Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332630 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: March 06, 2014, 02:32:47 AM

Templates can be traded 1-on-1, but cannot be sold in the Market Stalls for virtual coin. They can, however, be advertised at Market Stalls if they are accepted on Player Studio

So while it's possible to trade templates directly from one player to another, it won't be easy. They're going to push you towards buying templates through Player Studio, ie paying real money for them (paying Station Cash which you buy with real money), with SOE obviously taking a cut.

For those who haven't played the game, templates are designs. They can be anything from the design for an entire plot, with buildings, paths etc, or the design for a single item like a small statue.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:39 AM

Yeah, thats an interesting choice they are making. So you can go into business selling mass produced windows, doorways, wall sections and other pieces that have to be assembled to make a structure, or the whole structure even, but not the plans to make those pieces or that structure. Very weighted towards increasing the volume of trades.

I'm hoping they use this as an opportunity to give us some template editing capabilities at least, like changing materials or excluding props to allow more ability to use a template with a different set of resources than it was made with. I've already seen far more stupid than I care to though from some folks claiming nobody should ever be able to alter in any fashion under any circumstances their artistic creation WHICH THEY ONLY SOLD PLANS TO, not even the item itself!  I'm assuming that all such idiots are morally consistent in their wholehearted backing of RIAA, and all the wonderfully onerus DRM schemes the gaming companies have come up with, not to metion the "rights" of sellers to prevent you from, say, playing a song any differently than the sheet music they sold specifies, or altering that dress pattern in any way, orchanging anything on the architectural drawings they sold, or performing a play at all differently than it was written, etc.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: March 06, 2014, 10:40:45 AM

So when you buy a template and plunk down the building or object will you be able to make changes to it, if so will you be able to template the changed thing and turn around and sell the new template?  I'm thinking no, otherwise you'll see people making minor (maybe not even visible) changes and then selling the new thing cheaper than the original.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #388 on: March 06, 2014, 12:44:57 PM

I believe the whole 'original designer gets a cut' would impact that. Not sure how, but I'm sure they'll address it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #389 on: March 06, 2014, 02:03:26 PM

I think I'll move to Stump because, you know, a skunk sat on a stump.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: March 07, 2014, 01:25:09 AM

I believe the whole 'original designer gets a cut' would impact that. Not sure how, but I'm sure they'll address it.

What I would do if I were SOE is make it so that the original designer gets their whole fee from any copies made.  So if you use a guy's $5 castle and you mod it and put it up for sale, your castle must cost $5+x amount and guy gets $5 from each sale you make, and you get x.  Otherwise they're open up to situations where person A makes a castle, person B buys the castle, person B relists the castle for 25 cents, everyone buys the 25 cent version, original creator gets nothing.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #391 on: March 07, 2014, 01:34:45 AM

Remember in the original SWG? I was a tailor and if I remember correctly I was supposed to get XP over time if my clothes were being used/worn. Never been able to check if that was real or how it was being tracked, but it sounded amazing at the time.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: March 07, 2014, 03:07:22 AM

Patch Notes, March 6th 2014.

General Overview

This update lets you experience new biomes and islands, lets you torture test the new Smoothing tool, and provides you with extra room to spread out and build (attached claims)!
Unfortunately, the claims permission feature we wanted to release to you this week turned out to be more time intensive than we had hoped and it will slip until next week’s update.
So, more space this week (and a huge raft of bug fixes), a new tool to use, new areas to explore, new materials to build with and a ton of plants, rocks and trees to help round out your claims. Next week, is claim permissions, claim ratings, claim upkeep, groups and friends!
Enjoy!

Feature Updates
• Attached claims! You can now create an attached claim that must be placed directly next to an existing claim. You can craft an attached claim flag at the stone forge! Currently you can have up to 2 attached claims.
• New Smoothing Tool is in the game! This new tool will allow the system to add/remove voxels while smoothing in order to create more natural shapes and curves.
• There are 2 new biomes! Tundra and Old Growth Forest. To avoid having to do a claim wipe on the existing islands, we’re rolling out 12 new ones instead, bringing the total number of islands on each world to 50!

The rest of the notes under the spoiler...

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:12:15 AM by Falconeer »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #393 on: March 07, 2014, 09:06:06 AM

So I did it.  I packed up my claim and moved to Serenity Stump.  It suits me, although I am conflicted.   The Italian in me says build a marble house encrusted with jewels and crystal chandeliers in every room and the Norwegian side is wondering where all the white pine went.  It's my mother against my father! 

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #394 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:19 AM

You could compromise with jewel encrusted white pine chandeliers.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: March 07, 2014, 05:24:20 PM

Probably will pack up and move too. Though this has been a month long project, it's going away eventually anyway. I couldn't stick around for the server outage last night so hoping to get in tonight.

Oh and big updates to the Roadmap, notably week by week targets for the big features.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:28:36 PM by Darniaq »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: March 07, 2014, 05:35:07 PM

That's really cool Darniaq. And the chains are awesome.

Anyway, attacjed claims are in, which means people can do stuff 6 times bigger than before, including three times taller. I can't even imagine what people will pull off now.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: March 07, 2014, 07:36:51 PM

Thanks!

And ooh, attached claims. Maybe I'll just stay put then and see how big I can go with what may turn out to be a Citadel.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: March 07, 2014, 08:43:27 PM

Just in case people have missed it, there is currently a temporary limit of two attached claims as well as a lingering bug stopping some people from placing attached claims. My recommendation is to wait until the beginning of next week for them to shake out the current bugs.

Also, when crafting attached claim flags, be aware that there is one additional material that is required and that you have to scroll the materials need to make it visible.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: March 08, 2014, 06:46:50 AM

In my travels I somehow amassed enough material to craft four Claim Flags  once I found just a few more Elemental Tin. I was able to place both attachments and decided to stay put, if for no other reason than it won't matter when they wipe anyway. But also because the music just works so well in my desert location smiley
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #400 on: March 08, 2014, 07:51:25 AM

You can only have three claims so far though, right?  I put down three in the old forest and I have views of the snowy mountains.  I'm still upgrading all my tools and machines so I haven't made anything but a stone slab to put them on so far.  I have a feeling, since I'm so fucking slow at everything, that I'll still be upgrading when they wipe me.  I love the forest areas and it's way easier to get burled wood for some reason.  I use one 10% ring and one fast ring.  I think I might see what I get with two fast rings though.  Some of those giant trees take forever to explode.  Now that I can mine red stuff it makes me want to build Camp Crystal Lake.

Wait, what?  PvP? Griefing??   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:04:22 AM by Signe »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: March 10, 2014, 03:15:02 AM

Some more "holy fuck, how is this even possible..."

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: March 10, 2014, 07:18:30 AM

The people who predicted a bunch of dirt boxes all over the place look rather silly now. Even very average people are making interesting things.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:43 AM

Seriously.

The silliest thing I've seen is this one, and honestly it's hard to hate it.

Especially when the community keeps pumping out things like these:

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #404 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:03 AM

I am waiting for someone to make a Catan board.

I have never played WoW.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #405 on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:15 AM

More link failures.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:15 PM

I keep failing at roof dormer windows. I don't really want to look that up, but may need to soon.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: March 11, 2014, 09:49:53 PM

Yeah, some people are definitely putting out better projects than I'd have anticipated.  I'm certainly impressed.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: March 11, 2014, 09:52:35 PM

I don't think people were expecting dirt boxes, so much as penises. Penises everywhere.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:28 AM

I don't think people were expecting dirt boxes, so much as penises. Penises everywhere.

The funny thing is I have only come across one of them and that was deep in the basement of some guys huge fortress some weird penis altar. I am shocked and gladdened that otherwise most people are making pretty reasonable constructions and many are downright amazing
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: March 12, 2014, 09:00:29 AM

I don't think the penis invasion will ever be as bad as anyone predicted, if anything because the "rating" system will make it pretty easy to report and ban such pieces of art. But in fairness we cannot use the present situation as an indication of anything. Right only only people who shelled out 60+ dollars are in the game and you can safely say those people aren't interested in crafting penises nor in getting banned for it.

When the game will go free to play and making infinite free accounts will be as easy as... doodling a penis... then we'll see how bad things can get.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #411 on: March 12, 2014, 09:58:18 AM

I have not seen a penis yet.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: March 12, 2014, 11:07:16 AM

Ahem.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: March 12, 2014, 11:51:35 AM

I assume she's not counting the ones in her nightstand?   why so serious?
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: March 13, 2014, 04:45:13 AM

We're still in the pay-for-alpha phase aren't we?  Wait til the bar for entry gets lower...
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: March 13, 2014, 06:31:54 AM

We're still in the pay-for-alpha phase aren't we?  Wait til the bar for entry gets lower...

Yes if you have not gotten in yet I would just hold off till the 31st of this month as that is when in theory closed beta starts.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: March 13, 2014, 07:38:44 PM

quote worthy!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: March 13, 2014, 07:59:01 PM

quote worthy!
I don't think the penis quotations will be as bad as people expected.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #418 on: March 13, 2014, 09:45:59 PM

Anyway, I logged in for a little bit after the patch and things I've noticed (not many things, no penises):

The great big gnarly trees with moss all over them give nothing but burled wood and those other resources like jute, heartwood, etc. 
I have suddenly found a need for a lot of Heartwood and it's not so easy to come by but every tree gives you one on the last stroke.  I equipped two faster harvesting accessories (I forget what they're named) and scurried around chopping down all those smaller, thin trees and got a lot of heartwood that way really fast.  It doesn't seem to much matter what accessories you use, you still seem to get one or two burled wood, mostly two, and one Heartwood.  There's more machines you can build and that's why you need it.  And I think they added another axe made from rubicite which I don't remember seeing before.  There's a marketplace thingy but it doesn't work for me.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #419 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:31 PM

quote worthy!
I don't think the penis quotations will be as bad as people expected.

People are not paying to make dicks.  You will get those dicks for free.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: