for it to see how it blends in with the other things I already like, but after the initial wonder rush, I see no point putting even a minute in it knowing everything will be wiped in a few weeks. What's the point of a persistent game if things are not *yet* persistent?

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #537 on: April 02, 2014, 06:41:03 AM

Are you guys trying to justify not logging in anymore?  I don't see that it's necessary.  Opposed to being beta participants, you guys are taking the tourist approach.  And I mean no criticism in that remark at all.  We've all played the Beta Tourist at some point, where we just HAD to get first hand feel of what's up and coming.  But once you get a taste of what's under the hood, you lose interest for a while because ultimately, the game is still being made.  While I'm not overly active, I like to log in frequently and experiment, see what changes were implemented, and try to keep myself up to date so I'm not overwhelmed at release. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: April 02, 2014, 07:15:42 AM

Land mark is one of those odd games that I go in intending to just do a couple things then switch to something else then 4 hours later I find myself still puttering about my claims futzing with stuff.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #539 on: April 02, 2014, 07:17:40 AM

For me, blame ESO.  Still, I have fun experimenting with artsy looking stuff.  This week I'm going to try and create nice looking stained glass windows.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #540 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:05 AM

Land mark is one of those odd games that I go in intending to just do a couple things then switch to something else then 4 hours later I find myself still puttering about my claims futzing with stuff.

This. The building aspect is really engrossing... unfortunately, harvesting is so GODDAMN BORING yet I find myself spending too much time doing it because I know I need this shit to do the building. I may have to lay off of beta after I get my castle built because I'd hate to put a shitload of time in only to have it wiped in a few weeks.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:25 AM

Closed beta to open beta wipe is only wiping claims (which will be templated), all of your mats and tool progression will be kept.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:48 AM

This. The building aspect is really engrossing... unfortunately, harvesting is so GODDAMN BORING yet I find myself spending too much time doing it because I know I need this shit to do the building. I may have to lay off of beta after I get my castle built because I'd hate to put a shitload of time in only to have it wiped in a few weeks.

Are templates being wiped as well? I am going through and saving all my good stuff in templates when I build something that really came out well. If not, at least I will know how to build certain things so I won't stumble around trying to make it work later.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #543 on: April 02, 2014, 08:46:51 AM

No, I'm pretty sure they leave templates alone.  I think I've seen that discussion on one of those Twitch things they do.  Maybe you can even keep templates from open beta to release. 

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: April 02, 2014, 08:58:31 AM

Barring some horrible bug, data corruption or exploit, templates will never be wiped. The ability to USE a template often has and continues to be problematic however. For example I failed to remove all the props from my structures when I templated them before the conversion to closed beta. Some of those props can no longer be made, so I can't use any of those templates, the whole structure is lost for lack of an advanced alchemy table or whatnot.

They are supposed to be fixing this FINALLY today(?) by allowing templates to be placed even if you don't have all the props. We shall see.

They've also had and (mostly) fixed problems with templated plants, ground types, empty space, and the inability to fit a template of an entire claim on a new claim.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #545 on: April 02, 2014, 09:22:51 AM

Why is there such a long ass cooldown timer on the portal shards?

Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: April 02, 2014, 09:25:55 AM

Barring some horrible bug, data corruption or exploit, templates will never be wiped. The ability to USE a template often has and continues to be problematic however. For example I failed to remove all the props from my structures when I templated them before the conversion to closed beta. Some of those props can no longer be made, so I can't use any of those templates, the whole structure is lost for lack of an advanced alchemy table or whatnot.

They are supposed to be fixing this FINALLY today(?) by allowing templates to be placed even if you don't have all the props. We shall see.

They've also had and (mostly) fixed problems with templated plants, ground types, empty space, and the inability to fit a template of an entire claim on a new claim.

Luckily, all my templates are just pieces of terrain I build and smoothed or angled in specific ways, the big things or structural things... I don't template rooms as I am always setting things differently inside them.

I heard it is an hour, by fuck me if that is displayed anywhere that my dumbass can find. I had to look it up online. And I agree... you have to craft them so there is a timesink already attached to those. The hour timer is just being mean.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:14 AM

So they can sell you faster and more convenient ones?  It looks like the shards will be one way to move around quickly, they mention ley line transport between micro hubs and the ability to fly or glide using crafted or found items in their Blueprint post.

Now I structure my travel to deal with the cool downs. It's not awful especially since I tend to do my gathering just before I log out for the day so when I log back in the next day I can port back to my claim for the next round of building/crafting.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #548 on: April 02, 2014, 09:56:14 AM

I saw the devs flying around their claim in videos to do work. That would be mighty helpful. Is there a fly command or is that something only for alpha/devs?

Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:36 AM

I saw the devs flying around their claim in videos to do work. That would be mighty helpful. Is there a fly command or is that something only for alpha/devs?

Dev only. Players have the grappling hooks which  why so serious?

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: April 02, 2014, 10:18:50 AM

It would be really nice if there was a "god mode" for editing your claim without being yoked to your actual avatar. Preferably one with an undo button. After hours of grinding out tools, I staked a claim and started building today. I can already tell that I'm going to accidentally chisel through the outer wall of my structure and then spend fifteen minutes dicking with the grappling hook and smooth tool to fix it, like, a billion times.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:41 AM

Scheduled update, downtime=3 hrs...

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: April 02, 2014, 10:55:46 AM

...  I can already tell that I'm going to accidentally chisel through the outer wall of my structure and then spend fifteen minutes dicking with the grappling hook and smooth tool to fix it, like, a billion times.

This is the majority of my beta play so far...  awesome, for real cry

oh and...
Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where you couldn't build across Claim boundaries.

Tin should now appear more regularly at the end of copper veins.

Thank christ... the stupid primary secondary claim border issue was pissing me off. And tin... well, yeah... tin.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:00:22 AM by 01101010 »

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: April 02, 2014, 11:03:15 AM

There IS an undo function, ctl-z

It even works sometimes!

Also copy and paste with ctl-c and ctl-v.

Not sure about redo because my old brain cells keep forgetting the Windows control key for it so I don't think I've trid it.

Also alt-right(?) Click on a voxel while using the selection tool "picks" that voxel's texture like an eye dropper funtion.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: April 02, 2014, 12:20:55 PM

Closed beta to open beta wipe is only wiping claims (which will be templated), all of your mats and tool progression will be kept.
Well that makes a big difference.  I wasn't wanting to bother upgrading too far because I thought I'd lose all the mining and harvesting.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: April 02, 2014, 12:32:35 PM

I can find copper and trees, but I cannot find tin or gemstones. I can find stuff I think is tin, but I can't mine it with the stone pick.

patch should help fix this its supposed to be found at the end of most copper nodes but it was not actually doing it in game. Apparently that is getting sorted out. Also we can refine glowy building materials mmmm shiny.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: April 02, 2014, 12:35:53 PM

Sigh I know my claim is in the arse end of no where so I would like them to cut the the cool down time a lot. Still baby steps if they get the ley line stuff fully fleshed out it probably won't be as necessary to add more inter zone porting options. It really is one thing that still causes complaints about "lack of building spaces". It is not like there is any lack of claimable areas but everybody wants their claim as close to the portal spot as possible the more transportation options the more dispersed construction will be.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #557 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:43 PM

Just need to add shards of each zone teir.

"Me am play gods"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #558 on: April 02, 2014, 01:02:48 PM

It's kind of telling that I still have 3 keys left.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: April 02, 2014, 01:13:40 PM

It's kind of telling that I still have 3 keys left.

Honestly at this point there is still a LOT of the game that is left to be added its way more fun now than it has any real right to be but it is still pretty much the most basic land mass type with some very basic grouping/social features and basic building tools. That people are able to do some of the insane interesting designs we have seen is incredible for what is actually there currently.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: