Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:25:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2014  (Read 55052 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #140 on: July 04, 2014, 10:06:52 PM

Fuck's sake. Let's trade the only two pitchers we have that are consistently worth a shit for a shortstop prospect we don't fucking need (since we already have a starting MLB shortstop AND one of our system's best prospects, Baez, is a shortstop), a SINGLE-A outfielder hitting .241, and a fucking pitcher that got sent down to Triple-A for sucking ass on the team with the major's best record.

CUBS 2020!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #141 on: July 16, 2014, 07:08:06 AM

The Jeter stuff at the All-Star game was beyond annoying. We have to listen to knob-gobbling about a guy who should have retired 5 years ago, barring one good season.

And yet, not one thing about Tony Gwynn.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #142 on: July 16, 2014, 09:35:04 AM

And Gwynn never handed out herpes to dim Hollywood starlets like it was a business card. Or if he did, he did a lot better job keeping it quiet.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 16, 2014, 10:24:21 AM

All season... Why is every team having retirement ceremonies for this guy, right before they play him? It's so weird. Never seen something like this in any other sport.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #144 on: July 16, 2014, 10:53:33 AM

All season... Why is every team having retirement ceremonies for this guy, right before they play him? It's so weird. Never seen something like this in any other sport.

They did it for Chipper Jones, too. It was strange to me as well. Many times it was like, here's a weird present and a handshake. Like the Astros got him a hat.

http://www.si.com/mlb/photos/2012/10/01chipper-jones-retirement-gifts

WayAbvPar

Reply #145 on: July 16, 2014, 10:57:10 AM

As usual, Drew Magary is inside my head again-
http://deadspin.com/the-hater-s-guide-to-derek-jeter-1605937020

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #146 on: July 16, 2014, 12:02:40 PM

As usual, Drew Magary is inside my head again-
http://deadspin.com/the-hater-s-guide-to-derek-jeter-1605937020

Once ESPN finds a pet monkey like Jeter or Tim Tebow to work the street organ, they'll make that fucker grind until it's just a pile of hair on the sidewalk. Derek Jeter could invent the hoverboard and I'd still hate his guts because ESPN forces him on me every half second. As with Tebow and LeBron, Derek Jeter now serves as a perpetual talking point. "Did anything happen today? Let's just say the name JETER for an hour." Jeter is just like any football team that becomes insufferable to you merely for its consistent run of attention. This isn't really Jeter's fault. He didn't build the shit-eating machine around him. But hey, tough fucking titty. He's Derek Jeter. He should be able to handle it. So fuck him and fuck the Yankees.

There has never been so apt an explanation of why ESPN makes me hate these guys. It's so true. They overexpose the hell out of them to the point I just want to be like THEY AREN'T THAT GOOD. Even if they were that good, they aren't now. Why is ESPN still doing this? Monkey grinder, fuck you that's why.

WayAbvPar

Reply #147 on: July 16, 2014, 12:50:59 PM

I went to play poker last Saturday night (the day LBJ announced he was going to back to Cleveland). After the Mariners game ended, all the TVs in the poker room were tuned to ESPN. I literally saw nothing but LeBron for 3 or 4 straight hours. It was fucking nauseating.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #148 on: July 22, 2014, 11:56:15 PM

Good news/bad news:

We just won an awesome 14 inning game against the Phillies to take sole possession of first place again! But our second baseman sprained his ankle and UGGLA is waiting in AAA.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 23, 2014, 12:06:36 AM

Also this happened today. While it did happen last night, this picture turns out to be from last year. Can't find a picture of last night's version, but imagine it happening at first base instead and Freiman wearing the number 35.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:19:58 AM by Ingmar »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #150 on: July 23, 2014, 06:42:52 AM

Houston's contracts are based on height.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 23, 2014, 11:03:20 AM

I would love to get that guy somehow, but our trade bait is kind of terrible right now.

WayAbvPar

Reply #152 on: July 23, 2014, 04:50:04 PM

Yeah he can flat out play.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #153 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:36 PM

He can play AND he's just so fucking adorable eeeeeee. <3

God Save the Horn Players
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:11 AM

Lester and Gomes to the A's for Cespesides? (sp)

I'm going to laugh if Lester signs with someone other than the Sox after the season.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 31, 2014, 07:21:21 AM

gawd the A's are stacked

if they're really going balls deep here, wouldn't be surprised if they package Gomes + prospect for a better replacement for Cespedes
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #156 on: July 31, 2014, 07:21:40 AM

Was just coming to mention that.  I love this trade.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:49 AM

I'm going to laugh if Lester signs with someone other than the Sox after the season.

Probably will sign elsewhere. In the NHL you get a lot of these rental trades every year, and guys almost never sign back with their original team once they are in free agency off-season, even former lifers. I can only think of a couple of instances, none recent.

All the history is quickly forgotten, especially with the euphoria of a playoff run on the new good team contrasted with the dim prospects of old bad team that's not going anywhere (why they had to trade the player off in the first place).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #158 on: July 31, 2014, 08:03:13 AM

The A's got Jeff Samardzija and now Lester? Fuck me. The thought of facing that rotation in a seven game series should make any manager shit their pants.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #159 on: July 31, 2014, 01:47:10 PM

The David Price trade makes no fucking sense.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #160 on: July 31, 2014, 02:06:36 PM

Also I think we just traded the Cubs magic beans for a lefty reliever and a lead off guy.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:26 PM

For which side?

WayAbvPar

Reply #162 on: July 31, 2014, 03:48:02 PM

Works just fine for the Mariners, as far as I am concerned. They get a clear upgrade in the outfield for a guy who has no place to play at the ML level. Jack Z didn't step on his dick for once!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #163 on: July 31, 2014, 03:50:28 PM

For which side?

For value. I feel like that was light for Price. Maybe that was his value, but I feel the Braves could have done better.

WayAbvPar

Reply #164 on: July 31, 2014, 03:53:31 PM

He is going to get $20M next year, so Tampa was pretty excited about getting rid of him.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #165 on: July 31, 2014, 06:00:30 PM

And if they'd kept him, there was still a good chance they missed the playoffs and got nothing at all for him in return.

Can't believe the Pirates did nothing at all, though.  Cripes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #166 on: July 31, 2014, 06:02:43 PM

Can't believe the Pirates did nothing at all, though.  Cripes.

Oh I can... the owner is a tight wad. Winning doesn't matter, being just good enough to fill the seats while making bank and not having to pay anyone on the team is what counts. At least that is the rumor here.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #167 on: July 31, 2014, 06:23:57 PM

Also I think we just traded the Cubs magic beans for a lefty reliever and a lead off guy.

Fuck me, you did. Cash and a single-A catcher. THE FUCK?

Seriously, I have no fucking idea what they are up to there. Bonifacio was one of the surprise hits of the year, can play a ton of positions and manages to hit well no matter where he's playing. Also has speed. Russell isn't a bad reliever either.

I'm not sure when Epstein thinks the Cubs should be winning, but it ain't next year.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #168 on: August 01, 2014, 05:50:30 AM

Oh I can... the owner is a tight wad. Winning doesn't matter, being just good enough to fill the seats while making bank and not having to pay anyone on the team is what counts. At least that is the rumor here.

Well yeah, but sooner or later the "hey, we're over .500 again!" glow will start to wear off and people will want to actually achieve something in the playoffs besides beating the Reds in the wildcard game.  This year, they'll probably have to beat the Cardinals there.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #169 on: August 01, 2014, 06:22:47 AM

ESPN was jumping on the Price trade today. Seems like it was pretty common amongst those "analysts" that they questioned if Tampa got enough for him.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #170 on: August 06, 2014, 09:17:24 AM

Adam Dunn pitched the 9th inning for the White Sox last night.

"If he hit somebody, we can't charge the mound because he's too big," Beltre said.
WayAbvPar

Reply #171 on: August 06, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

I love Adrian Beltre. Wish he was still a Mariner. Very good player, and seems to have a good perspective/outlook on things.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 09, 2014, 07:04:35 PM

I love Adrian Beltre. Wish he was still a Mariner. Very good player, and seems to have a good perspective/outlook on things.

It's one of the things I always enjoy most about baseball - a lot of players seem to keep a pretty even perspective and sense of humor about things.  Obviously not all of them, but enough to serve as a reminder as to how the game is meant to be played.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #173 on: August 12, 2014, 12:27:08 PM

There are teams doing well right now that I think have staying power.

Toronto - They are second in team OPS in the league, first in scoring runs, first in homers, but 20th in team ERA. The only question is if they can continue to outhit their pitching. I think yes.
San Fran - 3rd in pitching, 8th in runs, 14th in OPS. The pitching is carrying the Giants, as usual. I think the team can hit better as well, and they control their division.
Oakland - There's nobody functional behind Oakland atm. They are 3rd in OPS, 3rd in homers, and 1st in ERA. They aren't going anywhere. The only question is can they win in the first round? History says no.

Then there are the teams I think are bound to fade if they don't get their shit together

Atlanta - Great pitching, but the team can't score. 29th in runs, only ahead of the pitiful Padres. The fact Atlanta is tied for a division lead is an indictment of the division.
Detroit - Dead average in runs scored, but 4th in OPS. For some reason they aren't pushing runs across. Their main problem is a staff ERA over 4.00, and a Verlander that isn't very Verlander.
Milwaukee - They've feasted on an easy schedule thus far, but when Milwaukee plays good teams (top 2 of their division), they are 9-10. They are feasting on crap teams right now and I think that won't last.

So how are my June predictions looking in mid-August? Well Toronto's pitching has caught up with them, and they are now fighting for a wild card slot, with almost no chance at the division. I should know better than to bet on hitting over pitching, but oh well. San Francisco has shit the bed completely because they suck at home. So that's another one where they are fighting for a wild card slot. Oakland isn't going anywhere I could have picked them to win that division in early May, and I think they will.

I was right on the money with Atlanta. They can't fucking score and it's murdering the team. They aren't in the division lead and aren't in the running for the wild card. They are done unless they can cobble together something fast. KC has overtaken Detroit, and I feel like I'm right on them as well. I don't trust their pitching at all, and I think they end up missing the playoffs. I am wrong so far on Milwaukee, but that division is really tightening up. I think by the end they may take a hard tumble.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 12, 2014, 12:39:34 PM

It's not 'because we suck at home' it's because we're not a good team period.  why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014  
Jump to: