Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2014  (Read 54648 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #210 on: October 16, 2014, 08:35:41 PM

Good. Their mayor is a smug douchenozzle.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #211 on: October 17, 2014, 08:17:06 AM

Predictions.

kc hasn't lost really, the giants are more experienced in these matters. Hot young team against the seasoned pros.

I back experience in these things. Giants in 6.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #212 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:04 AM

I'm rooting for the Royals because fuck the Giants. 1989, bitches.

WayAbvPar

Reply #213 on: October 17, 2014, 09:46:33 AM

Definitely rooting for the Royals. Giants have been there too often now.

I think George Brett is going to have a big series.

Wait, what?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #214 on: October 17, 2014, 10:56:18 AM

I'm rooting for the Royals because fuck the Giants. 1989, bitches.

How many times do we have to beat the Cardinals before you forgive us?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #215 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:12 AM

Andre Dawson says, "Infinity." His knees say "OW."

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #216 on: October 20, 2014, 12:24:10 AM

What did I miss? I see there was a series versus the Cubs but who cares? It was 4-1 how do you get to hold a grudge about being trashed?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #217 on: October 20, 2014, 11:12:43 AM

Cubs fans have to hold grudges to make us think we're important enough to matter in the MLB. Hint, we're not, but we'll still get more fans than most teams.  why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:37 PM

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That game almost killed me.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #219 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:53 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Can't wait for the 2016 season now.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #220 on: October 30, 2014, 05:43:11 AM

It's not 'because we suck at home' it's because we're not a good team period.  why so serious?

We had this discussion earlier in the year. Yet, the Giants are World Series champions again.

Between this and the Braves collapse, I'm just going back to being a casual fan of baseball. I'll enjoy it watching my Braves, and I'll enjoy the beginning of the season. But the way the playoffs are designed now, they don't reward the best teams at all, and it's just becoming more and more obvious every year. The addition of more wild cards has just turned it into an even bigger crapshoot than it was a decade ago.

Not that I begrudge the Giants for winning, they are obviously a team that can turn it on late, and they've created a even-year dynasty out of that fact. It's just, I don't think we should be able to see sub-90 win teams win the World Series. I don't think they should even BE there. Between more playoff spots and the money factor, I guess I'm just more disillusioned than ever that certain teams will ever win the World Series consistently ever again.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: October 30, 2014, 08:36:29 AM

Better get used to it, it's not going to go back to just division winners which are often settled by late july (only 2/6 divs had serious pennant races this season).

The wild card races attract interest in a dozen extra cities whose teams are still in striking distance of the two spots even in late September, thus a money maker for MLB.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #222 on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:11 AM

The numbers are frightening. Heading into Game 6, the Series was averaging 12.1 million viewers per game. Game 1 in Kansas City was the lowest-rated World Series opener of all time with an average of 12.2 million viewers, while Game 4 in San Francisco only drew an average of 10.7 million.

Sunday's Game 5 rose to a 12.6 million average, but still lost out to Sunday Night Football, where the Saints trounced the Packers. According to Variety, Sunday Night Football's ratings beat Game 5 by a 39 percent margin, the biggest difference since World Series games began competing against the Sunday night games on NBC in 2010.

If the goal is more viewers for their product? They aren't getting it. People don't watch baseball just because their teams are in races. They watch baseball because it's part of a summer routine, and it because it mostly runs unopposed until football starts. There's no new shows in the summer worth anything, and there's no other major sports competing for time. It's not going to shift suddenly due to the wild card. The one-game playoffs do well, but the dirty secret of TV is that Americans mostly hate series to decide things when it comes to TV. This is something the NBA struggles with as well. The finals only netted an average 9.3 rating in the NBA.

Meanwhile run of the mill NFL regular season games crush them.

WayAbvPar

Reply #223 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:24 AM

I NEVER watch regular season baseball apart from my team. I can't imagine anything duller. Hell, I barely kept an eye on the playoffs. The only reason I cared at all was because my team was so close to making it in the first place. If the Mariners had been eliminated by the trade deadline as per usual, I wouldn't have watched any of it.

Did see a funny Tweet last night about celebrating Giant fans rioting in the streets and unplugging a Tesla  awesome, for real

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:54 AM

If the goal is more viewers for their product? They aren't getting it. People don't watch baseball just because their teams are in races. They watch baseball because it's part of a summer routine, and it because it mostly runs unopposed until football starts. There's no new shows in the summer worth anything, and there's no other major sports competing for time. It's not going to shift suddenly due to the wild card. The one-game playoffs do well, but the dirty secret of TV is that Americans mostly hate series to decide things when it comes to TV. This is something the NBA struggles with as well. The finals only netted an average 9.3 rating in the NBA.

Meanwhile run of the mill NFL regular season games crush them.

I disagree. I was looking at media for a few teams like the Yankees and Blue Jays that still had some theoretical wild card hopes mid-Sept (4-5 or so games back, but on winning streaks), there was a lot of chatter still around the teams. That not be the case at all if they 10 back on Orioles and playoff chances effectively dead a month before.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #225 on: October 30, 2014, 10:14:21 AM

Speaking as a Cubs fan, whose team is usually out of it come May 1st, I can definitely say that wild cards increase viewership overall. I wouldn't have given two shits about the playoffs had it not been for the Royals and A's appearances (well, maybe I'd have given some interest because of the Orioles or Nats). But most of the division winners? I couldn't give two shits about seeing them in the playoffs. I would have checked out of the entire thing and only paid attention when someone won. As it was, I actually watched a playoff game for the first time since the last time the Cubs were in the playoffs. It not only keeps interest up in markets that aren't traditionally competitive, it also makes baseball fans whose teams suck interested in other teams who used to suck but might be dark horse contenders.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: October 30, 2014, 10:31:06 AM

Speed up the fucking games. Then I might actually watch. Arizona Fall League is experimenting with a 20 second pitch clock again.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #227 on: October 30, 2014, 10:42:17 AM

Speaking as a Cubs fan, whose team is usually out of it come May 1st, I can definitely say that wild cards increase viewership overall. I wouldn't have given two shits about the playoffs had it not been for the Royals and A's appearances (well, maybe I'd have given some interest because of the Orioles or Nats). But most of the division winners? I couldn't give two shits about seeing them in the playoffs. I would have checked out of the entire thing and only paid attention when someone won. As it was, I actually watched a playoff game for the first time since the last time the Cubs were in the playoffs. It not only keeps interest up in markets that aren't traditionally competitive, it also makes baseball fans whose teams suck interested in other teams who used to suck but might be dark horse contenders.

I'm the reverse. I watched zero games of these playoffs. Just don't care. But even if you are watching, the numbers aren't that great in the playoffs.

I can see how it might impact attendance to a degree, so they will keep doing it. But baseball is wondering where their viewers are coming from and they have three major issues to combat.

1 - The games are perceived as slow and dull, with an absurd amount of down time. Do not, however, point out that the actual dead time is less than an NFL game, or the length of games are shorter than a standard NFL game at the moment. That's why it's a perception problem. An average NFL game last year was 3 hours and 12 minutes. An average baseball game was 3 hours and 9 minutes.
2 - The game doesn't do a good job of connecting fans with players, and this has a few spokes on the wheel. An increasing number of players aren't Americans, the fanbase of baseball doesn't really see the players much before they get to the majors, and MLB has never handled the "star" national player thing well in promotion since baseball is seen as a regional game. Which is part of the final point.
3 - Because baseball plays daily, it removes some of the hype to the product, and it creates regional loves while spurning national interest. A Cubs fan can see 162 games a year of their team. A Bears fan sees 16. There's an opening for the Bears fan to give a shit about other games going on because he's not inundated with daily game after game. There's no build-up to baseball like there is to football. Nothing is decided quickly. Not every game is important or has potential impact. There is literally nothing they can do about this other than take advantage of the fact that baseball runs unopposed in the summer. They need to move the season so that it's ending in August, and the playoffs run in September. If you're adding on all this playoff shit, the season needs to be done in time to get it in before football has completely taken hold.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #228 on: October 30, 2014, 10:45:40 AM

Just as another point on this, the World Series in 1960 was done by October 13th, and it went 7 games. It's almost two weeks now of continued baseball that just goes on and on. There's also reason Spring Training can't be two weeks max.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #229 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:21 AM

Baseball won't cut down their season length, but yes, they absolutely need to.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #230 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:55 AM

It's moreso they just need to shift it and cut down on training. By March 15th we should be playing ball.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: October 30, 2014, 11:47:25 AM

Between more playoff spots and the money factor, I guess I'm just more disillusioned than ever that certain teams will ever win the World Series consistently ever again.

Well - part of it is that playoff baseball is different than the regular season in some ways other than 'anything can happen in a short series.' You can effectively shorten up your pitching staff because you know they're going to get a long break. Ned Yost milked the hell out of that with his best relievers, he could use them more aggressively and more often and the Giants basically did the same thing with Bumgarner.

The Giants also just had a weird damn season. Their injury problems were significant and I didn't think they'd recover from them in time. Belt and Morse both came back basically juuuuust in the nick of time and we were lucky that they didn't need much ramp up time to get back to being effective.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:50 PM

It's moreso they just need to shift it and cut down on training. By March 15th we should be playing ball.

Not in NY, Detroit, Minnesota, Boston etc etc you won't be.

Also comparing the NFL to MLB ain't a good one. Yes a football can be tedious but one, as you pointed out, there is only one game a week. Two, there are maybe 100-120 plays in a football game while there are upwards of 300? (pitches) in a baseball game.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: October 30, 2014, 12:39:31 PM

Really they don't "need" to do anything. They're making more money than they ever have, their move to an essentially regional model in terms of media instead of a national one has been enormously successful.

Also spring training is tons of fun to attend, cutting it to two weeks would suck and I'm not sure what you think it would accomplish in the first place. It isn't like the NFL preseason where they're trying to show it to you on TV and charging you full price for tickets to watch guys who are going to get cut the next day. You'd also see a lot more awful pitching in the first part of the regular season without it, I think.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #234 on: October 30, 2014, 01:18:37 PM

As long as attendance stays up, MLB will do nothing positive. That much is clear.

That much got us in trouble in the first place with the PEDs. I question whether or not it's good for the long-term vision of the game to turn a 162 game season into the NFL playoff format. Because you know if 5 playoff teams is good, why SIX is better. And we can have byes then for the top two division winners! NFL!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: October 30, 2014, 01:59:44 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. The 2 extra playoff teams amounts to a whole one extra day. I don't think they'll get to the point where they're like the NBA or NHL.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #236 on: October 30, 2014, 05:44:07 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. The 2 extra playoff teams amounts to a whole one extra day. I don't think they'll get to the point where they're like the NBA or NHL.

The NBA used to be only 6 teams. Then 8. Then 16. It kept creeping as the league expanded and the best of 5's became best of 7's.

I see a similar creep happening here, but much later. It won't be long until the NLDS is a 7 gamer in my mind. That's the first change that will happen. Then they'll want to get rid of the one-gamer. I don't think anybody really likes one game deciding things long term.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #237 on: November 17, 2014, 01:47:26 PM

Braves traded Jason Heyward for Shelby Miller.

I ain't mad.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: November 17, 2014, 10:14:37 PM

Jesus.  Miami signs Giancarlo Stanton to a 13 year $325 million deal. ACK!.  This guy will probably have over $350 million in the bank before he turns 40.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #239 on: November 18, 2014, 06:13:49 AM

By 2022, this will be A-Rod 2.0 type of a deal.

MLB GM's refuse to learn. You don't pay a guy $25M a year in his mid-to-late 30s. That era is gone.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: November 18, 2014, 12:07:11 PM

By the time he's in his late 30s stars will be making 40 million a year.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #241 on: November 18, 2014, 02:10:26 PM

Does anyone think he'll actually be on the same team by the time he's 35? Some idiot signed him to this retarded deal, some other idiot will trade prospects for him on the hopes of 2-3 years of 20 HR production.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #242 on: November 18, 2014, 02:33:37 PM

Disagree. I think this labor agreement is going to be brutal when it comes up soon.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: November 18, 2014, 03:33:37 PM

Disagree. I think this labor agreement is going to be brutal when it comes up soon.

I kind of doubt it. MLB teams are flush with new TV money.

Also note he has an opt-out 6 seasons in, and that's with the contract heavily backloaded. I don't think he bothers with that if the agent doesn't think there's a good chance that star money will be even more than the 30 million a year the deal is in the final 7 years.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #244 on: November 18, 2014, 04:46:12 PM

I hope you are right, I think we're in for a strike.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014  
Jump to: