Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:33:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2014  (Read 54652 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

on: January 21, 2014, 02:20:54 PM

New year, new thread, pitchers and catchers report in 22 days!

Let's start off with something that seems like it should be an Onion article: first recipient of Bud Selig Leadership Award to be ... Bud Selig.

http://www.baseballnation.com/hot-corner/2014/1/21/5332138/commissioner-bud-selig-leadership-award

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:47:25 PM

The award should have Lady Justice blindfolded, injecting herself with HGH.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:33:10 AM

Tanaka to the Yankees, 7 years $155M. Not the Dodgers!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:17:32 PM

Quick, tell me how awesome the Jays will be this year.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:27:25 PM

Tanaka to the Yankees, 7 years $155M. Not the Dodgers!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Not the Dodgers! Yay!

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:42 PM

Quick, tell me how awesome the Jays will be this year.

This is their year, man. They are finally gonna club those overspending Red Sox and Yankees.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:08:28 PM

Yankees will be lucky to keep their starting lineup unhurt, mind you. Rays and Os can still be a problem as well, though.

Even so, bottom line for the Jays is they could still contend for a playoff spot with fewer injury problems (esp. on the left side of the infield) and bounceback years from their pitchers. I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it, but they have a shot.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:07:53 PM by Ingmar »

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:31:03 PM

Angelos is too busy attempting to take that extra 25 million he got last year to the grave with him for the O's to do a whole lot this season.

Balfour and now Colvin both fell through due to "concerns with their physical" and we traded away JJ (which my liver will probably appreciate) for a AAA infielder.

In total salary this year, the O's are projected around $82 million. By contrast, thanks to Selig letting the Yankees off the hook for A-Rod, that freed up the Yankees wallet to go ahead and pick up Tanaka, who combined with four other Yankees will have a payroll of 92 million for just the five of them, ignoring the rest of the roster.

Argh! Argh! Argh!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:11 PM

Well yes, but that kind of ignores that several of those guys aren't worth nearly what the Yankees are paying to get them. Being a rich team is more about being able to afford to make stupid mistakes than it is about being able to buy good players.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:54:51 PM

Well yes, but that kind of ignores that several of those guys aren't worth nearly what the Yankees are paying to get them. Being a rich team is more about being able to afford to make stupid mistakes than it is about being able to buy good players.

It's a fine line. The Yankees are notorious for throwing money out the wazoo and overpaying players without any type of real repercussion.  And hell, we saw that last year when I think they basically bought a new team by the All Star break due to injuries.

It really comes down to two things - either you draft well and have a solid farm system to develop players (the Rays) or you buy like money is going out of style (Yankees and to a lesser extent, the Red Sox).  The O's have tried both things and done a piss poor job of it, which is why they are what they are right now.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 11:45:54 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 12:46:26 PM

More Yankees stuff

Goddamn I love the Onion. #2 was especially cutting (and made me laugh the hardest).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 02:36:12 PM

Harold Baines.  why so serious?

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 12:59:23 PM

Angelos is too busy attempting to take that extra 25 million he got last year to the grave with him for the O's to do a whole lot this season.

Balfour and now Colvin both fell through due to "concerns with their physical" and we traded away JJ (which my liver will probably appreciate) for a AAA infielder.

In total salary this year, the O's are projected around $82 million. By contrast, thanks to Selig letting the Yankees off the hook for A-Rod, that freed up the Yankees wallet to go ahead and pick up Tanaka, who combined with four other Yankees will have a payroll of 92 million for just the five of them, ignoring the rest of the roster.

Argh! Argh! Argh!

Okay - since the O's decided to go ahead and spend money like it's going out of style this week, I have to take back what I've said.  Jimenez, Cruz, and Yoon, and there's talk they may pick up another bat in the next day or two. Craziness.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:47 PM

Spring Training starts on Wednesday for the Braves. About damn time. I hate February.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:41:52 PM

I'm almost excited to live close enough to see some Orioles games this year.  But I'll stick with the Nationals in the meantime, they're definitely going to bounce back.  Right?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 01:49:36 PM

I'm almost excited to live close enough to see some Orioles games this year.  But I'll stick with the Nationals in the meantime, they're definitely going to bounce back.  Right?

Hard to say. You'd think they would be better, but they weren't exactly awful last season at 86 wins. If they get 4 wins better, they could easily get back in the playoffs.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 01:55:28 PM

They upgraded their pitching, and one assumes Bryce Harper won't pick any fights with outfield walls this season.  Should be interesting.

Sadly, I expect the Pirates to regress significantly.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:17 PM

With weekend MARC service, I'm even tempted to travel down to DC when we do the Beltway series this season.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 02:21:54 PM

They upgraded their pitching, and one assumes Bryce Harper won't pick any fights with outfield walls this season.  Should be interesting.

Sadly, I expect the Pirates to regress significantly.

I didn't expect the Pirates to finish, let alone do it again. Who knows?

Nats have no excuse why they can't win the division. The Braves upgraded literally nothing. They just resigned all their young talent.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 10:34:18 PM

Dat Cabrera deal. I have a feeling that's going to look awful in ~5 years.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 05:54:00 AM

If they didn't, someone else was going to throw that money at him in two years.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:46 AM

Doesn't matter if they did. Baseball GM's still haven't learned anything apparently. They are just as dumb as the people who signed every A-Rod deal.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 08:00:19 AM

I think Cabrera is a fantastic fucking player. But holy shit... baseball GM's deserve derision for being THIS FUCKING STUPID. The dude is turning 31 in April. This contract is valuing him at age 39 as valuable as he is now at 31. That's just crazy. Not even the best players in the world were that good at that age. Hell, even juiced as shit Bonds had down years at that age. There's just no way he remains that valuable that long and when he declines and you have some hot young stud begging for playing time in Triple-A and Miggy has to be the DH part-time, you can't fucking trade a contract like that. It's just insane. I thought the 10-year Fielder contract was not great but acceptable but he's 4 years younger.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 08:37:02 AM

What is wrong with letting a great player walk at 32? Honestly. I don't know what metrics GM's are looking at when they want to pay more for a guy's production from 32-37. It's insanity, and it's going to hamstring Detroit from this point forward. They've already managed to completely piss off Max Scherzer.

Here's what I want GM's to realize. You're better off cutting a guy a deal for $35M and 4 years.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 10:58:49 AM

It's not so much the money as it is the length. I could understand a 7 year deal for a guy like Cabrera.

Without collusion (illegal) you're never going to see 4 year deals become the standard. Some other team is always going to give the guy the extra year(s) to get them to come there if the player actually hits free agency.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 11:46:01 AM

Yeah, a 7-year deal, while still not going to be a great deal, is a helluva lot better than 10. The deal is actually an 8-year extension on his current deal which runs for 2 more years, so a 7-year would have ended when he was 36. MUCH better economics on that one.

WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 11:56:11 AM

But the player knows that some dumbfuck will give him 10, so that is what he will get eventually. Or collusion, I guess.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 12:18:28 PM

My point is that if you're willing to pay a guy 290M over 10 years, why not make him a $200M deal for 5 years. Yeah it's $40M a year, but you're getting the best years, and you're not hamstringing the team with $90M on the back end that's pointless.

Make it so the player would have to be almost crazy to turn you down for that amount per year. There's no cap here.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 12:29:58 PM

Because of cash flow. If you're paying him 40 million a year for 5 years presumably you just pushed the market up so you'll be paying some other guy a significant fraction of that for the next 5 years, etc., so you end up raising your payroll by a bunch.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 12:34:01 PM

At some point, the salaries need to swing the other way, that's my point. We need to stop paying steroid era salaries to 30 year old players.

Fuck it, we all know they need a cap. This is all because baseball is the only sport still doing this pay-to-win nonsense. If you're not in the big dollar club, your chances are shitty of taking home a title.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 01:24:33 PM

Pay to win works less well in baseball than other sports, as far as I can tell.  They need to go to an NFL type system in both the NBA and MLB, in my humble opinion. 
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 02:34:06 PM

What is wrong with letting a great player walk at 32? Honestly. I don't know what metrics GM's are looking at when they want to pay more for a guy's production from 32-37. It's insanity, and it's going to hamstring Detroit from this point forward. They've already managed to completely piss off Max Scherzer.

Here's what I want GM's to realize. You're better off cutting a guy a deal for $35M and 4 years.

Of course they're better off cutting a guy a small money deal for less years. But they're worse off if someone else decides they will pay them a large money deal for more years because players prefer that.

Preliminary numbers seem to indicate that the deal is not nearly so bad as people make it out to be depending on what happens to the guy

http://regressing.deadspin.com/okay-so-miguel-cabreras-contract-is-bad-just-how-bad-1553701023/@marchman
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 02:34:33 PM

Ingmar and I really disagree on this, but I believe there should be a way to pay a vested percentage of a guy's remaining contract and be done with him.

There's just too many examples of guys stealing money in their 30s from teams and the fans, hamstringing organizations. His argument is to GM better or not sign the deals, but the market forces with no cap hurt other teams who can't simply buy their way out of problems. That's the real issue with no cap. These high dollar teams wreck the salary curve, then can just absorb terrible decisions, while the smaller market teams may have 1-2 contracts that submarine the franchise for a 5 years.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 07:46:46 PM

Braves get shut out on opening day. Fitting, considering it's the Brewers, who shut us out more than anybody in the NL.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014  
Jump to: